Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Aramoro posted:

I'm not sure what happened here. I went to the Bottomless Pit and talked to it for a bit and then one of my crew members went Missing and right enough Jae vanished from my party. But then the Missing quest just completed itself without me doing anything and Jae is right there on my ship.

Check Jae's willpower stat. Then realise you could have done that for any one companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Act 3 was funny to me because It's basically a passion play for everything I dislike about eldar in the fluff. Everyone has massive towering egos, despite doing the dumbest poo poo possible and immediately losing terribly to you in a series of fights they had already made unfair in their own favor.

You're there because an elf betrayed you for very questionable reasons in the dumbest way possible. Everything they managed to inflict upon the party that aggrieved them they went through themselves because they didn't think anything through.

They finally get reunited with their long lost comrade and in 2 minutes of dialogue you have to talk them out of murdering each other; all while they discuss how monkeys are stupid and they're above listening to you.

Everyone on the ship wanted to murder the lady for betraying us and my thought basically was that she seemed too stupid to really understand what she had been doing. Doing something to punish her felt like double jeopardy.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 18, 2023

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Eifert Posting posted:

Act 3 was funny to me

Yeah, same. I know it was supposed to be some big dark moment, but I was :allears: throughout the whole thing because it was so on-brand for Eldar, I love it!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

pentyne posted:

There is no good reason for embracing chaos, that's the point.

You become a minor god

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One of the greater themes of the game is that the only non heretical option really is dogmatic. Sure, They call the mustache twirling one heretical and the "Not space-PolPot" option something else but unless you figure something very specific out you're going to end up in the same place at the end of the day.

My take is that they were way too heavy-handed with this, but that's clearly what they were going for and it's not a completely unreasonable understanding of the setting.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Do I lose Steeve if I choose option #4? :ohdear:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Eifert Posting posted:

Act 3 was funny to me because It's basically a passion play for everything I dislike about eldar in the fluff.

And that's why it's the best chapter. :colbert:

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Eifert Posting posted:

One of the greater themes of the game is that the only non heretical option really is dogmatic. Sure, They call the mustache twirling one heretical and the "Not space-PolPot" option something else but unless you figure something very specific out you're going to end up in the same place at the end of the day.

My take is that they were way too heavy-handed with this, but that's clearly what they were going for and it's not a completely unreasonable understanding of the setting.

...Uh, no, that is very much not the case. You are going to end up in very different places if you make Iconoclast choices instead of Heretical ones and vice versa, because there's a difference between 'letting some Chaos poo poo happen because you weren't willing to get your hands dirty/you were naive/you weren't willing to compromise your morals(whichever floats your boat)' and 'actively worshipping Chaos'.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Used Marazhai to help me get out of Commoraugh, immediately turned him over to Heinrix upon starting act 4. Feel quite pleased with myself, gently caress that rear end in a top hat and I hope he dies in agony and then suffers for eternity.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

t3isukone posted:

...Uh, no, that is very much not the case. You are going to end up in very different places if you make Iconoclast choices instead of Heretical ones and vice versa, because there's a difference between 'letting some Chaos poo poo happen because you weren't willing to get your hands dirty/you were naive/you weren't willing to compromise your morals(whichever floats your boat)' and 'actively worshipping Chaos'.

Likely the outcome of Iconoclast choices is giving people a 2nd chance and having to come back to kill them after they disappoint you and taking a loss of some kind due to not being proactive enough against possible heresy. There's probably some long term benefits but early impressions are dismal.

You take a permanent -5WP debuff to your RT if, Act 1 ending decision Iconoclast choice, you don't blow up the planet and instead save the holy fusion engine.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

OTOH straight dogmatic choices lead you to off at least 4 potential party members (Jae, Idira, Yrliet, Marazhai would all go for being various levels of xeno or lawbreaking). Really, you should probably :commissar: everyone in your party for doing/being exposed to heretical things.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Obviously going heretic I expect to lose some companions but man these people put up with a lot if they're still not trying to burn me while the bridge of my ship is filled with evil ooze and eyeballs and crucified corpses lol

Sab669 posted:

Do I lose Steeve if I choose option #4? :ohdear:

No seems like you can choose that infinity times without repercussion

habeasdorkus posted:

Used Marazhai to help me get out of Commoraugh, immediately turned him over to Heinrix upon starting act 4. Feel quite pleased with myself, gently caress that rear end in a top hat and I hope he dies in agony and then suffers for eternity.

