Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

I still think Saleh and Douglas are with the Jets in 2024. I'm just banking on the owner's cheapness and Rodgers' injury being a good enough excuse.

I don't necessarily want them back, but I think the alternatives are even more dire. Hackett round 2 anybody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

I still think Saleh and Douglas are with the Jets in 2024. I'm just banking on the owner's cheapness and Rodgers' injury being a good enough excuse.

I don't necessarily want them back, but I think the alternatives are even more dire. Hackett round 2 anybody?
Woody has had a type since Parcells was hired. First time head coaches, always on the defensive side of the ball. If Saleh gets fired it'll be like Mike Macdonald or Lou Anarumo. Maybe Ejiro Evero but in that situation he'd just keep Hackett as OC since they're BFFs.

Jets legend Aaron Glenn as comedy option.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kirios posted:

Yeah everything I've been reading about the Jets over the last couple of weeks indicates that Saleh is a dead man walking.

So then Johnson lets the Joe Douglas pick another head coach? And if the team flops again in 2024 with Rodgers at QB, he... fires Douglas?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

So then Johnson lets the Joe Douglas pick another head coach? And if the team flops again in 2024 with Rodgers at QB, he... fires Douglas?

If Saleh goes, so does Douglas and vice versa. I have no idea who would be the GM candidates in this situation, but there's no way Douglas gets to pick another HC, nor would an incoming GM expect to keep Saleh.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

wilderthanmild posted:

I thought Pickett was generally viewed as a mid to late first round grade? Like in retrospect he doesn't seem to be worth that, but I don't think it was viewed to be a reach to take him at 20 and they needed a QB.

I think that grade was more “well if you really wanna pick a QB here, he’s the best option I guess” and the Steelers desperately needed a QB. I don’t remember him being widely viewed as an immediate starter or high ceiling guy even on a team with an otherwise ok roster. There was also a lot of “But if this does work, it’ll be really cool” kind of narrative reasons around drafting him too.

I’m not gonna say the Steelers should’ve seen Brock Purdy coming, but they left themselves no option but to talk themselves into a guy who was a second tier prospect at best.

The Steelers are in that lovely spot now where they can’t quite give up on Pickett, but deep down know that he’s probably not the answer. I guess there’s the hope that a full off-season with a real OC could right the ship.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Jets are in a reasonable draft position to draft QB3 in the upcoming draft. Idk if that matters or not. Most coaching regimes don’t get three chances to get a franchise qb.

These loving morons better not get a chance to draft another QB. OT and the next regime gets to pick their QB in 2025.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1736855639106732089?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kirios posted:

Yeah everything I've been reading about the Jets over the last couple of weeks indicates that Saleh is a dead man walking.

What are you reading? The entire beat and NY media is saying he's safe?

Diva Cupcake posted:

Woody has had a type since Parcells was hired. First time head coaches, always on the defensive side of the ball. If Saleh gets fired it'll be like Mike Macdonald or Lou Anarumo. Maybe Ejiro Evero but in that situation he'd just keep Hackett as OC since they're BFFs.

Jets legend Aaron Glenn as comedy option.

Woody didn't hire Parcells...... Leon Hess did. Also, we know for sure Saleh sucks. Bring the next guy, they can't be worse.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

"You can't fire your DC when you're on the cusp of barely making the playoffs! :shuckyes:"

Nov 6, 2002

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

If Saleh goes, so does Douglas and vice versa. I have no idea who would be the GM candidates in this situation, but there's no way Douglas gets to pick another HC, nor would an incoming GM expect to keep Saleh.

Ok, so then an incoming GM has to work with Rodgers and/or deal with taking their cap medicine. Perhaps not the biggest obstacle, but it's going to certainly affect the pool of candidates.

Still seems like the three's fortunes are all tied together.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ok, so then an incoming GM has to work with Rodgers and/or deal with taking their cap medicine. Perhaps not the biggest obstacle, but it's going to certainly affect the pool of candidates.

Still seems like the three's fortunes are all tied together.

The only model that would work for the Jets is what they did in Denver. A HC who knows what the gently caress they are doing with some clout and he gets to hire whoever he wants as GM and in the FO.

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

The only model that would work for the Jets is what they did in Denver. A HC who knows what the gently caress they are doing with some clout and he gets to hire whoever he wants as GM and in the FO.

I know a great candidate who meets all that criteria that will soon be available.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I know a great candidate who meets all that criteria that will soon be available.

I would drive up to boston to get him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blind Pineapple posted:

I think that grade was more “well if you really wanna pick a QB here, he’s the best option I guess” and the Steelers desperately needed a QB. I don’t remember him being widely viewed as an immediate starter or high ceiling guy even on a team with an otherwise ok roster. There was also a lot of “But if this does work, it’ll be really cool” kind of narrative reasons around drafting him too.

