Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I also set an office chair to the lowest setting to offset that my desk isn't very high and that leaves me with a pretty good position that doesn't strain my back. I get up to wash my brushes a lot as an excuse to stretch and walk around too

Edit: posture snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

I recently tweaked my back and had a hell of a time painting as I was hunched over constantly. I realised that the problem was the chair was too high (I was using a dining chair) I swapped it for a adjustable office chair and set it all the way down and my back is thanking me for it.

I rest my elbows on the table to paint and i adjusted to keep my eyes are level with my hands while still sat upright. It's a little lower than comfortable for eating/writing/typing as the table should be at/slightly below the level of the elbows and my best painting height has my elbows below the level of the table.

I don't disagree at all with what you've said but my point is there are levels of risk. The biggest risk I see hobby wise is 3D printers proliferating everywhere with all sorts of weird and wonderful resins and filaments outgassing all day long. The risks from that are significant as the exposure is constant and unavoidable and would mimic occupational levels of exposure. For the average hobbyist dabbling with oils - even if they licked their cadmium coated brush once a month it'd still take a while to build up to toxic levels and there's every chance they'd get bored long before that happened.

Ultimately with some of these reactions it can really be a crapshoot and the best you can do is to try and avoid exposure. You could handle paint all day long and not have a problem through your working life or you could start painting and pack it up a few months later after you become sensitive to the same paint. Allergy is by definition an abnormal reaction to a substance at otherwise harmless levels of exposure. Heavy metals is a different story as they're dose dependent and will definitely affect you but allergic reactions are more difficult to predict. Suspect your friend with the cheap cosmetics was unlucky unless she literally went for the arsenic and mercury laced stuff.

Unless, like my friend, that person licking cadmium is also using cadmium blush, or cadmium lipstick, we just don't know. It costs us nothing to insist on people being safe, but it could cost someone else dearly if we tell them not to worry. You simply cannot predict someone's behaviour, and should always assume for the worst possible case, never assume the best. My friend wasn't unlucky, she was buying cheap cosmetics and not looking into them, like she was buying them on aliexpress cheap.

I know I'm a giant stick in the mud about this, but I've just seen too many people get hurt in my line of work because no one taught them it was possible. We can create a culture of safety, or we can have some people get hurt. Due to being a hobby, not a job, those people will be few and far between, but that will be little solace to those who get hurt.

I won't argue this further.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Thank you for looking out for our backs and toxicity levels :unsmith:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I got paranoid about pigments but then realized the Vallejo Pigments for weathering are more like ground up pastels than pure pigments so I'm safe.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Can we talk a little bit about posture and table/chair setup for mini painting? I'm starting to think the cheap table I bought is not doing my neck any favors and I should have gone with a standup desk. Do you sit or stand while painting? Are you leaned in heavily or are you able to keep a straight posture throughout the whole process?

You want your work surface to be relatively high, rather than low. The ideal scenario is that your back is as straight as possible. At my previous place, I sat on a footstool at my table because that kept me lower, forced me to work higher up, and therefore my back and neck were actually kept relatively straight, even if I sorta hunched in with my hands directly in my face.

I've got an actual adult chair now, and a standing desk, so whenever I'm painting I just keep my chair in place and crank the desk up high so I'll have good posture.

If you want a good idea of what to look for, find pictures of some watchmakers. They have really elevated workspaces so they're not shriveled up like some sort of detail-oriented shrimp all day long. Also, if you're like me, you'll be instantly covetous of their aprons, which hook into their desks so they never drop a tiny piece on the floor.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

Unless, like my friend, that person licking cadmium is also using cadmium blush, or cadmium lipstick, we just don't know. It costs us nothing to insist on people being safe, but it could cost someone else dearly if we tell them not to worry. You simply cannot predict someone's behaviour, and should always assume for the worst possible case, never assume the best. My friend wasn't unlucky, she was buying cheap cosmetics and not looking into them, like she was buying them on aliexpress cheap.

I know I'm a giant stick in the mud about this, but I've just seen too many people get hurt in my line of work because no one taught them it was possible. We can create a culture of safety, or we can have some people get hurt. Due to being a hobby, not a job, those people will be few and far between, but that will be little solace to those who get hurt.

I won't argue this further.

