Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Bitcoin over 42k, up more than 150% this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Bitcoin over 42k, up more than 150% this year.

turns out people continue to be loving morons

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's called reversion to the mean.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
At this point Obama will become president again and declare Tether too big to fail

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
amway and herbalife are still trucking along, i'm sure crypto will continue to find idiots to fleece

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
It turns out stupid people are a renewable resource where the resource pool gets bigger the worse things are.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It's like that Chinese investment company that was widely known as a ponzi scheme that the Chinese government let exist for some reason and it became one of the most popular investments in the country because everyone knew it was a ponzi scheme and was convinced that they would be one of the smart ones who knew when to get out to get some free money off the idiots.

Everyone knows that bitcoin is for suckers and tons of people are going to get left holding the bag AGAIN, but I'm going to get in and make money off of the suckers because THIS TIME I'll get out at the exact right moment, unlike those other rubes.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 18, 2023

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's like that Chinese investment company that was wildly known as a ponzi scheme that the Chinese government let exist for some reason and it became one of the most popular investments in the country because everyone knew it was a ponzi scheme and was convinced that they would be one of the smart ones who knew when to get out to get some free money off the idiots.

Everyone knows that bitcoin is for suckers and tons of people are going to get left holding the bag AGAIN, but I'm going to get in and make money off of the suckers because THIS TIME I'll get out at the exact right moment, unlike those other rubes.

As someone who got in and out at the right times in 2021 and made ~30k (got into my house!), don't try it. The loving stress watching that account bounce up and down and the chance to lose everything is just not worth it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

It's like that Chinese investment company that was widely known as a ponzi scheme that the Chinese government let exist for some reason and it became one of the most popular investments in the country because everyone knew it was a ponzi scheme and was convinced that they would be one of the smart ones who knew when to get out to get some free money off the idiots.

We've all been waiting for the bottom to drop out for good for over a decade. Sadly, at this point, I think we just have to accept that it's going to stick around, even if it's extremely dumb.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Chevy briefly had their online sales and customer service departments run by a version of Chat GPT.

Someone tricked the AI into agreeing to sell a new car for $1 and posted it online.

A bunch of people tried it afterwards and Chevy eventually had to change it so it couldn't answer questions about sales and then eventually just took it down entirely.

https://twitter.com/ChrisJBakke/status/1736533308849443121

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

We’re gonna be seeing that a lot. Companies thinking that ChatGPT and other general AI tools are plug-and-play for every use case. Eventually they’ll figure out they need to hire a person — or a team or a vendor — to censor the robot.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Vegetable posted:

We’re gonna be seeing that a lot. Companies thinking that ChatGPT and other general AI tools are plug-and-play for every use case. Eventually they’ll figure out they need to hire a person — or a team or a vendor — to censor the robot.

Tech nightmares 6: hiring a team to censor the robot

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Volmarias posted:

We've all been waiting for the bottom to drop out for good for over a decade. Sadly, at this point, I think we just have to accept that it's going to stick around, even if it's extremely dumb.

Bernie Madoff managed to go 17 years.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Sounds like a live assistor would know not to let a sale of a truck for one dollar not to go through, but I majored humanities and unemployable skills, so what would I know?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Star Man posted:

Sounds like a live assistor would know not to let a sale of a truck for one dollar not to go through, but I majored humanities and unemployable skills, so what would I know?

A live person would cost more than zero dollars, which means that number would not go up as fast.

I'm also curious if they actually honor this, or try to welch on it as a "well obviously it's not an actual offer, they took advantage of a flaw which means technically they were hacking and"

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I seriously doubt the chat bot was there to actually finalize sales. Probably intended to answer questions about features, accessories, warranties, etc.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

ponzicar posted:

I seriously doubt the chat bot was there to actually finalize sales. Probably intended to answer questions about features, accessories, warranties, etc.
People in rent-seeking sectors such as car dealerships are dumb as poo poo. I wouldn't be so sure.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Volmarias posted:

A live person would cost more than zero dollars, which means that number would not go up as fast.

I'm also curious if they actually honor this, or try to welch on it as a "well obviously it's not an actual offer, they took advantage of a flaw which means technically they were hacking and"

They definitely won't. It was obviously unintended and the Chat bot doesn't have the legal authority to make a sale. It is just funny that they basically took Chat GPT out of the box with no edits and directed everyone who inquired about customer service or sales to the bot.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Volmarias posted:

I can't imagine the dealership didn't tell them to gently caress off if they actually tried to push the issue. Even if the bot could be used to finalize a sale I can't imagine the effort (and money) was spent to automate the contract creation and signing, assuming that's even legal in their state since I'm pretty sure when I bought my last vehicle there was at least one step that had to be notarized in addition to actual signatures by real people on both sides of the deal and a Chatbot isn't going to be able to make or sign DocuSign files. Yet. I give it a year before some techbro dipshit does exactly that and loses everything.

Plus someone saying "yes I have legal authority and this is legally binding" doesn't make it true and you'd struggle to find a judge who'd say otherwise.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Volmarias posted:

Renting OAI's cloud services is also more than zero dollars, but to capital paying for a service always feels better than paying for labor. The money should only change hands between the rich.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Prior to the fix people were also just using it as a free version of ChatGTP that they could get to do their programming homework or whatever, which is a possibly funnier abuse.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Evil Fluffy posted:

Plus someone saying "yes I have legal authority and this is legally binding" doesn't make it true and you'd struggle to find a judge who'd say otherwise.

