Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
it's a tumblr term for "exported character" which I think is self explanatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Kyrosiris posted:

Okay, I keep seeing this in this thread, and have no idea what the gently caress it means. What the gently caress is "expy"?

Short for "exported character", it means a character in some property that is a version of a character from another property

Like Alex Casey in Alan Wake is a Max Payne expy because due to rights ownership Remedy couldn't put in Max Payne himself

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Kyrosiris posted:

Okay, I keep seeing this in this thread, and have no idea what the gently caress it means. What the gently caress is "expy"?

its short for 'exported character' and is mostly a term for when a creator explicitly introduces a character in a future work that is very obviously just a character from an older work by the same creator

Eej posted:

it's a tumblr term for "exported character" which I think is self explanatory

oh it predates tumblr by a long time, you have to go further back to livejournal/tv tropes :eng101:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

You know how the original Mobile Suit Gundam had Char Aznable, the skilled masked rival ace pilot with a shady past and a personal agenda? And then later Gundam series have their own "Char" equivalents, skilled masked rival ace pilots with shady pasts and personal agendas?

Though stuff like Welt being an actual Honkai Impact 3 character that got isekai'd into Star Rail makes it weird to think about for this game.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

The concept is even older than all that: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars%C3%A8ne_Lupin_versus_Herlock_Sholmes

rio
Mar 20, 2008

drat Hanya is so loving cool and good. I got Argenti to a suitable spot to put some resources into getting her on his team and I’m really glad with how cool the animations are, and how good the team feels with her on it (added to Argenti, Tingyun and Huohuo).

Now I want to see where else she could fit in. Does she work on a Seele team? My other carry right now is Topaz and I feel like Asta fits better there (she is e5, Hanya e2) especially considering the fire specific buffs and that Topaz isn’t a skill point hungry but idk. Seele on the other hand could benefit from the skill points, but if I run mono QUA with SW I’m not sure if she’s the best choice compared to slotting someone like Pela?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hanya is good for any team that benefits from pressing skill a lot and has a character who really appreciates ATK and Speed. This is basically any team with Bronya and doesn't have Jingliu and maybe Qingque (both of whom have quite a bit of ATK already in their kits)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I don’t have Bronya since the standard banner and lost 50/50s haven’t been kind (Clara and Bronya being the two standards I’d like the most and got neither). But good to know she can slot in that easily. I wish we had some sort of combat dummy that tracked damage so I could get a better sense of stuff like Pela vs. Hanya in a Seele team.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Gonna finally hit TL 65 tomorrow. Which things actually have a new tier at 65? Is it just Echoes and SU?

Also PSA to anyone getting Ruan Mei next week: Don't do your weekly Echoes right away. Remember that she needs the new 4th Echo mats to level up, which you can't get until 1.6 drops.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Thank you for the PSA, I totally wouldn't have considered that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've basically ran out of things to do in this game

Can't tell if it's a bad thing

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

rio posted:

I wish we had some sort of combat dummy that tracked damage so I could get a better sense of stuff like Pela vs. Hanya in a Seele team.
We do now! If you finish the current Belobog arena fighty event, one of the punching bags in the room becomes a permanent repeatable encounter with a big pile of shield-bros.

Which reminds me to go put it to use, I’ve always been support-averse (preferring double dps) but my Asta is finished-ish and my 300-pulls free Bronya is getting there.

Wish the game had a running damage tally though, or exposed turn counter outside of the modes where it’s mechanically significant.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Meowywitch posted:

Well, in a little over a week you'll have a nice big pile of things to do!

So, uh, enjoy the holidays until then?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Meowywitch posted:

I still have characters to build. And I still have Swarm to complete.

But I could call my characters done. I can clear most content in their current state.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Gat drat. Jingliu is absolutely cracked. I was gathering traces mats for Argenti and misclicked on Jingliu and saw that her skill was still at 8. Her talent node was at 7. She's still have been putting out impressive numbers, carrying one side on MoC by herself this entire time. Can't wait to make her even better muwahaha

NeonPunk fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 19, 2023

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Jingliu rules, her only flaw is that I'm stuck at 190% crit damage because her worst relic has 9 speed that she really needs to stay ahead of Bronya.

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."

That's a good cruel joke.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've been workshopping some Dr. Ratio rotations in my head for future MoC. If you're like me and don't have Topaz e1s1, you still have several options.

