Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/la-county-landlords-can-apply-for-financial-relief-from-covid-losses/ posted:

LA County landlords can apply for financial relief from COVID losses
:thermidor:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 12:28 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

direct exposure from childcare. person tested positive this AM after becoming symptomatic last night. we last saw them early friday evening.

lol i'm in danger and dreaming of a covid christmas. i also love having an unvaccinatable four-month-old.

i hate this world.

household is negative so far on metrix/lucira tests, but i'd need another couple of days to feel comfortable.

e: is it true that someone who is recently vaccinated is likely to start feeling "sick" earlier than someone who isn't, or is that just half-remembered nonsense?

Insanite has issued a correction as of 13:47 on Dec 18, 2023

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Insanite posted:

direct exposure from childcare. person tested positive this AM after becoming symptomatic last night. we last saw them early friday evening.

lol i'm in danger and dreaming of a covid christmas. i also love having an unvaccinatable four-month-old.

i hate this world.

household is negative so far on metrix/lucira tests, but i'd need another couple of days to feel comfortable.

e: is it true that someone who is recently vaccinated is likely to start feeling "sick" earlier than someone who isn't, or is that just half-remembered nonsense?

can't comment on the last part, but the timeline here is in your favor. there's a solid chance they didn't get infected until Friday, and almost no one is meaningfully contagious the first day (and often more, exponential growth with a very slow start and all that)

anxiety inducing I know but hang in there

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Insanite posted:

Nah there's been speculation that symptoms spooling up quicker means your immune system is better "primed" to respond but I dont think it's particularly valid and it'd be crazy hard to evaluate ethically.

Everyone's getting exposed all the time, it'd be really difficult to establish a valid "start date" Imho

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

PoundSand posted:

Tbh I kind of disagree with this, not that I don't wish it were true but I feel like americans have always been weird about refusing to acknowledge sickness or that it spreads. I think a big part of that is our lovely work culture with respect to sick time/pto in general but even in places with good rules/benefits about this sort of thing it's like a weird badge of honor to show up to the office sick and hack at your desk/in meetings for the rest of the day.
it's beaten into us as children. you would get awards in elementary school for "perfect attendance."

it's built into education. there are no de facto sick or vacation days in school. your absence is simply a mistake. not every parent sees it that way, thankfully, but the school certainly does.

even personally, winter of 2014 i had the flu, quite badly, and I kept working. i went through two airports, got on a semi truck, and then worked late into the night doing physical labor. i was VERY sick, but, the work had to get done!!

today, I would never. covid, and my own ongoing education about work and labor makes sure of that.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Nah there's been speculation that symptoms spooling up quicker means your immune system is better "primed" to respond but I dont think it's particularly valid and it'd be crazy hard to evaluate ethically.

Everyone's getting exposed all the time, it'd be really difficult to establish a valid "start date" Imho

Yeah the list of people who are careful enough to actually pinpoint exposure is like, the subset of this thread without kids. Everyone else is exposed multiple times a day, every single day. We're never going to have meaningful information on incubation times or asymptomatic spread, etc... ever again for any new variants.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Soap Scum posted:

can't comment on the last part, but the timeline here is in your favor. there's a solid chance they didn't get infected until Friday, and almost no one is meaningfully contagious the first day (and often more, exponential growth with a very slow start and all that)

anxiety inducing I know but hang in there

tyvm

absolutely hate that there's no paxlovid jr. (cherry flavored)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Knowing kids, paxlovid doesn't have to add any flavors to get them to take it at all. Those little kids just loooove to jam their mouth full of pennies

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Bob Wachter interviewed eminent long covid researchers Ziyad Al-Aly, Michael Peluso, and Akiko Iwasaki and asked them about masks:

https://x.com/vixenvalentino/status/1736750743233691656?s=20

Leana Wen back at it:

https://x.com/LauraMiers/status/1736572634312122473?s=20

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I mean Leana's... correct in a way. you're absolutely right! we shouldn't expect people to give a gently caress why they're sick, just treat and isolate them, and maybe I dunno stop them from getting others sick??

