Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

eightysixed posted:

People still use Opera? :stare:
Didn’t it change to a pay model like 20 years ago?

AFAIK, it doesn’t now and never has charged money to install and use.

Some devs behind it left a few years ago after it got bought by a Chinese company, however. They got together and made Vivaldi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Pretty sure they politely asked you to pay for it way longer than that, but also today's opera is just another chrome, but owned by some vc company or whatever.

The opera people fondly remember is now vivaldi, which is an entirely different another chrome.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

eightysixed posted:

People still use Opera? :stare:
Didn’t it change to a pay model like 20 years ago?

Opera been a lot of things now it's a free Chromium for gamers

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kibner posted:

AFAIK, it doesn’t now and never has charged money to install and use.

It was definitely a shareware browser to begin with an an ad-supported browser when first using the presto engine

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

Opera been a lot of things now it's a free Chromium for gamers

A gamer browser. What will they think of next?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

A gamer browser. What will they think of next?

I heard word that the oil companies have developed a gamer fuel

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wish Opera had released the Presto engine source (even under a restrictive license) when they abandoned it because they had so much crazy poo poo in there

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I wish Opera had released the Presto engine source (even under a restrictive license) when they abandoned it because they had so much crazy poo poo in there

Wasn’t there a Presto source leak when they made the swap?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grassy Knowles posted:

Wasn’t there a Presto source leak when they made the swap?

oh, not that I saw, but I was thinking something a little more…intentional

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

oh, not that I saw, but I was thinking something a little more…intentional

It definitely did (and it remained up for 11 months, so I do believe someone had intent). I know what you mean by wishing it were available for legal usage, but next best thing is fairly easily found if you want it :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grassy Knowles posted:

It definitely did (and it remained up for 11 months, so I do believe someone had intent). I know what you mean by wishing it were available for legal usage, but next best thing is fairly easily found if you want it :)

yeah, I have enough of a history with browsers and visibility in the industry that I try pretty hard to stay clean of that sort of thing, but I might ask someone who isn’t as concerned about such things for a summary!

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Accipiter posted:

I can't tell you how many times I've thought "this should be simple enough for Siri to figure out" and so I ask, only to be unreasonably surprised at the completely idiotic response I get. I think the last thing I asked was (while driving and hooked into CarPlay), "How do I get to my next appointment?" only for it to read me a summary of the next thing on my calendar.

Before that I'd tried "pause the living room Apple TV" on my watch, and it derped out with "I can't do that on your Apple Watch." WELL WHY THE gently caress NOT?

We're at the end of 2023 and all I regularly use Siri for is to set timers, because it's still too stupid to do anything else.

So I played this same game again last week and still lost.

Still. loving. Useless.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Finally bit the bullet and updated to Sonoma since, in spite of early rumblings about issues with some core apps, most of them seemed to have been updated to work.

But oh dear… just when you thought it was safe to get back into the water. Tons of apps that fail to redraw their windows or specific elements properly; apps that lose their colouring the instant they lose focus after launch; apps being completely befuddled by the screen coordinate system and not knowing where their windows are (with the window snapping to a completely new position when moved, and with attached sub-windows and similar elements showing up completely detached from their main window); random slowdowns on draws for things that should be utterly trivial (and which still don't take a massive amount of cpu or any other resource).

Some light googling seems to suggest that Apple did s bunch of updating to the window drawing system and that a whole slew of odd behaviours can be traced back to this. None of it is mission-critical for me — maybe aside from not knowing the remaining mine count in minesweeper — but it gets… annoying. So I thought I'd ask the thread if this is a know thing, if the internet is right about the underlying cause, and/or if it's just one of those “wait it out and eventually apps will probably be updated” things, so I don't have to start finding unique solutions for every problem.

:eng99:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Accipiter posted:

So I played this same game again last week and still lost.

Still. loving. Useless.

Yeah this is extremely frustrating. I assume you turned on the option to allow Siri access to Health data?

I have turned on the option but every prompt it just asks to open the health app, which is a different result than yours but still wrong. :argh:

I even used example prompts from the press release where they are promoting it with no luck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How do I tell Siri I took my meds? Do I need a ~~connected~~ medication container?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

How do I tell Siri I took my meds? Do I need a ~~connected~~ medication container?

Not gonna lie, i'd probably buy one at this point, especially if it's smart enough to tell the pills apart. Hell, I bought a smart blood pressure monitor and a smart scale so in for a penny, in for a pound right?

