Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
Yeah just because it has a PDF extension doesn't mean it isn't really an EXE file that will rat your computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Fezziwig posted:

When I worked at a grocery store that performed Western Union money transfers, we were allowed to deny transactions that seemed suspicious.

It should really be universal that employees have training to spot scams + authority to refuse a suspicious transaction.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Yeah paranoia is justified.

Maybe Google has your back.

Maybe it's a zero day and you're about to get hosed.

yeah, if its spam they've found a way past the spam filters that will quickly get closed. They probably wouldn't burn a spam filter workaround unless they have confidence their payload will get past the virus checks.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It's quite possible that the spam filter "trick" is sending the refund scam contact instructions in a pdf invoice at a time of year when legitimate invoices are showing up in emails at orders of magnitude higher rates than usual.

I checked my spam folder in gmail and since Dec 1st it is seriously ~90% "package pending for delivery" scam emails. All the hörrny womeen who typically email must have found the lǔv they were looking for, truly a holiday miracle!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pekinduck posted:

It should really be universal that employees have training to spot scams + authority to refuse a suspicious transaction.

Wasn’t there a thing a while back where a lot of national drugstore/grocery store chains had instructions for their cashiers to ask questions when old people would show up to buy stacks of gift cards while on the phone?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Convenience stores in Japan actively do training for gift card and atm scams.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

withak posted:

Wasn’t there a thing a while back where a lot of national drugstore/grocery store chains had instructions for their cashiers to ask questions when old people would show up to buy stacks of gift cards while on the phone?

Still do and there are still big signs at the gift card racks about scams. But it's okay, the guy you're talking to is legit.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess the latest scam fad is fake surveys.

I’ve been getting three “Fill out a survey from *Canadian Brand* for a chance to win a $500 giftcard!” Emails a day for a couple weeks.

Always $500. My ip address must identify me as Canadian.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Professor Shark posted:

I guess the latest scam fad is fake surveys.

I’ve been getting three “Fill out a survey from *Canadian Brand* for a chance to win a $500 giftcard!” Emails a day for a couple weeks.

Always $500. My ip address must identify me as Canadian.

Your email address is also on a database of people who could really use $500

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I've had my email address since open beta gmail and never really gotten much spam. Some chucklefuck a few weeks ago put my email address down for a shady dating site and based on the username they put in fat fingered their email (think xxxxx59 vs xxxxx69) and holy poo poo has the floodgates opened on horny people wanting to hook up.

Shout out to Natalie who has burned through hundreds of email accounts to try get me to look at her bikini pics.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Inceltown posted:

I've had my email address since open beta gmail and never really gotten much spam. Some chucklefuck a few weeks ago put my email address down for a shady dating site and based on the username they put in fat fingered their email (think xxxxx59 vs xxxxx69) and holy poo poo has the floodgates opened on horny people wanting to hook up.

Shout out to Natalie who has burned through hundreds of email accounts to try get me to look at her bikini pics.

... Well? Did you?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Inceltown posted:

This has been my Gmail from the word go, dumbasses with the same real name as me who think they own firstname.lastname@ when they don’t. It’s unusable. Luckily those dummies don’t have Apple stuff, so my @me.com has always been fine.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Volmarias posted:

... Well? Did you?

Playing hard to get, she's got to want it more.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
mods change their name to volceltown

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

EL BROMANCE posted:

This has been my Gmail from the word go, dumbasses with the same real name as me who think they own firstname.lastname@ when they don’t. It’s unusable. Luckily those dummies don’t have Apple stuff, so my @me.com has always been fine.

My first name is both uncommon and spelled in the less common of two ways it could be and my surname is pretty rare. There's still some guy in Brooklyn who sometimes forgets he doesn't have the Gmail for his name and gets stuff sent to me, most recently all the receipts and confirmation email for everything to do with his wedding.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a guy sharing my name who apparently has first.initial.last@gmail and first.last@work and keeps getting them mixed up.

It's like being an unwilling stalker. I've learned where he lives, that he has at least one kid in elementary school, owns a boat and drives a Volvo on lease from his work. Also which soccer team he cheers for and that at least one person at his workplace is vegetarian.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm the dumbass who made a very common jokey pun with my first name as my gmail address, because it was 2002 and having dumb edgelord email addresses was still the thing to do. It's been a nightmare forever. People use it to make restaurant reservations, to fill in online surveys, to join curch websites and newsletters, to register for dating sites, to make flight reservations, everything. The spam folder is always full but the inbox is worse because they're all "legitimate" emails. Then some easyjet employee put it in the system as some kind of test account so I started having flights appear in my calendar that didn't match anything and couldn't be found on the easyjet website.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Shifty Pony posted:

I checked my spam folder in gmail and since Dec 1st it is seriously ~90% "package pending for delivery" scam emails. All the hörrny womeen who typically email must have found the lǔv they were looking for, truly a holiday miracle!

