Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Ginette Reno posted:

The readme does mention that SCS should be installed after TOF so that makes sense.

I need to get my installs in order with this and play around with it. Looks like a lot of fun. I usually use Rogue Rebalancing as well but I'm guessing that's not compatible with TOF and probably won't ever be. That's fine though because TOF adds a lot of poo poo otherwise. I will miss the special merchants that RR adds.

I didn't have SCS installed, just unpacked. The spell components are from the side project Strategems of Mystara and are functionally identical, but there's apparently something broken in TOF that stops that one component from installing correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Question about SCS and EET_End. The SCS readme says "If you are using EET, SCS probably can cope with being installed either before or after the EET_End component. (My testing mostly assumes 'after'.)" I'm planning on putting it as the last mod before EET_End - what do you folks do?

Conversely, all of the UI mods I use can handle being after EET_End according to the EET author's own compatibility list: EEUITweaks, EEex, Bubb's spell menu.

I've always installed EEex and Bubb's very late in my order as they muck with the binary in memory while it's running, not the override folder.

Doing them after EET_End is attractive as the rest of load order should in theory just work on every single device BG runs on: PC/Deck/iPad, while EEex and Bubb's can't go on the iPad. So I'd like to install up to EET_End and zip it up, then decide what I want to do on each platform - EEUITweaks needs different components on iPad to PC/Deck.

Any houghts/opinions/experience on EET load ordering appreciated. Going to skip SoD and focus on the original trilogy.

Ginette Reno posted:

I usually use Rogue Rebalancing as well but I'm guessing that's not compatible with TOF and probably won't ever be. That's fine though because TOF adds a lot of poo poo otherwise. I will miss the special merchants that RR adds.

Some of RR's content is in ToF - the revised HLAs, in particular. You may be able to add the other components with no clashes. IIRC RR goes pretty high in the install order, before even Tweaks Anthology, leave alone SCS, so if you avoid the bits that overlap - HLAs, spells, stuff like that, you may be fine doing both.

E: I'd definitely skip the rebalanced kits in RR! But merchants/items should be ok is my guess.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 17, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

v1ld posted:

E: I'd definitely skip the rebalanced kits in RR! But merchants/items should be ok is my guess.

I might try it and see. Being able to keep the cyric encounter + merchants would be enough for me given all the class changes that TOF makes otherwise.

Chosen of Cyric encounter adds some great items and it's just a fun (albeit quite hard) encounter. And adding the Ioun Stones for Monks so they can get head crit immunity is...well pretty necessary for making Monks slightly less garbage, at least on the cranked rear end SCS settings I run

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

I might try it and see. Being able to keep the cyric encounter + merchants would be enough for me given all the class changes that TOF makes otherwise.

Chosen of Cyric encounter adds some great items and it's just a fun (albeit quite hard) encounter. And adding the Ioun Stones for Monks so they can get head crit immunity is...well pretty necessary for making Monks slightly less garbage, at least on the cranked rear end SCS settings I run

AWAY FOUL TEMPTER, I'M NOT REINSTALLING AGAIN (today)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

v1ld posted:

Any houghts/opinions/experience on EET load ordering appreciated. Going to skip SoD and focus on the original trilogy.

I'm not 100% clear on what can and can't be installed after EET_End myself, but anything that's rules or UI based shouldn't be a problem, I would think. I've definitely installed stuff from Tweaks anthology and cosmetic stuff that way before.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Good to know, thanks.

Found out some stuff about EET:
- SoD has to be installed for EET to work, but the Endless BG1 mod lets you stay in BG1 after the ending battle and then have a conversation with Duke Belt to decide whether you want to go into SoD or SoA from there.
- EET Tweaks mod lets you move inventory items from BG1 to Irenicus' dungeon, which is cool and good. Also has options for EET XP caps as a whole or in each segment.
- EET lets you start in BG1, SoD, or SoA! You can have one install that does it all, which is really cool for my mod order which is all about gameplay tweaks, not new content.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

v1ld posted:

Good to know, thanks.

Found out some stuff about EET:
- SoD has to be installed for EET to work, but the Endless BG1 mod lets you stay in BG1 after the ending battle and then have a conversation with Duke Belt to decide whether you want to go into SoD or SoA from there.
- EET Tweaks mod lets you move inventory items from BG1 to Irenicus' dungeon, which is cool and good. Also has options for EET XP caps as a whole or in each segment.
- EET lets you start in BG1, SoD, or SoA! You can have one install that does it all, which is really cool for my mod order which is all about gameplay tweaks, not new content.

