Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
A fun thing about the Capaldi era is, despite Moffat moving away from convoluted myth arcs, that era features the (accidentally) biggest and craziest self-causation timeloop in the whole show. By the end of it there are three timelines:

1) the First Doctor refused to regenerate and died at the South Pole
2) the Doctor lived 13 lives and died at Trenzalore
3) the Doctor survived Trenzalore

Except it was the Twelfth Doctor from Timeline 3 who went back and ended up convincing the First Doctor to go on, so Timeline 3 created Timeline 2 and then went on to create itself, pulling two entire timelines up by their bootstraps.

Even when he's trying to keep things simple, Moffat fills the margin with doodled headache-inducing time travel shenanigans, is the moral of the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I see 121 new posts got posted so far today, but thankfully Tom Baker is still alive.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I see 121 new posts got posted so far today, but thankfully Tom Baker is still alive.

Don't jinx it. We've all seen the pictures from that article.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Great, you shrank him another 5cm

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I see the name pop up on twitter trends from time to time, get a little panicky, and each time it's just thousands of posts to the effect of "oh thank god he's still alive." But what's causing Tom Baker to trend in the first place? DOCTOR WHO AND THE MYSTERY OF THE ALGORITHM

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Usually it's a picture of Tom with cats

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“This culturally relevant person who flies just under the radar enough that nobody has realized he has to be like, 170 at this point” would make a good story.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/kono_yoshi/status/1735005755521016302

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He did an interview where he said he views the other Doctors with vague contempt recently enough that the clickbait sites will pass it around periodically for awhile, lol.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

For whatever reason, I actually kinda love these photos and don’t really get the same kind of dread others seem to get from them. The man is 88 years old and still has that mischievous twinkle in his eye. I get a genuine sense of satisfaction that Tom’s had such a long life and still clearly feels some joy for the role he’s best known for.

Pertwee, Troughton, and Hartnell all died relatively young, especially the latter two. Tom is nearing 90, which is awesome.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah he looks great for his age and I like that he has the same silhouette even in the hair, just older.

In 30-40 years the thread will come around on his youthfulness in those pics compared to their own.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Of course, I was very, very drunk at the time.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I adore that he has his old Doctor hairstyle back. Having the short curly look he sported in Day of the Doctor always felt kind of weird. Give me a mess of wild hair for the wild alien man who likes jelly babies.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For whatever reason, I actually kinda love these photos and don’t really get the same kind of dread others seem to get from them. The man is 88 years old and still has that mischievous twinkle in his eye. I get a genuine sense of satisfaction that Tom’s had such a long life and still clearly feels some joy for the role he’s best known for.

Pertwee, Troughton, and Hartnell all died relatively young, especially the latter two. Tom is nearing 90, which is awesome.

Troughton and Hartnell both dying at 67 really puts McGann being 64, Capaldi being 65, and how much life expectancy and lifestyle have changed and impact longevity.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Boxturret posted:

When I watched that seson I was kinda not feeling 12 and legitamately hoped they were serious that Clara had been the doctor too the whole time lol. Like a much later version that came to help themselves out.

Yeah that'd be my pitch for the show; a whole season which is secretly a set of multidoctor stories.

Also an episode where the Doctor finds someone in a desolate landscape being pursued across by their worst enemies. It would be called Quarry of the Daleks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, when I first saw the thumbnail my immediate reaction was,"Oh wow, he's aged a huge amount the last few years" but then I opened them and he's still got that "Tom" look in his eyes, like he's in on a joke that the rest of the Universe doesn't know and wouldn't understand if they did.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

A fun thing about the Capaldi era is, despite Moffat moving away from convoluted myth arcs, that era features the (accidentally) biggest and craziest self-causation timeloop in the whole show. By the end of it there are three timelines:

1) the First Doctor refused to regenerate and died at the South Pole
2) the Doctor lived 13 lives and died at Trenzalore
3) the Doctor survived Trenzalore

Except it was the Twelfth Doctor from Timeline 3 who went back and ended up convincing the First Doctor to go on, so Timeline 3 created Timeline 2 and then went on to create itself, pulling two entire timelines up by their bootstraps.

Even when he's trying to keep things simple, Moffat fills the margin with doodled headache-inducing time travel shenanigans, is the moral of the story

Now you see, that's what everybody gets wrong. It's all one timeline.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I love the timeline fuckery from the Pandorica/Big Bang, where Eleven pops out of nowhere to set up the future where everything worked out

That's the kind of time travel bullshit there needs to be more of (and then once it oversaturates the market, we go back to the basics for a fresh start)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love the photos, but I can feel a Tom Baker dropping off the world and I don't like that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Whybird posted:

I want to see that dude with the forehead hatch from Dalek come back as an antagonist. "Human who knows about the existence of time travel and wants to use that information to advance humanity (but will create a nightmare technodystopia future in the process)" is a cool as hell idea.

So, that actually happened in the comics. He comes back, blames the Doctor for his mother's death, kidnaps every companions from 11 and before, and there is a big to do.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m on Runaway Bride. A couple thoughts:

1. They mentioned Narys in The Star Beast. I thought they were going for a Maris-style joke like in Frasier, but I forgot she was actually in The Runaway Bride.

2. Who schedules their wedding on Christmas? Is this a British thing?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

jisforjosh posted:

Troughton and Hartnell both dying at 67 really puts McGann being 64, Capaldi being 65, and how much life expectancy and lifestyle have changed and impact longevity.

