Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Love Texas slowly becoming "Its everyone for themselves"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Gotta love how deregulation always works out for the little guy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Just a natural extension of the principle that cops don't have the responsibility to protect anyone.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

This will provide work for the gig economy! Dudes could make giant hamster wheel and move them around to provide a valuable service!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Just a natural extension of the principle that cops don't have the responsibility to protect anyone.
The country's overriding legal theory seems to be "gently caress you, peasant" so this fits.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

It weirds me out to see people bring up Castle Rock v. Gonzales as if ruling that the 14th amendment doesn't guarantee police protection means that federal and state law can't do so. It seems like the kind of interpretation police unions would be interested in promoting.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

It weirds me out to see people bring up Castle Rock v. Gonzales as if ruling that the 14th amendment doesn't guarantee police protection means that federal and state law can't do so. It seems like the kind of interpretation police unions would be interested in promoting.

Absent laws that guarantee that protection, official disinterest is the unwritten law of the land.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CommieGIR posted:

Love Texas slowly becoming "Its everyone for themselves"

Looking forward to their secession vote passing next year costing the orange one 38 electoral votes.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

stealie72 posted:

The country's overriding legal theory seems to be "gently caress you, peasant" so this fits.

Careful now. Pointing this out is how you get single emoticon replies!

Though now I'm wondering what the market for generator trucks will be like in Texas this winter. Do you think if someone started an electricity club so kids have heating they'd also get executed by the FBI?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Some dude in Delaware really picked the wrong night/location to go out drunk driving.

https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove/status/1736763122445164828?t=MxD1uyaxs3ylmYnVM96ahA&s=19

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Tiny Timbs posted:

A while back read about a major Texas city’s police union having such an absurdly poorly negotiated contract that the city was on the hook to pay for attorneys for cops during divorce hearings. It was so one sided that when the city pushed to get it revised the police conceded ok yeah we may have gone too far.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mr. Nice! posted:

You don't even have to go back a full century for an empirical example of how government deregulation almost destroyed the country. I used to be close friends with a staunch libertarian type, and whenever I'd bring poo poo up about how miserable the early 20th century was, and how organizations like the USDA, FDA, EPA, and OSHA were founded in blood, and he'd just go "I dunno about that, but the free market solves all problems, have you read Atlas Shrugged yet?" I feel bad for all the people in Texas that know anything about history.

It's especially stupid, because since regulation of the national electric grid has actually improved massively since that giant blackout in the NE.

Anyways, in somewhat less lovely than normal news, Catholic Priests can now bless same-sex unions. I'd love to see more, of course, but it's a step in the right direction.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Elviscat posted:

You don't even have to go back a full century for an empirical example of how government deregulation almost destroyed the country. I used to be close friends with a staunch libertarian type, and whenever I'd bring poo poo up about how miserable the early 20th century was, and how organizations like the USDA, FDA, EPA, and OSHA were founded in blood, and he'd just go "I dunno about that, but the free market solves all problems, have you read Atlas Shrugged yet?" I feel bad for all the people in Texas that know anything about history.

It's especially stupid, because since regulation of the national electric grid has actually improved massively since that giant blackout in the NE.

Anyways, in somewhat less lovely than normal news, Catholic Priests can now bless same-sex unions. I'd love to see more, of course, but it's a step in the right direction.

were they an engineer

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Contractor, all the self made man fallacy with none of the liberal education.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

Some dude in Delaware really picked the wrong night/location to go out drunk driving.

https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove/status/1736763122445164828?t=MxD1uyaxs3ylmYnVM96ahA&s=19

I think we have a new winner/recipient for the Worst Hangover Award.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

man was on the wrong end of a felony stop before he even had time to realize the airbag went off

"drat dude chill out y'all act like I ran over the president or somethin"

e: I count nine seconds from "CRUNCH" to "OPEN THE DOOR NOW"

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 18, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Somehow I neglected to mention Uvalde.

