Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hihohe posted:

They say he fried his brain by staring into the sun, course he probably wasnt too bright in the first place to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
"Are you wearing a bra?"

"It's a Combat Support Chassis!"

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
"We're not a peace family, we're more of a joy family!"
"But dad-"
"JOY!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Come to think of it, Operation Infinite Walrus seems way more like something Dr Venture (any of them) would cook up than something you'd usually see in KotH.

Pneub posted:

"Are you wearing a bra?"

"It's a Battle Ready Armor!"

Just to cross more cartoon streams.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Fishstick posted:

"We're not a peace family, we're more of a joy family!"
"But dad-"
"JOY!"

Its jesus peace not hippie peace

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BlueBayou posted:

Its jesus peace not hippie peace

common misunderstanding, Jesus was into peas

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

You are ruining our new holiday tradition...Christmas with the Niefkos.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It took me a while to realize that they didn't actually get Jimmy Carter to voice himself in that episode

What? They got Actual Ann Richards, it could have happened!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

haljordan posted:

Is ok?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I should've asked my wife for a SPORT CHAMPION sweater for Christmas.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

are there any late season episodes where hank isnt a complete knob ive been rewatching the show with my partner and my god the late seasons

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

GolfHole posted:

are there any late season episodes where hank isnt a complete knob ive been rewatching the show with my partner and my god the late seasons

I like the McMansion episode.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Unfortunately it's true, Hank does get preechy in a less funny/more annoying way near the end. Even most episodes where Hank is humbled only end with him being proven right all along, like in the episode where they go searching for sunken treasure and Hank realizes his friends don't like being around him. He starts the episode trying to be nicer and embrace having fun, but oops hank having fun almost kills the entire gang and now everyone likes Hank for being uptight.

Or when Hank ruined the "Ace of Diamonds" baseball game. Hank was a real jerk, but it's okay because the Ace is an even bigger jerk who takes money from kids and cheats on his wife.

It's less endearing than earlier poo poo like the boggle episode. Hank starts out only caring about the Lawnmower expo and thinks boggle is cringe, but he has a change of heart and abandons the expo to be Peggys cheerleader/coach. Later seasons don't really have that magic.

That said, late season KotH is still hilarious

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

BOGGLE?!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Punkinhead posted:

Unfortunately it's true, Hank does get preechy in a less funny/more annoying way near the end. Even most episodes where Hank is humbled only end with him being proven right all along, like in the episode where they go searching for sunken treasure and Hank realizes his friends don't like being around him. He starts the episode trying to be nicer and embrace having fun, but oops hank having fun almost kills the entire gang and now everyone likes Hank for being uptight.

Or when Hank ruined the "Ace of Diamonds" baseball game. Hank was a real jerk, but it's okay because the Ace is an even bigger jerk who takes money from kids and cheats on his wife.

It's less endearing than earlier poo poo like the boggle episode. Hank starts out only caring about the Lawnmower expo and thinks boggle is cringe, but he has a change of heart and abandons the expo to be Peggys cheerleader/coach. Later seasons don't really have that magic.

That said, late season KotH is still hilarious

ray... roy?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

He's right, I should be ashamed of myself...but I never am!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The one where he blackmails Reverend Stroup into letting him take his preferred pew is nuts to me.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

It took me a while to realize that they didn't actually get Jimmy Carter to voice himself in that episode

What? They got Actual Ann Richards, it could have happened!

Carter probably was out of reach appearance fee wise, but Richards was affordable since she was only a governor.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFT58Cz_5bA

It's that time of year again!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

haljordan posted:

That delivery is one of my faves in the entire series

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it's been said a lot that like a lot of sitcoms, later seasons of KotH have most of the characters become caricatures of themselves and lose the nuances that made them interesting, Peggy and Luanne are particular victims of it, and Hank goes from a riff on good ol' boys to just being an idealised one.

Not sure how much Dale, Bill and Boomhauer get that, but they were already pretty goofy characters from the start, so maybe they're immune. Actually I think that often is the cause of the drift; the writers start writing everyone like the goofiest characters and forget how the interplay is supposed to go.

Wondering if it might be Mike Judge being less directly involved too, since as been said, a common theme in a lot of his work is even goofy characters like Beavis and Butthead are written with a surprisingly careful level of nuance and tone that makes them weirdly grounded and even relatable despite doing ridiculous things all the time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Beavis and Butt-head kind of goes the opposite direction, if anything, because the new seasons like to make Beavis slightly more intelligent/cognizant than he used to be just to punish him more.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Punkinhead posted:

It's a combat bowl :)

oh god what if they have the doorbell hooked to his nipples!? :spams the door bell frantically:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Beavis and Butt-head kind of goes the opposite direction, if anything, because the new seasons like to make Beavis slightly more intelligent/cognizant than he used to be just to punish him more.

gently caress,I keep forgetting to check that out.

The first reboot was great.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The one where he blackmails Reverend Stroup into letting him take his preferred pew is nuts to me.

The Mrs. Wakefield and ZZ Top episodes get a lot of hate but man, this episode truly sucks rear end. Both a boring plot where Hank is 100% the rear end in a top hat and on top of it also has a late-season "Hank is Always Right" ending. Irredeemable!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mantis42 posted:

You can do a lot with a character who's just smart enough to be extra stupid. Like I've said about Peggy, at least in earlier seasons, where she's legitimately fairly intelligent but her insecurities and overestimating her own abilities lead her down hilariously stupid paths.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Local small-town churches in Texas can get petty as hell. That episode was pretty on-point.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Was that the one with the megachurch? It had some great bits.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

You gotta be right with God to go to my church, Honey

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've said it before but the actual plot of the megachurch episode is real dumb but the antics within are good. Also the megachurch pastor is voiced by Big Boi which is great.

"My church is made of steel." Interesting trait to extol lmao

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Fishstick posted:

You gotta be right with God to go to my church, Honey

I like Buck's church. I mainly find it amusing that he goes to any church at all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How can anyone not love the subplot with Peggy swooping in as the pastor’s assistant and his gradual shift to from relief to “oh no.”

The constant nagging for the customer service surveys was too real.

That episode and the episode where Bobby joins the youth ministry really did capture the 2000s megachurch experience.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
PRAISE HIM!

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Mantis42 posted:

When the fire starts telling him to do things and just wants to make him a good citizen. :(

Or when they are watching Katy Perry and smacks butthead in the balls for saying he isnt a firework

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

haljordan posted:

I like Buck's church. I mainly find it amusing that he goes to any church at all.

There's a million bucks in the south lol

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

haljordan posted:

The right church is as good of a business networking opportunity as joining the Rotary.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

stealie72 posted:

The right church is as good of a business networking opportunity as joining the Rotary.

Ted Wassanasong knows this. That's why he's Episcopal now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He should have become methodist then

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

haljordan posted:

Ted Wassanasong knows this. That's why he's Episcopal now.

poo poo. wrong denomination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

SettingSun posted:

"My church is made of steel." Interesting trait to extol lmao

I always wondered the same thing… it has to be a reference to something, right?

It’s definitely not a reference to this but for some reason I’m always reminded of the Conan movie with James Earl Jones with the “flesh vs steel” cult.