Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

He no longer slumbers in Rlyeh; he awoke in 2016, and the eldritch horrors have been spreading ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm late to the party, but Top Gun 2: Tomcat Boogaloo did use Tomahawks to smash the airfield. Why they didn't just use a handful for that and target the other air defenses as well...I'll just chalk it up to Navy planning.

Also re: modern aerial combat, the last US kill was a WVR engagement that opened with an IR missile (which missed). Dogfighting isn't dead, it's narcoleptic along with aerial combat in general.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Soul Dentist posted:

That's why Tycho Brahe thought the sun revolved around the earth

His astronomical model is absolutely insane. Not only did the sun revolve around the earth, other planets revolved around the sun to account for the changes in planetary distances. This involved a crazy amount of handwaving, just so Earth can remain the centre of the universe.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think in time he will be proved right

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

I'm late to the party, but Top Gun 2: Tomcat Boogaloo did use Tomahawks to smash the airfield. Why they didn't just use a handful for that and target the other air defenses as well...I'll just chalk it up to Navy planning.

Also re: modern aerial combat, the last US kill was a WVR engagement that opened with an IR missile (which missed). Dogfighting isn't dead, it's narcoleptic along with aerial combat in general.

The last US manned air to air kill. All kinds of aerial kills since that one, both air to air and surface to air of manned vs unmanned.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fragrag posted:

His astronomical model is absolutely insane. Not only did the sun revolve around the earth, other planets revolved around the sun to account for the changes in planetary distances. This involved a crazy amount of handwaving, just so Earth can remain the centre of the universe.

Retrograde action. When the math works out but makes no loving sense whatsoever.

Sure, every year the planets just go backwards, why not?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

That's just because everyone back then was in the pocket of Big Orrery, gotta sell the latest set of gears somehow.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

The last US manned air to air kill. All kinds of aerial kills since that one, both air to air and surface to air of manned vs unmanned.

Like the F-22 vs balloons.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Godholio posted:

I also liked that the film correctly points out the most advanced fighter in the world don't mean poo poo if someone takes you by surprise

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I also liked that the film correctly points out the most advanced fighter in the world don't mean poo poo if someone takes you by surprise

All you gotta do is some of that pilot poo poo.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Godholio posted:

The thing they were aiming for was just the cover on the death star's thermal exhaust port and the bombs had to bounce down the 45 degree angle airshaft until they blew up inside the actual nuke factory if memory serves. Just collapsing the 2 meter wide air duct wouldnt be good enough or something? from my memory. It was a lot of controvance but planes went FWOOooshhhhhhh zoom zoompewpewpew kabloom so whatever

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Stravag posted:

The thing they were aiming for was just the cover on the death star's thermal exhaust port and the bombs had to bounce down the 45 degree angle airshaft until they blew up inside the actual nuke factory if memory serves. Just collapsing the 2 meter wide air duct wouldnt be good enough or something? from my memory. It was a lot of controvance but planes went FWOOooshhhhhhh zoom zoompewpewpew kabloom so whatever

Yup.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

"Aerial combat" specifically means air to air (unlike aerial warfare, which is much broader). It's how the F-15 gets credit for never having an aerial defeat despite losses to SAMs. I was ignoring drones (e: and balloons) because we were talking about dogfighting, but those are usually also engaged up close.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 17, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

it was wild to realize how far away aerial battle is visible, I watched that ballon get popped from over 50 miles away

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1736432568080445583

A video about Ukrainian artillerymen, they talk a bit about the M109 but also about the work of the artillery in general.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

PurpleXVI posted:

A video about Ukrainian artillerymen, they talk a bit about the M109 but also about the work of the artillery in general.

Good link, thanks.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

Austria does have Europe's best food, that I will give them. The only European country where I've never had a bad meal and never left a table hungry.

…never left a table hungary was right there.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

GEEKABALL posted:

…never left a table hungary was right there.

I was in a Russia to get some Turkey because I was Hungary, but it had too much Greece.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

The only European country where I've never left a table hungry.
I can't tell if this is a "I've got the palate of a child and won't eat strange foreign foods" or a "these portions cannot have more than 2000 kcal in them, how am I supposed to survive until dinner?"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wienerschnitzel mit pommes: the apotheosis of continental cuisine.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Herman Merman posted:

I can't tell if this is a "I've got the palate of a child and won't eat strange foreign foods" or a "these portions cannot have more than 2000 kcal in them, how am I supposed to survive until dinner?"

