Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Probably a dumb question but I'm assuming the holy land puts out a lot of standing rib roasts this week or do I have to order something over the phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Tim Whatley posted:

Probably a dumb question but I'm assuming the holy land puts out a lot of standing rib roasts this week or do I have to order something over the phone?

My church had a bunch last weekend already when I was there.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Probably not the first to mention it, but the carnival barker salespeople that are now crowding every corner of my Costco are making me think twice about re-upping membership for the first time in years. I have always gotten swarmed by salespeople in the tech section, for the last few years at aisle intersections throughout the store for people trying to sell me water subscriptions or Traeger grills, and now they also have two douchebags stationed on the way to the exit trying to get people to buy home renovations or insurance or something. If it weren't for the pharmacy bringing me there monthly I'd probably cut my membership just for how annoyed I get having to weave around, dodge, or push off these jackwagons. Absolutely tanked my appreciation of the place.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My costco had the Lego City Set, MSRP of $140 for $70. Also the Wellie Wisher dolls, normally like $99 were $40. Kids are getting a good Christmas this year, thanks to these deals.

Some Lego Dreamzzz sets were also listed on a steep discount, but they were already gone.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Probably not the first to mention it, but the carnival barker salespeople that are now crowding every corner of my Costco are making me think twice about re-upping membership for the first time in years. I have always gotten swarmed by salespeople in the tech section, for the last few years at aisle intersections throughout the store for people trying to sell me water subscriptions or Traeger grills, and now they also have two douchebags stationed on the way to the exit trying to get people to buy home renovations or insurance or something. If it weren't for the pharmacy bringing me there monthly I'd probably cut my membership just for how annoyed I get having to weave around, dodge, or push off these jackwagons. Absolutely tanked my appreciation of the place.

Wear headphones and ignore them

Or don't wear headphones and still ignore them

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Johnny Truant posted:

Right, it's not an insurmountable problem. But it's an annoyance that stands out for a store whose business philosophy is ostensibly to make being in their store as not-a-pain-in-the-rear end as possible to move large amounts of products. Another way to ignore them is to shop somewhere else where they don't bother you constantly with these salespeople, which becomes a more attractive strategy every time I am in the store.

Just sucks to see Costco self-enshittifying this way.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It's weird. They sometimes have those guys here at my Costco in Canada, but I don't remember any of them saying anything unless approached for years. Maybe ten years ago one asked me if I wanted to try a smoothie from whatever blender he was hawking.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

3 ez words

"Already got one"

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

large hands posted:

It's weird. They sometimes have those guys here at my Costco in Canada, but I don't remember any of them saying anything unless approached for years. Maybe ten years ago one asked me if I wanted to try a smoothie from whatever blender he was hawking.

God that would be nice. Ours alternate between yelling a sales pitch to nobody and zeroing in on passersby to grab any second of attention they can to run their game. It's a gauntlet of annoying interactions.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Slotducks posted:

3 ez words

"Already got one"

lol, doesn't work "You love it right? How about buying one for a family member? A friend? A coworker? Get another one for yourself, hold on - let me tell you about the new [blah blah blah]", forever.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, they've never been that aggressive at my warehouse.

Just "hey, you interested in x?"
"Nah"
"ok"

Actually, now that I think about it the person near the exit never even approaches anyone. They just hang out there in case someone wants whatever it is they're selling

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 18, 2023

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, they've never been that aggressive at my warehouse.

Just "hey, you interested in x?"
"Nah"
"ok"

Actually, now that I think about it the person near the exit never even approaches anyone. They just hang out there in case someone wants whatever it is they're selling

The ones at my store are annoying as hell, there's no way the store management doesn't see or hear them accosting every customer in the store so I assume the management is approving the behavior.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The only aggressive ones I’ve encountered are for Sunrun; all the others just have a thousand-mile stare as they are ignored by the masses.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I wish I had bought more Costco stock, because it's up $100 in the last month

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The Le Chic Patissier Chocolate Covered Caramel Cookies are literally the greatest thing ever.

Sure, they are just Twix in cookie form, but the point stands.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Serious_Cyclone posted:

The ones at my store are annoying as hell, there's no way the store management doesn't see or hear them accosting every customer in the store so I assume the management is approving the behavior.

have you filed a complaint with Costco either at your local store/online? that's what i'd rec if your salespeople are actually bothering you

this is an already solved and easy problem though so if it's a dealbreaker for you idk what to tell you :shrug:

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Johnny Truant posted:

this is an already solved and easy problem though

:dafuq:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Right, it's not an insurmountable problem. But it's an annoyance that stands out for a store whose business philosophy is ostensibly to make being in their store as not-a-pain-in-the-rear end as possible to move large amounts of products. Another way to ignore them is to shop somewhere else where they don't bother you constantly with these salespeople, which becomes a more attractive strategy every time I am in the store.

Just sucks to see Costco self-enshittifying this way.

At mine it's been the mobile kiosk guys practically standing in the middle of the aisle. It's to the point where I just route around via appliances instead.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Right, it's not an insurmountable problem.

