Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

and then what?

What do you want anyone to do about it?

Nothing, the reactions and the meltdowns would be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fanfic insert posted:

You can probably find some video content along the lines of "americans react to overseas mcdonalds/kfc" and extrapolate.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

a quarter of the imperial armed forces have dealt with hunger and that comes from RAND

holy loving lmao poo poo

new york times opinion piece about the benefits of mandatory fasting

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

zetamind2000 posted:

new york times opinion piece about the benefits of mandatory fasting

The importance of buying leather boots now so you have something to boil with your soup later.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Ardennes posted:

I am talking about the scene itself, other works doing their own thing may have a different message. If you are showing your own forces as brutal yet victorious, you aren’t being anti-war.

i think we are talking past each other, i was responding to you saying the scene would be forgotten

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

BillsPhoenix posted:

Ukraine war is limited. Proof of concept, not actually related.

Full scale war would jeopardize Taiwan chips short term. Israel has proven fortress Taiwan has limits.

Whenever you read about Taiwan in the Western press, it's portrayed as this defiant, isolated, plucky little island, holding off the Chinese invaders through bravery and it's modern military force. You'd never know that 400,000 Taiwanese live in mainland China and that Taiwan itself was getting nearly 3 million mainland tourists a year before Covid screwed up China's international travel.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

fanfic insert posted:

i don't think we'll ever see a reckoning like that

edit: someone is mad AND horny

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Megamissen posted:

i think we are talking past each other, i was responding to you saying the scene would be forgotten

It wouldn't have had the cultural impact without the (relative) invincibility of the forces on display. People constantly re-watch it because they want to see the US has angels of death coming in and "eradicating" the bad guys, the farther you move from that, the less people are going to care.

Later scenes in other films may play off of it but there is a reason why people remember the original the most..

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That whole scene is supposed to be a parody in the movie.

All that bombastic poo poo happens because some dumbfuck colonel wanted to go surfing on a beach.

That's also where the "Charlie don't surf" line comes from.

All the anti war parts from that movie have been stripped out and completely forgotten in popular culture. But even the stupid one liner that makes no sense outside of the context still lingers because it gets repeat in other pro war media like call of duty video games.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The best Vietnam war movie was Hamburger Hill. Fite me IRL.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

Hamburger Hill posting

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Huh,

quote:

The Battle of Hamburger Hill (13–20 May 1969) was a battle of the Vietnam War that was fought by US Army and Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) forces against People's Army of Vietnam (PAVN) forces during Operation Apache Snow. Though the heavily-fortified Hill 937, a ridge of the mountain Dong Ap Bia in central Vietnam near its western border with Laos, had little strategic value, US command ordered its capture by a frontal assault, only to abandon it soon thereafter. The action caused a controversy among both the US armed services and the public back home.

The battle was primarily an infantry engagement, with the US Airborne troops moving up the steeply sloped hill against well-entrenched troops. Attacks were repeatedly repelled by the PAVN defenses. Bad weather also hindered operations. Nevertheless, the Airborne troops took the hill through direct assault, causing extensive casualties to the PAVN forces.

Should have sent those guys to train Ukrainians on proper NATO doctrine of taking a defensive line with simple human wave tactics.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

Huh,

Should have sent those guys to train Ukrainians on proper NATO doctrine of taking a defensive line with simple human wave tactics.

I fail to see where this brings shareholder value to either Raytheon or Lockheed Martin.

How about some nice guided shells that cost 10 million each with a 50% failure rate or perhaps a wunderjet defeated by inclement weather with a sticker price approaching that of a whole frigate?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

That whole scene is supposed to be a parody in the movie.

All that bombastic poo poo happens because some dumbfuck colonel wanted to go surfing on a beach.

That's also where the "Charlie don't surf" line comes from.

All the anti war parts from that movie have been stripped out and completely forgotten in popular culture. But even the stupid one liner that makes no sense outside of the context still lingers because it gets repeat in other pro war media like call of duty video games.

It doesn't mean there isn't' a subtext to it though, which is the primary issue. Also, I would say more surreal amplification (since it was a pretty unique sequence at the time, Kilgore is a meathead but also paradoxical).

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

DancingShade posted:

Hamburger Hill tells us it was wrong to oppose the war because it made troops sad.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fish of hemp posted:

Hamburger Hill tells us it was wrong to oppose the war because it made troops sad.

Listen soldier the finest thing you can do in life is die for this pile of mud, now get up there.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Ardennes posted:

American war films are never anti-war because the US is invincible in them even if what they are doing is outright evil. Think if half the choppers got shot down during the Ride of the Valkyrie’s scene, what would people think? It would have probably been mostly forgotten about.

