Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Don’t military types get a payment per deployment? SG teams could be cashing in everytime they leave world.

I imagine that Teal’c won the cowboy outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

well why not posted:

Don’t military types get a payment per deployment? SG teams could be cashing in everytime they leave world.

There's no special payment, but your pay can be tax-free if you're in certain designated areas. I don't know if what they're doing really counts as deployment, though, most of the time it seems like they're only out for a few days at most, which I think would be considered TDY. That brings up the question of how you get the travel accounting system to recognize P3X-420 as a valid duty location, not to mention trying to list the mode of travel as "government operated wormhole".

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

There's no special payment, but your pay can be tax-free if you're in certain designated areas. I don't know if what they're doing really counts as deployment, though, most of the time it seems like they're only out for a few days at most, which I think would be considered TDY. That brings up the question of how you get the travel accounting system to recognize P3X-420 as a valid duty location, not to mention trying to list the mode of travel as "government operated wormhole".

Jack's been trapped off world for several months at least, on seperate occasions. Is he getting paid double time when he's hanging out with his local sweetheart?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If Daniel’s a contractor I hope he cashed the fat one year overtime on return from Abydos.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also time travel/time loops would really gently caress with most accounting software.

"Okay so you Started your deployment on 12/11/2007 and ended it on the 08/10/2007 and six months were spent in France 04/06/1923-05/09/1923.... ummm okay, so the computer wants to class that as backpay as it's for a time period before this financial year, and oh that's a whole bunch of errors right there... um. so yeah I'm just going to have a meeting with Hammond and we'll I dunno figure something out I guess."

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Was Tealcs hair in Gamekeeper real?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They don't pay taxes because the IRS travel allowance is per mile.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

I forgot about Nerims incel rear end Sam voiced Alexa. So creepy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Leandros posted:

I forgot about Nerims incel rear end Sam voiced Alexa. So creepy

He's so naive he doesn't even realize it. "Oh, would you like me to turn that off?"

Dumb rear end innocent Nerim.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Christopher Judge (Teal'C) voices Kratos :O

itry
Aug 23, 2019

credburn posted:

Christopher Judge (Teal'C) voices Kratos :O

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Seeing the COD devs eating poo poo for being butt hurt about his Game Awards comments has been great.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Also time travel/time loops would really gently caress with most accounting software.

"Okay so you Started your deployment on 12/11/2007 and ended it on the 08/10/2007 and six months were spent in France 04/06/1923-05/09/1923.... ummm okay, so the computer wants to class that as backpay as it's for a time period before this financial year, and oh that's a whole bunch of errors right there... um. so yeah I'm just going to have a meeting with Hammond and we'll I dunno figure something out I guess."

What's this now? You were active duty in 1969??

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

well why not posted:

Jackson was an outsider archeologist theorist and somehow had that cool inner city apartment, despite being missing for a year+ on abydos.

Do we learn anything about Daniel's family background in the financial sense? Nick was, apparently, gallivanting on archeological digs as a youngster, and Daniel's parents in Gamekeeper are perpetually crushed while they're trying to set up a swanky museum exhibit (or something). This sounds like old money to me. Nick even has a weird accent, it could be Nazi gold for all we know. And it was established in 1969 that Catherine definitely was old money, she started talking foreign in front of "the help" like the worst poo poo-lib having brunch.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

He's got "Downtown Colorado Springs" energy

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I could see Daniel's family not so much being 'rich', but just 'worldly' thanks to academic grants and research and moving around a lot for their work. Outside appearances might make them look like they're doing well, but in reality they're relatively low-paid.

I'd reckon there wasn't a LOT of money if there was any at all. I'd assume if there were large amounts of money to Daniel's family it could have been easily used by the grandfather to just provide for Daniel's care by boarding schools and caretakers with little personal oversight on his part if he didn't want the distraction rather than let Daniel fall into foster care.

In two alternative timelines, maybe three (?), Daniel seems to be doing fairly poorly professionally and financially without having the Stargate job. If there was any family wealth, Daniel either squandered it, spent it all on his education, or lost it through other means.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

JediTalentAgent posted:

In two alternative timelines, maybe three (?), Daniel seems to be doing fairly poorly professionally and financially without having the Stargate job. If there was any family wealth, Daniel either squandered it, spent it all on his education, or lost it through other means.

For the most part before the stargate programme he's basically a conspiracy theorist

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Taear posted:

For the most part before the stargate programme he's basically a conspiracy theorist

Season 9 Daniel??

Rollin

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

redshirt posted:

Season 9 Daniel??