Hey, I like strange foreign foods, I cook a good number of them myself, but I also like a big pile of carbs with a meat and some garlic that I can eat while looking at a mountain and listening to polka.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

PurpleXVI posted:

Hey, I like strange foreign foods, I cook a good number of them myself, but I also like a big pile of carbs with a meat and some garlic that I can eat while looking at a mountain and listening to polka.

I want a burrito and some micheladas so bad right now

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just like some vegetables with a poo poo ton of hot peppers and citrus to counteract this claim, please.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Austria as a country is very pro-Russia and the government is heavily infiltrated by Russian agents. So yeah I would treat reports coming out of there with heavy scepticism.

https://www.ft.com/content/bd74a542-3ce3-44de-a93a-36dc5929912b

quote:

Austria is a “veritable aircraft carrier” of covert Russian activity, said another. Its BVT intelligence agency is regarded as being so compromised that for a time it was cut out of much European intelligence sharing activity, according to one Vienna-based European diplomat. The country’s defence ministry is “practically a department of the GRU”, the diplomat added.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
"Aircraft carrier of Russian activity" is a very odd choice of analogy. That implies that it's on fire and sinking.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"Aircraft carrier of Russian activity" is a very odd choice of analogy. That implies that it's on fire and sinking.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
No that would be a "Russian carrier of aircraft activity"

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Antigravitas posted:

Hungary simply needs its voting rights suspended. However, Poland has blocked such efforts for long enough that Hungary could now find a new veto buddy.

This is from a couple of pages back so I apologise but, Good News! https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sea-change-poland-donald-tusk-sworn-pm-2023-12-13/?ref=upstract.com

Reuters posted:

In sea change for Poland, new government is sworn in

WARSAW, Dec 13 (Reuters) - New Prime Minister Donald Tusk's government was sworn in by Poland's president on Wednesday, the final step in a transfer of power that marks a huge change after eight years of nationalist rule.

Following years of disputes between Warsaw and Brussels under the previous government, led by the Law and Justice (PiS) party, Tusk's appointment has raised hopes of smoother relations with the rest of the European Union.

In a speech to parliament on Tuesday, centrist Tusk, who as European Council president from 2014 to 2019 chaired summits of EU leaders, vowed to secure billions of euros for Poland that have been frozen by the EU over concerns about the rule of law.

His task could be complicated by judges appointed under PiS reforms that critics said undermined the independence of the courts and by the power to veto laws held by President Andrzej Duda, a PiS ally.

Duda has previously spoken in highly critical terms about Tusk, but on Wednesday he struck a conciliatory tone following the swearing-in ceremony.

"Please be aware that I am open to cooperation," he said. "We come from different political camps, but I have found out that on important issues, such as security, we can come to an understanding."

Tusk, 66, said his government would focus on restoring the rule of law and respect for the constitution, and his government holds Duda partly responsible for reforms that it says undermined judicial independence.

"Faithfulness to the provisions of the constitution will be the trademark of our government," Tusk said, adding that he thought voters' desire to see the rule of law re-established was behind record turnout in an Oct. 15 election.

Goodbye, lovely nationalist right government. Hello boring centre right pro-EU government.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah the Hard Right government got its rear end kicked, so they are back in the EU conga line.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/12/theyre-also-learning-russia-ukraine-race-to-out-innovate-each-other/

quote:

“The electromagnetic environment in the eastern Donbas is the most complex in the world,” said Air Commodore Blythe Crawford, commandant of the Royal Air Force’s Air & Space Warfare Centre (ASWC). “If you’re turning out version 1.1, you’ve got eight weeks before you churn out version 1.2.”

A Ukrainian reserve officer and tech entrepreneur, Capt. Iaroslav Kalinin, made the same point more bluntly as he whipped through a presentation of different drone types the two sides had fielded one after another. “Whatever I show you becomes obsolete in the next two months,” Kalinin told the AOC conference.

