Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone who buys a crpg at release should expect it to be messy especially as you get further in the game. This has been going on for thirty years back to when they had to mail you patches.

My little steam graph is probably more diverse than it has ever been due to an obsession with fifa before EA anticheat broke me just trying to play it in single player:

goty the first time in my life I've ever gotten all the achievements for a game:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

lol you can tell when I had to* move (may into june), followed directly by Final Fantasy XVI being released.

* gently caress my old landlord.

LOL They've got me dead to rights.

Also, Spell Disk is loving amazing, play it! There's even a free demo!

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 19, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve been curious about Hunt, but I’m not a very good fps player and don’t want to be a liability to the team. Maybe I’ll watch some videos and see what I think.

I’ve heard that cheating is rampant and basically unopposed by Crytek, too, but I guess not so much that you two aren’t having fun!

I have close to 1k hours in hunt and don't think it has a widespread cheating problem. I suspect there's soft cheats like screen magnifiers, crosshairs and workarounds for the now-banned reshade, but I've still never reported anyone because I've never seen anything I'd consider irrefutable hacks, even if I've raised an eyebrow at a few players. there is a lot of randomness in the game and sometimes people just get really lucky or they saw/heard something two minutes ago that you weren't aware of and led to them knowing where you'd move. my general impression is that most people who think the game has a major cheating problem are just sour losers or new to the game and aren't attuned to their own visibility/sound. I'm a dead average player and have done some complete bullshit lucky shots that probably looked sus as hell, like firing a shot vaguely at a room I know someone is hiding in just intending to scare them into moving, and end up headshotting them through the wall. stuff like that just happens sometimes. being on the receiving end of things like this can seem like total bullshit to a new player, but from the shooter's perspective with some experience it's pretty straightforward.

https://i.imgur.com/zUWFzgl.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/KnPaLAy.mp4

Make no mistake, hunt's a niche game for insane people, but there's a reason it's still going strong in its sixth year when countless "safer" multiplayer games have vanished off the face of the earth in their first year. there is nothing else like it (tarkov and all the games trying to copy tarkov are actually very different from hunt) and I think it deserves more recognition than it gets.

:hai:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

oh poo poo, time break chronicles. i gotta play that some more

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

What the

I knew I had to send Gaben that new knife for his collection. Just knew it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The 7th Guest posted:

that seems about right

the other numbers don't seem quite accurate, the small card says 555 games played for me, while the page itself says 156, and then it says I only played 1 demo when I obviously played several dozen (if not a 3 digit number lol)

What was Final Profit like?

Always on the lookout for a chance to relive playing Reccetear.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Never hide your smut games.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

oh poo poo, time break chronicles. i gotta play that some more

Same! What a fun game

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

has RDR2 been on sale for an entire year?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Upsidads posted:

has RDR2 been on sale for an entire year?

No?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s kind of funny that I play enough Warhammer 40k games that I get an entire category for that. Darktide and Battlefleet Gothic 2 was a lot of time though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

LLSix posted:

What was Final Profit like?

Always on the lookout for a chance to relive playing Reccetear.
it's pretty neat, but there are differences. there's no combat and there's no haggling. instead there are story events that unlock as you sell more items that allow you to make ethical/unethical decisions that impact your product's price/profit margin. quite a lot of story in the game actually, since you're an exiled queen who joins a mega-capitalist corporation in order to destroy it from the inside

it's made in RPG Maker and it has stock RPG Maker art, so you have to deal with that, but it's not poorly composited or anything. You start out small and just keep upgrading and upgrading and upgrading. You initially have a tiny mart, then you get your main shop, and in the final act you're making enough money to buy real estate, including in your homeland, to generate passive income. There's also hidden apples everywhere, and the more you have, the more chests you can open in the world which can contain stock or passive bonuses. and like i said, each product you stock has a sort of questline that progresses every time you reach sales milestones

I think there's a demo so you can see if the game vibes with you

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The 7th Guest posted:

it's pretty neat, but there are differences. there's no combat and there's no haggling. instead there are story events that unlock as you sell more items that allow you to make ethical/unethical decisions that impact your product's price/profit margin. quite a lot of story in the game actually, since you're an exiled queen who joins a mega-capitalist corporation in order to destroy it from the inside

it's made in RPG Maker and it has stock RPG Maker art, so you have to deal with that, but it's not poorly composited or anything. You start out small and just keep upgrading and upgrading and upgrading. You initially have a tiny mart, then you get your main shop, and in the final act you're making enough money to buy real estate, including in your homeland, to generate passive income. There's also hidden apples everywhere, and the more you have, the more chests you can open in the world which can contain stock or passive bonuses. and like i said, each product you stock has a sort of questline that progresses every time you reach sales milestones