That's the key point here - your line of work. Occupational risks are significantly greater than hobby risks by virtue of duration and volume of exposure. Hair dye allergy is common amongst hairdressers and while people having their hair dyed also suffer from it, the risk is much lower on an individual level. There's cobalt allergy from bricklayers and builders etc. That's why I go on about the 3D printers - if not set up safely, the user is going to be exposed to much more risk than you would expect from a hobby otherwise.

Short of banning these substances from the consumer altogether (not a terrible idea) I don't think you can achieve that sort of culture as the target population is so heterogenous. In a workplace you it's the responsibility of the employer to educate their staff but how would you achieve it to that degree for a hobby beyond individual interventions? The toxicities should absolutely be labelled clearly and a transition to non-toxic alternatives would be the only feasible solution. You could gate access to the more toxic products behind licensing requirements but that's a degree of government intervention that would never happen in our society.

As an illustration, smoking, drinking and obesityare well documented to be orders of magnitude worse for our health than anything we do in the hobby yet despite extensive public health intervention it is still so prevalent. You bring up the artist who developed a brain tumour from her resin exposure - how many millions of people have died of smoking related disease, heart disease and alcohol related disease?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You're not smoking, drinking and eating or huffing resin fumes as a binary health choice. You're adding resin fumes and heavy metals on top of the other potentially unhealthy behaviours you do. It's entirely possible you do avoid well known threats to your long term health and miss out on some you would rather avoid simply because consumer education on this kind of stuff is extremely lacking.

Yadda yadda yadda post the guy who airbrushed resin for youtube

e: extreme example of this would be I don't smoke or drink so statistically I'm healthier than those people if I run my 3d printer nonstop in the guest room with no ventilation

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Polyester Resin, which Eva Hesse used extensively, is significantly different than the resin used in 3D printing. Eva Hesse also extensively utilized materials she "liberated" from abandoned textile mills, and given the timeframe of when she lived and produced art it is highly likely that she was more adversely impacted by lead exposure than anything else. In fact the brain tumor points to lead exposure, as lead's unique ability to so significantly pass through the blood brain barrier makes exposure to lead a leading cause of brain tumors.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/08/060828211626.htm

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

You're not smoking, drinking and eating or huffing resin fumes as a binary health choice. You're adding resin fumes and heavy metals on top of the other potentially unhealthy behaviours you do. It's entirely possible you do avoid well known threats to your long term health and miss out on some you would rather avoid simply because consumer education on this kind of stuff is extremely lacking.

Yadda yadda yadda post the guy who airbrushed resin for youtube

e: extreme example of this would be I don't smoke or drink so statistically I'm healthier than those people if I run my 3d printer nonstop in the guest room with no ventilation

What I'm saying is, you can have extensively documented risks backed up by decades of public health intervention and people would still do stuff counterproductive to their own health.

I'm not arguing against proper labelling of all the toxic ingredients in our art supplies and not selling them willy-nilly to all an sundry without a warning, all I'm saying is despite your best efforts people are still going to do stupid stuff because it's easier. How many people found it absolutely impossible to wear a mask during Covid because it offended their tender sensibilities.

Irony is if it was something like polyester resin which is incredibly irritating having an immediate case of horrible dermatitis would teach you the benefits of PPE very quickly.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
It's not just my neck or back I'm worried about when I read this thread.

So, I have my paints in my bedroom. They're all Citadel base/layer/wash/contrast paints, which are mostly all safe. I also have plastic glue, green stuff, and plastic putty. All plastic models, no resin. Should I still be worried about air quality? Is it possible to mitigate the smaller particles in the air with an air purifier, or do those not have filters capable of removing all of that stuff?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Afaik plastic glue in the amounts you use on miniatures isn't particularly harmful but it's never a bad idea to live by the adage "if you smell a chemical it's probably bad for you". Opening a window or even just a fan blowing out the door should be enough ventilation for most things.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cardboard Fox posted:

So, I have my paints in my bedroom. They're all Citadel base/layer/wash/contrast paints, which are mostly all safe. I also have plastic glue, green stuff, and plastic putty. All plastic models, no resin. Should I still be worried about air quality? Is it possible to mitigate the smaller particles in the air with an air purifier, or do those not have filters capable of removing all of that stuff?

