Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

bucksmash posted:

Speaking of money, it's been 22 years since the Jeopardy round went from 100-500 to 200-1000 and similar for Double Jeopardy. Anyone think we'll see another increase soon, or is it too risky for the show since super champs show up like Ken or James or Amy who can potentially walk away with six figures in a single game?
With what they're saving on Alex's salary I would think they could. But I'd also imagine syndicated OTA shows might not bring in as much money as they used to?

With all the superchamps in recent years, Jeopardy still gets "look at these huge winnings!" headlines, so it might not be necessary. But yeah they should increase the 2nd and 3rd place payouts for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
From what I remember from the Inside Jeopardy podcast they have increased the values in regular play.

3rd place gets $2,000
2nd place gets $3,000
1st keeps the money and comes back.

The only reason we forgot was a good chunk of this season was the neverending tournament of tournaments.

I don't think they'll increase the values on the board anytime soon, but only because of budget of television being reduced almost across the board.

What's also wild is the values on Stephen Fry's version of jeopardy in the UK and Australia

£25/50/75/100/150 (for two rounds)
£50/100/150/200/300
Final.

And

$50/100/150/200/300
$100/200/300/400/600

But then again, I'm going to wait and see with those two versions.

I'm happy Ken is the sole host, I do wish Mayim success on another Sitcom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPM3uWhIA3o

Also happy that good friend of mine Brian is going to the ToC.

I think it's still a bit sad guy with Pringle Guy hair and mustache gets compared to one of the worst people on earth. But, I'm hoping this is a good redemption story for him.

Jeopardy is still such a delightful show

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They've been doing SO many tournaments since Bialik got signed on? Glad I skipped out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TelevisedInsanity posted:

From what I remember from the Inside Jeopardy podcast they have increased the values in regular play.

3rd place gets $2,000
2nd place gets $3,000
1st keeps the money and comes back.

They have not. Third place still gets $1,000 and second place gets $2,000.

Even $2,000 is rough. I remember back in 2006, my ex-wife and I flew out to the area from Dubuque, Iowa, for a friend's wedding in the area. I believe our hotel was in Torrance, and the actual wedding was at some ritzy spot 40 minutes away and the reception was in downtown LA. We minimized expenses as much as we could, but between airfare, transportation and food, those three days and two nights had me pulling an advance from my company because Jesus tap-dancing-Christ, Los Angeles is expensive.

Timby fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 19, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

You always have to feel a little bad for the people on Wheel who end up with the thousand dollar consolation prize. You go all that way out to LA to tape Wheel, visions of big dollar winnings and luxurious trips dancing in your head, and you barely make enough to cover room service.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Zesty posted:

They've been doing SO many tournaments since Bialik got signed on? Glad I skipped out.

It's been Ken hosting these, though. She -was- the special events person if that's what you meant.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

What's also wild is the values on Stephen Fry's version of jeopardy in the UK and Australia

£25/50/75/100/150 (for two rounds)
£50/100/150/200/300
Final.

And

$50/100/150/200/300
$100/200/300/400/600

All I can think of is Patton Oswalt's bit about British game shows compared to American ones.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What's the bit?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Khanstant posted:

What's the bit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdzIXkj1OfA

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thanks, scrolled right past that one looking for a more specific title haha.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

:lmao: owned by Molly Pitcher

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:lol: If looks could kill after what'shername won by a single dollar.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
wow, a $35,000 lead going into day 2

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
How Mayim Bialik Lost Her Role as the Main Host of ‘Jeopardy!’

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2023/12/27/24015707/mayim-bialik-jeopardy-main-host-history-ken-jennings-writers-strike

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Outside of all the bullshit she did and said, Sony offered to scale her back she tried to ultimatum them over it. Sony told her to gently caress off.

quote:

TMZ further reported that while Sony executives would like to maintain a relationship with Bialik, “Mayim made it clear it was all or nothing. As a result, we’re told Sony brass declined.”

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
The portion about the strike is interesting. A lot of people, myself included, were disappointed in Ken for not striking in solidarity, but this article makes his actions look much less sinister. I am curious if that would line up with the views of the unions or if Claire McNear is just making him look better in contrast.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The part about game shows being covered under different agreements is true, at least as far as I know.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
SAG-AFTRA explicitly allowed members to be on game shows & Network Code allowed it to be on the air.

The weird part is how much Sony bent over backwards for her and she still spit in their proverbial face. Almost as if she never wanted the job in the first place.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jokymi posted:

The portion about the strike is interesting. A lot of people, myself included, were disappointed in Ken for not striking in solidarity, but this article makes his actions look much less sinister. I am curious if that would line up with the views of the unions or if Claire McNear is just making him look better in contrast.

