Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

literally all of them but mick foley are republicans
isn't Kevin Nash a Democrat or some flavor of that type?

mannerup fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I don't think CM Punk is a chud.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

John Yossarian posted:

I don't think CM Punk is a chud.

CM Punk is, however, a dumb rear end in a top hat

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Mick Foley and I think Batista are not chuds. It's safe to assume every other pro wrestler is a chud until confirmed otherwise.

Batista's mom is a lesbian so he's super pro LGBTQ and generally just a cool guy.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

mannerup posted:

isn't Kevin Nash a centrist Democrat or some flavor of that type?

kevin nash is a democrat

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 17, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i dont consider batista in the same category as mick foley for one thing batista hasnt been dropped on his head as much

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
imo the thing that is telling about batista and nash is that both got into wrestling for the money and not out of any love for the business so they can be considered smart wrestlers especially nash who went out of his way to wrestle as little as possible while getting as much money as possible

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
jessa venture is also very leftist and tried to start a wrestlers union after joining the screen actors guild and realizing unions were pretty good but then hulk hogan screwed him over before he could get the wrestlers union off the ground

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's come up that old wrestlers literally complain that young wrestlers just work out and play video games in the locker room rather than get in fights for ridiculous reasons

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's come up that old wrestlers literally complain that young wrestlers just work out and play video games in the locker room rather than get in fights for ridiculous reasons

BACK IN MY DAY THE STEINER BROTHERS BEAT THE poo poo OUT OF YOU AND SHOVED A PENCIL IN YOUR rear end in a top hat AND YOU LIKED IT

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

John Yossarian posted:

It sounds like some wrestlers, like Ric Flair, are still stuck in kayfabe. There's something kinda pathetic about that.
anybody whose wreslting character hated hulk hogan in the 80's died 20-40 years later still challenging him to matches

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

imo the thing that is telling about batista and nash is that both got into wrestling for the money and not out of any love for the business so they can be considered smart wrestlers especially nash who went out of his way to wrestle as little as possible while getting as much money as possible
I recall reading that about Nash and found it respectable, a guy who knew how much the business gave a poo poo about him so he milked it for what it was worth without giving an ounce extra.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

mannerup posted:

I recall reading that about Nash and found it respectable, a guy who knew how much the business gave a poo poo about him so he milked it for what it was worth without giving an ounce extra.

If he had just been selfish that would be one thing, his terrible booking and shoving himself and his friend into the main even in WCW helped kill the company

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I also don't like Vince Russo. He sounds like an idiot.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

If he had just been selfish that would be one thing, his terrible booking and shoving himself and his friend into the main even in WCW helped kill the company
thanks for pointing this out, didn't realize he was that powerful backstage during his tenure of WCW (and was one of the elements that brought it down).

John Yossarian posted:

lmao I don't think I have ever heard a positive story about Russo, its just been people making GBS threads on him or Cornette threatening to murder him and his family

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I also can't wait till Vince McMahon dies and all these stories will come flooding out. Right now I don't think anyone will talk poo poo about him because they're scared of being blacklisted.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

mannerup posted:

lmao I don't think I have ever heard a positive story about Russo, its just been people making GBS threads on him or Cornette threatening to murder him and his family

The Nitro book about the history of WCW did a really good job of making Russo seem incredibly sympathetic leaving WWF for WCW, but that was about it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

John Yossarian posted:

you think to yourself russo cant possibly be that stupid then you hear him talk in an interview and you realize he's even stupider than the stories said he was lol

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

jessa venture is also very leftist and tried to start a wrestlers union after joining the screen actors guild and realizing unions were pretty good but then hulk hogan screwed him over before he could get the wrestlers union off the ground
posted earlier about wrestlers being 'independent contractors' during the 80s and 90s earlier and it is a shame that Ventura wasn't a Senator because we were deprived of Congressional hearings on this topic

https://411mania.com/wrestling/jesse-ventura-on-why-he-gave-up-on-a-wwe-union-hogan-selling-him-out-more/ posted:

“Vince is lucky I didn’t go for the Senate because had I’d gone into the Senate, I would have started a senatorial investigation as to why pro wrestlers are called ‘independent contractors’ when they’re not. You work for one company. They order you around, control your whole life. How are you possibly an independent contractor? Except, they don’t have to pay your social security. That’s why. And so Vince is lucky that I never got to the Senate because I would have investigated that because, to me, look at the thousands of dollars it [has] cost all of us wrestlers to have to pay 15% or whatever it is as an independent contractor on our taxes.

