Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DCIPalestine/status/1736764560776867896?t=GFD0DwSTWth7qpXXSx1R-g&s=19

gently caress, dti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Hamas tunnel systems

George: I have a confession! I cheated, Jerry!
Jerry: What!?
George: In the genocide contest!
Jerry: Why?
George: Because I'm a cheater!
Hamas guard: Please be quiet.
Jerry, grumbling: Master of my domain, right.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
gdi

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Hamas tunnel systems

Griz
May 21, 2001

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How the gently caress do you get rid of all your supply ships!? Is there any precedent for this?

the tenders didn't have the ability to reload the VLS cells at sea anyway

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2023/03/28/us-navy-prioritizes-game-changing-rearming-capability-for-ships/

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

It's pretty clear at this point the Israeli KIA count is only applicable to deaths undeniably caught on camera or high ranking.

Otherwise how would one grizzled old nazi's immediate relatives be 2% of casualties

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Hamas tunnel systems

Where is the smarxist edit of "it's the third infantada Jerry"

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How the gently caress do you get rid of all your supply ships!? Is there any precedent for this?

I think we're just mostly past the age of ship combat so it doesn't make that much sense to put a thousand people on a supply ship to prolong theoretical naval battles that aren't likely to occur

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I think we're just mostly past the age of ship combat so it doesn't make that much sense to put a thousand people on a supply ship to prolong theoretical naval battles that aren't likely to occur

- Every MIC theorist since 1991

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Frosted Flake posted:

- Every MIC theorist since 1991

:shrug:

How many naval battles have we had since 1991 across all navies worldwide?

Of that vanishingly small number what percentage of them were between peer combatants?

They're not wrong

I'm sure this vessel made a lot of sense in it's day and could expand the combat capacity of our navy I just don't see the point

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

just in time warfare

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Capital recognizes that the military is not productive labour and so tries to get rid of it, while also requiring empire to maintain exploitation. It works as long as the natives don't get restless.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

text editor posted:

Posted the article but not the title - shameful

lmao

what

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Spaced God posted:

Where is the smarxist edit of "it's the third infantada Jerry"

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

(oldie but a goody)

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I mean, then why even park those carriers off the coast in the first place?? What if someone actually calls your bluff? What then???

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Youd think as a self professed 'philosemite' shed embrace a name that was approved by a jewish guy

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Don't you still want some sort of supply ship that follows behind with fuel and weaponry and food?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I mean, then why even park those carriers off the coast in the first place?? What if someone actually calls your bluff? What then???

This is a bad example because carriers can literally just have a supply plane land on the deck

The supply ship is needed for destroyers, which haven't served in their intended battlefield role in about eighty years. Also, notably, between the point we last actually needed these things (1948) and today, we built virtually every type of aerial supply vehicle we use today

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Of that vanishingly small number what percentage of them were between peer combatants?

They're not wrong

I'm sure this vessel made a lot of sense in it's day and could expand the combat capacity of our navy I just don't see the point

This is the fundamental flaw with the logic.

Military spending on warships is inherently wasteful because a military is not a business. Full stop.

The entire purpose of a warship - since the time when they accounted for 40% of the total state budget - is that you incur huge costs in labour, materials, maintenance for something that hopefully never sees use. You don't want your warships to fire their guns in anger. You want, ideally, for their entire 20-30 year careers to be spent "wasted" because your country is at peace.

That's always been understood. It doesn't matter how many battles have taken place in whatever interval - because remember it was 100 years between Trafalgar and Jutland too - because you need to have the capacity to fight and win that battle, including resupplying a fleet at sea, before it ever happens.

This is very, very hard for people in contemporary society to understand, but this is the logic of all military capacity.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Don't you still want some sort of supply ship that follows behind with fuel and weaponry and food?

The ship's never going to be more than a day or two's voyage from a friendly port, why bother! :rolleye:

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They call it an aircraft carrier

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Frosted Flake posted:

Military spending on warships is inherently wasteful because a military is not a business. Full stop.

