Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

don't they all, basically? i mean i don't play dota or league of legends or overwatch but i imagine in those games, like fighting games, the metagame is a relatively small part of 99% of players' overall performance, and that the metagame mostly matters at the very highest level of skill, but it's oversized in everyone's imagination because 'character broken' is easier to swallow than 'opponent is more skilled'

I'd argue that, at least in the case of mobas, meta play is far more prevalent at the lower skill levels whereas at the topmost skill levels you often see players making non-meta choices because it's what's best in the situation and they have the gut instinct for that. Then the lower-skill meta play shifts to start doing whatever that top-level player did.

At sub-pro ranks in a moba a lot of players will explode with rage if you buy an item that isn't considered the meta choice, even if your instinct tells you that it's the right item to buy in the matchup you're in. To me it's more about the community side of things because I tend to be one of the 'higher-skill' players (definitely not top level, but good enough to the point where I often know better than the meta), but being surrounded by people who get mad about making intuitive choices really drags the games down, and that's all you get until the highest ranks. Part of the reason I never got into mobas heavily is because you very frequently run into players who will intentionally throw games if you buy an item that isn't what reddit posts tell them you should buy.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Orv posted:

I dunno, that feels pretty revisionist to me, honestly. You definitely had plenty of people telling you to kill yourself back in the days of 1.6 and DoD and other competitive things of that era. Even poo poo like Midtown Madness 2 or loving chess on the Microsoft gaming thing that it has been so long I don't even remember the name now had people occasionally flip the gently caress out.

I think what's changed is that there hasn't been enough push back over the years on people who are already willing to act like that being psychopaths and now they can find echo chambers of other pieces of poo poo on Discord or what have you, much easier than the Vent or Roger Wilco days. It's not the competition, per se, it's just assholes getting louder.
The difference is back then, someone telling you to kill yourself in CS was usually because you shot them with an AWP or whatever. That's just trash talk. It's not good but it's not anything unusual, and has a lot of precedent in the world of competition. It's easy to laugh at trash talk because it means you're doing something right. These days it's just as likely to be your own teammate telling you to kill yourself because they died and you failed to deploy the smoke at the exact right time or whatever. It just has a much more insidious and downright unpleasant quality to it and I just don't feel like steeling myself to that level of aggression just to play a video game.

I mean it's not like that stuff never happened in the old days but I also think that the online gaming zeitgeist was much more fragmented back then with hosted servers, private communities, etc, so if you ran into it, it was not too hard to just move to a different place and not find it. These days with Twitch and esports there's like one gigantic collective gaming consciousness and it has aspects that I both dislike and have a hard time figuring out how to get away from.

Volte fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 18, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

Volte posted:

The difference is back then, someone telling you to kill yourself in CS was usually because you shot them with an AWP or whatever. That's just trash talk. It's not good but it's not anything unusual, and has a lot of precedent in the world of competition. It's easy to laugh at trash talk because it means you're doing something right. These days it's just as likely to be your own teammate telling you to kill yourself because they died and you failed to deploy the smoke at the exact right time or whatever. It just has a much more insidious and downright unpleasant quality to it and I just don't feel like steeling myself to that level of aggression just to play a video game.

But you get how people thinking trash talk of that kind is acceptable lead to now, right? Cause it isn't and wasn't but a lot of people were just cool with it then. Like it's not a straight line and there are other factors but it's part of the problem.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Weird. I don't think I played too much Yakuza 0...

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'd argue that, at least in the case of mobas, meta play is far more prevalent at the lower skill levels whereas at the topmost skill levels you often see players making non-meta choices because it's what's best in the situation and they have the gut instinct for that. Then the lower-skill meta play shifts to start doing whatever that top-level player did.

At sub-pro ranks in a moba a lot of players will explode with rage if you buy an item that isn't considered the meta choice, even if your instinct tells you that it's the right item to buy in the matchup you're in. To me it's more about the community side of things because I tend to be one of the 'higher-skill' players (definitely not top level, but good enough to the point where I often know better than the meta), but being surrounded by people who get mad about making intuitive choices really drag the games down, and that's all you get until the highest ranks

fair enough, i don't know anything about mobas and i feel vindicated every day for my decision to never play competitive team games (only 1v1) and to never play co-op games with strangers

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sab669 posted:

The thing to do about it is parents today raising their gaming kids with actual "sportsmanship". Like that's the crux of it; a lot of the people playing these games never played team sports and never learned that you win and lose as a team. Sometimes your teammates let you down, somtimes you let them down. The distance created by playing online doesn't help, but it's just a basic lack of respect for the people in the game.

