Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Don’t forget that Jorp works for NP as a “special contributor” and has an office in the NP offices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Canada's a funny place for punishing irresponsible driving, since in large portions of the country if you lose your ability to drive, you lose your independence almost completely.

In Manitoba, the way Winnipeg driver's cope with losing their licenses vs the way rural and northern drivers do is markedly different. In Winnipeg you can (sort of) bus and cycle and uber yourself around and you will probably not lose your job or be completely beholden to others for things like shopping trips etc.

In rural MB, drivers facing suspended licences are usually completely hosed over and fight tooth and nail against even the smallest consequences for their actions. Driving is spoken of as a right rather than a privilege.

Now usually you won't have your licence suspended unless your health has made it unsafe to license you or else you have truly done something to warrant it, but the difference in the effect this can have on the driver and their family is enormous. I'm of the opinion that things like decent bus/train options that serve more rural communities would both serve to flatten out the disproportionate effects of licence suspensions and also reduce the degree to which people in those communities are inclined or required to drive, which would in turn reduce the frequency of driving in general which can only reduce the incidence of irresponsible driving.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

NP is owned by PostMedia, who are majority owned by Chatham Asset Management. They're a US hedge fund, who in turn are majority owned by a guy named Anthony Melchiore.

He's an interesting fella.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Everyone loves gun chat right?

The LPC has recently passed C-21 An Act to amend certain Acts and to make certain consequential amendments (firearms) and given it Royal Assent on Dec 15 2023.

I wrote a summary of the changes in the Canadian gun thread in TFR if anyone wants to peruse it, the summary assumes you have basic gun law knowledge, but it gets the major points across. It has my own biases in it but I don't think it diminishes it.

EDIT: edited link thanks!

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 17, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Everyone loves gun chat right?

The LPC has recently passed C-21 An Act to amend certain Acts and to make certain consequential amendments (firearms) and given it Royal Assent on Dec 15 2023.

I wrote a summary of the changes in the Canadian gun thread in TFR if anyone wants to peruse it, the summary assumes you have basic gun law knowledge, but it gets the major points across. It has my own biases in it but I don't think it diminishes it.

your link to the TFR thread is broken

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
They should just prohibit anything semi auto or with a mag except shotguns. Want to hunt, git gud with a bolt action and one shot. No legitimate purpose for a firearm otherwise

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yup. Get rid of the nonsense technicalities and just ban all semi-autos, there is no use case for it other than killing people or gun enthusiast (and murder machine enthusiast is not a category I see any value in protecting).

The part where the rules only really apply to centre fire cartridges is dumb as hell too, sure it's harder to build a high pressure rim fire cartridge, but also why bother carving it out, especially since the purchase and transfer of handguns is all but illegal now anyway.

E: VVV another excellent requirement

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 18, 2023

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I said it before, just mandate all guns be painted hot pink and have barbie prints all over them.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

RBC posted:

I said it before, just mandate all guns be painted hot pink and have barbie prints all over them.

Well, I never wanted a gun before but

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
An early Christmas present has arrived for the Canpol thread:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/stella-luna-to-lay-off-nearly-all-staff-citing-economic-downturn-1.6689069

It's so tough for small businesses these days. Especially the ones whose owners went on Fox news about how unfair it was that people were criticizing them for supporting the convoy. You know, those people from out-of-town who decided to make life miserable for Ottawans to protest a provincial mandate that was no longer in force (and overthrow the government). Why were the people of Ottawa mad at a business supporting those guys? So unfair. https://www.foxnews.com/media/canadian-gelato-shop-owner-breaks-down-after-doxxed-called-terrorist-supporting-truckers

Anyway, it's really tough for small business. They even had to lay off all of their staff. Just before Christmas! Poor business!

Because, small business is local and needs support. Unless that small business might be imagined to be competition with my business, in which case it must be stamped out! https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...to-and-landlord

CTV's story mentions the convoy donation, but skips over the other nonsense these people have pulled. I wasn't much of a fan of their product in the first place, but lots of people were. I've been actively against them since the pandemic. Not even the donation thing, earlier than that. During the lockdowns, there was a proposal to shut down a lane of traffic along Bank street to allow pedestrians more space. This seemed like a no brainer. There hardly any traffic at the time, and allowing people to get around the neighborhood easier was a) practical b) kind and c) would probably have benefitted the businesses because it would have made going out safer during the early, very scary days. But no, can't do that, it might have inconvenienced theoretical car customers by closing a lane of traffic (in the next neighborhood over from where their location actually is).