No but if you say "no takesies backsies" then it's binding, this is how the US conned Alaska from the Tsar for $1.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Evil Fluffy posted:

Only because they’re too cowardly to make JudgeGPT

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
Customer service is going to be great, I get to go through another frontline that's powered by GPT prompts just to get to the next level where the person tells me actually no that's all wrong and not corporate policy and what's your phone number or account number?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

roffles posted:

Customer service is going to be great, I get to go through another frontline that's powered by GPT prompts just to get to the next level where the person tells me actually no that's all wrong and not corporate policy and what's your phone number or account number?

It's already been a thing for a while.

My doctor's office and local pharmacy both have completely disabled the option to speak with a person and require you to use their automated system or leave a voice mail.

It's very obnoxious when my doctor needs to send a prescription, but forgot, and I have to:

- Call the doctor's office.
- Leave a voicemail.
- Wait a day.
- Call the pharmacy.
- Leave a voicemail to check if my doctor's office got my other voice mail and had sent the prescription over.

If not, then:

- Call the doctor's office again.
- Leave a voice mail again.
- Repeat.

My cable provider also prevents you from talking to a human being until you make their robot fail three times and automatically connect you to a person.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

It's already been a thing for a while.

My doctor's office and local pharmacy both have completely disabled the option to speak with a person and require you to use their automated system or leave a voice mail.

It's very obnoxious when my doctor needs to send a prescription, but forgot, and I have to:

- Call the doctor's office.
- Leave a voicemail.
- Wait a day.
- Call the pharmacy.
- Leave a voicemail to check if my doctor's office got my other voice mail and had sent the prescription over.

If not, then:

- Call the doctor's office again.
- Leave a voice mail again.
- Repeat.

My cable provider also prevents you from talking to a human being until you make their robot fail three times and automatically connect you to a person.

Yeah it’s all terrible but I’d rather play phone tag than have to figure out if the AI is lying to me.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The AI is never lying to you, it is always bullshitting you, in the sense of the great essay On Bullshit.

The tl;dr is that while both truth and lies are concerned with what the truth is, bullshit is not.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
An increasingly faceless automated labyrinth between you and every service you need, with as little humanity and accountability as possible. You mustn't be alarmed, this is simply our policy.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

BRJurgis posted:

An increasingly faceless automated labyrinth between you and every service you need, with as little humanity and accountability as possible. You mustn't be alarmed, this is simply our policy.
In order to serve you better and more efficiently,

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Looking like you have authority to do a thing can in fact give you authority to do a thing, at least in some cases.

Honestly, he might have had a case if he'd gone back and forth with the chatbot a bit instead of immediately going for "give me everything for $1" in order to give it the form of an actual negotiation. Probably not, but maybe.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rand Brittain posted:

Looking like you have authority to do a thing can in fact give you authority to do a thing, at least in some cases.

Honestly, he might have had a case if he'd gone back and forth with the chatbot a bit instead of immediately going for "give me everything for $1" in order to give it the form of an actual negotiation. Probably not, but maybe.

No. There is no scenario in which they would have honored selling him a $1 car. None. Zero. It’s not a “non-zero chance” it’s “exactly zero”.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

No. There is no scenario in which they would have honored selling him a $1 car. None. Zero. It’s not a “non-zero chance” it’s “exactly zero”.

Seriously. Car dealerships try not to honor actual, real, legally-binding things, lie directly to your face during sales pitches, swap documents on people if they think they can get away with it, etc, and people think they'd honor a $1.00 car sale from their chatbot? Exactly zero chance.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
How can I help you?

"My internet stopped working."

Great! Anything else I can help you with?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The idea isn't that the dealership would be willing to honor the deal, it's that a judge might look favorably on the plaintiff presenting that as evidence of honest confusion, when you take them to court over it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Whatever gets them to stop using loving chatbots

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

cat botherer posted:

In order to serve you better and more efficiently,

"It's a cookbook!"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Normally I wouldn't expect a judge to rule favorably on what is so obviously a mistake, but I could see a judge being annoyed enough at the lies and hackery of it all that they feel like the company should need to just live with it as they should of known better.

Judges can often look not so favorably on big companies that do stupid poo poo and should of known better.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Maybe a better question is "what if he'd gotten it to sell him a new car for $5,000", which is still insanely cheap but not a completely nominal sum.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

BiggerBoat posted:

I think this is a good move and all car companies should follow suit

https://jalopnik.com/gm-drops-apple-carplay-android-auto-unsafe-phone-1851093013

GM Says It's Dropping Apple CarPlay And Android Auto Because They're Unsafe

I have an old car but rented a newer one not long ago and it amazed me how distracting the screen was. Could be I'm simply not used to it but the thing really was an eye magnet. We're told not to be on our phones and drive while distracted but there's a proportionately huge TV screen right there in the center console that uses another device to operate.

Maybe make it so the car has to be stopped or in park for the screen to operate but not sure how practical that is either.

Horrible move. There are apps I use on my EV, from CarPlay that don't have equals from GM, Tesla, or Ford.

Waze is just one example. Add to that Podcasts, Google Maps etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Horrible move. There are apps I use on my EV, from CarPlay that don't have equals from GM, Tesla, or Ford.

Waze is just one example. Add to that Podcasts, Google Maps etc.

Awful reader