From my understanding the unions told people covered by the network contracts like Ken (daytime, soaps, game shows are on different contracts than the movie studios) to keep working because walking off in solidarity undermines the whole process by not fulfilling the union’s existing agreements. People getting mad at him for scabbing are incorrect, he did exactly what they told him to.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Luigi Thirty posted:

From my understanding the unions told people covered by the network contracts like Ken (daytime, soaps, game shows are on different contracts than the movie studios) to keep working because walking off in solidarity undermines the whole process by not fulfilling the union’s existing agreements. People getting mad at him for scabbing are incorrect, he did exactly what they told him to.

Correct. Bialik walked and hit the strike lines because she is a member of the WGA. But Jennings is not a WGA member and he wasn't a scab.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

With her latest article just out, I remembered that McNear wrote a book about the history of Jeopardy and noticed the Kindle version was on sale for $2.99 if anyone is interested. Not sure how long that will last.

https://www.amazon.com/Answers-Form-Questions-Definitive-Insiders-ebook/dp/B085NKBZLH/

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I should read it but I hate her early articles so much that I don’t want to give her money

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

It sounds like even with her bad performance and kooky political views that piss everyone off, she would have kept the job if she had simply not said "I don't watch Jeopardy, I'm dumb as hell and basically unqualified and I don't understand why people like the show so much" in one interview after another..

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
God Bialik sucks as a person (and actress).

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Mayim Bialik making a brief cameo as herself in the Mafia! remake nobody asked for

Wait, what?? Where? I just beat that game a few days ago and don't remember anything like this.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The movie, not the game. Trebek has a cameo

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Island Nation posted:

SAG-AFTRA explicitly allowed members to be on game shows & Network Code allowed it to be on the air.

Does this mean Wil Wheaton did a public mea culpa for his "THE NORTH REMEMBERS" speech about Ken on Facebook, or is that idle threat still in the air?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

blast0rama posted:

Does this mean Wil Wheaton did a public mea culpa for his "THE NORTH REMEMBERS" speech about Ken on Facebook, or is that idle threat still in the air?

I doubt he has, I don't recall if the AFL-CIO head has either for similar reasons.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

blast0rama posted:

For shooting his mouth off? When did that happen? It never happened.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

imo some picky rulings for today's show. Ofc gallons is what she's talking about. And same for boiling water. There would be no unclear communication for what people were talking about in both of those answers. Like "it's possible they mean boiling point of coca cola, not water like 99.9% of boiled egg recipes would use."

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Darth Brooks posted:

For shooting his mouth off? When did that happen? It never happened.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php/?id=100003496539869&story_fbid=5947355325390960

wil from tabletop posted:

This is a VERY small town, Ken Jennings, and we will all remember this. Your privilege may protect you right now, but we will *never* forget. #WGAStrong
EDIT TO ADD: This is getting more attention than expected or wanted, and dont want this to be about me being disappointed by a choice Ken Jennings made. want attention and energy focused on supporting the writers who are fighting for their professional existence, opposed by billionaires who are keen to ruin my entire industry.
offer one example of how outrageous the AMPTP's position is: David Zaslav is the new CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery. Last year, he was paid abouta quarter of a BILLION dollars. That's one man who is already a billionaire.
Quoting Adam Conover, "That's about the same level as what 10,000 writers are asking him to pay all of us collectively."
The needs of the many outweigh the greed of the few, or the one, y'all.

And that isn't even the worst of it. I haven't gotten into the issues of what are called mini rooms, and how we will all deal with the emergence of Al. It's loving terrible.
The WGA is not being unreasonable. stand with my fellow union members, and urge you to do the same. EDITED AGAIN ON 22 MAY:
The National Enquirer asked for a comment: To Whom It May Concern: The National Enquirer is preparing to publish a story reporting Wil Wheaton has publicly threatened Jeopardy host Ken Jennings for crossing the writer's picket line.
The story quotes Mr. Wheaton's Facebook message which stated, "This is a VERY small town, Ken Jennings, and we will all remember this." It also points out that Mr. Wheaton is close friends with Mr. Jennings' competition for permanent hosting duties on Jeopardy Mayim Bialik.

I responded:
Your clumsy efforts to misrepresent me, to mislead your readers, to distract from the issues underlying the strike, have not gone unnoticed. But since you asked, let me be clear: I didn't threaten anybody. That's laughable. I've been threatened. It sounds like, "be careful on your way home tonight." It doesn't sound like "I will remember that you betrayed us when it was convenient, and other people will, too." support organized labor without exception and will for my fellow union members. Hollywood is a notoriously dishonest industry that runs on relationships and trust. We tell stories and make stuff up for a living! We need to know who we can trust and who we can't; who stands with us, and who will sell us out. It's not a threat; it's a fact.