He instantly became my most used party member. Dudes who are evil and just kinda love it are always ftw in video games

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

OTOH straight dogmatic choices lead you to off at least 4 potential party members (Jae, Idira, Yrliet, Marazhai would all go for being various levels of xeno or lawbreaking). Really, you should probably :commissar: everyone in your party for doing/being exposed to heretical things.

You can lose Idira with no warning in an Act 2 warp encounter if you just go "gently caress it, vent the deck with the daemons on it, don't care" when you get back to the bridge suddenly you are down a party member.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

pentyne posted:

Likely the outcome of Iconoclast choices is giving people a 2nd chance and having to come back to kill them after they disappoint you and taking a loss of some kind due to not being proactive enough against possible heresy. There's probably some long term benefits but early impressions are dismal.

You take a permanent -5WP debuff to your RT if, Act 1 ending decision Iconoclast choice, you don't blow up the planet and instead save the holy fusion engine.
Do you? I don't think I did. I had two rescue chances though so I saved the commoners and the holy fusion reactor. lol at the nobles

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Nessus posted:

Do you? I don't think I did. I had two rescue chances though so I saved the commoners and the holy fusion reactor. lol at the nobles

If you get knocked out in combat you lose the debuff. You also lose otherwise permanent buffs like the +1 to AP you can get by interrupting the Chaos Space Marine's sermon.

I made the same choices you did.

pentyne posted:

You can lose Idira with no warning in an Act 2 warp encounter if you just go "gently caress it, vent the deck with the daemons on it, don't care" when you get back to the bridge suddenly you are down a party member.

Frankly, she should get blammed there because she actively summoned a daemon. That's the ultimate no-no if you're a psyker trying to not be evil!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Are there any Necrons or Orks in this game? Just wondering at the limit to the enemy variety.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aurubin posted:

Are there any Necrons or Orks in this game? Just wondering at the limit to the enemy variety.

NO

ORKS

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

There's no excuses for the others but you can be dogmatic and recruit Jae. You're forcing her to stop the xeno business and work to receive redemption like you're conscripting her for the Last Chancers.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Dogmatic lets you justify some pretty unmistakable heresy if you phrase it right, like instructing an abominable intelligence in its duty towards the God-Emperor.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Boy that's quite a decision for a 40k game. Was the tabletop mostly all human vs human? Wonder if that informed that choice. Still, weird.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aurubin posted:

Boy that's quite a decision for a 40k game. Was the tabletop mostly all human vs human? Wonder if that informed that choice. Still, weird.
I think the preponderance of the game's factions for army building are human or human-derived (Space Marines, Mechanicus, etc.)

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Aurubin posted:

There are necrons, yeah

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I suspect it's probably more like they felt Orks have been pretty well represented in a lot of the 40k games so they wanted to focus on some of the other stuff a bit? I've not played them all but of the ones I have played, Orks are in them a lot so this having some of the other xenos factions is pretty cool. I've heard (spoiler for a potential faction) genestealers are in it but I'm not sure if that's just genestealers the unit/monster or like, you go to a place infected by a genestealer cult, the latter would be cool as gently caress imo.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm very sad that the only Ork is a skull on your desk.

Haven't run into any Necrons yet as of the start of Act 4.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

I suspect it's probably more like they felt Orks have been pretty well represented in a lot of the 40k games so they wanted to focus on some of the other stuff a bit? I've not played them all but of the ones I have played, Orks are in them a lot so this having some of the other xenos factions is pretty cool. I've heard (spoiler for a potential faction) genestealers are in it but I'm not sure if that's just genestealers the unit/monster or like, you go to a place infected by a genestealer cult, the latter would be cool as gently caress imo.

