Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Pretty late. Its a stand alone novella, but it does take place in the 'future' as far as reading order is concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Yeah to get the full effect I'd try to read it after all mistborn, stormlight archive, and elantris

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Okay, I guess I'll blast out some of the novellas then. This is my current progress

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Nitrousoxide posted:

Okay, I guess I'll blast out some of the novellas then. This is my current progress

Yeah you still have quite a bit to go before you start knocking out the secret project books, imo. I read all of era 2 before Tress and felt it added some fun mystery to the cosmere. I also firmly believe saving the secret projects for your last cosmere books for now is best.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
People say the best (safest) way to read the Cosmere is by publication but that is a pretty scattered experience especially for big worldbuilding that takes a lot to keep track of like SA.

IMHO this is how I would tackle it for someone starting from scratch:

Emperor's Soul (for an amuse-bouche)

Mistborn Era 1

Warbreaker

Stormlight Archive (and novellas)

Mistborn Era 2

Elantris

Arcanum Unbounded (skip Allomancer Jak)

Secret Projects

Some people will say that you should read SA through book 3 and then Mistborn Era 2 (and possibly Arcanum Unbound) before Book 4 of SA and I can see those arguments but I don't think it makes that big of a difference.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I want to talk about two general Cosmere concepts - Investiture and Cognitive Shadows.

Thanks to an RL friend of mine, I know that -----Vasher----- is going to make an appearance in the Stormlight Archives (this spoiler didn't bother me, honestly got me excited), but it got me thinking about the nature of some mechanics in the Cosmere.

(Full Cosmere mechanical spoilers, but mostly just focusing on the Warbreaker and Mistborn worlds).
This is mainly going to be me asking a lot of questions.

The Returned are considered Cognitive Shadows, am I correct?
Is Kelsier considered a Returned? Or are Returned a special breed of Cognitive Shadow?
Is Breath Investiture "tuned" to Nalthians or can anyone use it?
Would a Scadrian just "burn" Breath?
What would happen to a Nalthian who chugged a bottle of unkeyed investiture?
Nightblood - Could a Scadrian use Nightblood? How would he operate on someone without Breath?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nobody can talk about most of that without stormlight/secret projects spoilers and, for the ones where it's not spoilers, it's mostly RAFOs from brandon

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mordiceius posted:

I want to talk about two general Cosmere concepts - Investiture and Cognitive Shadows.

Thanks to an RL friend of mine, I know that -----Vasher----- is going to make an appearance in the Stormlight Archives (this spoiler didn't bother me, honestly got me excited), but it got me thinking about the nature of some mechanics in the Cosmere.

(Full Cosmere mechanical spoilers, but mostly just focusing on the Warbreaker and Mistborn worlds).

Is Kelsier considered a Returned? Or are Returned a special breed of Cognitive Shadow?
Nightblood - Could a Scadrian use Nightblood? How would he operate on someone without Breath?

This is a great line of thinking, and you will continue to get clues to the answers throughout the remaining Sanderson books. Stormlight 4, especially, is a huge fuckin' lore dump in this regard. So is the last book in Mistborn's Era2.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ConfusedUs posted:

This is a great line of thinking, and you will continue to get clues to the answers throughout the remaining Sanderson books. Stormlight 4, especially, is a huge fuckin' lore dump in this regard. So is the last book in Mistborn's Era2.

Yeah, stuff from The Last Metal had got me wondering that.

Very cool to know that Rhythm of War gets into that more. I've seen a lot of people around here lament that RoW is just "science lecture - the book" and, honestly, that makes me loving excited. Give me the Roshar TED Talk.

Speaking of Stormlight - I'm kinda conflicted on these interludes. I almost wish that the interludes from each book would be released separately as just a "Stories from Roshar" kinda thing so that it wouldn't grind the pacing of my audiobook to a halt for 2+ hours. At the same time, some of them (especially in TWoK), happen chronologically along side the events of the book, so that would make it more difficult.

Another another Stormlight thought - where in Roshar would all of you want to live?