I think there's a demo so you can see if the game vibes with you

Sounds rad. Thanks!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Owl Inspector posted:

I have close to 1k hours in hunt and don't think it has a widespread cheating problem. I suspect there's soft cheats like screen magnifiers, crosshairs and workarounds for the now-banned reshade, but I've still never reported anyone because I've never seen anything I'd consider irrefutable hacks, even if I've raised an eyebrow at a few players. there is a lot of randomness in the game and sometimes people just get really lucky or they saw/heard something two minutes ago that you weren't aware of and led to them knowing where you'd move. my general impression is that most people who think the game has a major cheating problem are just sour losers or new to the game and aren't attuned to their own visibility/sound. I'm a dead average player and have done some complete bullshit lucky shots that probably looked sus as hell, like firing a shot vaguely at a room I know someone is hiding in just intending to scare them into moving, and end up headshotting them through the wall. stuff like that just happens sometimes. being on the receiving end of things like this can seem like total bullshit to a new player, but from the shooter's perspective with some experience it's pretty straightforward.
:hai:

Hunt is one of the best games to come out in the last decade - niche or not, it knows what it wants to be and nails it. It has it's fair share of problems but the core of it is solid, unique, and incredibly satisfying in ways other games can't match.
Cheaters exist but are rare - I've run into super-blatant ones maybe a dozen times in 1500 hours. Cheaters also tend to push themselves into the high-rated brackets very quickly, so people farting around in 2-4 star probably won't run into them as often.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

To be fair it sure feels like it. Game is always on sale for $20.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DarkDobe posted:

Hunt is one of the best games to come out in the last decade - niche or not, it knows what it wants to be and nails it. It has it's fair share of problems but the core of it is solid, unique, and incredibly satisfying in ways other games can't match.
Cheaters exist but are rare - I've run into super-blatant ones maybe a dozen times in 1500 hours. Cheaters also tend to push themselves into the high-rated brackets very quickly, so people farting around in 2-4 star probably won't run into them as often.

One other thing for Hunt is that it's one of the few, live multiplayer games that have maintained an aesthetic. I legit can't stand it when shooters add a bunch of dumb meme poo poo and brand crossovers, something like Fortnite is my kryptonite.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

DerekSmartymans posted:

Rock and Stone, buddy…

Could change your mind!

i play deep rock with my pals and it's very good. but recently we moved over to lethal company and i know it's not news but that's one heck of a game. i poo poo my pants three times an hour playing it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The aesthetic is a big part of why I love Warframe.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rogue Trader is so good y'all.

Massive improvements all around compared to their Pathfinder games.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
First time playing MGS 5, it was really good.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Mordja posted:

One other thing for Hunt is that it's one of the few, live multiplayer games that have maintained an aesthetic. I legit can't stand it when shooters add a bunch of dumb meme poo poo and brand crossovers, something like Fortnite is my kryptonite.

They know their aesthetic and theme and have stuck to it almost overwhelmingly. There's a few skins that are a little bit out there but nothing you could point at and say 'that doesn't belong in eldritch magic 1890's louisiana death swamp'

Fortnite was at least marginally cohesive to begin with - when it was generic cartoony Soldier Mans and Ladies in a single player tower-defense-ish game.
- like that's all the 'soldier' archetypes. The engineers, scouts and ninjas all had their own thing and the aesthetic fit.
But when it turned into a BR game, well, no sense holding back the cosmetics when you can make just about anything 'fit', it's a cartoonish enough style pretty much anything they throw at the wall will stick - even if said aesthetic is 'cartoony rainbow vomit' with vague themes pinned to it each season. They know their market.
The laziest poo poo they do is just plaster random patterns on existing models for some really eye-searing recolors. The unique characters are well made. Taking one of the regular soldiers and covering them in stickers and wrapping paper looks like garbage but it's a super easy (comparatively) change to make that you can sell - someone out there is going to like it!