The entire purpose of a warship - since the time when they accounted for 40% of the total state budget - is that you incur huge costs in labour, materials, maintenance for something that hopefully never sees use. You don't want your warships to fire their guns in anger. You want, ideally, for their entire 20-30 year careers to be spent "wasted" because your country is at peace.

That's always been understood. It doesn't matter how many battles have taken place in whatever interval - because remember it was 100 years between Trafalgar and Jutland too - because you need to have the capacity to fight and win that battle, including resupplying a fleet at sea, before it ever happens.

This is very, very hard for people in contemporary society to understand, but this is the logic of all military capacity.

It's been eighty years and the invention of cruise missiles since the last time a destroyer fought another ship in serious combat and one of the few recentish examples I can find of their use is them getting sunk by missiles in the Falklands

I'm not saying ships don't need to exist, I'm just saying they don't need to be resupplied at sea anymore because most of them aren't even firing their guns

We don't actually need to spend a trillion dollars on useless boondoggle weapons every year

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Frosted Flake posted:

I think the unspoken logic is that if someone is both capable and willing to sink a us carrier then the nukes are going to be launched, so the supply ships would be useless anyway. This thinking is of course rapidly becoming outdated now that any non state actor can slap poo poo on a drone swarm.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

:laffo:

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
What a loving crybaby lol

https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1736734700603916384?t=AchzwRvV072oJp5IMGpSuA&s=19

Go back to New York rear end in a top hat

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sancho Banana posted:

https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1736734700603916384?t=AchzwRvV072oJp5IMGpSuA&s=19

all these guys end up ganked why do they keep recording these videos of trashing people's stuff

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Sancho Banana posted:

Dude is desperate to show up on telegram

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

holy poo poo

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Sancho Banana posted:

Going to be a former new Yorker soon

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Nonsense posted:

Goodbye Jerry

"Jerry! Jerry, the Iron Dome is down!! We gotta get out of here!"

"Down? What do you mean down?"

"Down, Jerry! Oh god, my mother told me not to come here with you! The first time I don't listen to her!"

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

just in time warfare

This Justin Time guy has a lot to answer for

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

i sure am glad joseph r biden decided to send israel an additional 45,000 tank shells to secure peace and freedom

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Sancho Banana posted:

imo its fine to dedicate the book to martyrs but lmao people in the replies pointing out that the page that the dedication is written on has weird folds that dont show up on the page before or after it. fold that you would expect from a piece of paper folded so you could fit it in your pocket

Ringo Roadagain has issued a correction as of 21:40 on Dec 18, 2023

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
noy leyb... star wars rear end name

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

This is a bad example because carriers can literally just have a supply plane land on the deck

The supply ship is needed for destroyers, which haven't served in their intended battlefield role in about eighty years. Also, notably, between the point we last actually needed these things (1948) and today, we built virtually every type of aerial supply vehicle we use today

The intended role of destroyers is to protect other larger ships. That was originally from torpedo boats, by WW2 it was from primarily submarines and aircraft. Nowadays it's mostly against missiles and drones. We have seen in this very conflict American destroyers doing this, shooting down attacks on commercial shipping.

As to resupplying via plane, using a fully loaded C-130 (largest plane to land on a carrier, don't know if it can do so fully loaded), you get about 4% of the (admittedly over the top) max bomb load for the F/A-18s on board. Do you think it is practical to do 25 supply landings per bombing run? Ships are an infinitely more practical way of resupply.

This is mostly a function of nuclear weapons and MAD, but the lack of direct naval conflict between ships operated by peer great powers doesn't mean ships haven't been fighting. The destroyer as a class is kind of merging into cruisers because both just want a shitload of missiles on board. Attacking targets on land still requires resupply. As does operating air defence.

That's like a fifth of the entire system lmao

Lets fuckin gooooo

I presume they mean 2 launchers, which is at least 5% of the system, per the military balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
It's going to be the Aluminium Sieve soon