You're fine. Dont drink the paints, make sure your plastic glue is tightly closed. It'll evaporate otherwise apart from anything else. Its what, 50ml of poly cement, in a whole room? And the plastic is just plastic. Dont eat it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Citadel stuff is entirely non-toxic. So if you wanna be safe just live in the GW ecosystem and try not to drink the paint or munch on the sprues.

A shameful efb

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I appreciate goons warning about safety anytime. Being cautious is important.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

SiKboy posted:

Dont drink the paints

Mods?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
There are sometimes posts where someone talks about licking their brush to get the perfect tip, and I always squint and think "funny, they are obviously joking...."

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SiKboy posted:

Dont drink the paints,

Thin your drinks

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I have actual opinions on which paints taste better or worse than others (after rinsing a brush, I'm not a monster).

But I'm also an idiot

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GW missing out on the novelty shot glass market by not having cups shaped like open paint pots.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Cardboard Fox posted:

An often-overlooked aspect of hobby safety is ensuring you don't give anyone an easy Khia alley-oop like this.

But like others have said, as long as you're not aerosolizing the stuff as with an airbrush, you're good. If you are using an airbrush, vent your workspace while you're working, and maybe dust more often.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

I have actual opinions on which paints taste better or worse than others (after rinsing a brush, I'm not a monster).

But I'm also an idiot

I dunno about which paints taste best but for some reason Agrax Earthshade, Nuln Oil, and Abaddon Black smell amazing

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Got a package from Green Stuff World and tried out their bone Surface Primer:

So using an airbrush it seems to have pooled into the recesses, so I'd need to do another coat of a layer color, is this to be expected? Or can I get a more even coat with either technique adding stuff to the mix?

I'm also going to take apart and clean my airbrush, don't know if it's flowing like it should.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Count Thrashula posted:

But I'm also an idiot

Can't just drop that into a post and not share your favorite and least favorite paint

Also I think my raven guard sergeant is finished!
Messed up the plasma effect, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with him!
Learned a lot of stuff I can bring with me for the rest of the squad, and the jetpack captain; like don't bother trying to do OSL inside the engines, no-one is ever gonna look at them from the bottom up

e: oh, after assembly, there's some huge gaps on top of all the jetpacks- do people just fix this with a tiny amount of greenstuff? If I try to do it with plastic cement, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna ruin the entire thing

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 18, 2023

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Airbrush primers absolutely should not be pooling in recesses.

The vast majority have a self levelling feature to prevent huge disparities in coverage like the above.

Any particular reason why you bought this brand?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Polyester Resin, which Eva Hesse used extensively, is significantly different than the resin used in 3D printing. Eva Hesse also extensively utilized materials she "liberated" from abandoned textile mills, and given the timeframe of when she lived and produced art it is highly likely that she was more adversely impacted by lead exposure than anything else. In fact the brain tumor points to lead exposure, as lead's unique ability to so significantly pass through the blood brain barrier makes exposure to lead a leading cause of brain tumors.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/08/060828211626.htm

Your point about lead exposure causing Eva Hesse's brain tumor just traces back to some post someone made with little real backing, the post literally begins with "according to wikipedia". I've encountered it once before grading a paper. The person making that claim isn't familiar with who she is. Anyone familiar with her knows she lived and worked with her sculptures, which she imperfectly cast, wore little to no PPE, and used windows as ventilation. Some pieces never truly cured, offgassing over years, preservation of her work is a constant struggle due to this. This is all really well documented. That said, her cause of death could never be linked to any one cause, cancer is like that. If her brain tumor was caused by lead poisoning, her autopsy would have shown lead poisoning.

Sorry to single that out, I just had a little grading ptsd moment there.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I got a 3D printed bit done in resin from Shapeways and it came with all this frosting on it, which is really obscuring and covering a lot of detail. Normally I would sand down bits when I got them but it's not possible with this one without ruining it. I've tried to go in with a dull exacto but it doesn't yeild much in the way of positive results. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this kind of weird resin frosting?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I've considered getting an airbrush for priming purposes but it seems like an awful lot of work to maintain it and I guess it's also a health hazard? Although I already wear an elastomeric respirator with P100/organic vapor cartridges when I'm in my project room due to the resin printer, unless I have the vat fully drained and all the resin secured in bottles, so I should already be adequately protected.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cleaning an air brush is pretty simple, it just takes a bit of time, but I think you need some kind of exhaust because you don't want that primer spray floating around and going everywhere inside your work space.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They sell airbrush booths in Amazon for a hundred bucks or so that do the job of sucking up acrylic dust into a filter for you if that's what you're worried about.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Kylaer posted:

I've considered getting an airbrush for priming purposes but it seems like an awful lot of work to maintain it and I guess it's also a health hazard? Although I already wear an elastomeric respirator with P100/organic vapor cartridges when I'm in my project room due to the resin printer, unless I have the vat fully drained and all the resin secured in bottles, so I should already be adequately protected.

Spraying propellant cans is not particularly good for your health

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

Your point about lead exposure causing Eva Hesse's brain tumor just traces back to some post someone made with little real backing, the post literally begins with "according to wikipedia". I've encountered it once before grading a paper. The person making that claim isn't familiar with who she is. Anyone familiar with her knows she lived and worked with her sculptures, which she imperfectly cast, wore little to no PPE, and used windows as ventilation. Some pieces never truly cured, offgassing over years, preservation of her work is a constant struggle due to this. This is all really well documented. That said, her cause of death could never be linked to any one cause, cancer is like that. If her brain tumor was caused by lead poisoning, her autopsy would have shown lead poisoning.

Sorry to single that out, I just had a little grading ptsd moment there.

Well, brain tumors are a pretty specific type of cancer, with relatively few proven causes, mainly genetic predisposition, and direct exposure to ionizing radiation. Out of suspected potential environmental causes, none of which have been definitively proven, lead exposure is the one with highest correlation. If Hesse did have an autopsy, due to the way lead manifests and interacts with the body signs of acute lead poisoning may not be present, and long term low level lead exposure is the type of exposure most likely to cause cancer.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Kylaer posted:

If you're using a P100/VOC filter on a half mask you're already 10x further ahead on personal safety than the vast majority of hobbyists. Does your project room also have direct ventilation to the outdoors?

And yeah, an air spray booth with a filtered fan(preferably venting outdoors ) is plenty for standard hobby acrylics in an airbrush

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
hm i got started on a safety effortpost and it is up to 2000 words already

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
why do i keep making posts instead of models

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Poor choices

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I got a 3D printed bit done in resin from Shapeways and it came with all this frosting on it, which is really obscuring and covering a lot of detail. Normally I would sand down bits when I got them but it's not possible with this one without ruining it. I've tried to go in with a dull exacto but it doesn't yeild much in the way of positive results. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this kind of weird resin frosting?

The model wasn't cleaned properly before curing. The frosting is uncured resin that was sticking to the outside of the model when it came out of the printer. It then cured afterwards.

You can fix this by cleaning the model with alcohol, either isopropyl or methylated spirits. Just put it in and swirl it around for a bit.

If it's just a light frosting that isn't obscuring detail, you can just prime over it, though.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Looks like I'll be joining the penny club soon, decided that a 6mm chaos dwarf army would be a nice palate cleanser between projects. These things are loving teeny.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mederlock posted:

If you're using a P100/VOC filter on a half mask you're already 10x further ahead on personal safety than the vast majority of hobbyists. Does your project room also have direct ventilation to the outdoors?

And yeah, an air spray booth with a filtered fan(preferably venting outdoors ) is plenty for standard hobby acrylics in an airbrush

I remember needing a proper shielded fan if you're spraying flammable paints. How big is the risk from spark igniting the paint vapour?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Z the IVth posted:

I remember needing a proper shielded fan if you're spraying flammable paints. How big is the risk from spark igniting the paint vapour?

For acrylics thinned with water? 0.000% For other thinners and other paints, likely higher than than.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Yeast posted:

Spraying propellant cans is not particularly good for your health

Yeah, that's part of why I've been experimenting with brush priming too. And when I use cans I do it outdoors and wear a respirator. But it's cold and damp outdoors this time of year so that's why I was pondering an airbrush for indoor use.

There's a window in my project room and I usually have it open at least somewhat, although when I'm running the resin printer that can be an issue because it gets cold. I've got the air vent in the room taped off and I put weather stripping around the door so there's little to no detectable resin smell in the hallway.