I draw the line at pissing on a sensor though! not a toxx i'll absolutely fold on this like I did on smart home tech in the first place

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cold on a Cob posted:

Not gonna lie, i'd probably buy one at this point, especially if it's smart enough to tell the pills apart. Hell, I bought a smart blood pressure monitor and a smart scale so in for a penny, in for a pound right?

I draw the line at pissing on a sensor though! not a toxx i'll absolutely fold on this like I did on smart home tech in the first place

Smart pipe, baby.

OK, so what connected medication containers are reliable? I’m game.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Smart pipe, baby.

OK, so what connected medication containers are reliable? I’m game.

I found one that has eyes and a mouth and it poops out the pills and I don't want one anymore

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cold on a Cob posted:

I found one that has eyes and a mouth and it poops out the pills and I don't want one anymore

OK, I’ll check Temu myself!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Tippis posted:

Finally bit the bullet and updated to Sonoma since, in spite of early rumblings about issues with some core apps, most of them seemed to have been updated to work.

But oh dear… just when you thought it was safe to get back into the water. Tons of apps that fail to redraw their windows or specific elements properly; apps that lose their colouring the instant they lose focus after launch; apps being completely befuddled by the screen coordinate system and not knowing where their windows are (with the window snapping to a completely new position when moved, and with attached sub-windows and similar elements showing up completely detached from their main window); random slowdowns on draws for things that should be utterly trivial (and which still don't take a massive amount of cpu or any other resource).

Some light googling seems to suggest that Apple did s bunch of updating to the window drawing system and that a whole slew of odd behaviours can be traced back to this. None of it is mission-critical for me — maybe aside from not knowing the remaining mine count in minesweeper — but it gets… annoying. So I thought I'd ask the thread if this is a know thing, if the internet is right about the underlying cause, and/or if it's just one of those “wait it out and eventually apps will probably be updated” things, so I don't have to start finding unique solutions for every problem.

The only thing I’ve run into is a dumb bug where Command+Tab stopped working outright and wouldn’t start again until I’d rebooted. Also that weird thing where performance of my xscreensaver modules slowed to a crawl after the Sonoma upgrade, forcing jwz to issue an update to work around the new behavior - apparently tied to something involving the OS’s new screensavers. I still like it better than Windows!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I had that too, Cmd+` (to cycle windows within an app) stopped working in one app and then another. Sometimes it would come back if I clicked off the app and back onto it, but gradually it went away permanently in all apps, leaving Exposé as my only decent option to pick an app window. When Cmd+Space to bring up Spotlight stopped working too it was conveniently time for the next Sonoma point update so I rebooted and it's fine now, 🤞

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hasturtium posted:

The only thing I’ve run into is a dumb bug where Command+Tab stopped working outright and wouldn’t start again until I’d rebooted. Also that weird thing where performance of my xscreensaver modules slowed to a crawl after the Sonoma upgrade, forcing jwz to issue an update to work around the new behavior - apparently tied to something involving the OS’s new screensavers. I still like it better than Windows!

A couple of reboots have indeed gotten rid of some of the issues… which somehow makes it worse! Why should that help? And in stages?!

Gah! But at least one of those things is that my screensavers are now also up to speed so it looks pretty when it's not doing anything. :v:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It keeps rearranging my monitor configuration each restart

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Wild EEPROM posted:

It keeps rearranging my monitor configuration each restart

I'd have to revert back over this one :argh:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Tippis posted:

Over at the MRF forums they're lamenting this as well.. in fact, they report that an Adobe web page is specifically telling people not to upgrade to Sonoma 14.2 if you use Lightroom Classic..

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/lightroom-classic-and-macos-sonoma.html

But one of the MRF users reports that this bug is quashed in Sonoma 14.3 beta 1.

So just wait until Apple pushes out Sonoma 14.3 final maybe?

I want to say that this same issue seems to exist in Ventura 13.6.3 since I'm seeing some reports about Windowserver crashes specific to that version.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 18, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Carrot desktop, and other apps per the dev, has this fun "ghost outline" of a window on the main desktop whenever the program is running in Sonoma. Isn't that fun? Thankfully it's easy to hid and ignore until Apple does something.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Zenostein posted:

The opera people fondly remember is now vivaldi, which is an entirely different another chrome.
For what it's worth, I love Vivaldi and highly recommend it. Being compatible with Chrome apps is super-useful.

If I had one criticism, I don't necessarily love it out-of-the-box, but everything about its behaviour is super-customisable. I gather it finally came to iOS too. Syncing with other devices is great; had it on Android for years.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

In today's episode of Sonoma Adventures™…

…it's starting to look like my issues are vaguely related to the semi-intermittent sleep-adjacent horribleness nexxai posted about a while back, where it would misbehave and require reboots to fix itself. And then, after the latest release, it happened on a delayed schedule instead.

nexxai posted:

Goddammit, it turns out that it just does it the first time after closing the lid instead now.