It would probably hit have more hard that after all that hatred and military build up, that the space cruiser was a hunk of poo poo and all of this was a pointless waste of time.

I mean

But anyway, if an anti war film is trying to convey the message that "war" (or at least, this war) was not just immoral or hellish due to the massive loss of life but also completely pointless in the end, is that really the best way to get it across? "This war was nonsensense because our military apparatus is trash and the enemy wiped the floor with us" doesn't quite evoke the same understanding of how a conflict was inherently unnecessary as "we were victorious, but gained nothing worthwhile".

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Fish of hemp posted:

I found my thrill on Hamburger Hill

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Zero Dark Loxley

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Sancho Banana posted:

evoke the same understanding of how a conflict was inherently unnecessary as "we were victorious, but gained nothing worthwhile".

kissinger_on_russia_and_eurasia.txt

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

I don't know why people are surprised about the criticism.

quote:

But anyway, if an anti war film is trying to convey the message that "war" (or at least, this war) was not just immoral or hellish due to the massive loss of life but also completely pointless in the end, is that really the best way to get it across? "This war was nonsensense because our military apparatus is trash and the enemy wiped the floor with us" doesn't quite evoke the same understanding of how a conflict was inherently unnecessary as "we were victorious, but gained nothing worthwhile".

Because victory in itself is "worthwhile" you instilled fear and terrorized those who opposed you. If it wasn't part of a ultimate victory, fine, but for that moment you were in control. But even if you don't have that...that is when you really start to wonder what this was all for.

A film that glorifies combat implicitly isn't providing an anti-war message.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Fish of hemp posted:

even worse than the common Vietnam movie trope that Vietnam was bad because it made the colonial troops sad :cry:

Which is part of an older trope that the true victim of colonialism is the poor imperial troop who must do bad things to support it (since the locals aren’t real people).

Though I don’t know that movie at all. I remember my dad watching Hamburger Hill endlessly but can’t recall a frame of it.

FuzzySlippers has issued a correction as of 13:28 on Dec 19, 2023

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

I remember it not being great but spending a noteworthy amount of time with the black GI's, which you don't really see in the other classic Vietnam films

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

Huh,

I'll look for the book, but US company and platoon level officers in Vietnam would form line and order a frontal assault any time they were shot at, even if it was a few cracks of scattered rifle fire. It was actually a fairly big problem.

DancingShade posted:

Listen soldier the finest thing you can do in life is die for this, now get up there.

Ardennes posted:

Because victory in itself is "worthwhile"

:hmmyes:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I found my thrill
On Hamburger Hill
On Hamburger Hill
When I found you

The moon stood still
On Hamburger Hill
And lingered until
My dream came true

The wind in the willow played
Love's sweet melody
But all of those vows you made
Were never to be

Though we're apart
You're part of me still
For I just got killed
On Hamburger Hill

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I've always found it interesting that people talk a lot about pro war vs anti war messages in media but the context of the struggle is far more of an academic than popular subject about war movies.

Like if a movie is empathizing and humanizing American occupation troops that factually committed a shitload of horrific crimes on a daily basis against the Vietnamese - and even if it includes some depictions of individual atrocities but that does not include the context that the entire rationale for their presence was a imperial mission of oppression and destruction of colonized people, who gives a poo poo if it's "pro" or "anti" war or if it portrays combat as glorious or pointless, or the degree to which it emphasizes the tactical victories vs the human cost to the Americans? If someone made a movie about the Eastern front in WW2 that empathized the Wehrmacht, would you give a poo poo about what their intended messages were beyond that choice they made? Conversely, if someone made a movie glorifying the people of Vietnam struggling (and suffering) to throw off the yoke of colonial occupation, and ultimately succeeding, though at great cost, is the fact that that's a "pro war" message a problem?

The whole framing smells.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Those aren't voluntary struggles were people really have a choice; there is a reason why the overseas wars usually in American media have to be looked at with a different eye. The horror of war is coming no matter what in those cases, but the real crime though would be ignoring the broader horror that existed or an attempt to parlay a war of existence or liberation into broader nationalist goals.

That said, the version of All Quiet on the Western Front that came out supposedly was a mess than fumbled much of its message.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

After defeating the British at the Battle of Chippawa, General Brown pushed his army north and met the British near Niagara Falls on a road called Lundy’s Lane. Fought around a small hill of no strategic importance, the battle lasted until after midnight and was as fierce as any on the entire Canadian frontier during the war, drowning out even the sound of the Falls nearby.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
As an aside on war movies, I really really wish I wasn't exposed to them as a preteen. Fascist propaganda is designed specifically to appeal to young boys to recruit them for gangs, parties, and armies, and boy did it work for a time, especially since this was post 9/11 and it was cool to be fascist :smith:

Mommas don't let your boys watch Black Hawk Down or Band of Brothers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Those aren't voluntary struggles were people really have a choice; there is a reason why the overseas wars usually in American media have to be looked at with a different eye. The horror of war is coming no matter what in those cases, but the real crime though would be ignoring the broader horror that existed or an attempt to parlay a war of existence or liberation into broader nationalist goals.