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

look at that sentence . holy hell lol

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Dren posted:

Bob Wachter interviewed eminent long covid researchers Ziyad Al-Aly, Michael Peluso, and Akiko Iwasaki and asked them about masks:

Leana Wen back at it:

https://x.com/LauraMiers/status/1736572634312122473?s=20
lol the facial expressions on the researchers at the end when Wachter says "It's fascinating because I'm told at the Infectious Disease meetings very few people are masking"

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/TheVertlartnic/status/1736726543500480812

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

only reply:

indeed

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
what's the bone chilling angle here gonna be
https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1736739653829431338

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
this has been in the works for a couple years. Theres no nefarious angle that I’ve seen.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

just picked up some pax for my dad probably gonna need some for myself. hopefully not.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1736798338593259911

"This is not a cold. This is not a little thing - it's not actually the Flu, either..."

"All sorts of flu-like symptoms but, again, not actually the flu"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

New Found Power posted:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1736798338593259911

"This is not a cold. This is not a little thing - it's not actually the Flu, either..."

"All sorts of flu-like symptoms but, again, not actually the flu"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

lmfao unreal

the avoidance strategies are something to behold

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Dren posted:

If Iwasaki stopped masking I'd probably lose my motivation.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Ok need a lil help here.

I got Moderna back in September and was wanting to get Novavax'd this week since it's about 3 months out (which is what I remember is the timeframe for good efficacy of mRNA shots).

Got a call back from CVS where the pharmacist cancelled the appointment because:

-covid shots are now a "yearly" shot and my mRNA back in Sept counted for it
-my insurance wouldn't cover it because of that

Is there anything I can specifically cite to say they're full of poo poo and gimme my goddamn shot?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Idk if your insurance sucks in some special new way, but the CDC recommends everyone get it >2 months from their last shot https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2023/p0912-COVID-19-Vaccine.html

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
wish I had that “just lie” comic to post, but idk if that even works any more

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

Ok need a lil help here.

I got Moderna back in September and was wanting to get Novavax'd this week since it's about 3 months out (which is what I remember is the timeframe for good efficacy of mRNA shots).

Got a call back from CVS where the pharmacist cancelled the appointment because:

Is there anything I can specifically cite to say they're full of poo poo and gimme my goddamn shot?

your best bet is probably to just try another pharmacy and hope they don't care

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pyrolocutus posted:

yes, go to a different pharmacy and tell them your name is John Titer and that you don't have insurance

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Remember it's spelled commotio cordis, not the common covid.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pyrolocutus posted:

Ok need a lil help here.

do you have access to nuclear weapons

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

OK I am further downgrading my opinion of SmarterHEPA and their blast/blast mini air purifier. In addition to not sealing properly, they have what should be a pretty obvious design flaw. The blower motor is placed upstream of the main filter! So the thing gets absolutely caked in fine dust after a while, it's not easy at all to clean it since it's a wheel fan even once you've disassembled the whole thing, and having a bunch of poo poo on the fan blades is going to degrade the performance.

Would definitely not recommend purchasing these products in hindsight. I'll be replacing mine as soon as the filter is up for replacement.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

The Oldest Man posted:

OK I am further downgrading my opinion of SmarterHEPA and their blast/blast mini air purifier. In addition to not sealing properly, they have what should be a pretty obvious design flaw. The blower motor is placed upstream of the main filter! So the thing gets absolutely caked in fine dust after a while, it's not easy at all to clean it since it's a wheel fan even once you've disassembled the whole thing, and having a bunch of poo poo on the fan blades is going to degrade the performance.

Would definitely not recommend purchasing these products in hindsight. I'll be replacing mine as soon as the filter is up for replacement.