My gmail spam has been full of package deliveries for months, but my work email spam is still awash with horny Ukrainian women in my area. And also LOTS of businesses that want to either redo the business website or boost our Google ranking.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have first85@gmail and I have met some interesting people this way. I have received multiple interviews and job offers for a lady in England and I received a couple receipts for her lingerie orders. Eventually that one stopped, now I'm getting some other rednecks notices about oil changes on their bro dozer and I'm regularly receiving bank statements and travel receipts for some dude in India.

Ironically, I just checked my spam folder and it was a few flyers from legitimate places I visited in the past (ie me being naive enough to give them my email address) but it looks like a new player is entering the games via American Tourister luggage. Someone named "Mhmd Mhmd" (Mohammed Mohammed maybe?) registered a new account, and then edited their account 3 times. I suppose the polite thing to do would be to use my email address to reset their password and delete their account, or just wait and see how this plays out.

I used to receive a lot of spam from addresses ending in [numbers].xt.local Everytime I would block one I would just get emails from an address with a different number. I searched Google trying to find ways to block it, and I found people saying that they were receiving legitimate mailing list emails from #.xt.local so I'm not sure what was going on. I think the xt.local might have been some sort of internal Gmail service for sending mailing lists, or even a legit service that got compromised, or just faked headers which would automatically pass through Gmail's spam filters. I have not received an xt.local spam in a long time, but for a while it was pretty bad.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My email is a.lastname@gmail.com. I try my best to contact the sender and implore them to contact the intended recipient a different way, and to add an email verification step to their sign up processing.

One guy I managed to make contact with, his colleagues kept forgetting the numbers in his email address. We chatted a bit and it turns out we're distant relatives - literally descended twin brothers who went separate ways in the 1850s wild west. Life can be cool if you're nice, sometimes.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

my gmail is also my name but while my given and family names aren't super uncommon, ive never heard of anyone with the same name combo

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Fil5000 posted:

My first name is both uncommon and spelled in the less common of two ways it could be and my surname is pretty rare. There's still some guy in Brooklyn who sometimes forgets he doesn't have the Gmail for his name and gets stuff sent to me, most recently all the receipts and confirmation email for everything to do with his wedding.

Go to the wedding. If the bride is hot, claim you're the real groom, with the emails as proof.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

I used to work for a company where me and another person had the same first and last name, so I would sometimes get their emails. It was pretty fun though because I worked at a retail location and they worked corporate, so I would get stuff like, hey we’re pairing with <insert celebrity/musical artist>, here are the details. Definitely stuff I should not have been receiving but was fun to see.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zopotantor posted:

Go to the wedding. If the bride is hot, claim you're the real groom, with the emails as proof.

I dunno man, Massachusets is a long way from the middle of England and the receipt for the catering didn't look like my kind of thing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pipistrelle posted:

I used to work for a company where me and another person had the same first and last name, so I would sometimes get their emails. It was pretty fun though because I worked at a retail location and they worked corporate, so I would get stuff like, hey we’re pairing with <insert celebrity/musical artist>, here are the details. Definitely stuff I should not have been receiving but was fun to see.

There's someone with my first name and a similar enough last name that autocomplete sometimes sends me their email. Let me tell you it's one hell of a thing to see "URGENT:Must be dealt with ASAP" pop up in your inbox mid call and finding out its not even for you.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Josef bugman posted:

There's someone with my first name and a similar enough last name that autocomplete sometimes sends me their email. Let me tell you it's one hell of a thing to see "URGENT:Must be dealt with ASAP" pop up in your inbox mid call and finding out its not even for you.

When I was in the Air Force I knew a guy who had the same first and last name as the then-current Chief of Staff of the Air Force (aka, 4-star general head of the AF). He had a dedicated handler on the guy's staff since he would get emails for him all the time. Nothing juicy that I know of but I can't imagine it was a fun time (the guy was a captain).

My gmail that I've had since its inception is <firstletter><relatively uncommon last name>@gmail and I pretty frequently get email for someone in Texas with a different first name that starts with the same letter. I've never seen anything urgent enough to warrant trying to contact them, though.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I dunno man, Massachusets is a long way from the middle of England and the receipt for the catering didn't look like my kind of thing.
Send them a nice wedding gift signed "get your own email address".