As of where I am in the story (20% through RoW), I would either choose the Purelake or the Reshi Isles.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

I can answer these two questions, since it's a matter of definition that Brandon clarified around the time WoR came out. You can read this is you want, it's not a big spoiler or anything, but it does answer your question.

You're correct, Returned are Cognitive Shadows. But Returned are simply one kind of Cognitive Shadows, namely those Nalthians that get revived with their one divine breath. But there are many kinds of Cognitive Shadows. Kelsier is very definitely not a Returned, but he is a Cognitive Shadow.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
"Wind and Truth" announced as the 5th Stormlight Archive title

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1736810885883343094

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Much better name than what he previously went with.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 18, 2023

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I know Brandon wanted the first letters of the book titles to form a ketek but "The Knights of Wind and Truth" felt clunky besides the obvious problems of the sounds not working right either, it seems like he decided to simplify it and give up on that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Infinitely better title. "Knights of Wind and Truth" was so clunky. Bad mouthfeel.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

DarkHorse posted:

I know Brandon wanted the first letters of the book titles to form a ketek but "The Knights of Wind and Truth" felt clunky besides the obvious problems of the sounds not working right either, it seems like he decided to simplify it and give up on that.

True symmetry is arrogance.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, so is there only one book coming out in 2024 and right at the end? They will give me time to catch up a bit. Took a break from Stormlight to read Mistborn Era 2 which was pretty quick. Need to pick up Rhythm of War next then maybe the secret projects or Elantris.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

smackfu posted:

Wow, so is there only one book coming out in 2024 and right at the end? They will give me time to catch up a bit. Took a break from Stormlight to read Mistborn Era 2 which was pretty quick. Need to pick up Rhythm of War next then maybe the secret projects or Elantris.

Isn't the novella titled Horneater supposed to be out next year too?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Do the:
Sel System Essay
Scadrial System Essay
Threnodite System Essay

in Arcanum Unbounded reveal any deep truths of the magic systems that would normally have been dramatic reveals in the novels? Should I avoid those until I'm done with narratives?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do the:
Sel System Essay
Scadrial System Essay
Threnodite System Essay

in Arcanum Unbounded reveal any deep truths of the magic systems that would normally have been dramatic reveals in the novels? Should I avoid those until I'm done with narratives?

They'll give you a bit more understanding of the universe as a whole and a bit of the magic system, but still won't tell you all that much. They'll also give you some clues as to who is writing them, which is fun.

For what it's worth, I read ALL of the system essays about where you are now in reading order, though I had read White Sand and some of Era 2. If you read White Sand next I don't see any reason for you to withhold any of the system essays, as it stands you might as well read all of the others, as this is about when they were released.

I have found myself going back to them every so often and understanding more of what they're saying, but they're like 2 pages each so don't let lack of context scare you.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 18, 2023

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Much better name than what he previously went with.

I think I saw a comment by him saying that he probably wasn't going with Knights of Wind and Truth but to any fan bothered by the pack of Ketek they could unofficially call it that. I'm happier with the final title as well

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Rhythm of War Part 2 (Chapter 20-43 & Part 2 Interludes)

Super fun to see Sazed again, and even hinting at doing some of the stuff we see in Era 2 (searching out Wax as his sword to both protect and kill?) and then the barrier that I think Autonomy is responsible for. I really wasn't expecting Sazed to be the one to namedrop four new (to me) Shards. This is the first I think I've heard of Invention, Whimsy, Mercy, and Valor. I now know 15 out of the 16 original Shards. I'm looking forward to seeing if I can spot any of them in the standalone Secret Project books.

Lot of fun with Shallan and Adolin's party. Ialai's notes pointing at Thaidakar being a world hopper is finally some progress there. I'll be happy if we uncover both Thaidakar and Restares in this book. I'm honestly tired of them being mentioned between 0 and 2 times per book.

The guys from Tukar attacking Notum was extremely not cool, I'm wondering if Tazim/Ishi wanted them to prevent another honorspren from deciding to go bond someone? I really thought that Adolin bringing him to Lasting Integrity would show he had honor, but the honorspren there really aren't interested in it. Adolin was definitely smart to stand only in defense of himself, and I think Maya's impending emergence that I am still confident will happen will help his case.