I’m not gonna say the Steelers should’ve seen Brock Purdy coming, but they left themselves no option but to talk themselves into a guy who was a second tier prospect at best.

The Steelers are in that lovely spot now where they can’t quite give up on Pickett, but deep down know that he’s probably not the answer. I guess there’s the hope that a full off-season with a real OC could right the ship.

We've seen Brock Purdy in a Steelers-like offense, for 4 years at Iowa State and he sucked!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Woody didn't hire Parcells...... Leon Hess did. Also, we know for sure Saleh sucks. Bring the next guy, they can't be worse.
You're right. Instead of not hiring an experienced coach since Parcells, he's never hired one. Type stands. Prepare for Staten Island native Lou Anarumo.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I would drive up to boston to get him.

You know he'd do it again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sirtommygunn posted:

You know he'd do it again.

You know he despises woody johnson and rightly views the Jets fracnhise as a pathetic joke right?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lmao

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

You know he despises woody johnson and rightly views the Jets fracnhise as a pathetic joke right?

Sounds like a Jets fan!!!

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Are you Bill?????

efb

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Sounds like a Jets fan!!!

Lmao

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Posted about it in the NFCN thread but it's not surprising at all that Barry isn't getting let go until the end of the season. It's pretty widely assumed that his contract is up then and considering none of the position coaches inspire confidence or have playcalling experience keeping Barry in place is likely the best option available.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Are you Bill?????

efb

Unlike Bill, I would take 20 million a year from Woody to run his dogshit team

Nov 6, 2002

Hot Diggity! posted:

Posted about it in the NFCN thread but it's not surprising at all that Barry isn't getting let go until the end of the season. It's pretty widely assumed that his contract is up then and considering none of the position coaches inspire confidence or have playcalling experience keeping Barry in place is likely the best option available.

Packers DC is an eternally hated position.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I really like Mike Tomlin and don't him to go, but it does feel like the first time things just aren't working out in the locker room. Or as someone pointed out above, the managing of the players he's known for is failing somewhere.
I think 1 losing season out of 16 will cause fans to overreact (me included), because we're spoiled sausage people.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
let tomlin come home to tampa, we have rock bottom expectations unlike the filthy PA savages

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

let tomlin come home to tampa, we have rock bottom expectations unlike the filthy PA savages

Bowles having that roster with baker friggin mayfield at QB at .500 deserves to keep that job

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

mcmagic posted:

Bowles having that roster with baker friggin mayfield at QB at .500 deserves to keep that job

I like the way you think.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I mean I don't think Bowles is a good coach but it's hard to argue that he's done a good job this year................

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bucs should fire Bowles and promote the OC

I hope the Bucs win the NFCS. They have some actually good players who can do stuff and Baker is exciting for both teams

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Lord knows nobody else deserves to win that division this year

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I really like Mike Tomlin and don't him to go, but it does feel like the first time things just aren't working out in the locker room. Or as someone pointed out above, the managing of the players he's known for is failing somewhere.
I think 1 losing season out of 16 will cause fans to overreact (me included), because we're spoiled sausage people.

Not a steelers fan but Pickens has to go, he’s a problem and it’s only going to get worse

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

mcmagic posted:

I mean I don't think Bowles is a good coach but it's hard to argue that he's done a good job this year................

he absolutely has not. he's got a charmin soft schedule, minimal major injuries, and most of the losses have come from Bowles defense making GBS threads the bed. the best thing he did was hire Canales. in any other division this team is fighting for 6 wins

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Ron Rivera is a fine person, a mediocre head coach and the biggest drizzled poo poo of a head football operations person I have ever seen.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Is he a decent DC?

Idk why but he does seem just gosh darn lovable. Can’t stay mad at him.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
He seems like a good "culture" add for a team. And by that, I mean you give him an office where his computer doesn't actually work and he has plenty of film to watch and players can come in to talk with him whenever, but he doesn't actually do anything. It's important that he doesn't know the last part.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bucs should fire Bowles and promote the OC

This sounds familiar. :thunk:

How’d it turn out last time?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Relentlessboredomm posted:

he absolutely has not. he's got a charmin soft schedule, minimal major injuries, and most of the losses have come from Bowles defense making GBS threads the bed. the best thing he did was hire Canales. in any other division this team is fighting for 6 wins

It's this. Tomlin would have 9-10 wins with this roster and schedule.

With that said, Bowles just coached his best game as TB HC.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I feel like Bowles is like EXACTLY replacement level. It does look like he's doing less of filling his staff with his buddies than he did with the Jets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

mcmagic posted:

I hope the bucs agree