On a serious note,in an attempt to deal with this I created a new Gmail and directed all my bills and important emails there. I have had firstname85 since Gmail was invite only in beta, so it's been to a couple shady places on the dark web. The main thing preventing me from abandoning it is simply that I have a couple movies I purchased on YouTube which I can't transfer to my new account, and if I do cut my losses and ditch this account, what will happen to it's corpse? The last thing I want is to like turn off 2fa and let a Nigerian prince take over and start spamming me with my old email address.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Never relinquish control over an email address that's been associated with you. Stop using it and only check it once a year or something, but keep it for exactly the reason you described.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
During gmail beta I got a name that is a joke about Google getting all your data and emails and a few times people have signed me up for various rewards programs. But once someone used it to book a hotel and flight to Tulum. I cancelled the hotel but not the flight.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

During gmail beta I got a name that is a joke about Google getting all your data and emails and a few times people have signed me up for various rewards programs. But once someone used it to book a hotel and flight to Tulum. I cancelled the hotel but not the flight.

:nice:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sometimes I have taken the name and address from the invoices and sent them a postcard informing them that their car warranty/online classes/dentist appointment notifications are going to the wrong address.

Actually for the online classes I took pleasure in emailing the teacher and telling them their student is an idiot.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

greazeball posted:

I'm the dumbass who made a very common jokey pun with my first name as my gmail address, because it was 2002 and having dumb edgelord email addresses was still the thing to do. It's been a nightmare forever. People use it to make restaurant reservations, to fill in online surveys, to join curch websites and newsletters, to register for dating sites, to make flight reservations, everything. The spam folder is always full but the inbox is worse because they're all "legitimate" emails. Then some easyjet employee put it in the system as some kind of test account so I started having flights appear in my calendar that didn't match anything and couldn't be found on the easyjet website.

Ah, shitfuck@gmail.com, we meet again.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

maxwellhill posted:

mods change their name to volceltown

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Not quite a scam, but years ago I pissed some guy off and he signed me up for the PETA newsletter with the name "Cock." So it would be whatever nutjob was in charge of PETA at the time making an earnest plea for a donation from Cock.

I assume he was trying to annoy me, but I just found it hilarious.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

an earnest plea for a donation from Cock.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

I have a firstname.lastname@gmail.com account, but my name isn't very common so I've only had a few emails thanking my for getting my car serviced in Colorado or signing up for an account for a store in Nova Scotia. But, for a while, I was getting emails for someone whose email was firstname.lastname@ymail.com, which people obviously misread or made a typo when sending. The person who shared my name in this instance seemed to be some sort of admin for a lawyer's office, so for a while I kept getting what appeared to be very sensitive legal documents (didn't open them, since the text of the emails made it clear that they were related to legal cases). I always replied back to those informing the lawyer that sent it to me that they sent it to the wrong email, and eventually they stopped. You'd hope that people would be more careful when sending sensitive things like that.

The regular mistaken emails I send to spam/unsubscribe, but if they made an account with my email, I will go in and reset the password/delete the account. Someone once signed me up for a Michael's (USA) account, while I already have a Michael's (Canada) account. I guess they are quasi-separate systems since it set up both, but it gave me issues when I tried to log in to my (Canada) account since it couldn't figure out which system I was supposed to be in. I had to contact customer service for that one since it confused the system.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

impossiboobs posted:

I always replied back to those informing the lawyer that sent it to me that they sent it to the wrong email, and eventually they stopped. You'd hope that people would be more careful when sending sensitive things like that.

A lot of lawyers offices just have some a 'this is sensitive information, do not open if you are not the intended recipient' disclaimer as part of their default signature on all outgoing mail to cover themselves, and I think that encourages them to treat the more sensitive stuff casually.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

A lot of lawyers offices just have some a 'this is sensitive information, do not open if you are not the intended recipient' disclaimer as part of their default signature on all outgoing mail to cover themselves, and I think that encourages them to treat the more sensitive stuff casually.

I remember a couple of jobs ago one team started putting something like "this email is categorised as SECRET" in all their signatures (it might have been INTERNAL or something else, it was basically the second highest category of document we had), and this was eventually met with our director emailing everyone to say "Hey, that poo poo is not alright, you review each one and categorise it, you don't get to just pretend your every utterance is going to cause material damage to the company if it is shared, do it properly"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

I remember a couple of jobs ago one team started putting something like "this email is categorised as SECRET" in all their signatures (it might have been INTERNAL or something else, it was basically the second highest category of document we had), and this was eventually met with our director emailing everyone to say "Hey, that poo poo is not alright, you review each one and categorise it, you don't get to just pretend your every utterance is going to cause material damage to the company if it is shared, do it properly"

"... Anyway, for insider trading reasons, everyone all the way down to the customer service people are considered to have insider knowledge and are thus only allowed to trade stock in these certain days."

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Does it cover them in any meaningful way? Medical providers put similar clauses in their emails, but misdirected confidential information is still a HIPAA breach and sanctionable even if you have a cute little note in the signature. It must be the same for lawyers, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I do NOT give facebook authorization to use my photos for promotional purposes.