Maneck fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 18, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

RBC posted:

I don't know if it's gone by the wayside, but from about 2009-2015 there was a big fad with buying guns "for girls" that had hot pink furniture and camo patterns with pink highlights. There is nothing stopping anyone from putting anime stickers or getting wraps for your rifle stock of your favourite waifu.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Maneck posted:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/stella-luna-to-lay-off-nearly-all-staff-citing-economic-downturn-1.6689069

It's so tough for small businesses these days. Especially the ones whose owners went on Fox news about how unfair it was that people were criticizing them for supporting the convoy. You know, those people from out-of-town who decided to make life miserable for Ottawans to protest a provincial mandate that was no longer in force (and overthrow the government). Why were the people of Ottawa mad at a business supporting those guys? So unfair. https://www.foxnews.com/media/canadian-gelato-shop-owner-breaks-down-after-doxxed-called-terrorist-supporting-truckers

Anyway, it's really tough for small business. They even had to lay off all of their staff. Just before Christmas! Poor business!

Because, small business is local and needs support. Unless that small business might be imagined to be competition with my business, in which case it must be stamped out! https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...to-and-landlord

CTV's story mentions the convoy donation, but skips over the other nonsense these people have pulled. I wasn't much of a fan of their product in the first place, but lots of people were. I've been actively against them since the pandemic. Not even the donation thing, earlier than that. During the lockdowns, there was a proposal to shut down a lane of traffic along Bank street to allow pedestrians more space. This seems like a no brainer. There hardly any traffic, and allowing people to get around the neighborhood easier was a) practical b) king and c) would probably have benefitted the businesses because it would have made going out safer during the early, very scary days. But no, can't do that, it might have inconvenienced theoretical car customers by closing a lane of traffic (in the next neighborhood over from where their business actually is).

They have one in my town down the street from me. Rest in piss you lovely lovely place

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

PittTheElder posted:

Yup. Get rid of the nonsense technicalities and just ban all semi-autos, there is no use case for it other than killing people or gun enthusiast (and murder machine enthusiast is not a category I see any value in protecting).

The part where the rules only really apply to centre fire cartridges is dumb as hell too, sure it's harder to build a high pressure rim fire cartridge, but also why bother carving it out, especially since the purchase and transfer of handguns is all but illegal now anyway.

E: VVV another excellent requirement

Agree, prevents this nonsense of making enormous lists of specific guns, it's ridiculous.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Been watching these YouTubes about a couple of Australians who make crazy slingshots. The last one had them throwing ballista bolts from on top of a car. Anyways guns are for the unimaginative.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Maneck posted:

CTV's story mentions the convoy donation, but skips over the other nonsense these people have pulled. I wasn't much of a fan of their product in the first place, but lots of people were. I've been actively against them since the pandemic. Not even the donation thing, earlier than that. During the lockdowns, there was a proposal to shut down a lane of traffic along Bank street to allow pedestrians more space. This seemed like a no brainer. There hardly any traffic at the time, and allowing people to get around the neighborhood easier was a) practical b) kind and c) would probably have benefitted the businesses because it would have made going out safer during the early, very scary days. But no, can't do that, it might have inconvenienced theoretical car customers by closing a lane of traffic (in the next neighborhood over from where their location actually is).

They're absolutely a lovely place and I'm glad they're closing, but I don't have an issue with the waffle/coffee shop (without knowing the negotiations that went on between the lawyers). Having a clause like that in the lease generally means they pay more for the lease, it is literally part of what they're paying for. Without knowing what the landlord was willing to offer in response for waiving that clause of the lease, I'm not going to fault Stella Luna for that one - it's not like we don't have all of the convoy bullshit to smear them with.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah close to 100% of restaurants have an exclusivity clause with their landlords. Not discounting that these guys might be jerks for other reasons but that part always seemed pretty normal to me.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Regardless of what happened here, exclusivity clauses are often pretty dumb. Two or three similar businesses near each other will often do better than one by itself. The increased traffic due to customers having more choice overall more than makes up for the losses to a nearby competitor, unless your business is particularly lovely or hated for some reason like idk supporting a group that made your customer's lives hell for awhile.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Maneck posted:

My Mum has lived in that area, (Old Ottawa South,) Since the mid 70s. It's an extremely lefty area due to the unusual mix of somewhat affluent white hippy boomers who bought their homes back when it was a lovely run down area and students attending Carleton University.

This is the area where they blocked off a major entry road into the city and forced convoy guys to peel off their gently caress Trudeau stickers and take down their flags before they would allow them to turn around and go home. Later on, someone Guerrilla-installed a heritage plaque commemorating the event on the nearby bridge. Going full American-style right wing persecution complex was not a good business decision for her.

The way the locals put it, the donation to the "truckers" was very forgivable since I believe it was made well before they even arrived in Ottawa. It was the Fox news appearance that really pissed people off. A lot of the locals absolutely refuse to go there despite the gelato being extremely good. I can personally attest to that; it's honestly some of the most delicious gelato i've ever eaten. They used to have lines going down to the end of the block on hot weekends. Now, not so much.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Aces High posted:

I don't know if it's gone by the wayside, but from about 2009-2015 there was a big fad with buying guns "for girls" that had hot pink furniture and camo patterns with pink highlights. There is nothing stopping anyone from putting anime stickers or getting wraps for your rifle stock of your favourite waifu.

