Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

OTOH straight dogmatic choices lead you to off at least 4 potential party members (Jae, Idira, Yrliet, Marazhai would all go for being various levels of xeno or lawbreaking). Really, you should probably :commissar: everyone in your party for doing/being exposed to heretical things.

Rogue Traders are allowed to deal with aliens and heathens and Heinrix is exaggerating the extent to which Imperial law can be applied to the Lords and Ladies von Valancius or their retinues. The entire game takes place outside the Imperium so as long as you don't go as far as outright treason Imperial law enforcement can go gently caress itself.

Now on the other hand the inquisition is theoretically subject to no oversight and recognizes very few limits on its authority, but Heinrix isn't an inquisitor and his boss is far away.

The Warrant of Trade is essentially a piece of paper that says "I can do whatever I want*" *outside the Imperium. However an inquisitor's rosette grants similar privileges in addition to the right to requisition any of the Emperor's servants' aid and succor. You can see why Heinrix is too big for his britches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

So I've seen a lot of talk about how the back half of the game is hosed. I've played through the prologue and A1 and really enjoyed myself - is it worth pushing ahead, or should I just shelve things for a while until the game has some more patches under its belt? How long has it taken Owlcat to fix its poo poo, historically?

I got lucky with WOTR and didn't hit too many bugs that derailed the story, which is what I really care about (I'm not too fussed about broken skills, etc.) - but I'm seeing a lot of chatter about broken quest flags, etc.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Clerical Terrors posted:

IIRC for the longest time a non-trivial portion of the WH40K audience would get unreasonably upset at the Tau getting any attention at all. Something about them ruining the setting or something, idk.

Because god forbid some people in the galaxy know how to actually use computers and mop their floors.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

VanillaGorilla posted:

So I've seen a lot of talk about how the back half of the game is hosed. I've played through the prologue and A1 and really enjoyed myself - is it worth pushing ahead, or should I just shelve things for a while until the game has some more patches under its belt? How long has it taken Owlcat to fix its poo poo, historically?

I got lucky with WOTR and didn't hit too many bugs that derailed the story, which is what I really care about (I'm not too fussed about broken skills, etc.) - but I'm seeing a lot of chatter about broken quest flags, etc.

Theres a new patch planned to come out thursday/friday that tackles a lot of the chapter 4/5 issues, so if you're not beelining the game it should be ready by the time you get there.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Rogue Traders are allowed to deal with aliens and heathens and Heinrix is exaggerating the extent to which Imperial law can be applied to the Lords and Ladies von Valancius or their retinues. The entire game takes place outside the Imperium so as long as you don't go as far as outright treason Imperial law enforcement can go gently caress itself.

Now on the other hand the inquisition is theoretically subject to no oversight and recognizes very few limits on its authority, but Heinrix isn't an inquisitor and his boss is far away.

The Warrant of Trade is essentially a piece of paper that says "I can do whatever I want*" *outside the Imperium. However an inquisitor's rosette grants similar privileges in addition to the right to requisition any of the Emperor's servants' aid and succor. You can see why Heinrix is too big for his britches.

Yeah, the impression I got was that the Inquisition vs the Rogue Trader is a bit of a game of chicken to see exactly who wants to test the extent of their reach. Though my understanding is that the Inquisition usually wins these types of pissing matches if only by the fact that the Inquisition has a lot more experience and in-place assets for unpersoning the Rogue Trader with at least a fabrication of a just cause than the other way around.

In short, the Inquisitor probably had an assassin within arms reach of the Rogue Trader before the Rogue Trader even knew the Inquisitor was in the area.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

emSparkly posted:

Because god forbid some people in the galaxy know how to actually use computers and mop their floors.

It's more that they were like 3 planets and a stool and all the horrific nonsense mouth loving every inch of reality just...doesn't touch them. Like one good Chaos Grand Cruiser and the entire Tau Empire would fall. And that just...doesn't happen. Why? To have anime mech suits. Which is all entirely true.