Both sides have turned the agile, speedy FPV drones into ad hoc smart bombs and, Kalinin said, the Ukrainians are now even using them as interceptors to bring down larger Russian drones. Meanwhile, operators are constantly adjusting control frequencies to bypass jamming, changing how they hide from retaliatory strikes — which prioritize drone operators — and extending range by such tricks as relaying the control signal through a secondary drone.

“The side that prevails will be the side that innovates the quickest,” said Crawford.

Fragrag posted:

The spheres within spheres within spheres model gave more accurate predictions of planetary motion than the heliocentric model until Kepler finally realized orbits could be elliptical instead of perfect circles. But even Kepler wasn't free from mysticism or theology in astronomy. From wikipedia

quote:

Kepler thought the Mysterium had revealed God's geometrical plan for the universe. Much of Kepler's enthusiasm for the Copernican system stemmed from his theological convictions about the connection between the physical and the spiritual; the universe itself was an image of God, with the Sun corresponding to the Father, the stellar sphere to the Son, and the intervening space between them to the Holy Spirit. His first manuscript of Mysterium contained an extensive chapter reconciling heliocentrism with biblical passages that seemed to support geocentrism
Kepler was convinced "that the geometrical things have provided the Creator with the model for decorating the whole world". In Harmonice Mundi (1619), he attempted to explain the proportions of the natural world—particularly the astronomical and astrological aspects—in terms of music. The central set of "harmonies" was the musica universalis or "music of the spheres", which had been studied by Pythagoras, Ptolemy and others before Kepler; in fact, soon after publishing Harmonice Mundi, Kepler was embroiled in a priority dispute with Robert Fludd, who had recently published his own harmonic theory.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 18, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

golden bubble posted:

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/12/theyre-also-learning-russia-ukraine-race-to-out-innovate-each-other/

The spheres within spheres within spheres model gave more accurate predictions of planetary motion than the heliocentric model until Kepler finally realized orbits could be elliptical instead of perfect circles. But even Kepler wasn't free from mysticism or theology in astronomy. From wikipedia

I really want to contribute to this derail but here ain't the place, meet me in the space nerd thread

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

knox_harrington posted:

Austria as a country is very pro-Russia and the government is heavily infiltrated by Russian agents. So yeah I would treat reports coming out of there with heavy scepticism.

https://www.ft.com/content/bd74a542-3ce3-44de-a93a-36dc5929912b

There are elements of the Austrian government (FPÖ & ÖVP parties) that have had strong relations with Putin/Russia partly due to old fashioned corruption and in part historical reasons. As a country however, Austria is not pro Russian. There has been more vocal push back against Russian oligarchs who spend a lot of time here and the general corruption caused by Russian influences. But similar to most countries, getting rid of the rot is not an easy task.

Oberst Reisner, whom initially sparked Austria chat, is by all accounts pro Ukrainian/NATO and represents a strong faction of the Austrian military that wants to move in that direction. There are of course the generals who most would rather spend their time hunting goats in military areas rather than think about the war in Ukraine and probably care little for what Reisner has to say. Unfortunately I cannot find any videos from him that are well translated, and the captions are not worth reading when translated. But he is a good source of info if you know german.

All that being said, Austrian support (they have sent both government and private humanitarian aid) or lack of it, is not going to make a discernible difference on the war. Also, because of those historical and unfortunately current ties, Austria, by sticking to its neutrality, is one of the few countries that has open channels to Putin and hopefully is sharing that info with its European partners.

And only children and tourists eat pommes with their schnitzel.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dick Ripple posted:

And only children and tourists eat pommes with their schnitzel.

:thejoke:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

I really want to contribute to this derail but here ain't the place, meet me in the space nerd thread

Nah, this is the thread to talk about spheres of influence.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

golden bubble posted:

The spheres within spheres within spheres model gave more accurate predictions of planetary motion than the heliocentric model until Kepler finally realized orbits could be elliptical instead of perfect circles. But even Kepler wasn't free from mysticism or theology in astronomy.

