Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

homeless snail posted:

have a recurring dream where i have a time machine and bring historical figures to the present day to show them things theyd be interested in. half of the time im just showing them grindr though

Future Historians: After homeless snail brought President Abraham Lincoln to the then present day and showed him Grindr, Lincoln's keen interest was likely down to a need to save money by sharing a bed....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mr. hitler, theres no need to get so mad that youre a lovely artist, in 2023 we've democratized art. *hands him computer with dall-e and steps back through the time portal*

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Mr. Beethoven.... Check this out. *plays Undertale OST*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scaG05xsN_Y

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

i am very familiar with the sculpture in the Pope's Throne Room and know that it symbolizes Christ rising from a nuclear explosion and it still surprises me every time, it is something you would see fighting a JRPG boss

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mr Hitler... It's time for you to sit your white rear end down and listen.... to hbomberguy *starts video essay*

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Which historical figure do you think would Game. I think that Dwight Eisenhower would Game.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Churchill would love any game that let him nuke Russia

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Truman Capote loves jrpgs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ben Franklin does NOT hide his hentai games on Steam.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

James Joyce for sure would have partaken of the anime tidday.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Torturing Beethoven with Cbat

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MechaSeinfeld posted:

The technology involved in making tik tok work would make the person who invented the lightbulb kill themselves out of shame. No one even remembers the fuckin dweeb who did it.

it's a testament to how rapidly and completely the internet and smartphones have transformed society that the ability to talk to literally anyone anywhere instantly and access the sum total of human knowledge and art at the push of a button is seen as mundane

it always bears repeating that poo poo like sending a man to the moon in a rocket ship was an idea speculated on by innumerable authors but not a single god dang person ever came close to predicting the ubiquity of a little handheld box that contains the whole world in it

Vermain fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 19, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What about Star Trek

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Vermain posted:

it always bears repeating that poo poo like sending a man to the moon in a rocket ship was an idea speculated on by innumerable authors but not a single god dang person ever came close to predicting the ubiquity of a little handheld box that contains the whole world in it

There were some visionaries who managed to glimpse the coming age

The world at your fingertips...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Conditional orders....

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

On Star trek they would always physically hand someone that ebook reader thing when they wanted to show someone else something. The whole notion of a personalized pocket computer was completely alien to them.
Their notion of a future computer was a magical voice in the sky making thing appear. I guess they predicted online shopping, but free since money did not exist, at least in S1 of TNG.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What about Star Trek

tricorders and communicators were still separate things all the way into enterprise, and even those were presented in universe as specialized military gadgets and not a thing everyone has on them at all times

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 7th Guest posted:

tbf i doubt the people buying persona 3R or granblue fantasy really care about justice league

I would if it looked good and not a trash fire

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
apparently the ransomware hackers that hit insomniac last week were legit and leaked a huge amount of data some hours ago
got a lot of projects including stuff that was apparently never greenlit or multiplayer stuff that withered on the vine

their timeline is booked through 2035
and apparently the upcoming list is
Venom: Lethal Protector (seems to be the Miles Morales for Spider-Man 2 - smaller standalone "midquel" to lead into Spider-Man 3) - 2025 or 2027 target date.
Wolverine - 2026 target date
Spider-Man 3 - 2028 target date - possibly split into multiple games
Ratchet and Clank - 2029 target date
X-Men 2 - 2030 target date (sequel to Wolverine)
New unnamed IP - 2031-2032 target date
X-Men 3 - 2033+ target date
New unnamed IP (either a second new IP or a sequel to the first) - 2035+ target date

there's at lot more in-depth stuff, including scripts and videos and slides and budgets and how well sony ports have been doing on steam (it's a BIG leak), that's just the quick schedule run-down

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hogama posted:

how well sony ports have been doing on steam

Does it say when Spider-Man 2 comes out on PC? :shobon:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Does it say when Spider-Man 2 comes out on PC? :shobon:
No, but PC was directly named as part of their sales strategy for future titles, so that train's keeping on, at least.
For a potential date (merely inferred, you understand), it could be at or after next year's Holiday season, as that is when they're supposedly releasing Spider-Man 2 GOTY Edition for PS5.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think I might play Max Payne 1&2 again come 2024. And if I'm really feeling twisted I'll pull out 3. Not so sure about that one.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

max payne 3 happened after alan wake got trapped in the dark place and some rear end in a top hat managed to convince barry to license the rights to write a book based on the character, prove me wrong

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Story bad, but Max Payne 3 was still fun to play.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

There were some visionaries who managed to glimpse the coming age

The world at your fingertips...

Who watches just some random little league game? With 17 other people?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Why would you want to watch last night's game at the end of the week? Just check the score online

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think it's in Contact by Carl Sagan, he had a really weird (in retrospect) idea on how future entertainment/games etc would be distributed, basically just extrapolating out from video rentals.... BUT he did accurately predict adblockers at least, since I think the guy who funds the device they want to use to travel made his fortune by developing tech that could detect and immediately block you from seeing or hearing ads which immediately made him the richest man in the world :)

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

bone emulator posted:

Story bad, but Max Payne 3 was still fun to play.

When you were actually allowed to play it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Sachant posted:

Who watches just some random little league game? With 17 other people?

Priests and Redditors?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Waffleman_ posted:

Why would you want to watch last night's game at the end of the week? Just check the score online

I mean, sure, maybe someday you'll be able to ask your TV "What was the score in last night's little league game?" before you go to work, and come home to watch a custom newsreal that tells you the answer, but the technology just isn't there yet.

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 19, 2023

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Literally voting with your money. Thanks, I hate it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Snake Maze posted:

I mean, sure, maybe someday you'll be able to ask your TV "What was the score in last night's little league game?" before you go to work, and come home to watch a custom newsreal that tells you the answer, but the technology just isn't there yet.

Oh right, this is what I was thinking of

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SirSamVimes posted:

max payne 3 happened after alan wake got trapped in the dark place and some rear end in a top hat managed to convince barry to license the rights to write a book based on the character, prove me wrong

Hey don't try to make it make sense

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

3 is the only one I have played, are the other two very different

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I never played Max Paynes but I did watch a really long retrospective on it after I played Control and the essayist had a convincing case for why the 3rd one was thematically fitting for the characters or story or the devs making them. Seems like playing Max Payne 3 leads to a worse opinion of it, so I won't ruin it by trying it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Khanstant posted:

I never played Max Paynes but I did watch a really long retrospective on it after I played Control and the essayist had a convincing case for why the 3rd one was thematically fitting for the characters or story or the devs making them. Seems like playing Max Payne 3 leads to a worse opinion of it, so I won't ruin it by trying it.

Max Payne 3 rules and everyone complaining about it is a big whiner whose opinions can’t be trusted.

So yeah, you’d hate it. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

3 is the only one I have played, are the other two very different

Yes. The first two are a lot weirder and more noirish while the third feels like more of a standard crime story. It's probably 'better' if you didn't like MP1 and 2 but it's infinitely more generic.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

that sounds like noah-gervais' retrospective; i believe his core idea on 3 was that max being a hardboiled noir detective stereotype necessarily trapped him in an unending cycle of loss and pain, and that the true culmination of the story is him dropping the old cliches and moving away from that life, something that also nicely ties a bow on the trilogy as a whole

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Max Payne 3 is a Tony Scott film with a banging soundtrack by Health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Max Payne 3 is written by morons.

The shooting is alright though.