Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ultimately, with hindsight, I like 3D World more, but Land was/is amazing, and its use of 3D nearly entirely justified its existence. I remember being slightly disappointed when the credits rolled, only to be :tviv: a few moments later

Its still a Real Good Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So, for Christmas, my son wanted an original model 3DS. Not XL, not New 3DS XL, just the Cobalt Blue original model 3DS. I have purchased him one and am curious if this thing is able to be homebrewed the same way my New 3DS XL was home brewed? He wants to play some older games on this system and since the eShop is down, I want him to have some cool options available to him.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

chaosapiant posted:

So, for Christmas, my son wanted an original model 3DS. Not XL, not New 3DS XL, just the Cobalt Blue original model 3DS. I have purchased him one and am curious if this thing is able to be homebrewed the same way my New 3DS XL was home brewed? He wants to play some older games on this system and since the eShop is down, I want him to have some cool options available to him.

Yes, it does everything the new 3DS does, except the better 3D and missing out on SNES VC (and a couple of later games running better). Modding it depends entirely on what firmware version it's got, but the guide will cover that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

3d land loses points for the extremely rude thing where it invalidates you from ever getting the perfect sparkly save file if you ever get the easy-mode bock to appear, even if you don't use it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm bad at videogames: I never beat the full "final" Bowser stage before the credits. Had a good time getting there, though. Maybe one day I'll sit down and finish it properly.

Even being this bad, I never used the cheating item.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
if you're using an original 3ds you might want to get your mitts on a Circle Pad Pro, that's the one big thing the n3ds has that some games need. There's like three games that can't run on the 3ds at all so I don't think there's much to worry about there

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Eh, the circle pad accessory is basically pointless from my experience. I had a launch 3DS, bought the accessory when it came out thinking there would be tons of games using it, and found it useful only twice or so and then never again. When I got a Nu3DS in 2016 or 2017 I never used its built-in nub, similarly. Just can't remember games using them other than Monster Hunter, which no one in their right mind is going to play these days on a 3DS anyway.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I seem to remember using it a lot for Majora's Mask for camera control

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Silver Falcon posted:

I've seen nothing but praise for it here.

Here perhaps, but critics shat on it a fair bit for feeling like an experiment, which it was, and having a lot of unoriginal levels which were a rehash of previous ones with a new gimmick. They were fair criticisms, but I still enjoyed it.

repiv posted:

3d land loses points for the extremely rude thing where it invalidates you from ever getting the perfect sparkly save file if you ever get the easy-mode bock to appear, even if you don't use it

Also this. I had a problem with an early level and the block appeared. I didn't use it, but I found out later and restarted (I only lost a few hours). Other games had the penalty apply only if one used the block and/or allowed the player to beat it 'clean' later; can't imagine what they were thinking.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

JustJeff88 posted:

Also this. I had a problem with an early level and the block appeared. I didn't use it, but I found out later and restarted (I only lost a few hours). Other games had the penalty apply only if one used the block and/or allowed the player to beat it 'clean' later; can't imagine what they were thinking.

New Super Mario Bros 2 and 3D World are the only two that are lenient about it. The other three with the possibility of sparkling stars (NSMB Wii, 3D Land, and NSMB U) all punish you just for having the special block appear. The weird thing is NSMB U came out after NSMB 2. Sure, it was only about 4 months difference, but still. The different directors/teams must have disagreed about it or something.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Mario 3D Land is probably the straight up best 3DS game all around. Looks good, plays good, feels good

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

runchild posted:

New Super Mario Bros 2 and 3D World are the only two that are lenient about it. The other three with the possibility of sparkling stars (NSMB Wii, 3D Land, and NSMB U) all punish you just for having the special block appear. The weird thing is NSMB U came out after NSMB 2. Sure, it was only about 4 months difference, but still. The different directors/teams must have disagreed about it or something.

What about NSMB Deluxe for Switch?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I’ve literally just gotten the 5th profile star in New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and I seem to have the sparkle (more of a gleam really) despite seeing the assist block a few times. So I guess they toned it down a bit in the Switch port.

^Lol good timing

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just jailbroke my N3DS and I had my mind taken back ten years (or so) as DQ9 ran on a DS.