Shallan definitely had a less fun time with the mystery of who was contacting Mraize. When even Shallan thought that Beryl was too obvious, I figured it was Formless making contact, but then it was Pattern. I have issues with this. I do wonder if Formless told Pattern to do this, but if Pattern is acting on his own: What the gently caress dude? Why are you going behind Shallan's back like this? My other issue is that Shallan is looking for a spy among her ranks because a) someone killed Ialai and b) Ialai got intel by intercepting something from Mraize's spy. Am I supposed to believe that Pattern killed Ialai? I think this is technically possible as spren can manipulate very light things as shown by Syl bringing Kaladin some Blackbane leaves. However, knowing when other people are around is one of Pattern's talents. How did Ialai's operative get the drop on Pattern? I honestly think Mraize has another spy in the ranks, and Pattern just got caught because he's talking to Mraize for ???? reasons.

I've spent this whole part of the book going "OK, Sja-anat and Venli are independently going to go rogue against the Fused in their invasion of the Tower. OK, this is a good time.. no? OK, how about now? OK y'all can't wait forever, it's gonna be too late at some point..." I do understand the hesitation though. Raboniel would absolutely wreck Venli's poo poo, and Odium would shatter Sja-anat if he had to. I really want Rlain to meet up with Venli since they're actually the last two listeners. And maybe Yunfah decides he's cool in all this.

And the invasion wasn't a complete success. There are at least two (2) Radiants running around not in comas (three really, with Venli). Navani made contact with the Sibling, who I think even more she'll end up bonding with at some point. I think long term those four garnets that suppress things will get busted and both Radiants and singers will be able to do cool surgebindings all over the place, because after all Odium is the enemy, not the individuals fighting each other. Though some of the Fused are definitely also the enemy, but not all of them, I think. Leshwi seems fairly chill.

I'm not sure why Kaladin is OK when basically all the other Radiants aren't. He seems close to the Fourth Ideal, so the added Investiture might be helping? I'm not sure how close Lift is though, though I wonder if her Connection to Cultivation is helping her? Kaladin always talked about the Nightwatcher as if it was something other people had done, but not himself. I wonder if maybe Cultivation sought him out at some point, and he's got something going on there? He's always going on about how he's cursed to survive to continue fighting. I would love to see Kaladin and Lift reach the Fourth Ideal, put on some Shardplate, and wreck some poo poo, but there absolutely has to be more than the two of them fighting back against an invasion on this scale.

Speaking of Kaladin, I'm totally sick of Liren's pacifist bullshit. "Noooo Kaladin they're not gonna kill the Radiants, they're just gonna make sure they never wake up" listen to yourself you little poo poo. gently caress off with bending over backwards for whatever brand of tyrants, be they Alethi or Fused, just so you can feel good about saving a few people. Coward.

gently caress Moash, that's honestly all I've got to say about his interlude. "I have to be right and he has to be wrong". You're wrong, :qq: motherfucker.

Lift has an Aviar! I'm not sure how much the coloring matters, but this one is different from the ones I've seen so I'm not sure if that means it'll have some new ability, or if it can hide her "mind" and possibly also surges?

gently caress off Taravangian thinking you can get some kind of redemption here. Oh you've realized that Odium isn't all knowing and all powerful so you're gonna use the shadow Renarin casts to do what? Tell Dalinar that Odium fears Nightblood? OK. You do that. It certainly doesn't undo handing the Tower to the Fused, but it'll be a fun development to read.

I do want to see Dalinar yeet himself about with that powerglove thing though.

Progress so far:

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

:allears:

pik_d posted:

Rhythm of War Part 2 (Chapter 20-43 & Part 2 Interludes)

Speaking of Kaladin, I'm totally sick of Liren's pacifist bullshit. "Noooo Kaladin they're not gonna kill the Radiants, they're just gonna make sure they never wake up" listen to yourself you little poo poo. gently caress off with bending over backwards for whatever brand of tyrants, be they Alethi or Fused, just so you can feel good about saving a few people. Coward.

