Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

The play in and IST are a matter of taste but labor peace is pretty unequivocally good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

The bubble is the only one of those things I think is good and they undermined it the next season by forcing games to take place where people had definitely been exposed to COVID and then further in the year when he leaned on cities to return fans to the building during the still currently ongoing pandemic. I think opening the door for direct Saudi investment, and not only ignoring the capture of their media partners by sports gambling but actually promoting it are terrible developments.

Like I get there isn’t a better example of a commissioner to point to but that doesn’t mean I have to pretend he is doing a good job.

All of your negatives are things that happened across US and worldwide sports, going out of your way to pin stuff that is universally happening on 1 commissioner doesn't seem particularly fruitful.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
You can't pin gambling on Silver, that's a ridiculous take.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

That Kissinger thing is rich guy brain poisoning, Kissinger's whole thing was making the world "safe" for capitalism. In the rich guy circles that Silver runs in that is an unequivocally good thing so of course he would talk about this great diplomat who just passed away instead of ya know a genocidal lunatic.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nodoze posted:

Especially given the NBA had a gambling scandal in recent memory.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1732475773590925666?s=46&t=N0fz65wLEKglu9TyofS2Yw

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Is this just the media mad that they don't get to report on a bunch of rumors? People are actually mad the guy wants to negotiate in private instead of out in the open?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is this just the media mad that they don't get to report on a bunch of rumors? People are actually mad the guy wants to negotiate in private instead of out in the open?

Yes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
God help Ohtani if he selects a team that doesn't fit the narrative.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lockback posted:

God help Ohtani if he selects a team that doesn't fit the narrative.

he is going to the dodgers

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I kinda get it from the writers perspective. The other leagues have Free Agent Frenzy, the Deal Zone, and whatever else that drives interest. This is the Winter Meetings, there should be plenty of stuff for reporters to report on, but nothing is happening. It's not really Ohtani's fault the rest of baseball decided to collectively sit on their thumbs until Ohtani signs, but him slow-playing everything is kinda the crux of the dead period

In other league, FA drives clicks and excitement, especially with the top of the line guys available. In MLB right now, its the opposite which absolutely does not help with MLB's perceived interest issues

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Nodoze posted:

I absolutely can.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/sports/basketball/in-sharp-pivot-for-nba-commissioner-adam-silver-backs-sports-betting.html
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-makes-case-legalized-game-betting-210902096.html
https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/adam-silver-on-sports-gambling-my-sense-is-the-law-will-change-in-the-next-few-years

That's with like 30 seconds of looking.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I kinda get it from the writers perspective. The other leagues have Free Agent Frenzy, the Deal Zone, and whatever else that drives interest. This is the Winter Meetings, there should be plenty of stuff for reporters to report on, but nothing is happening. It's not really Ohtani's fault the rest of baseball decided to collectively sit on their thumbs until Ohtani signs, but him slow-playing everything is kinda the crux of the dead period

In other league, FA drives clicks and excitement, especially with the top of the line guys available. In MLB right now, its the opposite which absolutely does not help with MLB's perceived interest issues
I tend to side with the media here. Ohtani is a public figure, whether he likes it or not, and I can’t think of any other MLB player ever having a free agency like this

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I tend to side with the media here. Ohtani is a public figure, whether he likes it or not, and I can’t think of any other MLB player ever having a free agency like this

The last time it happened with someone of his stature was in the NBA when LeBron left the Cavs the first time, so he probably looked at that whole mess and decided to do the opposite.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Teams can use journalists to suss out others' offers and make sure they aren't going too high as well, so its in Ohtani's best interest to keep the negotiating in private.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s been like that forever though

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

why does it have to stay like that forever

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

why does it have to stay like that forever

lol your new av owns

Also:

https://twitter.com/SabresPlays/status/1734398767011344429?s=20

https://twitter.com/30sicks/status/1734399928951037990

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Chad Ochocino have a podcast. Here is a still from their latest episode

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1736899406593442139

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Stephen A should take a personal hygiene question every show and go off for 90 seconds. That was great.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Douchebag posted:

Stephen A should take a personal hygiene question every show and go off for 90 seconds. That was great.

The absolute best part is where he actually sneaks in a real answer quick

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

The absolute best part is where he actually sneaks in a real answer quick

Was going to mention this too

“Disgusting, absurd question of course it’s sitting down you might drip how can you ask such nonsense?!”

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Amazon looking to get into the RSN game https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/amazon-talks-invest-diamond-sports-wsj-2023-12-18/

quote:

Dec 18 (Reuters) - Amazon is in talks to invest in regional-sports programmer Diamond Sports, a move that would advance the e-commerce giant's aggressive push into sports content, the Wall Street Journal reported on Monday, citing people familiar with the matter.

Diamond Sports Group, which carries the games of more than 40 major sports teams across the United States and filed for bankruptcy earlier this year, is actively negotiating with Amazon about a strategic investment and a multi-year streaming partnership, according to the report.

If an agreement is reached, Amazon's (AMZN.O) Prime Video platform would eventually become the streaming home for Diamond's games, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Diamond, which has the local rights to about half the teams in Major League Baseball and the National Basketball Association and about a third of the National Hockey League teams, would continue operating its cable networks through its existing partnerships, according to the report.

It isn't clear how much money Amazon is planning to invest or at what valuation, and Diamond has received support from a select group of creditors for proceeding with the talks, the Wall Street Journal said.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Well the diamond sports regional apps are loving awful and multiple times this year they’ve gone completely down so honestly I’d welcome Amazon.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

boooo

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

It’s really a losing bet for most to take over these RSNs. Amazon is one of the few who can sit around losing money but leveraging their draw.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd imagine that they should be and to run a decent online service as well.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If Amazon bought up all the RSN's, but effectively made all the content available nationwide, I'd bet they'd make money on it. Lots of people would sign up for MLBTV light with no blackout rules. They wouldn't have every market, but they'd have a lot of them. Depends on how they handle the whole thing really.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

If Amazon bought up all the RSN's, but effectively made all the content available nationwide, I'd bet they'd make money on it. Lots of people would sign up for MLBTV light with no blackout rules. They wouldn't have every market, but they'd have a lot of them. Depends on how they handle the whole thing really.

They could jack up Prime another :10bux: or so to cover this and a majority of people wouldn't blink at the raise.

Take the money they won't be paying Not Top Gear anymore and spend it on the RSNs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh no OH NO

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/status/1737881632990785571

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Does anyone know if there's a sync'ed version where we hear the broadcast audio alongside this video?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve most likely said it before, but there is a special place in hell reserved for everyone involved in that loving loop that ESPN+ runs just advertising themselves during every single break.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve most likely said it before, but there is a special place in hell reserved for everyone involved in that loving loop that ESPN+ runs just advertising themselves during every single break.

Those weird mcnuggets.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Everybody has one of those, the DAZN one was burned into my brain for a while.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
F1’s is/was a 15 second loop of various race track noises (pit stops, car go vroom, another car go vrooom) but played with a serene vibe. kinda nice background music, wonder if I can find it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like one that one of the NHL services uses too, black and white close ups of things like the ring being prepped and just some background white noise. It’s far, far preferable to the obnoxious self advertising loops.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Nybble posted:

F1’s is/was a 15 second loop of various race track noises (pit stops, car go vroom, another car go vrooom) but played with a serene vibe. kinda nice background music, wonder if I can find it.

Sounds like the MLB "zen" segments they started doing last season. Just soothing, slow motion baseball ambiance. It's nice.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Amazing Inside the NBA moment on GameDay
https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1741852650197631467?t=emoaKTGYYMT3eUDiBvR6FQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Whitlock complains that ESPN is running ads that are too sexual. Finds out it's generated by user search history.

https://x.com/etanthomas36/status/1741998660815085729?s=20