Topaz/SW/Ratio - Pretty Simple. You can sub out Silver Wolf for any Nihility, but she's going to give you the best rewards. Have Topaz and Ratio focus down 1 enemy at a time. When Ratio's ult comes up, use it on the enemy you're not focused on. Silver Wolf and your sustain can proc his follow-up on the second target.

Mono Imaginary - Welt can provide 2 debuffs and spread them to every enemy on the field so Ratio can proc his follow-up on any enemy you choose. Yukong provides great support, or you can use Hanya to let Welt use his skill every turn as well.

Ratio and Nihility - Basically the same as Welt. I'm thinking Ratio/Hanya/Kafka. Plenty of debuffs to go around, and there is no shortage of skill points. Both dps can focus down separate targets, and Kafka's follow-up can be focused on Ratio's target to keep the debuff up.

Could Ratio work in a hypercarry? I only use Topaz as a dual dps team. I just think that's where Hunt works best. Except Seele.

Eldsluft posted:

That's a good cruel joke.

I had a Prisoner Attack chest that started with crit rate and damage. Not a single roll went into those stats.

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

Bad Video Games posted:

I've been workshopping some Dr. Ratio rotations in my head for future MoC. If you're like me and don't have Topaz e1s1, you still have several options.

Topaz/SW/Ratio - Pretty Simple. You can sub out Silver Wolf for any Nihility, but she's going to give you the best rewards. Have Topaz and Ratio focus down 1 enemy at a time. When Ratio's ult comes up, use it on the enemy you're not focused on. Silver Wolf and your sustain can proc his follow-up on the second target.

Mono Imaginary - Welt can provide 2 debuffs and spread them to every enemy on the field so Ratio can proc his follow-up on any enemy you choose. Yukong provides great support, or you can use Hanya to let Welt use his skill every turn as well.

Ratio and Nihility - Basically the same as Welt. I'm thinking Ratio/Hanya/Kafka. Plenty of debuffs to go around, and there is no shortage of skill points. Both dps can focus down separate targets, and Kafka's follow-up can be focused on Ratio's target to keep the debuff up.

Could Ratio work in a hypercarry? I only use Topaz as a dual dps team. I just think that's where Hunt works best. Except Seele.

> With Topaz
S0E1 or S1E0 is enough as Ratio's skill provides one constant debuff (he needs 3).
If Topaz is at least E1 or S1 then the support member can be Ruan Mei or Asta, otherwize they still need a Nihility teammate.

> Hypercarry
Ratio must go with a Nihility teammate (SW, Guinaifen, or Pela with E4 / Resolution shines as pearls of sweat).
A problem with Ratio is his ult is slow. Unless taking extra hits, he needs 4 moves to get his ult without energy regeneration. If with Huohuo or ERR rope it's 3 moves, if with E6 Tingyun it'll be 2 moves. So E6 Tingyun is probably the best support for him.
But well, a lot of carry characters want Tingyun. To whom shall she go with is up to you :3

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My Topaz is e0 with Swordplay, and my Tingyun isn't e6 yet. So, I guess my team options are pretty locked. Also, I rarely use Tingyun.

My next project is dps Sampo and Guinaifen. I need a Wind dps other than Dan Heng.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

What if we don't have Topaz? Maybe something like Ratio/Silverwolf/Hanya and mitigation/healer?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

Should have started only playing it more actively with the current patch than right away like I did with both this and Genshin. :lol:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

YoshiOfYellow posted:

What if we don't have Topaz? Maybe something like Ratio/Silverwolf/Hanya and mitigation/healer?

Topaz is just my favorite character, so I'm going to throw her in every team I can. Definitely not necessary.

Ratio gets a guaranteed follow-up if the enemy has 3 debuffs and 15% crit/30% damage if they have 6. He provides 1 debuff with his A4, so Silver Wolf is always his best support. Use whoever else you like. Hanya is great.

Edit: His A2 gives 2.5 crit and 5 damage for every debuff, max of 6 stacks.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 19, 2023

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I liked Argenti in the event trial and the story mission so I threw a 10 pull at him for funsies and got two copies. It's always when you don't really care. Now I have to build a team for him without Huohuo since I missed her. When I saw that second 6* pop up I was praying for literally anyone else to keep my guarantee for Ruan Mei but oh well he's got a bit more crit damage on his talent now.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Argenti is good and more importantly here is a rose 🌹 for you ❤️

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I don’t have Topaz, Silver Wolf, or Kafka. Maybe I should fix that.