Rollin

He's all about ancient aliens and the alternative versions of him that didn't sign up everyone just laughs at so he doesn't get any grants or etc
The lady who becomes Osiris has a big lol at him about it, kinda

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

JediTalentAgent posted:

I mean, Grandfather (Great Uncle?) Jackson was also a crazy conspiracy nut, so who knows

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Daniel Jackson: It says, "A traveler from distant stars escaped from a dying world, looking for a way to extend his own life. His body decaying and weak, he couldn't prevent his own demise." Apparently his whole species was becoming extinct. So he traveled or searched the galaxies, looking for a way to cheat death. Look here: "He came to a world rich with life, where he encountered a primitive race." Humans, heh. A species which with all his powers and knowledge he'd maintain indefinitely. He realized, within a human body, he had a chance for a new life. Now, apparently he found a young boy. It says, "As the frightened villagers ran, night became day. Curious and without fear, he walked towards the light." Ra took him and possessed his body, like some kind of a... parasite looking for a host. Inhabiting this human form, he appointed himself ruler. He used the Stargate to bring thousands of people here to this planet as workers... for the mines. (...) Now, something happened back on Earth. A rebellion or uprising and the Stargate was buried there. Fearful of a rebellion here, Ra outlawed reading and writing. He didn't want the people to remember the truth...

Joe Rogan: wow, that's incredible

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*makes hand motions to the north and south

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Taear posted:

He's still considered one in every timeline, it's just that in some of them he discovers that he's right.

Except for the ones where disclosure happens, like the first Aschen episode.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Remember Jonas's hot Goa'uld girlfriend?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

Remember Jonas's hot Goa'uld girlfriend?

Are you kidding, who could forget that pixie cut :3:

edit: the goa'uld, not jonas

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Are you kidding, who could forget that pixie cut :3:

edit: the goa'uld, not jonas

Jonas got the same haircut as her! It was real love!

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6uENZV0ShA&t=677s

This might be of interest in this thread. Should be at the correct timestamp. Brad Wright interviews RDA via skype..or zoom or whatever those geriatrics are using.

(just to set expectations, it's literally two old dudes talking about dogs)

Splorange fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 19, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Imagine being one of the few Navy Admirals with knowledge of the Stargate program....

The Air Force is running Earth's space ships!!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Splorange posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6uENZV0ShA&t=677s

This might be of interest in this thread. Should be at the correct timestamp. Brad Wright interviews RDA via skype..or zoom or whatever those geriatrics are using.

(just to set expectations, it's literally two old dudes talking about dogs)

I feel like RDA looks absolutely ancient, like he's the same age as my dad but looks 10 years older
Being a colonel proper ages you

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Taear posted:

I feel like RDA looks absolutely ancient, like he's the same age as my dad but looks 10 years older
Being a colonel proper ages you

I love RDA as a person so much. He went through a "phase" but got out of it. He looks great today.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
RDA has been a cool dude on TV since...the late 70s? god drat that's 40 years when he retired

Not one scandal, Canada obviously turns Americans into good people

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He looks pretty good for 73. Crucially, he seems happy and content, so big thumbs up from me.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jack's Baby Mama on PX3-337 (DO NOT DIAL)

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

God the Michael stuff in Atlantis is SO badly realised.
One of the groups they met is just dead and it was his fault and from that episode on he's become super strong and done a load of stupid poo poo that involves Teyla having a baby. I get that the baby was something that was Really Happening and I hope they had less stupid storylines planned before that happened

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Heroes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Freakin' Tok'ra

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
lol the thread made it seem like pete is a one episode thing and now carter is marrying her. also rip tealcs sweet apartment. i was so excited for him when he talked about getting to live off base finally. I know the nid got some asgard stuff but im
pretty sure they didnt have asgard beam tech when jack busted them so im looking foward to where this is going with this splinter of the nid with asgard beam tech and a wierd ancient text they need translated to gou'ld im guessing anubis isnt
as frozen as we thought or baal somehow got a bunch of anubis's tech.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

snergle posted:

lol the thread made it seem like pete is a one episode thing and now carter is marrying her. also rip tealcs sweet apartment. i was so excited for him when he talked about getting to live off base finally.

Yeah but he's a cop, just wait for it....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

lol the thread made it seem like pete is a one episode thing and now carter is marrying her. also rip tealcs sweet apartment. i was so excited for him when he talked about getting to live off base finally. I know the nid got some asgard stuff but im
pretty sure they didnt have asgard beam tech when jack busted them so im looking foward to where this is going with this splinter of the nid with asgard beam tech and a wierd ancient text they need translated to gou'ld im guessing anubis isnt
as frozen as we thought or baal somehow got a bunch of anubis's tech.

RIP Teal'c's adult life off base...