That’s a bee that has been under my saddle since I began wrestling. I thought, ‘we are not independent contractors – we can’t work for another promotion on Wednesday and work for you on Friday. It don’t work that way. How are we independent contractors?'”

"It was WrestleMania 2. Two weeks before it, all the publicity had gone out. The advantage was ours. See, Jesse Ventura studies business. The advantage was ours. I stood, I waited, so there weren’t agents around. I stood up in the dressing room and I gave a speech to the boys and this was at the time we were still battling Charlotte [North Carolina – Jim Crockett Promotions], and I said, ‘if we go together and simply tell the media we are not wrestling unless union negotiators by federal law come in and give us the opportunity to unionize.’ And I said, ‘guys, the people that turn on the lights in these buildings are union.’ I said, ‘they have to do it by law. It’s in our favor. Then, if we engage the Charlotte guys to do the same thing, we can have a union in wrestling.’

I gave this big speech, I left it at there, I went home. The next night, I got a phone call from Vince who basically threatened to fire me if I ever brought it up again and read me the riot act. And I then did WrestleMania 2 and immediately left and did Predator and was a member of the Screen Actors Guild now, my union that I get retirement from now, healthcare from, all of that from. And so, when I came back, I told Vince pointblank, ‘Vince, I won’t ever bring up union again.’ And I said, ‘if these guys are too stupid to fight for their rights, I have my union now. I’m a member of the Screen Actors Guild. I get healthcare, I get retirement, I get everything from them. I’ll pay my union dues.”

“When I sued Vince, we had to depose him. On the way out, I told my lawyer the story and in deposition, you can bring up anything. And I said, ‘if you can, David [Olsen], find out who ratted me [out].’ I said, ‘find out who ratted me [out] that day because it was one of the boys because there were no agents there. And so, when we got in there Vince, and my attorney was great. He said, ‘Mr. McMahon,’ he said, ‘has there ever been a union in wrestling?’ Vince [replies], ‘no.’ [The lawyer asks] ‘Anyone ever try to form one?’ Vince sat a minute, he says, ‘well, yeah, as a matter of fact, Jesse Ventura spouted his mouth off about it once years ago.’ And my attorney goes, ‘well, how do you know that? Did you hear him? No? Well, how did you know he spouted his mouth off?’ He didn’t even hesitate. ‘Hulk Hogan told me’…It was like someone punched me in the face. This was my friend and I thought, ‘Hogan betrayed me? Hogan called Vince and ratted me [out], was an office stooge?’

In my day, that’s what they were called. That was a lowlife, somebody who reports to the office in the old days.
And it stunned me, stunned me. I sat there in the chair and I couldn’t even think that it was Hogan. And then Vince admitted it on Larry King too. And there’s no reason for him to lie. He’s under sworn oath. And then, Hogan continued to lie about it and say he didn’t do it and I’ve never spoken to him since and I don’t care to because in my opinion, Hogan sold me out. Then I found out in the trial why. Well, in the trial, we got the [financial] records of WrestleMania 3, the big one, him and Andre [The Giant], well, Hogan made more money than all of us combined, including Andre.

If you took the payoffs of Andre and the whole rest of the card, Hogan made more than we did. So, naturally, he didn’t want a union.
That could even out the money a little bit more and I saw that he made more than Andre and all of us combined, then, the picture was crystal clear to me, that he sold us out because he was getting taken care of and he didn’t want nobody else horning in on the good deal he had.”

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

mannerup posted:

thanks for pointing this out, didn't realize he was that powerful backstage during his tenure of WCW (and was one of the elements that brought it down).

was it Russo who got tna kicked off tv temporarily? like the network had a clause in the contract that if Russo was found to be working there the contract would over, and then he accidentally went out an email from a tna account or something?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

AlmightyBob posted:

was it Russo who got tna kicked off tv temporarily? like the network had a clause in the contract that if Russo was found to be working there the contract would over, and then he accidentally went out an email from a tna account or something?

it was and the company was TNA lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it wasnt a tna account either russo himself accidentally emailed a wrestling journalist notes he wrote for tna's announcers who reported it and spike tv found out and kicked TNA off the network who had already told TNA to not hire Russo again because he was brand poison

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 17, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it wasnt a tna account either russo himself accidentally emailed a wrestling journalist notes he wrote for tna's announcers who reported it and spike tv found out and kicked TNA off the network who had already told TNA to not hire Russo again because he was brand poison

lol wrestling promoters are just as smart as the C-suite of contract drug manufacturing plants