That said, the version of All Quiet on the Western Front that came out supposedly was a mess than fumbled much of its message.

It was a terrible movie in many ways but the almost total lack of artillery was criminal

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

the almost total lack of artillery was criminal

But enough about Paths of Glory :xd:

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Slavvy posted:

It was a terrible movie in many ways but the almost total lack of artillery was criminal

a movie about famous artillery guy napoleon without artillery lol

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

skooma512 posted:

As an aside on war movies, I really really wish I wasn't exposed to them as a preteen. Fascist propaganda is designed specifically to appeal to young boys to recruit them for gangs, parties, and armies, and boy did it work for a time, especially since this was post 9/11 and it was cool to be fascist :smith:

Mommas don't let your boys watch Black Hawk Down or Band of Brothers.

This is pretty much why I joined the royal air force

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Megamissen posted:

a movie about famous artillery guy napoleon without artillery lol

Special Forces brain has so throughly lodged itself into popular imagination, and it doesn't help that every game that includes artillery inevitably creates a lot of complaints about how overpowering it is.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

Special Forces brain has so throughly lodged itself into popular imagination, and it doesn't help that every game that includes artillery inevitably creates a lot of complaints about how overpowering it is.

No weapon in any game is allowed to be mightier than the tricked out assault rifle. Including artillery, land mines and anything with a direct fire cannon.

Also soldiers can eat more bullets than a James Cameron terminator.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cookie Cutter posted:

This is pretty much why I joined the royal air force

Dambusters or Battle of Britain?

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...

FuzzySlippers posted:

I think you are overestimating contemporary American ability. America can say they want to build bases there and maybe sign some treaties with an eye towards doing so, but that's a far distance from actually building and operating them and then using them to threaten China. This is not the America that finally succeeded at technowar in Kuwait, invaded Iraq, or even orchestrated the destruction of Libya. The empire is weaker and more schizophrenic than ever. Just having any consistency in policy is extremely difficult much less combining policy with action.

Far from the US being unable to defend Taiwan I'm not sure they can even mount a credible defense of it. I presume this in part explains the jittery nature of US diplomacy around Taiwan where it wants to be muscular but only to a point.

It's also possible no one is seriously considering war with China and the Pivot To Asia is just because the blob got bored with trying to war game a solution to imperial projects that are unwinnable for political reasons. While wargaming with other major powers always ends with "and then nukes come out never mind game over" you can still have some fun with Clancy-ish Fulda Gap scenarios before that point.

I think most posters here know this, but I'm not predicting a future US military build up in that area.

It's already started. Here's one of many - publicly available examples. https://www.eurasiantimes.com/game-on-with-china-us-to-restore-tinian-airfield-once-home/?amp

Another poster already brought up the publicly available Chinese coast guard story, highlighting that China isn't just passive about the situation.

I'm not saying the US will contain China. I am saying they are actively building permanent military installations in the south China Sea and nearby.

I'm predicting this leads to a limited hot war with China, that Americans will struggle with very likely losing, and a lack of escalation. It's not something Americans are used to.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

Dambusters or Battle of Britain?

Of those two, Battle of Britain. That one air battle that takes place with no music, but halfway through the score kicks in right when one of the downed German planes hits the water? loving sublime. But the big one for me growing up was this:

"You can't kill a squadron."

Cookie Cutter has issued a correction as of 23:17 on Dec 19, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
US F-35 Loses ‘Stealth Panel’ Flying Over The Pacific; Second Incident Reported From Kadena Air Base

On the morning of December 18, an F-35A Lightning II belonging to the US Air Force’s 356th Fighter Squadron touched down at the Japanese Kadena Air Base. In an unusual incident, it was discovered that a vital component of the stealth aircraft was missing when it landed.

After the incident came to light, a spokesperson of the Air Force said that the advanced stealth fighter that returned to its Okinawa base without a panel might have lost the part over the Pacific Ocean.

https://www.eurasiantimes.com/us-f-35-loses-stealth-panel-flying-over-the-pacific-second/

Literally falling apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The Chinese used dragons to steal the panel in flight so they could copy it, their only means of acquiring new technology.