GET UR poo poo TOGETHER APPLE :blastu:

I haven't been able to pin down the exact trigger, but it certainly feels like any time my MBP goes to sleep, the OS fucks up and no longer draws stuff properly. For bonus funtime, it even applies specifically for some websites, even if the browser itself generally works — most likely, it's related to whether they use any special drawing functions (e.g. Google Earth). It's as if some component of the graphics system can't survive being put to sleep.

It's always nice when my second-to-latest version Mac requires more regular reboots than a late-'90s windows PC.

So tempted to go through the massive faff of rolling back to 13.whatever 😩

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there a reason I can't use touch ID to login to my mac on initial startup? any other time is fine (i.e. screen locked)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

actionjackson posted:

is there a reason I can't use touch ID to login to my mac on initial startup? any other time is fine (i.e. screen locked)

This is by design and iOS works the same way.

e: to actually answer your question, it's because the OS uses your password to unlock the secure enclave to access your Touch ID information.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also that’s an extra level of legal protection if cops are trying to get into your poo poo in the US (you can be forced to use your face or Touch ID to unlock a device, but you can’t be forced to give up your password)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Arivia posted:

Also that’s an extra level of legal protection if cops are trying to get into your poo poo in the US (you can be forced to use your face or Touch ID to unlock a device, but you can’t be forced to give up your password)

Worth knowing on your iPhone that you can force this state without a reboot by holding volume up + lock to bring up the reboot screen; then even if you cancel out it will still leave touch id/face id in a disabled state.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Or mash the power button like 4 or 5 times. Easy to do in a pocket.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

problems

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

This is by design and iOS works the same way.

e: to actually answer your question, it's because the OS uses your password to unlock the secure enclave to access your Touch ID information.

thank you

another question, is there a way to make it so stickies stays locked in a certain spot after the machine starts up? I keep it anchored in the top left, but on startup it's often moved down a bit, or when I switch to an external monitor.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I have a pretty high end gaming PC running Windows, but Microsoft's continued telemetry and constant changing of Windows features has me longing for my days on OS X when I had a Late-2007 MacBook and a Late-2012 iMac. I currently have a 13" 2020 M1 MacBook Pro that I use sometimes, but the screen is constraining and I just prefer actual desktop usage over laptop usage 99% of the time. I saw the M2 Mac Mini on sale for $500 at Best Buy, and the Satechi dock thing the Mac Mini sits on that's the same width/depth as the computer, has me considering getting one to use as my normal shitposting computer and to just relegate my PC to gaming tasks only. Fwiw all I do is shitpost, watch degenerate anime, and play games on my computer, there is zero work being done.

Does it make any sense at all to do this and get a KVM to switch my peripherals between the two systems, or should I just deal with Windows because, while it's not great, it's still usable for my basic needs?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

So.. My janky-yet-simple solution for sharing a keyboard between my Mac Studio and my windows machine is:

I have a Magic Keyboard paired to the Mac with Bluetooth, but a lightning cable plugged into my main display’s USB hub, which is plugged into the PC.

When I want to use the Mac, I unplug the keyboard and use it in Bluetooth/wireless mode.

When I want to use the PC, I plug in the end of the lightning cable into the keyboard. I feel like I’m an old timey switchboard operator but it’s really easy and the connection with the Mac stops as soon as you plug it in.

It also keeps the keyboard charged regularly.

As for the mouse.. I just put aside the Magic Mouse when not using it and have a separate gaming mouse for the PC

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 19, 2023

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
You should try Barrier: https://github.com/debauchee/barrier

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I use Barrier, but it's pretty buggy and hasn't been updated for a couple years. Occasionally I just have to reboot both computers for it to reconnect.

Been wondering if just paying for Synergy would help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
For anyone still running an Intel mac (or have an M1 and are willing to compile rust code), you can use this little utility plus a usb switch. It works surprisingly well despite how janky it sounds. If you're not familiar with github the releases are on the right side of the page (or click here).

quote:

This utility watches for USB device connect/disconnect events and switches monitor inputs via DDC/CI. This turns a simple USB switch into a full-fledged KVM solution: press one button on your USB switch and all your monitors connect to a different input.

It is supposed to be installed on all computers that could be connected to these monitors, since the app only switches monitors "one way" and relies on itself running on the other computers to switch it "the other way" as needed.

As noted, there's a workaround for m1 macs but it just does not work with m2 macs at all.

Personally I just switch my dock cable between my Mac and my work PC these days though.