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dixie carter may very well be the dumbest person to have ever been in charge of a wrestling promotion which is no small feat because there are a lot of stupid people involved in wrestling

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
she almost sold TNA to a pair of neo nazis lol

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

she almost sold TNA to a pair of neo nazis lol

Ah yes, the Harris twins. I completely forgot they were involved for a bit. There's a story about them in ECW showing off their neo nazi tattoos to the owner Paul Heyman, who is Jewish and his mother was a holocaust survivor.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dixie carter may very well be the dumbest person to have ever been in charge of a wrestling promotion which is no small feat because there are a lot of stupid people involved in wrestling

A trailblazer in the field, she's one in a million

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

mannerup posted:

I find it hard to really blame Nash for all of that because he must have noticed that he was given the keys to an insane asylum that was on fire. There were very few ways to right that ship and even fewer people willing to cooperate on them; Kevin Nash was basically standing in front of a huge bonfire with a cup of water and had the choice between trying to put out the fire and having a drink while staying warm.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Remember that time before Hogan came in when she had a meeting with the whole roster where she told them they all better listen to her and follow her orders or else they'd be gone? And remember how TNA thought it would be a good idea to show video of this meeting on their own show? Well, at least Impact learned after many years and actually deleted the video from Youtube, but the internet never forgets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-90oQncIL6M

And then the next time she was in an angle it was because Hogan and Bischoff stole the company from her in storyline and Sting was doing everything to get the company back to Dixie, even though for once in TNA's long miserable existance, things were actually somewhat improving.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I find it hard to really blame Nash for all of that because he must have noticed that he was given the keys to an insane asylum that was on fire. There were very few ways to right that ship and even fewer people willing to cooperate on them; Kevin Nash was basically standing in front of a huge bonfire with a cup of water and had the choice between trying to put out the fire and having a drink while staying warm.

yes and no. He was a booker during some of the highest highs in terms of ticket sales and ppv buys. He did not only come to influence in 2000 or whatever when things were already declining rapidly. As a high profile example, Nash and his friends are why all of the "vanilla midgets" - Chris Jericho, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, Eddie Guerrero, he who shall not be named, etc all moved from WCW to WWF. All them at some point were very popular, and 3 of them became world champions. Nash was in close with Hogan and they subsequently had the ear of Bischoff. There is a reason of all people to end Goldberg's streak, it was Nash.

I do not blame him for looking out for #1 in a business that does that all the time, but he took it to new levels and actively drove guys out of the company that could have indeed helped right the ship, all while protecting Hogan and his other friends from any consequences.

Edit: btw the book The Rise and Fall of WCW is a great read. it is hilarious how incompetently the company was run nearly for its entire existence, with a 5 year span of luck and accidental good decisions giving it a moment in the sun.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 18, 2023

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best

Is this real? They actually put this on TV?
That's insane

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Edit: btw the book The Rise and Fall of WCW is a great read. it is hilarious how incompetently the company was run nearly for its entire existence, with a 5 year span of luck and accidental good decisions giving it a moment in the sun.

Is this the one?
https://www.amazon.ca/NITRO-Incredible-Inevitable-Collapse-Turners/dp/0692139176

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Llyr posted:

That's insane

The prevailing theory for why TNA kept having money pumped into it is that Dixie's father viewed it as a toy to keep his idiot daughter occupied and away from his fossil fuel business.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I misspoke

https://www.amazon.com/Death-WCW-R-D-Reynolds/dp/1770411763

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Llyr posted:

That's insane

For as bad as Vince is (and he's really bad), he at least knows that if he's going to air a speech like that he should call himself "Mr McMahon" and do it as a heel promo.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Llyr posted:

That's insane

its real lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dixie carter hired all of the people on the cover of The Death of WCW at the same time and they did the same thing they did to WCW only faster and stupider

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Regrettable posted:

Ah yes, the Harris twins. I completely forgot they were involved for a bit. There's a story about them in ECW showing off their neo nazi tattoos to the owner Paul Heyman, who is Jewish and his mother was a holocaust survivor.

:stare: holy poo poo

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

if it helps at all, iirc it cost the Harrises their jobs on the spot, and their CVs have been increasingly shabby and barren ever since

Raven has a story about being shown those same tats and encouraging them to go show Heyman their new body art :evilbuddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dixie carter hired all of the people on the cover of The Death of WCW at the same time and they did the same thing they did to WCW only faster and stupider

And yet TNA still exists and puts on normal TV programs. I don’t even think their talent worry if checks are going to clear any more.