Yeah. I'm honestly not sure if it's worth the extra trouble in some ways but I'm used to it and it really does work. There's very little that takes advantage of its real benefit, that of letting you go back to BG1 areas in BG2 if you so desire, but I think I've seen a few mods that pull that trick.

I've used Endless BG1 a few times now and I really like it, if only for letting Imoen stay in the party for Korlasz's dungeon. (There's also Imoen4Ever which I haven't really messed with but which apparently does exactly what its name describes.)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I wonder what ToF's going to do to the kits used by that party and how the hand tuned AI will react to any changes in kit. I guess the latter, AI scripts, already work with other kit changing mods so it can't be too bad?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

docbeard posted:

Yeah. I'm honestly not sure if it's worth the extra trouble in some ways but I'm used to it and it really does work. There's very little that takes advantage of its real benefit, that of letting you go back to BG1 areas in BG2 if you so desire, but I think I've seen a few mods that pull that trick.

I've used Endless BG1 a few times now and I really like it, if only for letting Imoen stay in the party for Korlasz's dungeon. (There's also Imoen4Ever which I haven't really messed with but which apparently does exactly what its name describes.)

Having an all-in-one EETed BG2EE install that lets me play any of the 3 games on the Deck sounds great. My mod selections are pretty tame and stable so it's quite attractive to not have to manage separate installs.

I used Imoen4Ever once and it just worked, but that run didn't go too far.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

v1ld posted:

I wonder what ToF's going to do to the kits used by that party and how the hand tuned AI will react to any changes in kit. I guess the latter, AI scripts, already work with other kit changing mods so it can't be too bad?

Good question. It may not work at all. I'm trying an install right now with RR (just the new items) on and I'll see if even that works with bg1 w/ TOF also installed. If I can get through bg1/sod without crashes then we'll see what happens with that encounter.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well I'm running into some really weird bugs with ToF right off the bat (it's doing really weird things with stat bonuses and penalties from subraces, and worse, it spontaneously turned my attempt at a druid/mage back into a cleric/mage) and I am running out of patience for troubleshooting. I may just have to uninstall it for now. Which sucks because there's stuff from it that I really want to try out but I also actually want to play.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Look at it this way, you're not being denied playing BG now, but you are given a possibility of playing novel BG later :unsmith:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm also having trouble getting my install in order. I was able to install all of the mods I normally use (Mod merger/RR(with just the items component)/IWDifcation/Tweaks and then installed Talents of Faerun with no issue. When I go to install SCS though I run into the error "ERROR: Failure("resource [dw#marker_file.itm] not found for 'COPY'")" & "ERROR locating resource for 'COPY' Resource [dw#marker_file.itm] not found in KEY file:
[./chitin.key]"

when trying to install the improved tactical challenges/ai component.

TOF readme indicates SCS should go last so I'm not sure what the problem is.

e: I asked DavidW on the g3 forums and he said to try installing the AI component individually. I did and that appears to have worked. Maybe I can get myself a working install yet. Gonna try to get the rest of this install up and running and see how it all fits.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 18, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

docbeard posted:

Well I'm running into some really weird bugs with ToF right off the bat (it's doing really weird things with stat bonuses and penalties from subraces, and worse, it spontaneously turned my attempt at a druid/mage back into a cleric/mage) and I am running out of patience for troubleshooting. I may just have to uninstall it for now. Which sucks because there's stuff from it that I really want to try out but I also actually want to play.

From what was said on the g3 forums you can't actually add new kits to the game so many of the new classes are UI tricks over another class. Turns out some of the new classes in BG2EE added by Beamdog do the same thing, they didn't actually add new classes to the engine.

So the new Druid multis are all Cleric multis under the hood, I believe. Just using the right spells and otherwise behaving exactly like a Druid should.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

v1ld posted:

From what was said on the g3 forums you can't actually add new kits to the game so many of the new classes are UI tricks over another class. Turns out some of the new classes in BG2EE added by Beamdog do the same thing, they didn't actually add new classes to the engine.