The pink-guns-for-girls thing is still a manifestation of toxic masculinity because a lot of the chuddy gunfucker id is based around projecting strength in accordance with traditional cishet """values""" and the symbolism matters to the worst of those types. I'd wager that attacking the imagery would cut the number of weirdos gun culture attracts by making it harder to maintain the illusion of being a badass SEAL while trying to intimidate minorities with obese bearded truck-driving friends clad in cargo pants and wrap-around Oakleys.

Functionally yes a mini 30 does the same thing as an AR-15 but the image they project is much different, and the assholes in charge of marketing know what brings in more money (they're also either authoritarian assholes, or okay with authoritarian assholes).

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Maneck posted:

I was seeing this story trend on Twitter alongside a bunch of dipshits complaining about how unfair it was that that one guy who threatened a police officer at the Eaton center over the weekend wasn't immediately arrested while the people at the Convoy faced actual legal repercussions for participating in a protest that was, in part, calling for the overthrow of a democratically elected government. Especially funny is how they conveniently ignore the part where the Ottawa police sat around and let the Convoy protests continue for weeks despite repeated requests and orders to break them up.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

ZShakespeare posted:

Been watching these YouTubes about a couple of Australians who make crazy slingshots. The last one had them throwing ballista bolts from on top of a car. Anyways guns are for the unimaginative.

He's also got one where he visits the USA to attach an assault rifle to one of those robot dogs. Absolutely terrifying.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

KingKalamari posted:

I was seeing this story trend on Twitter alongside a bunch of dipshits complaining about how unfair it was that that one guy who threatened a police officer at the Eaton center over the weekend wasn't immediately arrested while the people at the Convoy faced actual legal repercussions for participating in a protest that was, in part, calling for the overthrow of a democratically elected government. Especially funny is how they conveniently ignore the part where the Ottawa police sat around and let the Convoy protests continue for weeks despite repeated requests and orders to break them up.

I live a block from Metcalfe in downtown Ottawa, (which is the street they always showed on the news with the line of truckfuckers stretching all the way to parliament,) I got a front row seat to the police chumming it up with the other chuds around Parliament Hill. The police just watched them as they rolled in carts packed with gas cans/propane and built an incredibly illegal plywood storage hut right in confederation park. It wasn't so much funny as infuriating. Nothing started to get done until they started shipping in police from other jurisdictions at enormous expense.

The Ottawa police absolutely could have handled it. They just didn't want to, and we had to suffer through loving train horns rattling the windows in the middle of the night, attempted arson, and local businesses being regularly threatened by beardy trucker hat chuds for weeks while they sat on their hands.

Not sure if they are still doing it now, but the police association building on Catherine was flying a huge "Thin blue line" Canadian flag right out in the front for the longest time. gently caress those guys.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 18, 2023

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Lucasar posted:

He's also got one where he visits the USA to attach an assault rifle to one of those robot dogs. Absolutely terrifying.

He is an exceptionally funny and talented person who I am mystified has not lost a limb or permanently damaged his toes from welding with bare feet.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Svaha posted:

Nothing started to get done until they started shipping in police from other jurisdictions at enormous expense.

I lived through this poo poo and the moment I knew we were gonna get through it was when I saw the Surete du Quebec roll in.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Svaha posted:

It was the Fox news appearance that really pissed people off. A lot of the locals absolutely refuse to go there despite the gelato being extremely good. I can personally attest to that; it's honestly some of the most delicious gelato i've ever eaten. They used to have lines going down to the end of the block on hot weekends. Now, not so much.

"Don't poo poo where you eat"

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Svaha posted:

I live a block from Metcalfe in downtown Ottawa, (which is the street they always showed on the news with the line of truckfuckers stretching all the way to parliament,) I got a front row seat to the police chumming it up with the other chuds around Parliament Hill. The police just watched them as they rolled in carts packed with gas cans/propane and built an incredibly illegal plywood storage hut right in confederation park. It wasn't so much funny as infuriating. Nothing started to get done until they started shipping in police from other jurisdictions at enormous expense.

The Ottawa police absolutely could have handled it. They just didn't want to, and we had to suffer through loving train horns rattling the windows in the middle of the night, attempted arson, and local businesses being regularly threatened by beardy trucker hat chuds for weeks while they sat on their hands.

Not sure if they are still doing it now, but the police association building on Catherine was flying a huge "Thin blue line" Canadian flag right out in the front for the longest time. gently caress those guys.