I agree with this, but you're always gonna have a few people that think they're Barry Bonds i.e. they think they ARE the team

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

5v5 becoming the industry standard competitive multiplayer format was probably the single biggest contributor to increased online toxicity. You can of course get tilted in a 1v1 game but your audience is far more limited and you must eventually come to terms with the cold hard fact that you suck. Having teammates gives the scrub brain plentiful explanations for losing and now everybody on your side gets to see your meltdown in full.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

fair enough, i don't know anything about mobas and i feel vindicated every day for my decision to never play competitive team games (only 1v1) and to never play co-op games with strangers

Yeah that's totally fair and I really don't have the same complaints about 1v1 competitive games. All of the worst competitive game experiences I've had have been at the hands of teammates, not opponents.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that seems about right

the other numbers don't seem quite accurate, the small card says 555 games played for me, while the page itself says 156, and then it says I only played 1 demo when I obviously played several dozen (if not a 3 digit number lol)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 18, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Orv posted:

But you get how people thinking trash talk of that kind is acceptable lead to now, right? Cause it isn't and wasn't but a lot of people were just cool with it then. Like it's not a straight line and there are other factors but it's part of the problem.
I never said it was acceptable but it's also not as demoralizing for me being on the receiving end of it. Honestly being told I should kill myself or something unhinged like that is honestly easier to get over as an extreme dipshit reaction than someone on my own team simply matter-of-factly telling me I'm making the game worse for everyone and that I shouldn't be playing it, which is probably the much more common occurrence. It's not even that it's trash talk, it's more like extreme gatekeeping, often filtered through a lens of unhinged toxicity, but it's not the overt toxicity that gets to me as much, even though I obviously find it unacceptable, if that makes sense?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Volte posted:

I never said it was acceptable but it's also not as demoralizing for me being on the receiving end of it. Honestly being told I should kill myself or something unhinged like that is honestly easier to get over as an extreme dipshit reaction than someone on my own team simply matter-of-factly telling me I'm making the game worse for everyone and that I shouldn't be playing it, which is probably the much more common occurrence. It's not even that it's trash talk, it's more like extreme gatekeeping, often filtered through a lens of unhinged toxicity, but it's not the toxicity that bothers me as much, even though I obviously find it unacceptable, if that makes sense?

Ah okay I get what you mean, yeah. That's fair, my bad. I can kind of get that angle, in part because as a person who just sounds like generic dude I get a lot less bullshit thrown my way than some people do and it's a lot easier to ignore.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

buglord posted:

I can’t wait to play this again. I like to give it a few version updates before hopping in. I think it’s been 2 versions, but it doesn’t quite feel *right* in terms of time yet. Steam says I played it last in Feb ‘22. How much has changed?

The next version would be a good place to jump back in, in a few months.
Biggest changes were that water is only generated in loot or in the new rain catcher making it much harder to get glue early.
Also the learn by reading, most recipes arent unlocked through perk points now, but putting points into shotguns will generate more shotgun books in loot and you need x/100 of those books to progress through the crafting chain.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Baldur's Gate 3 is not on there because I have it on GOG, otherwise it would be the most played one.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

OgNar posted:

The next version would be a good place to jump back in, in a few months.
Biggest changes were that water is only generated in loot or in the new rain catcher making it much harder to get glue early.
Also the learn by reading, most recipes arent unlocked through perk points now, but putting points into shotguns will generate more shotgun books in loot and you need x/100 of those books to progress through the crafting chain.

Weren’t there also a bunch of new POIs added or is that later on down the line?

I should start finding some podcasts/audiobooks because this game is the ultimate podcast game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Metroidvania, JRPG and puzzle platformer sound right, and I guess playing through the monthly updates on Muse Dash contributes to music. I have absolutely no idea where it's getting typing or mystery dungeon from.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Any volunteer to make my dream game? Here are the requirements:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

buglord posted:

Weren’t there also a bunch of new POIs added or is that later on down the line?

I should start finding some podcasts/audiobooks because this game is the ultimate podcast game.

There were a lot of new POIs added, and some old ones reworked.
Always something new to find.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Jerusalem posted:

Here's a weird question:

On the Steam Client, I have literally never noticed before that on the left hand side is a section that shows recently viewed titles, tags, recommended, categories, browse by genre etc. Just noticed for the first time like 30 seconds ago, and right at the top it mentions my most recently browsed game on the store is "EA SPORTS FCTM 24"

I have literally never looked at that game before in my life or was even aware it existed. Can I assume the Client just straight up lies to make you think you were looking at some new release game in the hopes you'll buy it? Or has somebody somehow managed to break 2 factor authentication, log into my account and... browse titles on the store?