10/10 will probably "find my old copy of" DS Chrono Trigger and get that on here too.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
CTDS is obscenely expensive nowadays

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Heath posted:

CTDS is obscenely expensive nowadays

Yeah but I have a good feeling about "finding" my copy.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah but I have a good feeling about "finding" my copy.

It sure is easier these days to 'find' old games that we used to love. That's one of the few things that has improved in my lifetime.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

It sure is easier these days to 'find' old games that we used to love. That's one of the few things that has improved in my lifetime.

av post combo lol

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I saw something on YT about the Hshop. Does anybody have any good or bad experience with it? I'm not really looking for anything in particular and haven't touched mine in months after hacking it and playing a couple of the exclusives.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hshop rules, and makes everything extremely easy peasy. the worst part about it is waiting for the 3DS's relatively slow wifi. It even has useful non-retail stuff like the port of Mario 64 to the 3DS (with stereoscopic 3D even!)

The key with hshop is to select the thing you want, and press Y to add it to the queue, then queue up everything you want, and then press the queue button on the bottom screen and kick off the download, much less of a need to mess with everything that way

If you arent using hshop with your 3DS in 2023, then you need to be

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've given my pickled 3ds another look and unfortunately it's beyond rescue. However I am glad to know that I can call Nintendo and system transfer anyway, now I just gotta save up for a new/refurbished system.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

YggiDee posted:

I've given my pickled 3ds another look and unfortunately it's beyond rescue. However I am glad to know that I can call Nintendo and system transfer anyway, now I just gotta save up for a new/refurbished system.

What did you try? White vinegar is sometimes used to clean up water damage and corrosion on circuit boards but I think that is only used like that got short periods of time. I'm curious if you opened it up to see inside how the state of it is.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
it no longer turns on at all regardless of if it's charged or plugged in or not, and it was partially submerged for at least half an hour. I don't have the technical know-how to gain anything by taking it apart

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*taps thread title*

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Heath posted:

Mario 3D Land is probably the straight up best 3DS game all around. Looks good, plays good, feels good

This is rhythm heaven erasure and I will not stand for it.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
*obligatory Zelda: Link Between Worlds mention*

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That really stinks but I'm also curious to hear about how your 3DS ended up submerged in vinegar of all things.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Getting a USB cable to charge it with instead of having to bring the factory one with wall wart definitely made me bring mine more places. It's not like the factory charger is huge, but it is a little awkward compared to just plugging it in to my laptop or travel USB hub.

Yeah I have a USB charging cable for it that I use for travel, it was a good pickup.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
tldr: 3ds was in a bag. jar of vinegar also in bag, vinegar had loose cap

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 19, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Probably should've splurged for two bags.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Probably should've splurged for two bags.

Suggest not dunking on the vinegar soaked console beyond the current thread title. The pre-edit version of the op gave some reasons for how it went down the way it did.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah not to clarify more than that person obviously feels comfortable sharing but it was a side effect of getting themselves into a better place and it's good that they're doing that

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was having a bad time, it's better now, but, like, you aren't wrong. I pickled the hell out of that poor little handheld.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh I wasn't razzing anyone, that's just a really specific way to wreck your console. I'm sorry :(

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's all good, I laughed :)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

hshop rules, and makes everything extremely easy peasy.

~

If you arent using hshop with your 3DS in 2023, then you need to be

Really the only problem with hshop is that its too easy to fill the fridge and getting to the sd card on a N3DSXL (inasmuch as physically connecting it to a computer) to manage it is a complete ballache.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah with hshop I’ve really had to look myself in the eyes and go “are you really gonna play this”, and it helps a little

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

What's the best game for 3DS and why is it Hello Kitty's Magic Apron

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Really the only problem with hshop is that its too easy to fill the fridge and getting to the sd card on a N3DSXL (inasmuch as physically connecting it to a computer) to manage it is a complete ballache.

Also the 3DS takes so long to boot from power off when you've got a shitton of games on the SD card

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I am losing my loving mind, got a n3ds from Amazon to replace the pickled one, got it in, turned it on, spent 30 minutes on the phone sorting out the system transfer, filled out some forms, and now I find out the drat thing has a busted card slot

edit: gently caress it, returning it

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just a reminder that it’s been just over 10 years since Kirby Triple Deluxe melted our faces off with this banger:

https://youtu.be/1e27wGQaAB0?si=_rFT1HXnw1j6sFvk