Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i say keep the façade and build new behind it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

freebooter posted:

Nah I would prefer to keep most of the 19th architectural heritage of inner-city Melbourne, it's aesthetically pleasing and half the reason I still live here instead of moving back to the affordable but off-puttingly Ballardian environs of Perth where everything was built 5 minutes ago and looks like Phoenix Arizona.

You’re free to buy and maintain as much of it as you want

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I got a question in my linguistics class about particular things that the students disliked in heard speech and I didn't have a good answer because descrpitvism and stuff, but I said the transer of the ugly nerd term utilise, replacing the word use outside of dim managerial terminology. And some kid piped up all "uh actually they have their own very appropriate uses"

And I was like man I hate being in introductrionary classes with 18 year olds

Square brackets misusage in that quote makes me sympathise with the usage fuckhead

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 18, 2023

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

The Peccadillo posted:

I got a question in my linguistics class about particular things that the students disliked in heard speech and I didn't have a good answer because descrpitvism and stuff, but I said the transer of the ugly nerd term utilise, replacing the word use outside of dim managerial terminology. And some kid piped up all "uh actually they have their own very appropriate uses"

Square brackets misusage in that quote makes me sympathise with the usage fuckhead

misutilisation :eng101:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Non Compos Mentis posted:

i say keep the façade and build new behind it

heritage types get very angry when you suggest that

personally I agree though. husk em and fill em with modern apartments.

people in Melbourne moan about the loss of "the paris of the southern hemisphere" when most of the old buildings in the CBD were torn down, but those buildings, while having ornate facades, were built like poo poo, cutting all kinds of corners to pump them out during the boom.

last time they were reno-ing St Paul's, you could see the brick construction under the huge "solid" bluestone foundations. just a ~5cm bluestone veneer.

builders have always been fly by night grifters

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Literally throwing away the victories of the union movement to protect heritage listed buildings because you want more loving apartments. I hope you rot.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mola Yam posted:

heritage types get very angry when you suggest that

personally I agree though. husk em and fill em with modern apartments.

people in Melbourne moan about the loss of "the paris of the southern hemisphere" when most of the old buildings in the CBD were torn down, but those buildings, while having ornate facades, were built like poo poo, cutting all kinds of corners to pump them out during the boom.

last time they were reno-ing St Paul's, you could see the brick construction under the huge "solid" bluestone foundations. just a ~5cm bluestone veneer.

builders have always been fly by night grifters

I saw that doco Lost City of Melbourne. It kind of laments all the destruction of the 50s and 60s while also admitting that most of them were completely unsuitable for modern living and working.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
keep historic buildings and knock down the old poo poo boxes

blocking the redevelopment of old shops just because they are old is dumb, especially when its shops that have been empty for ages because the landlords charge exorbitant rents for them

repossess them buildings :unsmigghh:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I don't mind getting rid of the insides of old buildings but I do like the developers being forced to either keep or work with the facades. There's enough grey boxes popping up in the city without some being forced to at least play nice with the general environment. I like how much of Sydney City has been kept with a sandstone theme, even if it's got a litany of other problems.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

This is the map of heritage protection implemented by local councils in Melbourne

https://x.com/heritage_why/status/1419886322680958976

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Peccadillo posted:

"Content"

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

EoinCannon posted:

I saw that doco Lost City of Melbourne. It kind of laments all the destruction of the 50s and 60s while also admitting that most of them were completely unsuitable for modern living and working.

That doco was really interesting because I had no idea about that part of Melbourne’s history. I understand why it was necessary but some of those art deco buildings were just beautiful and it’s sad they had to go.

If anyone is interested it’s on sbs here.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i am a staunch descriptivist but imo you can loathe usages of language and still treat them as valid linguistically but if i had a magic wish to straight up delete a word i would pick 'like' instantaneously and not even consider the broader linguistic usages of that word beyond as a placeholder

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

This is the map of heritage protection implemented by local councils in Melbourne

My aunt was trying to reno her little workers cottage in Richmond and the amount of poo poo you weren’t allowed to use in construction was staggering. I get that no one wants to live in a street full of grey, featureless rendered shitboxes but it still seemed a bit over the top

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i am a staunch descriptivist but imo you can loathe usages of language and still treat them as valid linguistically but if i had a magic wish to straight up delete a word i would pick 'like' instantaneously and not even consider the broader linguistic usages of that word beyond as a placeholder

Stop hating women

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
What's even the point of heritage listing?