It's just that the sane response to that is "Ok, let people have their mech suit faction.". And not "I hope a Hive finds them and the entire species gets mpreg'ed.". Just let people buy their little toy mech suits and play pew pew laser men, Jesus Christ.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I just started playing and got through the prologue and first area in the next section. I love that now I can't fly more than 5 feet without someone bothering me and I have to round up my entire crew to go squash a slave rebellion or some poo poo.

This is peak rogue trader right here.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

while I'm full team wolf awooooo now, how they released with him having so many issues is beyond me. Not being able to see where his 4x4 will end up with movement abilities, his charge regularly sending him off to the far corner because it's trying to place him where he can't fit, his charge attack using his bolt pistol not his melee weapon, not being able to directly target destructible cover to clear his way except by grenades or area attacks (plasma the best), not being able to just coolaid man through lovely cover, ladders completely blocking him in combat, he can't even jump down. Also having so little equipment choices.

He's actually good with an officer buddy to cuddle up to him and give him faux heroic action extra turns, especially an officer turned master tactician. It's fun watching him go full :black101: and tear through an encounter.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tabletop deathwatch I think manages a decent look at human interaction with tau. The human experience in tau territory is dystopian, but it's a different variety of dystopia than the Imperium. You're more heavily surveilled but less heavily policed, have the rights of a second-class citizen but have rights, are more likely to be sterilized but less likely to die a violent death.

Tau drive Imperial commanders crazy because they're somewhat successful at getting normal humans to defect, which from the Imperial world view is as bad as falling to chaos. The idea that normal humans are willing to infiltrate Imperial institutions and spy or sabotage or even die on behalf of an atheist alien state is hard for the Imperial command structure to accept let alone understand.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Clerical Terrors posted:

IIRC for the longest time a non-trivial portion of the WH40K audience would get unreasonably upset at the Tau getting any attention at all. Something about them ruining the setting or something, idk.

As in all other things, it's because 40K fans largely don't understand the inspiration behind any given faction. A bunch of people who think uncritically about the setting think of the Tau as the "good guys." The Tau:

*Have a ruling class that controls their subordinates through psychic powers.

*Subordinate other races within their sphere of influence via mind control technology and predatory trade agreements.

*Chemically castrate races in their sphere of influence.

*Basically are space Imperial Britain circa the East India company.

40K fans are largely an older community. Tau became a thing in the mid aughts, but a ton of people are still resistant to them being an established part of the setting somehow.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
People disliked Tau because whatever their rough edges they were far and away the least morally objectionable faction in the game with their humor being puzzled and out of their depth regarding the rest of the galaxy and a bunch of nerds cried and screamed because them functioning despite all that takes the fig leaf of "justified" theocratic fascism away from the Imperium, and also because their rules were potently cheesy for a few editions, and also because they won't fight in melee.

So they double down on the Ethereal ruling caste of the Tau being the prophets from Halo and mind controlling and deceiving the population for their own benefit and some other edgy poo poo, but the most prominent faction of the them is the breakway society called the Farsight enclaves that have left Ethereal control and fight in melee and are generally the most moral faction, to the point where Farsight himself has a lifestealing deamon sword that makes him immortal and was corrupted by Khorne himself and it barely smudged his mellow.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 19, 2023

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

As in all other things, it's because 40K fans largely don't understand the inspiration behind any given faction. A bunch of people who think uncritically about the setting think of the Tau as the "good guys." The Tau:

*Have a ruling class that controls their subordinates through psychic powers.

*Subordinate other races within their sphere of influence via mind control technology and predatory trade agreements.

*Chemically castrate races in their sphere of influence.

*Basically are space Imperial Britain circa the East India company.

40K fans are largely an older community. Tau became a thing in the mid aughts, but a ton of people are still resistant to them being an established part of the setting somehow.

Tau came out in the 3rd edition of 10, its kinda wild to think about.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

For anyone who hasn't, and has even a passing interest in the race, I'd very much recommend tracking down and reading Farseer. Written by William King, who you might better know as the author of the original Gotrek & Felix novels.

Back cover summary:

quote:

Rogue Trader Janus Darke is a desperate man. Once rich and famous, a string of bad luck has brought him to the brink of ruin. Dreaming of past glories, lost in despair, the last thing he wants is to accept a commission from two mysterious strangers – a voyage to the Eye of Terror, the dark heart of the galaxy. But Janus finds himself in more danger than he could have ever imagined, as he is pulled into the middle of a deadly power struggle between the Eldar and their ancient enemy, a daemon prince of Slaanesh.