You would do well to inform your readers that regulatory capture, the monopolization of entertainment companies, and the incomprehensible greed of a handful of billionaires threaten my entire industry and countless peoplel love. WGA (and possibly my union, SAG-AFTRA) members are fighting for our careers, our families, our healthcare and the future of our industry. The billionaires across the table are fighting for bigger yachts. I'm deeply disappointed with Ken. I think he's a great host, an obviously sensational player, and the couple times I've met him, I've enjoyed our conversations. The fact is, he has an enormously high profile, and his choices affect the writers of his show and the entire WGA in a meaningful way that people pay attention to. He is certainly more influential, and can have a more direct impact, than me. I hoped he would use that privilege to put the needs of the many ahead of the greed of the few. He didn't, and speaking only for myself, I will remember that. That isn't a threat; it's keeping a promise to my fellow workers, and honoring the sacrifices of all who came and fought before us.

I think this is what was referenced, but, television rules are weird and if we can go from Claire's article

Claire McNear posted:

Sources close to the show say this stand was not exactly what it seemed. Jeopardy! and other game shows are guided by a distinct set of union provisions known as the Network Television Code, meaning that while Jeopardy!’s writers are members of the WGA and thus were part of the strike—many were prominent figures on picket lines in Los Angeles and New York—the rest of the staff and crew were not. SAG-AFTRA—which began its own strike in July and of which Bialik and Jennings are both members—explicitly advises non-striking members to continue to work per the terms of their contracts; to do otherwise can weaken the union’s negotiating power because it indicates that members might not follow the letter of the contract.

Is the season of neverending tournaments over yet?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I think this is what was referenced, but, television rules are weird and if we can go from Claire's article

Yep. That’s the post.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php/?id=100003496539869&story_fbid=5947355325390960

I was being sarcastic.

If he was smart Will would quietly "No comment" this one to death.

Now watch him double down and never give up his righteous anger over a subject nobody else cares about anymore.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 31, 2023

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Not until April. We still have the rest of the Second Chance tournament, another Wild Card tournament, and then the ToC before regular episodes resume.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

quote:

But since you asked, let me be clear: I didn't threaten anybody. That's laughable. I've been threatened.

lol the classic "no u"

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

We already have the perfect reply

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/351533474349461504

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Hey, Stephen Fry is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DnCkEwJOdY

Also here's wheel, but that's for the game show mega thread .

https://youtu.be/V_Yfp2QdJHo?si=RajBOALr4fbl7Z95

E: it premiered tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpSKeJYOmTw

TelevisedInsanity fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 2, 2024

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm watching the first episode of UK (hooray VPNs) and it's a bit rough honestly. The first clue read about novels explained badly is about a short story. Stephen bungled the full term of a acronym and they kept it (No budget for a retape?) & a clue about nosebleeds advocated for tilting your head back which I know from experience is incorrect.

They also started the game in the middle position. He also said that responses had to start with what or who and went on a fairly long tangent on Oscar Wilde's grave. I guess it's padding due to being a hour (why?)

I understand it'll be different but IMO needs some tweaking. Stephen is a better host than Mayim at least.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I've got to be in the <0.1% of people who got the Jazz & Trap question last night. RIP Takeoff.

Relatedly, here is an orchestral performance from producer Metro Boomin who is responsible for a lot of the Atlanta sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEGpWo7ethQ&t=3867s

The Sean fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I did get that as well. It's not my cup of tea but ignoring its influence in music is foolhardy.

On that note, I've watched the first week on the UK Jeopardy so I have some thoughts:

The first episode with hindsight as I noted is a bit rough so feel free to start with episode 2 onward
This is not a 1 to 1 conversion of the US version. This has to fit with UK daytime TV standards (de facto and de jure) so temper your expectations. It's a budget Jeopardy more akin to the Fleming era.
The pace of play is definitely slower and you will feel like wanting a button to speed the show up about 25%
It's a bit odd how the 1st-4th clues in a category go in increments of £25 (£50 in Double) but the difference doubles for the last clue
About a third of clues will be UK specfic. Also, there will likely be a clue about Michelle Obama, I don't know why.
Apparently, some the contestants have been in other quiz shows in the UK. Given how they played, James would've chewed them up for (English) breakfast then flexed like Shawn Michaels before a Wrestlemania match. To be fair, he'd do it to us too.
Finally, there's Stephen. If you're familar with his work on QI, his shows with Hugh Laurie or elsewhere, there's no change here. He can get long winded about responses though I suspect padding is involved and goes into TMI about his own life (read: any part of it) on occasion (I skip the interviews so no idea there) but he's likely the reason the show is on the air.

Overall, I'd say it's a worse version but not a bad version

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 6, 2024