I use the QT3 at work and it seals fine maybe. now I need to loving check.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sonatinas posted:

I don't have any experience with their smaller models but the big stamped sheet metal ones are relative trash for the price point and I really regret buying mine instead of a couple airmegas or something instead.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
One of my new favorite things is seeing recent covid vax being clearly delineated in patient charts for poo poo that has fuckall nothing to do why the patient is in the hospital. The loving vaxxed?? Meme made manifest in the minds of loving stupid doctors.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

One of my new favorite things is seeing recent covid vax being clearly delineated in patient charts for poo poo that has fuckall nothing to do why the patient is in the hospital. The loving vaxxed?? Meme made manifest in the minds of loving stupid doctors.

Look every health issue is the patient's fault so if they die of covid it's because they didn't get vaccinated recently enough and if they die of a post-covid heart attack it's because they got vaccinated too recently

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

my spouse showed symptoms first and was the only one of us to have had the most recent booster but we also think she may well have been patient zero in the household.

Five weeks on, they are still dealing with excess tiredness which turns into dizziness if its not respected, and often sleeping 9+ hrs a night (7-8 has been "normal" for years).

They were unable to take pax; I was able to take it; no idea what difference that made but 10/10 would pax again. All I can do is hope my spouse continues to improve and that we get back to "normal" before we inevitably get tagged again.

We had a small birthday party for our older kid yesterday; everyone in attendence was zero symptoms of any kind, but we had someone bail because of household COVID* and someone else bail simply because they did not want to risk COVID this close to christmas and travel to see elderly relatives, which makes complete sense to me.

We'll see how we all feel in a week; I have had little problem saying gently caress it to all sorts of things, and we did take steps in terms of having a large well ventilated space, etc, but everything is a dice roll now and giving my kid a "normal" party that they really enjoyed is important to me in a way that eating out or going to see movies in theaters just is not important to me.

My kid does know one singular kid at school who masks.... because they are a six year old with neurological damage from COVID. They're the only kid in the whole school who masks now. A few of the providers have continued to mask but one of the ones I have seen masking the most consistently is out "sick" at this time, air quotes used because it's protracted and they got sick right as our local COVID count was exploding.

Cool world.

* that crept in via the preschool and then tagged kiddo's friend who is the grand daughter of the woman who runs the preschool. That lady has generally been very careful and is in her 70s, I hope she's doing okay, she managed to dodge this poo poo for years while running an active preschool. There has not been massive transmission at the gradeschools which we're aware of but if it's not already baked in, it will be on the return from the holidays :allears:

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Dec 18, 2023

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

sonatinas posted:

Uhhh not unless you got the addons to make it seal.

https://smartairfilters.com/uk/en/2022/10/05/qt3-mind-the-gap/

Dren has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Dec 18, 2023

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

shazbot posted:

wish I had that “just lie” comic to post, but idk if that even works any more

I hope Rubby is doing well.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Back at work on day 9. Home tests are both negative, where a proper PCR was positive Friday. I'm not sure if it was antigen or PCR because at this point they've told me both. Taste and smell is about 80% restored.

Gonna vengeance all week since I can taste again :getin: A1C be damned.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Dren posted:

Uhhh not unless you got the addons to make it seal.

https://smartairfilters.com/uk/en/2022/10/05/qt3-mind-the-gap/

mine came with those! I wondered why they weren’t built in…

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Pyrolocutus posted:

Ok need a lil help here.

FDA was saying at the beginning of this year that covid shots would be a yearly thing, but I don't think that was ever formalized. lot of places are still sticking to 6 months minimum, even though the CDC says 2 months and efficacy wanes rapidly.

you're probably going to have to shop around/lie

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I can imagine the yearly vaccine being an insurance thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
they say it's to simplify vaccination schedules, having one big push before winter. but yeah, it's insurance

the fda talks abut it here (section 5)
https://www.fda.gov/media/164699/download

this site I never heard of says the FDA voted for annual shots. it's been difficult finding other sources though
https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/providers/fda-panels-approves-treating-covid-19-yearly-shot

RealityWarCriminal has issued a correction as of 22:24 on Dec 18, 2023