The most annoying thing about the story is that it very much seems like it was supposed to be the first book in multiple, but nothing else ever released. But it's strong enough on its own and definitely nails Eldar.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A rogue trader's best insurance against the inquisition placing an assassin in their quarters or seizing their assets is simply not to go back to the Imperium. The arm of the inquisition is long but the odds of some upstart inquisitor or obscure cabal getting someone to go on a years-long quest into wilderness space to kill a fantastically powerful warrior aristocrat of unknown whereabouts? They aren't great. You'd have to really piss off the inquisition for them to track you down in the heathen stars.

Chorda and Winterscale essentially operate their own client kingdoms in the expanse and never go back through the Maw. This is the warrant system working as intended but of course it irks people like inquisitors and lord judges and who are used to having total authority.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 19, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ended game first run at 57 hours. End slides were def bugged and contradictory (Argenta hadnt found the planet she was seeking in the slides when she 100% had in reality) and lmfao a loving GENESTEALER CULT wiped out Dargonis somehow? I must have totally missed a quest hook there.

Pasqal also was bugged quest-wise and couldnt proceed, nor could Yrilet.

EDIT: I cheated the last two voidship fights, as apparently there are known bugs there? Their lead ship was hitting for 145 damage a salvo lol

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 19, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dawn of War 2's Last Stand mode is one of the best 40k games - it's a 3-player wave survival mode where each player controls one hero unit (with per-unit metaprogression between matches) and it had a Tau hero as DLC that owned.

That mode proves that if you just mishmash all this 40k stuff together with no regard for lore constraints people love it. It was so popular it got a standalone release, one new hero DLC, and 6 other DLCs that just added new wargear for existing characters. 40k needs more faction mashup games :colbert: I'm pretty sure it's still fairly active (well, ~100-ish average players) 12+ years after release.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 19, 2023

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Dandywalken posted:

Ended game first run at 57 hours. End slides were def bugged and contradictory (Argenta hadnt found the planet she was seeking in the slides when she 100% had in reality) and lmfao a loving GENESTEALER CULT wiped out Dargonis somehow? I must have totally missed a quest hook there.

Pasqal also was bugged quest-wise and couldnt proceed, nor could Yrilet.

Did you do the Dargonis colony build to the end? Genestealer Cult gathering and rising up was part of the colony storyline as you upgrade your colony.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Issaries posted:

Did you do the Dargonis colony build to the end? Genestealer Cult gathering and rising up was part of the colony storyline as you upgrade your colony.

Yep filled up all slots, but never saw a popup regarding that. The prison planet too I never really got to the bottom of, just constant hints that "something" in the mines was causing the rebellions. Foulstone went ok though, and Janus had contradictory slides but I choose "Farseer you worked with shows up last minute, tells Aeldari to wave-off their attack and spare Janus" to be the intended ending since that fits the events before.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

There's at least one small side mission where you run into the ship of a lost colony that got turned into a genestealer cult, and you've gotta kill some genestealers to escape.

Taking Heinrix with you on that is great. Closest I've seen to him freaking out.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Magni posted:

Taking Heinrix with you on that is great. Closest I've seen to him freaking out.

Was disappointed that you didn't exterminatus the site from orbit afterwards, as that's the only way to be sure.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Was disappointed that you didn't exterminatus the site from orbit afterwards, as that's the only way to be sure.

I was extremely surprised about this. Like why am I not bombarding this into a desolate moonscape after getting past the Alien segment?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I don't know a lot about Tau lorewise but I looked at a picture of them on Google just now and they look like very cute robots. So I can imagine that people who think Warhammer is serious would hate them and people who think Warhammer is funny probably like them.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Pasqual is one angry nerd lmao. Brutal.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

I don't know a lot about Tau lorewise but I looked at a picture of them on Google just now and they look like very cute robots. So I can imagine that people who think Warhammer is serious would hate them and people who think Warhammer is funny probably like them.

