Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
One weird thing about Hilda is that the end of the title sequence feels different since nowadays I actually know who "Grimes" is. I do really like that song, but that woman is a weird person.

Also nowadays a lot more people would know who Hilda's voiceactor, Bella Ramsey is. But she certainly sounds mire British than Ellie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Also nowadays a lot more people would know who Hilda's voiceactor, Bella Ramsey is. But she certainly sounds mire British than Ellie.

They're cool, they've been in everything from The Great to Ted Lasso, (but they're a they)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wait, Bella Ramsey was in the live action Last of Us series? Did they fake an American accent or was Ellie just British in that version?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Larryb posted:

Wait, Bella Ramsey was in the live action Last of Us series? Did they fake an American accent or was Ellie just British in that version?

Brits are usually really good at faking American accents. It doesn’t work the other way very often.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

They're cool, they've been in everything from The Great to Ted Lasso, (but they're a they)

Fair enough. Let's just assume "she" was refering to the character Hilda. I think I actually ment that because it sounds weird to compare Ramsey to Ellie.

Larryb posted:

According to them a whole lot of cursing was involved while learning an American accent. They sound nothing alike. Ellie is a angry girl who basically spits every sentence in your face, which fits her well.
I'd say that's an impressive vocal range, but I've listened to audiobooks where every character has a distinct voice all spoken by the same person. Like literally dozens of characters you can discern from a spoken sentence. Some narrators cam do this insanity on the fly when first reading the text. That is a dark art I will never fathom.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Brits are usually really good at faking American accents. It doesn’t work the other way very often.

Well that's not true

*clears my throat to do a Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins voice*

'ELLO 'ELLO WHAT'S ALL THIS THEN, GUV?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yah dobbers be eatin' ma haggis?

It's part of the British accent, right?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 9, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Fair enough. Let's just assume "she" was refering to the character Hilda. I think I actually ment that because it sounds weird to compare Ramsey to Ellie.

According to them a whole lot of cursing was involved while learning an American accent. They sound nothing alike. Ellie is a angry girl who basically spits every sentence in your face, which fits her well.
I'd say that's an impressive vocal range, but I've listened to audiobooks where every character has a distinct voice all spoken by the same person. Like literally dozens of characters you can discern from a spoken sentence. Some narrators cam do this insanity on the fly when first reading the text. That is a dark art I will never fathom.

I never saw the live action TLoU series but how were they overall compared to Ashley Johnson out of curiosity?

Also the majority of Hilda’s central cast consisted of native Brits right?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Honestly, by the end I still prefered Johnson, because she did pheonemenal voicework. But Ramsey was perfectly fine and their physical acting was good too. In general, the series was really good. A nice cast, high production values and some reasonable diversions from the source material while sticking to most of it.

I looked at the Hilda IMDB page earlier and I don't know any other of thise actors and don't really feel like digging deeper.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Larryb posted:

How are the Hilda comics/books out of curiosity (I know the cartoon expanded on things a fair bit at least)?

Fine? I guess?
If I had children they would make for lovely bedtime stories or whatever, but there’s nothing particularly remarkable about them that isn’t done better in the show, and they’re kind of pricey because afaik they’re only sold as individual hardbacks

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the first 5 comics are called Hildafolk for some reason and the kids novels seem to be adaptions of the show with illustrations here and there (though the ones regarding Season 3 came out before the show did)

But yeah, near as I can tell the cartoon/movie is hands down the best way to experience the series

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 9, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I can do a passable drunk Alec Guinness/Tom Hardy as Bane, but that’s it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uhh, they’re not in either of those shows. Who are you mixing them up with?

Anyway Hilda s3 was wonderful, what a show, I will miss it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Anyway Hilda s3 was wonderful, what a show, I will miss it

I kind of wish there was more if only so they could further explore some of the new cast members like Louise but I’m overall satisfied with what we got (and again, based on what little I’ve heard/seen the Hilda series is better than the original graphic novels in pretty much every aspect)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah I was for sure hoping Louise would show up at least once more

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh yeah I was for sure hoping Louise would show up at least once more

She could have shown up to hang up with the others in the episode with Anders, it's not like David and Frieda stayed in that story that long.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

She could have shown up to hang up with the others in the episode with Anders, it's not like David and Frieda stayed in that story that long.

Also her appearance seemed to solidify her as the fourth member of the group but then she just kind of disappears apart from a couple small cameos

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 12, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is there a particular reason why the last season was shorter than normal (the previous two were 13 episodes each but this one was only 8)?

On another note, Johanna is one of the best animated moms in my opinion and I enjoy when she gets a chance to shine (also I appreciate they used this extra season to finally delve into Hilda’s family history and that the finale was basically a second, albeit slightly shorter, movie)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Ah, turns out I was confusing them with Kiki May.

In my defence, I'm literally blind.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, is there a particular reason why the last season was shorter than normal (the previous two were 13 episodes each but this one was only 8)?

On another note, Johanna is one of the best animated moms in my opinion and I enjoy when she gets a chance to shine (also I appreciate they used this extra season to finally delve into Hilda’s family history and that the finale was basically a second, albeit slightly shorter, movie)

I haven't seen 3 yet, but I loved at the end of the second episode of season 1 where she's shocked at how thoughtless the giants were about their house, and then notices that her foot is currently clipping through the home of one of the little people that lived in her area and she's just like "Ah... poo poo. Lucky we don't exist on the same plane of existence..."

