Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Torts would be one of the greatest assistant coaches of all time, but it pays a lot more to be a mediocre HC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
He's a slightly better Paul Maurice.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Talk about damning with faint praise.

I dont like Torts simply because he is a homophobic racist piece of trash relic.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pens are done and honestly it doesn't matter much, imo, if they fire Sullivan or not, but they probably should if they even want to pretend to 'compete'. That said I don't think it really matters who the coach is when you're rostering 4 non-NHLers in Ludvig, Harkins, Gruden, and Carter. Plus some tweeners in DoC, Zohorna, and Vinnie. Topped of with Ryan Graves is barely a 3rd pairing defenseman and Sullivan refuses to play PoJ and instead elevates Ludvig......which neither is probably a good answer so R I P.

SO REJOICE the Penguins are Columbus bad.

I don't even know what I'd do if I were Dubas. The Pens can't rebuild even if they wanted to. Kinda stuck until the core retires.

Guess I'd consider trading Guentzel for a haul. I've been adamantly against that but if they keep going the way they are there's really no reason to hold onto him.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 17, 2023

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
At least Trouba believes in The Code

https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1736235671398846528

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Torts would be one of the greatest assistant coaches of all time, but it pays a lot more to be a mediocre HC

some wild rear end takes ITT

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Face it. He's the Fat Sam of the NHL. Won't get you relegated, but you won't go beyond mid table. In many ways he's actively detrimental because of that. Languishing in mediocrity and with, at best, a first round exit. He will make a bad team competitive night in night out, but never anything beyond that. Which would be why he's never seen a finals since the '03-04 win.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
"Rich man's Paul Maurice" is an accurate description of Torts imo. If you have an awful team and no #1 pick savior coming in and want it to improve quickly, Torts is the guy you want. But you need to move on from him after 3 years tops.

Give him 8th place talent and he'll quickly deliver you a 4th place team; give him 1st place talent and he'll quickly deliver you a 4th place team--that's the tagline of the coaching family whose standard Torts and Maurice carry. Maurice isn't a bad coach per se--it's just that mediocrity is his expertise, and he will swiftly land there from either direction.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I won't pretend to understand coaching vibes but he probably deserves some credit for dragging the blue jackets past the 62-win Lightning that one year.

but yes he gave exactly one gently caress during his entire tenure in Vancouver and that was when he wanted to fight Hartley.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

the number of points the devils have dropped to terrible teams is getting ridiculous

a large part of it has been that they're unbelievably awful on game 2 of back-to-backs. they've lost to arizona, washington, st. louis, san jose, edmonton, and now anaheim in that scenario and beaten only buffalo

somehow they have another eight back-to-backs on the schedule which seems like a very high number

secret volcano lair fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 18, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

secret volcano lair posted:

the number of points the devils have dropped to terrible teams is getting ridiculous

a large part of it has been that they're unbelievably awful on game 2 of back-to-backs. they've lost to arizona, washington, st. louis, san jose, edmonton, and now anaheim in that scenario and beaten only buffalo

somehow they have another eight back-to-backs on the schedule which seems like a very high number

But did you check the deserve to win o meter?

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

they just pulled the goalie with 8 minutes left in the game and immediately let in an ENG they deserve nothing
except maybe a new coach

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

secret volcano lair posted:

Rangers have a ton too and then giant gaps during the week. it sucks.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
whatever surgery timo meier needs to get, he should probably get at this point

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

bunnyofdoom posted:

Has DJ Smith been fired yet?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

whatever surgery timo meier needs to get, he should probably get at this point

I thought he was turning the corner lately and then this game tonight, ugh

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Couple of bad bounces that didn’t go our way, if we play that way every night we’ll win more often than not, really liked the teams start tonight

How do you spend almost a billion dollars on this team and refuse to fire the very bad coach that has the team out of the playoff picture by December like every other season he’s coached

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Nah we are 0-4 since the last drubbing. This more than unlucky

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres went from dunking on the #1 team in the league on Friday to getting shutout but a garbage goalie on Saturday. This is the most frustrating team to watch right now. They have put themselves in a position where they’d have to win at least 30 of their remaining 50 games to even come close to a playoff berth. Seems bad!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Capitals are now 5-0 when playing the second game of a back to back. I seriously don’t know what the gently caress to make of this team. By all accounts they should be racing Pittsburgh to the cellar of the league. I’ll enjoy the ride while it lasts but they have to start loosing games soon, right?
:shepface:

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Eesh yeah the Devils are definitely frustratingly inconsistent. It seemed like they were on a nice run, playing better defensively and 8-2 in their last 10. I get that it's their 3rd game in 4 days, so I'm not gonna grill them too hard, but they need to really find their game. They're currently being carried by their 3 stars and that's not enough. Meier has truly been terrible

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

But in the end, he turned out to be Lindy Ruff after all.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I don't have any issues with Ruff, putting it on him is weird imo. Players love the guy and I do think his system suits the team well, and they have been picking it up defensively. Horrible goaltending really has cost them, they could easily be 19-9-1 instead of 16-12-1

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Is it possible for an entire eastern conference to be fraudulent?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fawning deference posted:

Eesh yeah the Devils are definitely frustratingly inconsistent. It seemed like they were on a nice run, playing better defensively and 8-2 in their last 10. I get that it's their 3rd game in 4 days, so I'm not gonna grill them too hard, but they need to really find their game. They're currently being carried by their 3 stars and that's not enough. Meier has truly been terrible

If they end up missing the playoffs by a few points they just loving lost to the Ducks and Sharks lol.........