I'm a grumpy old man and they were introduced when I was a preteen. Somehow 40K fans are still so old that they act like This is a recent development.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
In the grand scheme of thing they are like 3 years newer than the Necrons, and ain't nobody bitching about the-this is I lie I know it's a lie, there were people saying "They are just Tomb Kings but science fiction, what is this bullshit?" even back then.

e: Literally everything has been hated at one point or another. "gently caress these Ultramarines in the new Space Hulk, it's supposed to be Blood Angels!".

Mulva fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 19, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Clerical Terrors posted:

god that brand of 40k fan sucked insane rear end

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Tau came out in the 3rd edition of 10, its kinda wild to think about.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
People hate the Tau because they are ripping off '90s anime rather than '80s American action movies.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There are still plenty of people who complain that GW decided to finally make the Necrons interesting (mostly by literally making them Tomb Kings lol). Never doubt a Warhammer grog's ability to complain

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Eifert Posting posted:

People hate the Tau because they are ripping off '90s anime rather than '80s American action movies.

yeah guys screaming about anime is the biggest complaint I remember about the tau

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

yeah guys screaming about anime is the biggest complaint I remember about the tau

That, and the already litigated "these guys aren't grimdark enough."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm glad I'm repeatedly restarting so Owlcat has time to fix act 4 and 5

I just had Idira gently caress me over twice in a row so I'm seriously thinking about rolling a Psyker Operative and just Toyboxing myself in Psy Rating 1 and never using her again

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
I stopped using Idira after the second time she exploded first thing on turn 1 while putting down her dodge buff AoE, and the resulting demon casually strolled up and downed another teammate. Maybe that was just a bug, Heinrix never had these issues, but either way I decided I wasn't going to roll the dice on it anymore.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
People really overselling how many ties Inquisitor's have to Imperial Assassins

the Assassin Temples are run by an organization called the Officio Assassinorum which is completely distinct from the Inquisition and while they theoretically have less political power than the Inquisition their ability to just deploy Assassin's at will makes them even more dangerous, especially given that Assassins can and will wipe out entire Space Marine chapters, the Officio Assassinorum did attempt a coup of the Imperial government at one point and almost got away with it but turns out there are more Space Marines than Assassins and they didn't take too kindly to the attempt, now they're officially only supposed to deploy Assassins with approval of the High Lords of Terra but given that the Officio Assassinorum Grandmaster IS a High Lord of Terra and the Officio Assassinorum operates at an even higher level of secrecy than the Inquisition effective oversight is an issue. There is technically an entire Ordo of the Inquisition dedicated to overseeing the Officio Assassinorum but its an open question whether its effective at all

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Clerical Terrors posted:

I stopped using Idira after the second time she exploded first thing on turn 1 while putting down her dodge buff AoE, and the resulting demon casually strolled up and downed another teammate. Maybe that was just a bug, Heinrix never had these issues, but either way I decided I wasn't going to roll the dice on it anymore.

It's not a bug. Idira is something like 95% more likely to trigger perils of the warp than a sanctioned psyker

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

AnEdgelord posted:

All of what you said is entirely correct, but I read the discussion about assassins to be about normal hitters, not "Eversor on lease from the Officio Assassinorum." Like, the Inquisition having moles in various planetary governments is pretty common.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

Probably because for a while the main place to field them on tabletop was in the inquisition armies.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sound like a bunch of gits to me, tbqh

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

habeasdorkus posted:

All of what you said is entirely correct, but I read the discussion about assassins to be about normal hitters, not "Eversor on lease from the Officio Assassinorum." Like, the Inquisition having moles in various planetary governments is pretty common.

Oh yeah that definitely happens, also don't get me wrong even as a Rogue Trader its entirely possible for the High Lords to get pissed enough at you to send a Vindicare Assassin to reenact the ending scene of Wanted on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sharkopath posted:

Mostly just that Tau are on the other side of the galaxy.

There's a wormhole that the Ordos Chronos keeps coming into existence to prevent anyone from exploring that connects directly to where the Tau are currently fighting a bitter war with the Imperium in the Koronus Expanse. It also enables legitimate time travel which obviously horrifies everyone sensible.