Fun fact that highlights this: Tom Cruise is currently older than William Hartnell when he started playing the Doctor.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Detective No. 27 posted:

1. They mentioned Narys in The Star Beast. I thought they were going for a Maris-style joke like in Frasier, but I forgot she was actually in The Runaway Bride.

Doesn't Donna explicitly say she did it because she hates Christmas?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Doesn't Donna explicitly say she did it because she hates Christmas?

I probably missed that line. I know exactly one person who hates Christmas and it’s because it’s his birthday.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I probably missed that line. I know exactly one person who hates Christmas and it’s because it’s his birthday.

It's also my mom's birthday, but she just hates the holiday because her mother and brother died and now she can only think of their absence on Christmas. She used to love the holiday.

Anyway, that bit of trauma needlessly shared aside, anyone else here play the Doctor Who TRPG?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's not even really a line, it's more like a great, big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... stuff.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Would you describe it as a big ball of something-something?

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Doctor says the exact same thing. Well, minus the British part. The strange thing is that at least two people scheduled their wedding for Christmas since the priest has another wedding party arriving.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I let out a hearty guffaw at the continuation of the Narys hate from Runaway Bride in Star Beast.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, Nerys turns up at both of Donna's weddings, it's a good gag.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MikeJF posted:

I said before, but the Master ravaging Gallifrey is at least a decent setup to say 'a bunch of Time Lords hopped in TARDISes to get away and are now floating around the universe'
The big problem with this is that it maintains everything wrong with undoing the resolution to Day of the Doctor and leaves the Master as the irredeemable monster who slaughtered every child on Gallifrey.

The entire thing needs to be a lie The Master told her. It just doesn't work any other way.

PriorMarcus posted:

But why can't they just travel to anywhere else other than New York and get in the Tardis? It's kind of a nonsense conceit, though I'm aware all of this show is a nonsense conceit.
My read on this is that they could have if The Doctor didn't have, and read, the end of that book. At that point the events got locked in and he couldn't interfere in his own timeline to save them.

Bicyclops posted:

That second thing can be fun. Not that anyone paid attention to the lore behind Myst, but the D'Ni (the people who created Linking Books) turn out to be just some offshoot of a much eviler group of people.
This made me happy to encounter outside of the Cavern. And Shorah!

Detective No. 27 posted:

True. Jesus does hate his birthday.

Yes, yes, I know. I'm Pagan. Shush. The joke doesn't work without the conceit.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

My read on this is that they could have if The Doctor didn't have, and read, the end of that book. At that point the events got locked in and he couldn't interfere in his own timeline to save them.
The problem with this - or possibly the opportunity this creates - is that this opens the door to the Master doing stuff like creating fake historical accounts of his schemes working and planting them in the Doctor's way, to convince the Doctor they are fixed points in time and thus preventing the Doctor from attempting to interfere in the first place.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 19, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Warthur posted:

The problem with this - or possibly the opportunity this creates - is that this opens the door to the Master doing stuff like creating fwke historical accounts of his schemes working and planting them in the Doctor's way, to convince the Doctor they are fixed points in time and thus preventing the Doctor from attempting to interfere in the first place.
SOLD!

That'd be super fun!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tangential, but this conversation reminded me of Missy's,"Oh.... how did SHE get in there!?!" reaction to Clara being inside the Dalek shell :lol:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Mail the doctor a letter saying your birthday is a fixed point in time and he has to swing by to close the paradox loop.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Tangential, but this conversation reminded me of Missy's,"Oh.... how did SHE get in there!?!" reaction to Clara being inside the Dalek shell :lol:

Missy in that episode is probably my favorite Michelle Gomez performance. Her dancing to the Daleks shouting exterminate? Chefs kiss.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

LividLiquid posted:

The big problem with this is that it maintains everything wrong with undoing the resolution to Day of the Doctor and leaves the Master as the irredeemable monster who slaughtered every child on Gallifrey.

I guess if you really wanted to you could retcon it to being just the citadel he destroyed?

I always figured that Gallifrey was inhabited by Gallifreyans, and the Citadel was the capital and held most of the Time Lords, the ruling class.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Detective No. 27 posted:

yeah, because you only get one set of presents

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

I always figured that Gallifrey was inhabited by Gallifreyans, and the Citadel was the capital and held most of the Time Lords, the ruling class.

Yeah, I think this is how it works. If you live in the Citadel you're a tinelord and have the genetic priveleges that come with that title, in addition to shelter, education, etc. If you live outside the Citadel then you're a nomad without benefits, a defector like the Doctor, or part of an isolationist religious cult.

I guess particularly prominent Gallifreyians also have palatial estates that exist outside the Citadel, but that's it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I think this is how it works. If you live in the Citadel you're a tinelord and have the genetic priveleges that come with that title, in addition to shelter, education, etc. If you live outside the Citadel then you're a nomad without benefits, a defector like the Doctor, or part of an isolationist religious cult.

I guess particularly prominent Gallifreyians also have palatial estates that exist outside the Citadel, but that's it.

I think there's other cities on Gallifrey, like Arcadia, but they seem to be identical to our cities, a mix of the poor and the none Time Lord high class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I've not re watched any new who, so this question is resulting from my poor memory. Why does the Doctor in the recent specials refer to Donna as "his best friend ever". They only had one season together