So the new Druid multis are all Cleric multis under the hood, I believe. Just using the right spells and otherwise behaving exactly like a Druid should.

Yeah, except something I installed hosed up the "behaving like a druid should" part. My MUST MAKE THING WORK tendencies have overtaken my desire to just play for the moment so I'm trying to figure out what that something is now.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

DavidW posted a hotfix for the symbol_pain install error at https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/37529-error-installing-spell-tweaks-component/

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well I was eventually able to piece together an install. We'll see how it actually plays. Since Tof is the first version I expect a fair amount of bugs. I guess we'll see

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Well I was eventually able to piece together an install. We'll see how it actually plays. Since Tof is the first version I expect a fair amount of bugs. I guess we'll see

Good luck! I'm in love with some of the changes it makes already.

It looks like the stat bonus/penalty doubling thing I found is a legit bug that happens even in a pristine install. That's easy enough to deal with until a fix happens, it's whatever interaction that's keeping druid multiclasses from staying druid multiclasses for me that I'm really trying to zero in on before I can start playing.

"Just play a different-" No. "Well what about not playing with so many mods-" No.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

It looks like the stat bonus/penalty doubling thing I found is a legit bug that happens even in a pristine install. That's easy enough to deal with until a fix happens, it's whatever interaction that's keeping druid multiclasses from staying druid multiclasses for me that I'm really trying to zero in on before I can start playing.

"Just play a different-" No. "Well what about not playing with so many mods-" No.

Already sitting at character creation paralyzed by indecision! Favored Soul and Druid/Mage are both gripping me. I might have to just random and play the result of my roll lol

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I told EET to not biff files at all and now override/ is already 2GB even before other mods get installed. :ohdearsass: But at least this way I get to more easily zip up just the modded files into a single file I can move between PC and Deck. EET sticking stuff under data/ and the other folders makes would that more complicated.

docbeard posted:

ToF feels really fresh and good. I especially like the stat overhaul removing the huge deadzones in the pre-14 stat range, as well as removing exceptional strength (18/xx). Some of its ideas were already in SubtleDoctor's mods, but it's nice to have them all in one place - there's an overall sense of cohesiveness about ToF that makes it easier for me to say, yeah, go ahead and install most everything.

I'm installing EET basically because ToF makes me want to play BG1 all over again with a feat system as well as some of the other 3e-like rules changes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Already sitting at character creation paralyzed by indecision! Favored Soul and Druid/Mage are both gripping me. I might have to just random and play the result of my roll lol

Hahaha yeah, the one blessing of my woes is it will actually give me more time to make a decision!

Some of those sorcerer bloodlines (not documented in the readme yet but the descriptions are in the game) look like fun too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

Hahaha yeah, the one blessing of my woes is it will actually give me more time to make a decision!

Some of those sorcerer bloodlines (not documented in the readme yet but the descriptions are in the game) look like fun too.

They do. Some of them look really good actually. drat.

Some of the races seem like they might be OP but I guess the base game has that too. Water Genasis in particular looks insane. 15% resistance to physical damage is nuts assuming it stacks with Barbarian abilities. That' would put you at 35% base at level 20, + 20% more from the defender of easthaven = 55%, and then hardiness would make you immune to physical damage lol.

That might sound busted but I guess it's not since you can technically already get there in the base game by using Dwarven Defender when popping stance or with Barb + hell trials

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ToF Beta 2 just got released. Looks like just some bug fixes.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Nice. I'm going to start a run when it gets to v1 release. Beta hasn't thrown up many bugs so far - though your problem with druid multis showing up as clerics is worrisome, docbeard.

I've got build paralysis. Want to try something new to me like a druid/ranger or a cleric/ranger multi, with one of the new kits.
- Forester of Baervan (Archer/Priest of Baervan; gnomes/elves/half-elves only)
- Hunter of Selūne (Ranger/Priest of Selūne)
- Nightstalker of Malar (Stalker/Priest of Malar)
- Scout of Corellon (Stalker/Priest of Corellon; elves/half-elves only)
- Night Wolf (stalker/shapeshifter)

That last, a grand mastery backstabbing werewolf sounds fun though it's scimitars only I would think. Would a Shapeshifter have access to Druid spells if wearing the armors allowed by Stalker? I'm guessing not. E: Yeah, it clearly say no armor.