Reminded me of the police response to the Caledonia standoff, where there was an army of OPP standing around with their arms folded while a town was terrorized. Not so nice is it.

At least your lights stayed on, no one used a flaming stolen truck to destroy an electrical substation in Ottawa.

E: I suggest that the motives of the police were the same in both situations, not wanting to take action that might go wrong and get the blame. It certainly wasn’t sympathy for the protesters at Caledonia.

Fornax Disaster fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 18, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Guest2553 posted:

The pink-guns-for-girls thing is still a manifestation of toxic masculinity because a lot of the chuddy gunfucker id is based around projecting strength in accordance with traditional cishet """values""" and the symbolism matters to the worst of those types. I'd wager that attacking the imagery would cut the number of weirdos gun culture attracts by making it harder to maintain the illusion of being a badass SEAL while trying to intimidate minorities with obese bearded truck-driving friends clad in cargo pants and wrap-around Oakleys.

Yeah, I remember that aspect of the pink guns too, especially since they usually only offered them in "girl" calibres. There are some things I miss about working behind a gun counter, but there's a whoooooole lotta poo poo I do not miss one bit.

I liked some of the offerings that were promoted back then, as in there were things I, as a white cishet male, would've loved to own

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fornax Disaster posted:

Reminded me of the police response to the Caledonia standoff, where there was an army of OPP standing around with their arms folded while a town was terrorized. Not so nice is it.

At least your lights stayed on, no one used a flaming stolen truck to destroy an electrical substation in Ottawa.

E: I suggest that the motives of the police were the same in both situations, not wanting to take action that might go wrong and get the blame. It certainly wasn’t sympathy for the protesters at Caledonia.

ah yes, indigenous protestors pushing back on illegal occupation is terrorizing an innocent town. gently caress off with that settler bullshit

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

That situation was a lot more nuanced than that, but I have no interest in relitigating it now.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I get it man, I often don't want to get pulled in defending my tone deaf comparisons either.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

COPE 27 posted:

I lived through this poo poo and the moment I knew we were gonna get through it was when I saw the Surete du Quebec roll in.

Was this because the SQ has had previous experience dealing with protests in (mostly) Montreal? Or, maybe due to the anglophone / francophone dynamic existing between the protesters and the SQ?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I think they were mostly from MRC des Collins and ticketing/arresting Ottawans is their favourite passtime.
Plus unlike the Ottawa police who are racist, lazy, and incompetent they are only racist.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Fornax Disaster posted:

They called in bomb threats to the hospitals. They justified this by saying it was to distract police so they couldn't interfere with the protest. The police weren't dealing with them, at all, so they just terrorized health care workers and sick people for literally no reason.

Sorry you had to deal with indigenous persons making themselves visible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I’ve been seeing the Flu Trux Klan asking “but why can pro-Palestinian protesters have protests at malls during CHRISTMAS???”

To which I say, die of COVID, you fucks. The best Christmas gift would be a liberated Palestine, I see no reason you can’t beseech the mall Santa for that, either individually or in a group.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fornax Disaster posted:

That situation was a lot more nuanced than that, but I have no interest in relitigating it now.

Here's some napkins to wipe the blue dribble coming from the side of your mouth pig fucker.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Fornax Disaster posted:

E: I suggest that the motives of the police were the same in both situations, not wanting to take action that might go wrong and get the blame..

There's a whole lot of information out there that makes this claimed motivation (at least regarding Ottawa convoy) look completely clueless.
This has all been covered before but from the start the Ottawa police were extremely sympathetic to the convoy and based their initial response on 'intelligence' from Rex Murphy (https://pressprogress.ca/ottawa-police-intelligence-unit-relied-on-dubious-and-politically-biased-information-about-convoy/)

Trying to draw parallels to police response to indigenous land protests is ridiculous.

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 19, 2023

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Here's some napkins to wipe the blue dribble coming from the side of your mouth pig fucker.

This sort of thing is why I see no use in debating this topic here, there is no getting past that kind of bigotry and hate.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
This is a good bit. I like this one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh dear, are people mean to you when you spout stupid bullshit?

Very sad. Very sad indeed. What a tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

I still think it’s a reasonable parallel. In both situations the dispute was between a protest group and the government, with residents caught in the middle who had little agency over the situation. There was initially a lot of support for the protest in Caledonia, development is not very popular out there. People began to feel very frightened when the destruction of infrastructure and threatening of people started. The dark joke being made in town at the time was that who was going to volunteer to get killed so that the government was going to take the situation seriously.

I reject the idea that rural Canadians are somehow more complicit in what happened to our native peoples than anyone else and deserve special punishment. Living in a big city and cultivating all the right opinions does not absolve anyone. I buy gas on the Mississaugas of the Credit Reserve, it is nowhere near Mississauga or the Credit River.