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

They actually call back to that in one episode of this season

I feel pretty much the same as everyone here, that I wish there was more time to flesh out some stuff that was introduced this time around but all the same, Hilda is an overall outstanding show. We stumbled into it trying to find something new and different for our daughter, and it just happened to be one of the best animated shows we’ve seen in years. Oddly enough, it got me interested in paganism (though I’m not one).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Moon Girl returns in February:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/moon-girl-and-devil-dinosaur-season-2

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1735684861472760209

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I wonder if there’ll be sneaky references to Amphibia and the Owl House in there…

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder if there’ll be sneaky references to Amphibia and the Owl House in there…

Are the connections just cute nods or is there some meat to them being in the same universe?

Also, wasn't Alex meant to be working on a new show for Netflix for years now?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Are the connections just cute nods or is there some meat to them being in the same universe?

It’s sort of implied that Eda briefly married Stan during her time in the human world and the S2 finale of Owl House has a news article talking about the invasion near the end of Amphibia (also the titular Owl House appeared on a monitor in an episode of Amphibia showing different dimensions), but that’s the most I can think of and all of those can still more or less be passed off as easter eggs (Dana and Matt are close friends IRL and both worked on Gravity Falls together)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started watching Bluey, partially because I've got a quiet enough week at work and just finished Tierra Incognita, which was a really cool young adult show about a small town with an evil amusement park.

I like how Bluey works in dog behaviour, like the younger cousins still being at the age where they are teething so sometimes prefer to just gnaw on a toy rather than joining in the games, Bingo having to figure out her warning bark in one episode for when Bandit's playing too rough with her, and Bandit playing touch rugby in his sleep like a dog dreaming about chasing a rabbit. :3:

It also does a great job with the sadder moments because Bingo is really expressive so when she's upset it's pretty heartbreaking.

I do recommend checking out Tierra Incognita too, although it's in spanish so subtitles are imperative in season 2. Season 1 is fully dubbed.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

PriorMarcus posted:

Aside from what Larryb's already pointed out, Eda makes a cameo in the Gravity Falls graphic novel on a wanted poster. Not to mention the Curator and Frog Soos (and even a classic Gravity Falls crytpogram in that same episode) over in Amphibia. Also, the Grunkle Stan commentary for the Blu-Ray series does drop very strong hints that Eda was in fact Stan's ex-wife.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Gravity Falls also did a low-key crossover gag where some junk gets sucked into the portal Stan opens in the first season finale and pops out a portal on an episode of Rick and Morty. Which means that they're part of the Central Finite Curve and their universe must therefore contain a Rick.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I still want Netflix to show work on that Redwall stuff I head they were doing.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Anyone know where to find a D1 tape deck? :eek:
https://twitter.com/glitchbob452/status/1737263675189219744

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Would these masters allow for a release that’s any higher in quality than the dvds from Shout a while back? There have to be digital versions of the episodes already.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

Would these masters allow for a release that’s any higher in quality than the dvds from Shout a while back? There have to be digital versions of the episodes already.

Yes. Very much yes.

From the tweet poster:

quote:

The 2011 "ReBoot: The Definitive Mainframe Edition" is an extremely flawed release with severe aliasing (see an example here: https://imgsli.com/MTY3MzU2), cropped picture, color banding, and audio issues. The episodes run 23:40 when they should be 22:30, which likely is why the audio is bad. Combine all that with it being an NTSC release and it looks quite bad.

A non-upscaled Blu-ray release made from the original PAL master tapes (providing they still exist and weren't trashed in the 2012 "purge" by it's former CEO Catherine Winder) with little to no compression per episode would look stunningly clear, detailed, and full of vibrant color.

Not sure how much better a D1 digital copy would be vs the bootleg PAL DVD used in that image comparison though.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

The episodes run 23:40 when they should be 22:30, which likely is why the audio is bad.

what do they mean by this? did they extend the episodes by slowing down the audio?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mr Interweb posted:

what do they mean by this? did they extend the episodes by slowing down the audio?

Means the whole drat episode is running at about 95% speed

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Means the whole drat episode is running at about 95% speed

that's what i figured....but.....why would they do that? :confused:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

that's what i figured....but.....why would they do that? :confused:

My understanding is that it's an artifact of doing a PAL to NTSC conversion.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/GlitchBob452/status/1659994697392111616

first of all...:lmao:

second of all, the quality in that PAL shot :monocle:

i always figured some shows on DVD looked like rear end cause of file compression, but it's night and day between those two

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

.Z. posted:

My understanding is that it's an artifact of doing a PAL to NTSC conversion.

makes sense, but that still leaves the question of why would they need to considering reboot was an NTSC show to begin with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

makes sense, but that still leaves the question of why would they need to considering reboot was an NTSC show to begin with?

The Reboot masters are PAL, not NTSC. Assuming Shout had access to the masters when they made their DVDs, they would have had to do a PAL > NTSC conversion. Why do the conversion? NTSC is/was the safer format to produce in. While most PAL DVD players could play NSTC content, the reverse was not true.