Temptation to play as a half-elf DD is high too, make for a good face character.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 18, 2023

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Here's me being stupid again in BG2: EE:

I remember the dialogue window being two-part, with the top part being a chat log of sorts (? I mean previous bits of dialogue), the two parts could be resized independently and the top one could be hidden into a ^^^ symbol on the edge of the dialogue window, which has disappeared as well. I seem to have accidentally turned off the top window somehow, anyone remember what the option is called or where to turn it back on?

ed: it's "log history" and I was looking for the icon in the wrong place :downs:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 18, 2023

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

v1ld posted:

Nice. I'm going to start a run when it gets to v1 release. Beta hasn't thrown up many bugs so far - though your problem with druid multis showing up as clerics is worrisome, docbeard.

After some testing, I think this seems to be caused by installing ToF after EET_End. (We'll see if not doing that causes different problems! I think conventional wisdom is that EET_End should usually be the last thing you install but DavidW has always maintained that SCS (and now ToF) should be installed after it, though I think it's down to him not wanting/being able to troubleshoot whatever EET_End actually does.

quote:

I've got build paralysis. Want to try something new to me like a druid/ranger or a cleric/ranger multi, with one of the new kits.

That last, a grand mastery backstabbing werewolf sounds fun though it's scimitars only I would think. Would a Shapeshifter have access to Druid spells if wearing the armors allowed by Stalker? I'm guessing not. E: Yeah, it clearly say no armor.

Temptation to play as a half-elf DD is high too, make for a good face character.

I'd guess that backstabs in werewolf form would work (I think innate/summoned weapons are usually backstab-friendly). Plus with the new proficiency system you could take proficiency in other thief-friendly weapons if you wanted. If you just stick with core druid weapons, yeah, it's scimitars, staves, daggers and clubs.

I think I've more or less settled on a Druid/Elementalist (not sure which element, leaning toward air) for my first go, assuming no further problems (lol) but a lot of other combos sound really fun too. Night Wolf is definitely on my short list, as is a druid/thief (spotting a pattern yet?). Abjurant Champion (Abjurer/Dwarven Defender) seems like it could be cool (and a bit/lot broken) too.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I may have asked this a fortnight ago, but has anyone played the IWD2EE fan project? I think that they might have bloated it with too many half-cocked fan ideas, but it fixes a lot of problems and is very modular so I'm quite interested.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

docbeard posted:

After some testing, I think this seems to be caused by installing ToF after EET_End. (We'll see if not doing that causes different problems! I think conventional wisdom is that EET_End should usually be the last thing you install but DavidW has always maintained that SCS (and now ToF) should be installed after it, though I think it's down to him not wanting/being able to troubleshoot whatever EET_End actually does.

As of v33 or v34 he relaxed it to saying you can install before or after EET_end. I have both ToF and SCS before EET_end as I'm playing around with EET - it was very cool to have access to all of the games in the menu!

Right now I have this order near the bottom of my mods:
ToF
Tweaks Anthology
SCS
aTweaks (for 2 minor things that shouldn't affect anything major I hope)
PPE
EET_end

That was working fine without EET, or seemingly fine anyway.

Noticed that with EET exceptional strength values were back - but I think that's because I enabled the Consistent Stats Minsc component in Tweaks Anthology, it's only offered for BG1EE and EET. That may have overwritten ToF's stats changes.

Rebuilding with ToFb2 right now and will not enable that component from TA. But thinking I should maybe switch to:
TA
ToF
SCS
aTweaks etc.
EET_end

quote:

I think I've more or less settled on a Druid/Elementalist (not sure which element, leaning toward air) for my first go, assuming no further problems (lol) but a lot of other combos sound really fun too. Night Wolf is definitely on my short list, as is a druid/thief (spotting a pattern yet?). Abjurant Champion (Abjurer/Dwarven Defender) seems like it could be cool (and a bit/lot broken) too.

It'd be a shame to not play one of the new multis, so many interesting combos in there.

Never played a Ranger or a shapeshifting Druid, so either a Druid/Ranger or Night Wolf are appealing. Rangers being able to achieve full grand mastery, even in a multi, makes it kind of future proof against any build silliness I may otherwise do.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Learned one useful trick from the EET installation docs for batch installs of mods: --skip-at-view will ignore any prompt or pop up the mod may want to do as part of its install. Like for eg how some mods will show success at the end and then want you to acknowledge with the ENTER key - that'll be skipped.