Beyond protecting unique/interesting/historically significant buildings isn't it just sparkling nimbyism?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Stop hating women

hey thats sexist

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spookydonut posted:

What's even the point of heritage listing?

Beyond protecting unique/interesting/historically significant buildings isn't it just sparkling nimbyism?

It’s nimbyism with a fair bit of racism/classism for good measure.

Not only does it restrict increased density where there is access to services and infrastructure, it prevents *those people* from coming in and building their ugly houses.

I have no problem with having significant things listed on the state heritage register and protecting them, but local heritage is an absolute loving crock.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The overutilization of "like" as a stoppage only ever seems to bother me when I notice it in Chapo Trap House when I, like, notice him, like, utilising the term "like" instead of like a vocal, like, ellipses or comma

If I don't notice it just rolls off like water off a duck's back, but if I do occasionally it's all I can hear

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Blanket heritage overlays are disingenuous bullshit and the Vic state govt should follow NSW's lead, however at the other end of the spectrum you just know that the people who run that twitter account or the Sydney YIMBY one would happily tear down the entire inner city and replace it with Corbusian monoliths

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

freebooter posted:

Blanket heritage overlays are disingenuous bullshit and the Vic state govt should follow NSW's lead, however at the other end of the spectrum you just know that the people who run that twitter account or the Sydney YIMBY one would happily tear down the entire inner city and replace it with Corbusian monoliths

good

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

freebooter posted:

Once again, the people that love those buildings are free to buy them and protect them as long as they wish. Hell they could even buy them, chuck a covenant on the title prescribing what they want to keep, and then sell them on again.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Planning approvals are supposed to manage externalities like incompatible adjacent uses or access to daylight and privacy not to enforce some dipshits aesthetic preferences on the world at large and turn a city into a museum

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

All buildings should be a minimum of 20 stories, have only two exits and either be covered in combustible cladding or glass cut to make it a death ray when the sun hits it just so.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I understand the love of heritage buildings, but why not just enact rules on what the buildings facades look like? Bunch of heritage decoration rules?

I grew up in a suburb with something similar, it kept the whole place looking like it was still from the 1910s.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Buildings of historical significance should be heritage listed to some extent but do we really need thousands of examples of how lovely and moldy Terrace houses can get after 100 years of landlord neglect

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
there's definitely value in protecting buildings of historical significance etc. but it has definitely been taken to a ridiculous point in australian cities and mostly just serves to protect the interests of homeowners

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I worry that without heritage protections Melbourne CBD would look like the docklands. And be as attractive, energetic, and desirable to live in as the docklands

I agree that heritage protections are not fit for purpose but developers can't be trusted to make good buildings. They need more regulation and enforcement to make them do it properly

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 19, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
heritage list the ferris wheel at the docklands

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
gently caress they’re taking forever to remove that failure. No one even wants to be bothered selling the scrap

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

EoinCannon posted:

I worry that without heritage protections Melbourne CBD would look like the docklands. And be as attractive, energetic, and desirable to live in as the docklands

I agree that heritage protections are not fit for purpose but developers can't be trusted to make good buildings. They need more regulation and enforcement to make them do it properly

yes of course, buildings need to have decent standards which need to be enforced, and some level of heritage should remain, it just should be much more limited in scope than it currently is.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

they didnt heritage list the dragon roller coaster on the top floor of the myer centre so i consider the whole idea pointless

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
hmmm yes the alternatives are entire neighbourhoods of single family heritage homes or high rise 20 family deathtraps and there is no in-between.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

EoinCannon posted:

Everything will be a black and grey box eventually that's the new rule.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Heritage listing in Brisbane means poo poo as either the house accidentally catches fire or there’s no consequences for knocking it down.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
we should really be building underground

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
toowoomba won shittown of the year i'm guessing because of you know who

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Spookydonut posted:

toowoomba won shittown of the year i'm guessing because of you know who

It beat Port Pirie?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BrigadierSensible posted:

It beat Port Pirie?

It beat Townsville, they had the gong for the last two years and have been at the top of the list nearly every month.

It takes some serious loving staying power to beat Townsville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Nobody loves a winner like Kweenslan

Southern states BTFO it’s a beautiful day in Brisbane today, a city that has a rail network that works with trains on it.