There's at least one small side mission where you run into the ship of a lost colony that got turned into a genestealer cult, and you've gotta kill some genestealers to escape.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

t3isukone posted:

get back to me when the game is over

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Anybody have luck playing this on a Steam Deck?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

About a third of the way into act 4 and I have to say the most effective bit of storytelling in the entire game is how quickly they make you loving hate all the noble families except for sweet, sweet Abby-don.

Just a bunch of incompetent, disloyal babies screeching bloody murder about your ancestral rights while taking their own as a given. Raging at the one household out of the four that got their appointment on meret.

Seriously, if there was an option to just have them all killed at the expense of like negative 10 complacency on the throne world I would take it in a heartbeat.

The most surprising thing on my ending slides was Saurback being my most loyal subject. Apparently mutual spite and flirting with his traitor wife forged the strongest bond of loyalty between the old gently caress and my trader.

Preechr posted:

There is, that dude is even in your party!

Sadly I'm pretty sure that if you stamp this out early as soon as you get a whiff of it, it actually breaks things further down the line despite the game letting you do it. :owlcat:

Hubbert posted:

Okay, despite all the bitching and complaining I hear online, Act 3 is absolutely my favourite storytelling experience in a video game I've enjoyed.

It's Dead Money but instead of gold, it's actually rumoured to be Eldar survivors thanks to my wacky Harlequin friends.

I really, truly recommend bringing Heinrix and Yrliet ... and recruiting Ulfar because he's Cool, and Marazhai to not only to provide Xenos perspective, but to blow Heinrix the gently caress out of the water regarding Scalander's betrayal of the Inquisition. Holy poo poo.

I never actually got the option to recruit Marazhai, probably because my interactions with him were either scornful mocking or bolter fire.

habeasdorkus posted:

There's at least one small side mission where you run into the ship of a lost colony that got turned into a genestealer cult, and you've gotta kill some genestealers to escape.

The ending slides also mention that one of your worlds falls to genestealers and has to be purged. Not sure if that's preventable or not because bugs. (Both kinds.)

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm very sad that the only Ork is a skull on your desk.

Haven't run into any Necrons yet as of the start of Act 4.

Maybe they got cut? One of the pre-release sample battles was versus Necrons.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

thebardyspoon posted:

If they wanted to focus on others why not Tau? You never see them or their cool robots in these games.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

emSparkly posted:

If they wanted to focus on others why not Tau? You never see them or their cool robots in these games.

well, expect for that one time all the way back in 2003.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

I have that one on ps2 but didn’t play it. The book was good though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

emSparkly posted:

Mostly just that Tau are on the other side of the galaxy.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Tau are on the wrong side of the galaxy.

Having said that, I would kill for a DLC that gives you a crisis battlesuit companion.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Personally I appreciated the focus on Eldar. The WH40k media I've played kinda only ever touches a surface level "haughty space elves" with them, so I kinda like that Rogue Trader went a bit deeper and started digging at what makes them tick.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Apparently there's a forgotten plot hook in one of the RPG source books about there being a stargate kinda thing to the Koronus Expanse in Tau space.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Further Reading posted:

Apparently there's a forgotten plot hook in one of the RPG source books about there being a stargate kinda thing to the Koronus Expanse in Tau space.

That plus a famous missing expansion fleet to allow people to add tau to any campaign they ran no matter where its set.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Further Reading posted:

Yeah you can justify whatever you want in this setting pretty much, it's just a reason you might not have them. Theres reasons to have them too.

Warmachine posted:

Personally I appreciated the focus on Eldar. The WH40k media I've played kinda only ever touches a surface level "haughty space elves" with them, so I kinda like that Rogue Trader went a bit deeper and started digging at what makes them tick.

Theres a small handful of books, most of which are by one author, but most of the time the Eldar just exist to warn people of a big trouble and die, after saving them from the warning they ignored. It's a shame because its the 40k faction that has the biggest mix of weird inspirations and ends up probably the most original of them all.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 19, 2023

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

emSparkly posted:

IIRC for the longest time a non-trivial portion of the WH40K audience would get unreasonably upset at the Tau getting any attention at all. Something about them ruining the setting or something, idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:sigh: Two combats tonight my camera has just gotten "stuck" in place and I cannot move it.