I do batch installs using commands like so:
./setup-dw_talents.exe --skip-at-view --language 0 --force-install-list 1500 1510 1520 2000 2500 2510 2520 20000 40000 40100 40200 40300 40310 40400 40450 40600 40610 40650 40660 40700 40800 40850 40900 40925 40950 41000 50000 50100 50200 50300 50400 50500 55000 55100 55200 55300 55400 55500 55600 55700 55800 55900 60100 60200 80000 80150 81012 81100

and then chain them with:
./setup-Ascension.exe --skip-at-view --language 0 --force-install-list 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 2300 2400 && ./setup-c\#endlessbg1.exe --skip-at-view --language 0 --force-install-list 0 1 5 6 7 9 13 15 && ./setup-dw_talents.exe --skip-at-view --language 0 --force-install-list 1500 1510 1520 2000 ...

Where && is UNIX shell speak for "run this command if the last one succeeded". --skip-at-view is really useful here, prevents any of those batch installs from pausing for an ENTER keystroke from me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Gonna be real honest and say that the last couple of posts make me feel like I'm having a stroke

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Hollismason posted:

Gonna be real honest and say that the last couple of posts make me feel like I'm having a stroke

I went through this 2 years ago, at least this is beneficial to the community.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Hahahaha I understood most of those posts and I do not blame you one bit.

Vichan posted:

I went through this 2 years ago, at least this is beneficial to the community.

Your Sandrah Saga playthrough was definitely beneficial to the community

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

docbeard posted:

Hahahaha I understood most of those posts and I do not blame you one bit.

Your Sandrah Saga playthrough was definitely beneficial to the community

So long as it convinced one person not to play that mod, yes it was.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

v1ld posted:

Same with the build paralysis. Scout of corellon (stalker/priest of corellon) and rake of sune (swashbuckler/priest of selune) are my first two choices, but night wolf also looks very cool.

Half elf cavalier also looks pretty tempting: -5 to saves right from the start, eventual access to lvl 6 priest spells and some pretty vicious smites. But holy poo poo do you need every stat but int. The temptation would be to do like 10 str to start, but that would make for a painful early game.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well, things finally seem to be more or less working. Imoen's an Air Genasi for some reason (and I don't have the heart to inquire whether this is intentional or not at this point) but whatever, I can live with that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

Well, things finally seem to be more or less working. Imoen's an Air Genasi for some reason (and I don't have the heart to inquire whether this is intentional or not at this point) but whatever, I can live with that.

I played a little bit yesterday and ran into some untenable bugs so I did a fresh install today with the new version. I also only installed Tof + SCS and didn't bother with tweaks or any of RR just in case tweaks/RR are causing any compatible issues. Tof + SCS should work fine together since both mods are by the same person and he's taken steps to make them compatible. I feel like any other mods working with Tof right now are going to be a bit of a wild card. Might take a bit of time before it's safe to throw other mods into the mix given Tof probably still has plenty of bugs since it's in beta.

Haven't played yet today as I've been busy but we'll see how it looks

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

JustJeff88 posted:

I may have asked this a fortnight ago, but has anyone played the IWD2EE fan project? I think that they might have bloated it with too many half-cocked fan ideas, but it fixes a lot of problems and is very modular so I'm quite interested.

Would also like a trip report.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hmm so looking at my game and I don't see Favored Soul for some reason. Looking at my install I don't even see it as an option. Weird.

All the other new classes/kits seem to be there. I've been messing with this for a few days so I might just roll with it and see if it's working otherwise.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 19, 2023

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Hmm so looking at my game and I don't see Favored Soul for some reason. Looking at my install I don't even see it as an option. Weird.

All the other new classes/kits seem to be there. I've been messing with this for a few days so I might just roll with it and see if it's working otherwise.

That's odd. It might have skipped the component during install if you skipped one of its prerequisites, but that's all I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

That's odd. It might have skipped the component during install if you skipped one of its prerequisites, but that's all I can think of.

Not sure. I tried running the installer again a few minutes ago just to see if the prompt even came up but it never did. But every other component seems to be installed looking at my Weidu file.

Not a deal breaker if the rest of my install is working. I can try the other poo poo out with it. But would be nice to figure out