I miss the good old days of the natural philosopher.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://www.semafor.com/article/12/18/2023/russias-economy-is-overheating

Russia is doing some Volcker shock-level interest rate rises to battle inflation.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

GD_American posted:

https://www.semafor.com/article/12/18/2023/russias-economy-is-overheating

Russia is doing some Volcker shock-level interest rate rises to battle inflation.

quote:

The 100-basis-point hike to 16% was the fifth rate rise since summer as the central bank grapples with accelerating inflation, which rose to 7.5% year-on-year in November.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*Joe "I did that" sticker*

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Hold on. That's a much more extreme measure than anyone else has taken even with higher inflation. Is there a qualitative difference in their inflation, or is the Russian central bank reacting to a state of the economy that isn't reflected in official numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Hold on. That's a much more extreme measure than anyone else has taken even with higher inflation. Is there a qualitative difference in their inflation, or is the Russian central bank reacting to a state of the economy that isn't reflected in official numbers?

TLDR: The rate of inflation is increasing rapidly, so they're moving quickly to squash it before it gets completely out of hand. It's going to be tough to do because Putin's government is driving up demand through the transition to a wartime economy, while manpower shortages caused by mobilization and supply constraints imposed by western sanctions haven't been overcome through grey-market imports.

From The Economist:

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2023/12/10/vladimir-putin-is-running-russias-economy-dangerously-hot

quote:

The history of Russian inflation is long and painful. After revolution in 1917 the country dealt with years of soaring prices; it then faced sustained price pressure under Josef Stalin’s early rule. The end of the Soviet Union, the global financial crisis of 2007-09 and then Vladimir Putin’s first invasion of Ukraine in 2014 also brought trouble. Fast-forward to the present, as the war in Ukraine nears its second anniversary, and Russian prices are again accelerating—even as inflation eases elsewhere.

Russia’s inflation was 7.5%, year on year in November, up from 6.7% the month before. The central bank dealt with a spike soon after the invasion of Ukraine in 2022. But now officials worry they are losing control. At the bank’s latest meeting they raised interest rates by two percentage points, twice what had been expected. At its next one on December 15th a similar rise is on the cards. Most observers nonetheless expect inflation to continue rising.

Price rises in 2022 were caused by a weaker rouble. After Mr Putin began his war the currency fell by 25% against the dollar, raising import costs. This time currency moves are playing a small role. In recent months the rouble has actually appreciated, in part because officials introduced capital controls. Inflation in non-food consumer goods, many of which are imported, is in line with the pre-war average.

Look closer at Mr Putin’s wartime economy, however, and it becomes clear that it is overheating. Inflation in the services sector is exceptionally high. The cost of a night at Moscow’s Ritz-Carlton, now called the Carlton after its Western backers pulled out, has risen from around $225 before the invasion to $500. Such examples suggest that the cause of inflation is home-grown.

In 2024 defence spending will almost double, to 6% of gdp—its highest since the collapse of the Soviet Union. Mindful of a forthcoming election, the government is also boosting welfare payments. Some families of soldiers killed in action are receiving payouts equivalent to three decades of average pay. Figures from Russia’s finance ministry suggest that fiscal stimulus this year is worth about 5% of gdp, a bigger boost than that implemented during the covid-19 pandemic.

As a result, the growth rate is rising. Real-time data from Goldman Sachs, a bank, point to solid performance. JPMorgan Chase, another bank, has lifted its gdp forecast for 2023, from a 1% fall expected at the start of the year, to an increase of 1.8% in June and more recently to 3.3%. Predictions of an economic collapse—made almost uniformly by Western economists and politicians at the start of the war in Ukraine—have proved thumpingly wrong.

The problem is that the Russian economy cannot take such growth. Since the start of 2022 its supply side has shrunk. Workers, often highly educated, have fled the country. Foreign investors have withdrawn around $250bn-worth of direct investment, nearly half the pre-war stock.

Red-hot demand is running up against this reduced supply, resulting in higher prices for raw materials, capital and labour. Unemployment, at less than 3%, is at its lowest on record, which is emboldening workers to ask for much higher wages. Nominal pay is growing by about 15% year on year. Companies are then passing on these higher costs to customers.

Higher interest rates might eventually take a bite out of such demand, stopping inflation from rising more. An oil-price recovery and extra capital controls could boost the rouble, cutting the cost of imports. Yet all this is working against an immovable force: Mr Putin’s desire for victory in Ukraine. With plenty of financial firepower, he has the potential to spend even bigger in future, portending faster inflation still. As on so many previous occasions, in Russia there are more important things than economic stability.