:five:

quote:

gently caress Moash, that's honestly all I've got to say about his interlude. "I have to be right and he has to be wrong". You're wrong, :qq: motherfucker.

Yeah, all my homies hate Moash.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This:

Is really all that can be said. Especially to some of the juicier bits you posted. You will be really surprised by some of the upcoming developments!

Those four names getting dropped were new to everybody. Just one missing, as you noticed.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
"Lirien is an obnoxious, borderline-abusive prick" and "gently caress Moash" are both pretty broadly held opinions.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

"Lirien is an obnoxious, borderline-abusive prick" and "gently caress Moash" are both pretty broadly held opinions.

Both characters and their perspectives are not something I'm sure Brandon is a skilled enough writer (in this regard) to make sympathetic or at least interesting. At no point does either have to be proven to be a little right or anything, I just wish they weren't completely boring wooden cutouts.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Moash getting mind controlled by odium offscreen in the timeskip between books was a major misstep

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Moash is bae

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

full cosmere spoiler reponse to part of this:

Cognitive Shadows are annoying as hell and make the world less interesting. Anyone who dies for a second becomes a magical ghost (unlelss they dont really die because they were busy talking to god) and their original mind goes to the beyond. Brandon is inconsistent about whether this is an in universe theory or his authorial theory. Please just let there be more magical things in the world that don't fit into insanely small categories.

It's unclear about Breath being tuned to Nalthians, unless there are quotes from brandon (i didnt search). Others have used Breath in the series, but they might have done something to fake a connection to Nalthis or a Nalthian Identity. However, Breath wouldn't be burned, it's already a non-condensed form of static investiture. Scadrians can burn non-invested metals and in so doing are provided with investiture from the Spiritual Real, burn invested metal (metalminds) and get multiplied investiture, or burn investiture that has been condensed into a god metal and get Something Dramatic (ie, burning Lerasium or the sadly-retconned Atium)

writing that out makes me consider that it might be possible to store breath in a metalmind and burn it, if its unkeyed. effects unclear.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brandon has said that it is a debate in universe and he isn't canonizing it.

But since the main in universe source is opinionated about it that's baising the oou discussion

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Slanderer posted:

Both characters and their perspectives are not something I'm sure Brandon is a skilled enough writer (in this regard) to make sympathetic or at least interesting. At no point does either have to be proven to be a little right or anything, I just wish they weren't completely boring wooden cutouts.
I think his writing is failing Lirien, but not Moash. The latter is, I think, supposed to be just a completely wretched hate-sink, he's performing his intended function. He's "Kaladin, but if Kal made every single decision wrong". That's what he's there for, this eternal foil of personifying all the ways Kal could have hosed up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We still don't know what compounding copper does, and I'm still mad about it!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

I think his writing is failing Lirien, but not Moash. The latter is, I think, supposed to be just a completely wretched hate-sink, he's performing his intended function. He's "Kaladin, but if Kal made every single decision wrong". That's what he's there for, this eternal foil of personifying all the ways Kal could have hosed up.

Hey now killing Elhokar was the single most effective politcal act taken in the history of Roshar, and got exactly the results Moash wanted

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Do we know what compounding the other metals does? I know at least one gets mentioned in Mistborn Era 2, but I can’t remember any others.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Torrannor posted:

It's like holding ctrl+scrollwheel to make all the text bigger on wikipedia. Repeated compounding and Savanthood lets you bold and italicize the text

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Half of Dracula posted:

It's like holding ctrl+scrollwheel to make all the text bigger on wikipedia. Repeated compounding and Savanthood lets you bold and italicize the text

Copper allomancy is all about obscuring, so clearly you convert everything to Wingdings

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
It’s easy to hate on Lirin, Kal’s dad because he lives in a violent world but he’s a strict and consistent pacifist, which the world needs more of.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Hating Skyler White moment

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Huh, a final surprise ebook from the secret project campaign was just released.

mewse
May 2, 2006

rafikki posted:

Huh, a final surprise ebook from the secret project campaign was just released.

What the..

e: it's a short story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, it's probably the book that was included with the Sanderson box.