Johnny Truant posted:

again, if they're still actively harassing you then that's definitely into Contact Costco Territory, but like i said earlier

Johnny Truant posted:

if it's a dealbreaker for you idk what to tell you :shrug:

if it's a big enough annoyance that you're willing to cancel your membership then idk what to tell you. that's an overreaction to a very minor irritation at maximum imo, but you're not me so :shrug:

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

What a strange reaction

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

SamDabbers posted:

I got an email AND a phone call from Costco about a food recall for some Quaker oat granola that's potentially contaminated with salmonella. My family already ate more than 3/4 of the package :(

So this was weird. My wife got the email and phone call from Costco about this recall, which is strange because neither her phone number or email is listed on our account. I'm the account holder and I didn't get anything. And even beyond that, we haven't bought any of the recalled items from Costco.

We did buy one of the recalled items from Target, but nothing from Costco. I went back through a year's worth of receipts and didn't see anything that would match :confused:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Your wife has a secret Costco membership I'm sorry you had to find out this way

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Sales Bullying Real Hahahaha Memba Just Walk Away From The Dude Like Memba Don't Look Em In The Eyes Haha

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
The sales people won't be going anywhere. Those companies pay Costco a ton of money to let them harass members. If 50 people canceled their memberships because of them, it would probably still be a net positive financially for Costco.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
The Bibigo Beef Pho dumplings are fire

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Rufio posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Sales Bullying Real Hahahaha Memba Just Walk Away From The Dude Like Memba Don't Look Em In The Eyes Haha

Pro strat is to look them dead in the eyes as they start their sales pitch and immediately say “No.” in a flat affect, break eye contact, and keep walking. They usually don’t even finish their sentence

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Serious_Cyclone posted:

whose business philosophy is ostensibly to make being in their store as not-a-pain-in-the-rear end as possible

this is not remotely a goal of costco though. see: refusing to update any tech, constantly moving products around in the store to get people to "treasure hunt," cracking down on membership sharing with a million card checks and yelling at people about it, making people wait in lines just to exit the store, and those people soliciting you that you hate

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
All the random kiosk hawkers are dumb and out of place but it's really easy to just smile and say no thanks and keep walking. I understand having different tolerances for dealing with this but I can't ever see extending my displeasure for a small inconvience to canceling my membership.

I don't think I've ever once been actively solicited in my Costco though, or if so it was so forgettable that it may as well have never happened.

Related, charity muggers are back on the streets of my city in force and I hate it. I thought COVID did away with that garbage.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
You can literally just ignore them and keep walking, no props needed

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
You can just ignore the sellers and annoying folks. As for the people blocking aisles waiting on samples? you can plow through them too, if you have conviction and enough speed

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
The secret is to walk around looking like a dangerously overstimulated autist. None of the barkers will bother you and people will just dive out of your way.

I have mastered this secret technique, and can teach the willing

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Tato posted:

You can just ignore the sellers and annoying folks. As for the people blocking aisles waiting on samples? you can plow through them too, if you have conviction and enough speed

Pro-tip: mass up the cart with a bunch of cases of booze/water first, aisle blockers will crumple way easier.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I say excuse me at a normal volume, wait a beat, say excuse me much louder, wait a beat then bump carts and roll with whatever happens

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

sock it to me! posted:

The secret is to walk around looking like a dangerously overstimulated autist. None of the barkers will bother you and people will just dive out of your way.

I have mastered this secret technique, and can teach the willing

I wear a fake hunchback and stumble around like I-Gor, looking at people cross-eyed and squealing with delight whenever they make eye contact

now the costco lines part like the red sea for me

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I strap dead Costco outside vendors to my cart to warn off any living ones

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^^^^^^ fake edit but also lol

Rufio posted:

Lmfao this made me snort

But yeah, this, unironically

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Crusty Nutsack posted:

this is not remotely a goal of costco though. see: refusing to update any tech,

I'm curious what Costco employees think on this one as I beleive the last time it came up was their program is good and efficient and likely any replacement is going to suck because that's how life works.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I strap dead Costco outside vendors to my cart to warn off any living ones

Also effective in clearing sample table blockades

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Jingleheimer posted:

The sales people won't be going anywhere. Those companies pay Costco a ton of money to let them harass members. If 50 people canceled their memberships because of them, it would probably still be a net positive financially for Costco.

Yeah, this is part of the reason why I don't see "just contact the management!" as some kind of solution. This is a business decision they're making. And it's their decision to make, but for a store that has up to now driven most of its retail decisions on making being in the store as painless as possible to make their bag on memberships, it's an unfortunate thing to see happen, and will no doubt just get worse over time.

Costco has the only pharmacy in the area that isn't either completely incompetent or outright fraudulent, which puts me in the store on a regular basis. I believe you can use the pharmacy without a membership but I assume it requires you to negotiate with the door cop every time you enter to explain your situation, which accomplishes little more than adding yet another unwanted interaction to the gauntlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

At Sam's club the vendors just sit at their little kiosk and leave you alone and there's no one at the exit but the receipt checker :twisted: