Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

incogneato posted:

I take it from this that the same limitation is true for Hisense and TCL? Looking for the best general use 75" TV around $1500 or less seems to mostly bring up Hisense, TCL, and Sony. I guess I see the LG B3, but I'd have to figure out the differences there.

There's a good chance you're right and 2x 2.1 would be enough for us. Nowadays I don't have much time for gaming. But on the other hand I'd like to future proof our purchase at least a little. Seems like soundbar + console + streaming device already maxes out the 2.1 slots?

I really wonder if we'd even really notice something like sound through 2 vs 2.1, though. We're pretty unsophisticated TV viewers.

2.0 ports can handle HDR 4K content at 30fps (or SDR 4k at 60fps). That's anything you will get from a streaming box or a switch. You only need more ports than that if you have multiple gaming sources that you run in 4k HDR at 120 or 144 fps. From what you say I don't think you're in that situation.

Sound is not different between 2.0 and 2.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Don't Mediatek chips have one of the 2.1 ports also as the eARC port? So if you use a sound bar and have a ps5/series s|x/PC you'll lose out on one of the 2.1 ports.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lukewarm take: if you can afford a good tv and a new console you can do better than a soundbar.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I agree with you. I think you're better off with a receiver and stereo speakers instead of a sound bar but to each their own.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

incogneato posted:

I take it from this that the same limitation is true for Hisense and TCL? Looking for the best general use 75" TV around $1500 or less seems to mostly bring up Hisense, TCL, and Sony. I guess I see the LG B3, but I'd have to figure out the differences there.

There's a good chance you're right and 2x 2.1 would be enough for us. Nowadays I don't have much time for gaming. But on the other hand I'd like to future proof our purchase at least a little. Seems like soundbar + console + streaming device already maxes out the 2.1 slots?

You don’t really need a hdmi 2.1 port for streaming devices - consoles need it for 2.1 features like VRR/ALLM and Soundbars use 2.1 for other similar audio-related features.

The LG B3 only has 2x hdmi 2.1 ports, so it’s a wash in that regard.

qirex posted:

Lukewarm take: if you can afford a good tv and a new console you can do better than a soundbar.

The Denon AVR S760H receiver is $350 at Costco until Christmas. Probably the best deal on a receiver with hdmi 2.1 support.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 19, 2023

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
All this talk about HDMI 2.1 made me look up what I have. I have an LG C3 on its way to replace a dying CX, a Panasonic UB-820, and a Denon AVR-S750H from 3 years ago. Apparently the AVR is HDMI 2.0 only, but is my understanding correct that it doesn't matter unless I plan on displaying over 60Hz 4K HDR?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

TheOneVader posted:

All this talk about HDMI 2.1 made me look up what I have. I have an LG C3 on its way to replace a dying CX, a Panasonic UB-820, and a Denon AVR-S750H from 3 years ago. Apparently the AVR is HDMI 2.0 only, but is my understanding correct that it doesn't matter unless I plan on displaying over 60Hz 4K HDR?

Yup, as long as your sources are 4k60 and under you won't have any trouble.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

incogneato posted:

I really wonder if we'd even really notice something like sound through 2 vs 2.1, though. We're pretty unsophisticated TV viewers.

Sound over 2.1 is literally meaningless. The main thing about soundbars is most TV’s make the eARC (aka audio out to soundbar) port one of the 2.1’s. So if you have more a second 2.1 device it either competes with a soundbar, or needs a soundbar with pass through capability.

Streaming device also just does not need it. Flat out, full stop.

2.1 is for high/variable frame rate 4K HDR. Literally just for gamers for probably at least an entire nother cycle of tv ownership.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

qirex posted:

Thirded.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

qirex posted:

I have an LG S80QY in my bedroom and it's honestly too much soundbar for the room it's in. I've always been pretty happy with soundbar audio over the years. I'm sure that a proper AV receiver and separate speakers are better, but also soundbars can be pretty good if you buy a decently reviewed one. Maybe that's heresy, idk.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
It's heresy amongst a subset of posters itf but yeah, space is also a huge consideration. I have a small apartment with an open plan living/dining/sitting room which also has my PC desk in. There's literally no room for floor or shelf speakers in addition to my TV unit, which does however perfectly fit my soundbar which is plenty loud enough for everything I use it for as well as being decent for music too.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

We love our Sonos Arc, but already had 2x Sonos One's to use as rears and limited space in our entertainment center. Our couch is only 10' away from the TV, so it's good enough for our space.

We also went this route a couple years ago when HDMI 2.1 receivers were less prevalent, prone to issues (Yamaha), and more expensive.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A receiver isn't the only option, there's a bunch of powered stereo speakers that sound better than a sound bar as well as stuff like the Wiim Amp.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the goodest flattest TV there is? I want to mount a TV against my wall with the utmost flatness. 40-50 inches probably.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Are there any reasonably priced non-receiver amp + bookshelf setups that can do Atmos with upward firing speakers built into the bookshelves or something?

The Sonos Arc's upward firing Atmos speakers are impressive in our space.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Corb3t posted:

We love our Sonos Arc, but already had 2x Sonos One's to use as rears and limited space in our entertainment center. Our couch is only 10' away from the TV, so it's good enough for our space.

We also went this route a couple years ago when HDMI 2.1 receivers were less prevalent, prone to issues (Yamaha), and more expensive.

yeah our arc and sub setup rocks despite what audio heads will try and say about them suckin

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I have an LG OLED55C9PLA from 2019. I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer, 65" OLED TV. I don't really care about the latest release but I'm wondering if the LG OLED65CS6LA would be a decent upgrade, other than the screen size? It's the most affordable LG OLED at that size, at £1,549. I wouldn't want to spend any more than £1600.

Oh, used for gaming with the Xbox Series X, so 4K@120FPS, and streaming content from an Apple TV 4K. I have a Q Acoustics M4 soundbar so I'm not worried about the sound quality from the TV speakers.

Edit: Would the Samsung QE55S90C be a picture upgrade over my current TV? It's £1099 if I stick with 55".

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 20, 2023

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Tatsuta Age posted:

yeah our arc and sub setup rocks despite what audio heads will try and say about them suckin

I’m with you. Overpriced? Yep absolutely. But minimal cables, works seamlessly via ARC enough so my daughter and wife never have to fiddle with it, and sounds good enough. I have never watched a movie or tv show and wished for more or better sound.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

TheOneVader posted:

A dying cx?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Been trying to search, and not sure if they don't make this or I'm using the wrong terms. At my parents house, they have a long mantle that takes up most of a wall. There is a recessed cutout that is square shaped that you used to put a CRT or a small flat screen TV in. I'm wanting to get them a bigger TV, as their current 40" is like 20 years old at this point. However, the cutout is only big enough for the 40". It's too deep to mount an extendable mount to the back wall, so I am wondering if there's a mount that installs on the underside of a surface and then holds a tv basically up in the air. Wouldn't be going huge, probably 47-50 inches.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Been trying to search, and not sure if they don't make this or I'm using the wrong terms. At my parents house, they have a long mantle that takes up most of a wall. There is a recessed cutout that is square shaped that you used to put a CRT or a small flat screen TV in. I'm wanting to get them a bigger TV, as their current 40" is like 20 years old at this point. However, the cutout is only big enough for the 40". It's too deep to mount an extendable mount to the back wall, so I am wondering if there's a mount that installs on the underside of a surface and then holds a tv basically up in the air. Wouldn't be going huge, probably 47-50 inches.

I think i have seen kits that would fit your scenario for hanging televisions on RV ceilings but i remember them maxing out at around 42". Been a while so maybe they make bigger ones now

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

kri kri posted:

A dying cx?

I posted a picture a page or two back. Not sure what's wrong but there's this light band at the top of the screen that is slowly expanding downward. I filed a claim with All State Square Trade (bundled with my Costco purchase for 5 years total coverage) and they cut a check so I could buy a C3.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Are you sure it's too deep to mount an extendable arm? I've seen listings for some pretty long arm mounts out there. Although I can't vouch for any particular mount's quality myself.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is modifying the cutout an option? $20 worth of 2x4s and screws would be enough to build a bracket sturdy enough to mount a tv to.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

incogneato posted:

Are you sure it's too deep to mount an extendable arm? I've seen listings for some pretty long arm mounts out there. Although I can't vouch for any particular mount's quality myself.
The cubby is about 36" deep. Really odd dimensions. There are a couple mounts I've seen that go out like 38", but at that point, it just seems like too much to me and that it may eventually start to sag.

Enos Cabell posted:

Is modifying the cutout an option? $20 worth of 2x4s and screws would be enough to build a bracket sturdy enough to mount a tv to.
Yeah, the probable solution is going to be using a combination of flat bar and round stock, fab up some triangle shaped brackets, then just mount a standard wall mount onto that. Just wanted to make sure no one in here knew about something I've missed.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Would a ceiling mount not work in the space? There are also under cabinet mounts to look at, but those seem to target smaller TVs.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Finally got my C3 in and set up. I put in Planet Earth II and I'm actually surprised at how much better than the CX it looks. Loads brighter and the colors seem better. Very impressed.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Has anyone tried this HangSmart thing I keep getting ads for? Basically a giant anchor hanger like for pictures so you supposedly don’t need a stud.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Rtings has the Samsung S90C ahead of the LG C3 in the 65" category.

Currently have another LG OLED. We have Samsung phones so not sure if they would integrate better or not.

Any real world experience out there?

Mostly movies/streaming but some gaming from higher end PC and PS5 Xbox type stuff.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Krime posted:

Rtings has the Samsung S90C ahead of the LG C3 in the 65" category.

Currently have another LG OLED. We have Samsung phones so not sure if they would integrate better or not.

Any real world experience out there?

Mostly movies/streaming but some gaming from higher end PC and PS5 Xbox type stuff.

tl;dr: the Samsung is capable of producing brighter images and has better HDR color performance, but the LG supports the specific high end HDR format (Dolby Vision, as opposed to HDR10+) most commonly found on streaming services and physical media.

All of the other differences are basically noise. I can't speak to phone integration, but honestly, both smart OS's from both vendors suck donkeyballs and you should get an apple tv or nvidia shield or whatever.

The only place where the matching up the vendors can be handy is if you're using a soundbar or similar from the same manufacturer as your TV, you can often take advantage of some amount of integration. The quality of such features ranges from 'oh, it is convenient that my remote handles volume much better than if I had bought a vizio soundbar' to 'you get an extra center channel by using the TV's built in speaker and it's actually not bad' to all sorts of :gonk: in between.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Chevy Slyme posted:

The only place where the matching up the vendors can be handy is if you're using a soundbar or similar from the same manufacturer as your TV, you can often take advantage of some amount of integration. The quality of such features ranges from 'oh, it is convenient that my remote handles volume much better than if I had bought a vizio soundbar' to 'you get an extra center channel by using the TV's built in speaker and it's actually not bad' to all sorts of :gonk: in between.

The LG "WOW Orchestra" feature on my C2 and S80QY sucks poo poo, even with my Apple TV using the soundbar as a passthrough audio is delayed in a way that I can get it to sync even with going through the TV's audio latency settings. The Samsung Q Symphony thing works much better and far more seamlessly, but it has its own downsides, mainly being Tizen on the TV is probably the worst smart TV interface I've ever encountered.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Branch Nvidian posted:

The LG "WOW Orchestra" feature on my C2 and S80QY sucks poo poo, even with my Apple TV using the soundbar as a passthrough audio is delayed in a way that I can get it to sync even with going through the TV's audio latency settings. The Samsung Q Symphony thing works much better and far more seamlessly, but it has its own downsides, mainly being Tizen on the TV is probably the worst smart TV interface I've ever encountered.

Yeah, the LG stuff is a lot of the :gonk: in between right there; I haven't experienced the Samsung or Sony version but I've heard enough good things (especially about the latter) to believe that there's probably something to it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The latest LG update has made their OS laggy and annoying to use. What garbage.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The trick to LG TVs is to not create an LG profile on set-up, then immediately go into settings and switch the home display on start-up to be your receiver input and not the OS home screen.
Then immediately forget it is a smart TV. Hell, if you're bold, don't even connect it to your home network.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Vintersorg posted:

The latest LG update has made their OS laggy and annoying to use. What garbage.

Gotta incentivise you to buy the newest tv with the best minimum viable potato chip for that year :tinfoil:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Roku is the only built in TV OS that’s good imo. My old 2018 TCL that I gave to a friend still gets updates on it and is still snappy enough for 4K streaming.

Curious if those new Sharp OLEDs with it built in are any good. I know you don’t buy a tv for the os but I’d certainly consider one of those over an LG if they were decent enough.

What’s the best no lag hdmi switcher for gaming? I’d like something that just works and doesn’t require me to futz with another remote.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 24, 2023

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm sure this question is highly subjective per person and viewing space, but I may as well get some opinions from others' experiences.

We're mounting a new 75" in our living room. I bought a mount that can extend, tilt, and angle all about. But after thinking about it, it's highly unlikely we'll ever actually need angled viewing due to how the space is laid out. The only reason I could imagine wanting tilt is for a kid sitting on the floor playing games or something I guess? The TV will be mounted at eye height for the sofa 11' away (maybe ~30" or so off the floor or so?).

I'm considering returning the mount for a flush mount. In other people's experiences:

(1) How visually noticable is a mount that holds a TV 2.5” from the wall versus 1.25". I've never had a larger TV (or mounted one), so I can't really picture whether it's a noticeable difference.
(2) How likely is tilt to be useful in normal family room usage with a TV already mounted at eye height for a sofa?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Depends on where your ceiling lights are. I love tilt to be sure the screen won't reflect the light cans in my kitchen when turned on

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

incogneato posted:

I'm sure this question is highly subjective per person and viewing space, but I may as well get some opinions from others' experiences.

We're mounting a new 75" in our living room. I bought a mount that can extend, tilt, and angle all about. But after thinking about it, it's highly unlikely we'll ever actually need angled viewing due to how the space is laid out. The only reason I could imagine wanting tilt is for a kid sitting on the floor playing games or something I guess? The TV will be mounted at eye height for the sofa 11' away (maybe ~30" or so off the floor or so?).

I'm considering returning the mount for a flush mount. In other people's experiences:

(1) How visually noticable is a mount that holds a TV 2.5” from the wall versus 1.25". I've never had a larger TV (or mounted one), so I can't really picture whether it's a noticeable difference.
(2) How likely is tilt to be useful in normal family room usage with a TV already mounted at eye height for a sofa?

Honestly, the strongest use case for an articulating mount is it makes it worlds easier to access your TV’s various ports, which may or may not be of value to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

incogneato posted:

What kind of tv? Different viewing angles for different models. Rtings lists a score for viewing abngles or at least used to.