I think something's just screwing up at the moment. It's doing that to me but for Lethal Company, with no mention of stuff I know I was looking at much more recently. It has worked normally before, too.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

no dinosaurs?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I don't regret a single loving moment

Also on the next places: Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Gotham Knights, Wolfenstein Youngblood and The Outer Worlds.
I have bad/mainstream taste in games.

and I should probably scale down on those 50 cent hidden object games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

But I've played only one strategy game this year. Unless they're counting BG3 as strategy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i just dont know where it's getting this number from... i definitely play a lot of games every year (175 beaten in 2023) but not over 500 lol

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

The 7th Guest posted:

i just dont know where it's getting this number from... i definitely play a lot of games every year (175 beaten in 2023) but not over 500 lol

What did ya play in GMod?

mystes
May 31, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

But I've played only one strategy game this year. Unless they're counting BG3 as strategy.
If you search your library by tag you can probably figure out what it's counting as strategy

The categories seem pretty arbitrary though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

buglord posted:

What did ya play in GMod?
i had to use it for work. i won't elaborate because it's not very exciting

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Fart of Presto posted:

Also on the next places: Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Gotham Knights, Wolfenstein Youngblood and The Outer Worlds.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

This one's the best in terms of the categories mostly not even being actual game genres

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Playtime vs Enjoyment is weird: interesting how some of the more important games I played, like Pizza Tower and Deadlink, were sweet but too short to make a significant dent, whereas some games like Lost Ark are a blight and I can't believe I let them suck up that much time only to regret it (for the second year in a row!) Meanwhile Pathologic 2 was great and I'm glad to see it pop up on this list near the top, along with others like Grimrock and Satellite Reign.

Scarlet Nexus is a funny one: I don't even own that game! The only reason it shows up is because I blazed through it since I wanted to see if I could beat it during a free weekend (which I did, for one side at least). Made me feel like a kid again, trying to beat a rented copy of Mystical Ninja Goemon for the N64 without a save cart so I had to leave it on during the weekend...

There's also a bunch of gamepass games that aren't listed: Darktide, Fuga Melodies of Steel, Signalis, Yakuza Like a Dragon, and so on would take up big slots for sure.

I didn't realize I played SF6 that much, but I am enjoying getting into fighting games as a nice change: as discussed in this thread, it's a lot more...healthy...than team-based competitive games for me, haha!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Binary Domain in TYOOL 2023?!

mystes
May 31, 2006

my playtime numbers are probably somewhat off because I've accidentally left games running overnight a bunch of times

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

GOTY every year

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think I broke my Steam Power Graph.

Literally none of my top played games are an action roguelike unless Backpack Hero counts as one.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Jack Trades posted:

Another great example of a game with low playtime but high enjoyment: it was a janky port, but man was it a goofy action movie flick of a game! Reducing robots to scrap by blowing their limbs off never got old.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i played street fighter 6 for 130 hours this year and got to master rank and it's my GOTY easily. last year i played like 200 hours of guilty gear strive and got to celestial rank and it was my GOTY easily. i just started playing granblue fantasy versus rising and between that and tekken 8 i think fighting games have got my GOTY category locked up for yet another year.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

thanks for letting me know one of my most played genres was "early access," steam. very useful

mystes
May 31, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I think I broke my Steam Power Graph.

Literally none of my top played games are an action roguelike unless Backpack Hero counts as one.
I haven't looked into it but I'm guessing it it's just looking at all the tags from all of your games and picking the tags with the most hours

Since games tend to have lots of tags that doesn't really necessarily relate to the main category you would associate with the games you played the most

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

16% Train Simulator
13% MS Flight Simulator
12% Train Sim World 4
5% Mechwarrior 5
4% Farming Simulator 22

50% of my playtime is, loosely, operating heavy machinery.

And only 41% on Steam Deck, which is a lie because like half of my playtime on PC was streaming to the Deck.

I should really stop buying games. I clearly have a niche.

FishMcCool posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1677110/Lightyear_Frontier/

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 18, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I get Robots (Armored Core VI & Mega Man contributed), 2D Fighter (SF6), even Solitaire (Solitaire Expeditions) and Narrative (adventure games and some VNs), but Card Battler and Superhero are some wild weights, given I had all of 1% of my January playtime in Midnight Suns. Unless there's some really buried errant tags in, like, Card Survival: Tropical Island and Baldur's Gate 3.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 18, 2023