If any state in the Union believes that cops have no duty to protect, it's loving Texas.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

shame on an IGA posted:

man was on the wrong end of a felony stop before he even had time to realize the airbag went off

"drat dude chill out y'all act like I ran over the president or somethin"

e: I count nine seconds from "CRUNCH" to "OPEN THE DOOR NOW"

Took me a few times to piece together the events. I heard the motor revving and at first thought that was him having the bad day, but now I'm pretty sure the engine revving is some kind of motor blockade being put in place and homeboy getting a whooooole lot of attention really fast.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Jonny Quest posted:

I think we have a new winner/recipient for the Worst Hangover Award.

As soon as he made contact, it was at that moment he knew: he had hosed up.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Icon Of Sin posted:

As soon as he made contact, it was at that moment he knew: he had hosed up.

had to upload it because the twitter comments are all racist chuddy poo poo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
11th Circuit told Mark Meadows to get hosed and that he cannot remove his criminal prosecution to federal court. He can petition the SCOTUS for cert, but they likely deny it.

Opinion: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.ca11.84175/gov.uscourts.ca11.84175.11013125164.1.pdf

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Disney finally dropped Jonathan Majors after his guilty verdict today. Not sure if the wait & see approach was the smartest as it’s unclear if they have any idea where their big storylines are gonna go now. Guessing this ends with Downey Jr. & Evans getting huge paydays to return.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Man, they banked the entire MCU franchise on ONE guy. And turns out he's a POS.

Marvel is so hosed.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Bored As gently caress posted:

Man, they banked the entire MCU franchise on ONE guy. And turns out he's a POS.

Marvel is so hosed.

They'll just Rhodes him. Maybe a spiders man will say something like "huh, looks different in this universe".

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Disney finally dropped Jonathan Majors after his guilty verdict today. Not sure if the wait & see approach was the smartest as it’s unclear if they have any idea where their big storylines are gonna go now. Guessing this ends with Downey Jr. & Evans getting huge paydays to return.

I don't know why they would resurrect other characters and bring back uninterested actors when they can just recast a character, which has been done in multiple franchises across generations. They don't even need to say in the movie why Kang looks different.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea they’ve got a built-in story reason he could look any number of ways. Majors played a good angry psychopathic killer, but I’m not sure how much actual acting was there :v:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Who is this guy? Never heard of him or his character, but I haven't kept up with Marvel stuff at all.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Who is this guy? Never heard of him or his character, but I haven't kept up with Marvel stuff at all.

He was good in Creed III, and then he started playing a villain in the MCU around the time I gave up on keeping up with the MCU except for Spider-Man.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
He played Kang in Antman and the Wasp: Quantumania, and He Who Remains and Victor Timely in Loki seasons 1 and 2.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kang is one of the cosmic scale bad guys that mostly fought with high powered comic book heroes who went to space a lot like Fantastic Four. He is likely to be the big bad who shows up in mid credits scenes as the puppet master of that movie's bad guy for the next 10 or 12 flicks until the heroes gang up and kick his rear end.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
All the cosmic stuff is awful and Kang is a bad villian and Majors as Kang was not well acted.

Give me more Daredevil.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Eric Adams has really been pulling out all the stops to outdo former mayor Rudolph Giuliani.

https://twitter.com/timodc/status/1736843813275242897

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
They'll just multiverse Jonathan Majors away and bring in a replacement.

What's been eating at me all day, and made me really drat sad, is this deal, that the voice of Max Payne died (blood plasma cancer):

https://twitter.com/SamLakeRMD/status/1736793893604086079

but since Max Payne Remastered is going to be a thing, either they're going to use all the lines he already did, or bring in someone close-ish. And I hope Elias Toufexis (Adam Jensen) picks up the phone call.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Eric Adams has really been pulling out all the stops to outdo former mayor Rudolph Giuliani.

https://twitter.com/timodc/status/1736843813275242897

“New York stop electing complete dogshit Republican turned Democrat idiots for mayors challenge”, difficulty: impossible.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

They'll just multiverse Jonathan Majors away and bring in a replacement.