Herta, Himeko, and a loaner Topaz are really fun on that first Golden Calyx, though. Constant follow-up attacks all day long.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Argenti is good and more importantly here is a rose 🌹 for you ❤️

Idrila the Beauty is the most beautiful of all!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I just realized Hanya might make Welt and Dan Heng a better team. I tried it in the past and always ran out of sp.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Bad Video Games posted:

I just realized Hanya might make Welt and Dan Heng a better team. I tried it in the past and always ran out of sp.

Dan Heng wants an ally to target him with their ability to trigger his talent, though.

e: I guess her ultimate would work but you have Bronya right?

Genovera fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 19, 2023

rio
Mar 20, 2008

bitprophet posted:

We do now! If you finish the current Belobog arena fighty event, one of the punching bags in the room becomes a permanent repeatable encounter with a big pile of shield-bros.

Which reminds me to go put it to use, I’ve always been support-averse (preferring double dps) but my Asta is finished-ish and my 300-pulls free Bronya is getting there.

Wish the game had a running damage tally though, or exposed turn counter outside of the modes where it’s mechanically significant.

Omg I had no idea! That’s super useful - thanks! I’ve been writing that into like every survey in HI3 since they actually have what is essentially a combat dummy in beta, but isn’t accessible on the live servers so very nice to have it here.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Genovera posted:

Dan Heng wants an ally to target him with their ability to trigger his talent, though.

e: I guess her ultimate would work but you have Bronya right?

I do, but both Welt and Dan want to spam their skills. That's why it never worked well for me before. Sadly, I don't have the right gear to make it work well. I can only get about 40k on Dan's ult and about 27k on Welt's skill.

But that doesn't matter. Check out Topaz's new shoes!

Also, Hanya and Asta means the enemy never gets a turn. Especially with the Messenger set. :D

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 20, 2023

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh lol nevermind about pairing Hanya with Ratio, I haven't gotten her in my round of pulls on these banners. Instead I've gotten 1 Asta & 3 Lynxes.

I mean at least it seems like Lynx is real good?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Lynx is great if you don't have a 5-star healer or shielder. She's also great with Blade if you plan on getting him. Clara, too.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I got a few Lynxes and built her because Bailu not having t cleanse is loving annoying. And for mono QUA

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

Bad Video Games posted:

Topaz is just my favorite character, so I'm going to throw her in every team I can. Definitely not necessary.

Ratio gets a guaranteed follow-up if the enemy has 3 debuffs and 15% crit/30% damage if they have 6. He provides 1 debuff with his A4, so Silver Wolf is always his best support. Use whoever else you like. Hanya is great.

Edit: His A2 gives 2.5 crit and 5 damage for every debuff, max of 6 stacks.

It seems Ratio's A2 works similarly to Argenti's Apotheosis (the stacks are permanent), so you don't really need 6 debuffs on the enemy.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I find it a bit weird that Dr. Ratio and Argenti's stacks are permanent honestly. I'm not saying they need to be nerfed but from a design perspective it's like, what's the purpose of making them stacks if they just become static bonuses after about 2 turns? I guess with Ratio you do have to work a bit for it but Argenti doesn't need to do anything except to press his skill.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Meowywitch posted:

for me, that's why i moved to achievement hunting. it takes up a good amt of time. just have to ignore the ones where you need to have that specific new banner character in your party that you can't do with supports

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

can't tell if Ruan Mei would help Yanqing or not. its kind of confusing and bunch of things going on in her kit

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

GateOfD posted:

can't tell if Ruan Mei would help Yanqing or not. its kind of confusing and bunch of things going on in her kit

the only thing that would help yanqing would be to stop being yanqing in a game where "single-target bosses/elites without aoe attacks/debuffs" are not a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eldsluft posted:

It seems Ratio's A2 works similarly to Argenti's Apotheosis (the stacks are permanent), so you don't really need 6 debuffs on the enemy.

Seems weird. But also pretty useful if you don't have SW.

I wonder if it's the same for his A6? A free +50% damage seems kind of nuts.

That also really opens up his viable supports, especially if you're willing to gamble on his follow-up.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 20, 2023