Holy gently caress I looked it up theres a bit over 1600 different skins now.
If I had to guess probably half of them are just recolors (likely more than that).

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 19, 2023

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Jack Trades posted:

Rogue Trader is so good y'all.

Massive improvements all around compared to their Pathfinder games.

Yeah, it's got a few classic CRPG warts but it's so good. Definitely gives me strong "everybody involved in this production actually likes 40k and actively gives a poo poo" feelings. There are some things to nitpick at - the arithmetic storm that barfs out of some of the ability tooltips can make you go cross eyed a bit for example, but when I'm actually playing it I couldn't give less of a poo poo. It's too fun.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Between Fanatical, GMG, Humble and Steam, RDR2 has been on sale since at least January 2022.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Badly Jester posted:

Between Fanatical, GMG, Humble and Steam, RDR2 has been on sale since at least January 2022.

I looked it up out of curiosity and there's been only a couple of days in the last year where you couldn't buy RDR2 for 20bux.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I feel like Owlcat games are usually like that and it's best to wait because they eventually do a good job of fixing most of the issues.

I feel like that goes for all the big CRPGs, just wait a year for the Definitive/Enhanced/Complete/Whatever Edition.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

'Cats' (which probably shouldn't count as a genre), presumably because I played Stray back in January.

disposablewords posted:

If someone's too cowardly to do that openly, they should just get a secondary account for it.

I'd feel zero shame playing 'adult' games except that most of them look really bad quality-wise

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Jack Trades posted:

I looked it up out of curiosity and there's been only a couple of days in the last year where you couldn't buy RDR2 for 20bux.

Thanks for actually posting a screenshot. I looked it up myself but didn't feel like jumping through all of the hoops to to actually post a picture from the iOS app :effort:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Would like to see the same data for Cyberpunk 2077. Feels like it's usually on sale most of the time RDR2 is.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Agents are GO! posted:

The aesthetic is a big part of why I love Warframe.

I remain thrilled that a game with such a specific and frankly weird aesthetic has been so successful, even if I haven't played in years.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Aside from a brief stint with Inscryption this looks about right considering I didn't get a new PC until July. Maybe next year I'll actually get around to BG2 and by then BG3 will actually be on sale!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

drat, playing the Baldur's Gate games for the first time in 2023. Super jelly.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Phlegmish posted:

drat, playing the Baldur's Gate games for the first time in 2023. Super jelly.

I've played BG1 and 2 (and IWD and PST) before but never beaten any of them lol, a lot of 'got about 30% of the way in and stopped' type deals. Only during the pandemic did I vow to actually start finishing games, and only five months ago did I finally have a PC capable of even running the enhanced editions without stuttering (my last PC was so old).

Now I'm nearly done with Siege of Dragonspear and it rocks even if it's a little jarring to see them slap modern design sensibilities on top of a 20 year old engine.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Wolfsheim posted:

Now I'm nearly done with Siege of Dragonspear and it rocks even if it's a little jarring to see them slap modern design sensibilities on top of a 20 year old engine.

i just played SoD for the first time this year and remembering how much of an insanely negative overreaction people had to it is crazy lol

its perfectly okay at worst, and pretty cool in some parts

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Watching other people play first person shooters, they're so wobbly, can't stand still for a moment. I know that's strategy, you want to keep moving to make yourself a harder target, but it just makes watching it feel weird. I imagine this contributes to me being a bad player, I don't think I do that.

credburn fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 19, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

credburn posted:

Watching other people play first person shooters, they're so wobbly, can't stand still for a moment. I know that's strategy, you want to keep moving to make yourself a harder target, but it just makes watching it feel weird. I imagine this contributes to me being a bad player, I don't think I do that.

love playing against players like you

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Probably pretty unique top 3.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Walh Hara posted:

Probably pretty unique top 3.

Well, what can you do, troubleshooter is awesome.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

AParadox posted:

40% of my play time was spent between elden ring, bg3 and age of wonders 4 but it really wanted emphasize the sheer quantity of 2$ VS clones and roguelikes I bought this year

This was very similar to mine. It took me a while to figure out that Holocure / Vampire Survivors / Brotato / Halls of Torment are all "action roguelikes"

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1712350/Riven/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Interesting. could this be a sequel to something? I can’t tell as there’s nothing in the title that suggests it is.