What's been eating at me all day, and made me really drat sad, is this deal, that the voice of Max Payne died (blood plasma cancer):

https://twitter.com/SamLakeRMD/status/1736793893604086079

but since Max Payne Remastered is going to be a thing, either they're going to use all the lines he already did, or bring in someone close-ish. And I hope Elias Toufexis (Adam Jensen) picks up the phone call.

Max Payne standing over the crib of his dead baby: “I never asked for this.”

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

facialimpediment posted:

poo poo. Max Payne was probably my first dose of noir as a kid. I'll have to give those remasters a shot. And maybe finish 3, which never clicked for me... felt like they'd just shoehorned Payne into a fairly generic action plot, but maybe I just didn't get far enough in and had lost my limited tolerance for third-person shooters.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Max Payne 3 multi-player ruled. All running around and action diving with dual sawn offs which, according to the post-match bullet ridden silhouettes, meant I was at the perfect elevation to pepper a lot of nerd's junk with buckshot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/elbridgecolby/status/1736519026321272963?s=46

You may ask, why am I posting some extremely dumb take misunderstanding basics of power projection since antiquity from some random on twitter?

Well, check the twitter bio and his website’s resume

quote:

Earlier in his career, Colby served as the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Strategy and Force Development from 2017-2018. In that role, he served as the lead official in the development and rollout of the Department’s preeminent strategic planning guidance, the 2018 National Defense Strategy (NDS). The 2018 NDS shifted the Department of Defense’s focus to the challenges to U.S. security interests posed first and foremost by China, followed by Russia; emphasized restoring the Joint Force’s warfighting edge against these major power competitors; and stressed the importance of clearly focusing on these priorities over lesser interests. Colby also served as the primary Defense Department representative in the development of the 2017 National Security Strategy.

It’s one thing to know the Trump admin was randomly appointing people to posts but it’s another thing to see it.

Like… China will probably be loving ecstatic if the US just wanted them to police the seas from the Suez to… idk loving Alaska other than a small area around Taiwan?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

https://twitter.com/elbridgecolby/status/1736519026321272963?s=46

You may ask, why am I posting some extremely dumb take misunderstanding basics of power projection since antiquity from some random on twitter?

Well, check the twitter bio and his website’s resume

It’s one thing to know the Trump admin was randomly appointing people to posts but it’s another thing to see it.

Like… China will probably be loving ecstatic if the US just wanted them to police the seas from the Suez to… idk loving Alaska other than a small area around Taiwan?

buddy that isn't even the dumbest take on the first page of his timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

To explain Texas power situation.

The rest of the US is on connected power grids and the different power companies are responsible for their part of the grid. If a powerline goes down or there is a power outage it's their job to fix it.
More importantly, being on the power grid means that power can be accessed across different states and companies. Say for example if an accident happens and New York can't meet it's power needs, their power companies can just buy power from companies in Tennessee or Maine or wherever. This is why the rest of the US doesn't have the power issues Texas has when their is an environmental emergency.
This also encourages power companies to invest in power plants so they are not in a situation where they need to buy power and can sell excess power. (Almost all powerplants operate about 50% regardless of what type of power plant they are, btw)

In Texas, power companies only operate the power plants. ERCOT is in charge of the powerlines, billing people, etc. These power companies can only sell their power to Texas. So they don't have a reason to invest a lot of money into extra power that will never get sold.

Side Note: This information comes from my old man who worked most of his life for power companies and was around when our state was thinking about deregulating it's power like Texas did. It's possible Texas has changed some of their rules after my dad retired. But his telling lines up with other accounts.

This is a good video that goes into detail of about what happened. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08mwXICY4JM

TLDR; Texas is trying to blame power companies, when it's Texas who has put themselves in this position. Texas is hosed.