That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo bad

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Sabres went from dunking on the #1 team in the league on Friday to getting shutout but a garbage goalie on Saturday. This is the most frustrating team to watch right now. They have put themselves in a position where they’d have to win at least 30 of their remaining 50 games to even come close to a playoff berth. Seems bad!

The Atlantic owns, fun watching all the Sabres, Sens and Red Wings fans get their hopes up in September every year before settling back into their seemingly eternal rebuilds by mid-December

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is it possible for an entire eastern conference to be fraudulent?

Everybody in the metro has imposter syndrome.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Senators/status/1736824934679425269

Lol didn't take long for Jacques to take the reigns

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Lmao jacques is back

Get ready for 2-1 hockey ottawa

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'll be surprised if Ottawa doesn't dramatically and pretty much immediately improve.

Meanwhile the Pens are tied with the Sabres for 14th place in the East. They won't be making the playoffs, but they still should be trying their damnedest to get out of the bottom 10. Or else they stand an uncomfortably good chance of handing the #1 pick to San Jose in 2025. Thanks Kyle!

e: why the gently caress he top-ten protected it instead of just like top-three, I will never understand

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 18, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Today I learned that Jacques Martin has a better point% in the regular season of .551 with as many games coached as John Tortorella who has .544 and did a chuckle.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The sens are the most confusing and stark example of teams that look good on paper but bad on ice. It would be cool to see them try to turn it around.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't even know what I'd do if I were Dubas. The Pens can't rebuild even if they wanted to. Kinda stuck until the core retires.

Guess I'd consider trading Guentzel for a haul. I've been adamantly against that but if they keep going the way they are there's really no reason to hold onto him.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007475.html

I'd hate to see Guentzel go but after looking at this link - getting more first rounders is probably a good idea sooner than later.

I guess you can't really count the last few years just yet but I had no idea they've basically been mute in the draft for almost 10 years.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Carver posted:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007475.html

I'd hate to see Guentzel go but after looking at this link - getting more first rounders is probably a good idea sooner than later.

I guess you can't really count the last few years just yet but I had no idea they've basically been mute in the draft for almost 10 years.

The problem is you probably don't even get that much for Guentzel. Timo Meier didn't exactly bring in the world's greatest haul and he was an RFA and younger than Guentzel is now.

Pens would probably fetch a late first and a good prospect for moving Jake and that's entirely ehhh. I mean maybe still worth doing anyways because why keep him if the team is gonna be a non playoff team but it feels like both options with Jake are underwhelming. Either you keep him and he gets to wallow in mediocrity with the rest of the team or you move him for assets which probably won't amount to much.

They'll probably end up keeping him because Sid loves him and I doubt Doobie wants to rock the boat like that.

Also lol that another coach has been shitcanned and Mike Sullivan forever baby

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Pens should trade Karlsson and Crosby

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
For forget #HakstolOut.

And the Kraken are playing worse than the Pens. No I will not take questions. Last I looked they had a 6% shooting percentage.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Up to about Oskar Sundqvist the Pens were pretty good at drafting and producing cheap and vaguely effective bottom 6ers... specifically 4th liners that were somewhat effective and used as make weights for win now trades that helped move the needle, ish, in those trades. Even ZAR and Blueger were decent enough. But, the middle 6 talent and anyone approaching bottom pairing hasn't been drafted for years. The drop off in WBS has been huge.

Edit: You trade Jake because not getting anything for him is the worst move.... except for resigning him. That's the worst move.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 18, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Up to about Oskar Sundqvist the Pens were pretty good at drafting and producing cheap and vaguely effective bottom 6ers... specifically 4th liners that were somewhat effective and used as make weights for win now trades that helped move the needle, ish, in those trades. Even ZAR and Blueger were decent enough. But, the middle 6 talent and anyone approaching bottom pairing hasn't been drafted for years. The drop off in WBS has been huge.

Edit: You trade Jake because not getting anything for him is the worst move.... except for resigning him. That's the worst move.

It depends on if Dubas deludes himself into thinking that he can take another crack this off season at making the Pens a playoff team next year.

But I think they will re-sign him for the reasons I said earlier. Which is unfortunate because like you I'm starting to think that's the worst option they could take.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Does anybody know whether draft pick protection kicks in before or after the lottery? Like, say, if a hypothetical team, call them the Aquatic Icebirds, were to finish 9th to last and their pick is top-ten protected and they really would prefer to just convey it, could they bribe the league office to slide them down to 11th in the lottery? Asking for a friend.

Jhet posted:

For forget #HakstolOut.

And the Kraken are playing worse than the Pens. No I will not take questions. Last I looked they had a 6% shooting percentage.

To be fair that by itself doesn't mean they're playing worse, just that they're shooting worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The sens are the most confusing and stark example of teams that look good on paper but bad on ice. It would be cool to see them try to turn it around.

I mean… let’s not go crazy here