Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

But why? Why do they have to do this? It just seems like they are all choosing to

Kids do what other kids do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

But why? Why do they have to do this? It just seems like they are all choosing to

How would we ever hear about the ones who don't?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There is just so much going on here :allears:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Air Skwirl posted:

It's just compared to his other accomplishments in high school, that one is lacking. Like, I would expect most people who get into Cornell have higher scores. I scored a 1470 on the SATs, did not get into Cornell, mostly because I never applied to Cornell, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten in even if I had, I didn't get in to Washington State University.

Yes, the entire reason I called that out was because I scored slightly higher than him on a test that I know has no real value in determining how smart someone is or their aptitude for learning.

A 1460 is like top 4%, and depending on year is solid 96 to 98th percentile score. It may not be a brag number to you but it's more than good enough.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/LibertyCappy/status/1736755698355060873?t=HGh-Yk8yo50DJ9ZXWs5GYw&s=19

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

The point being “North Koreans can enjoy the night sky?”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

A 1460 is like top 4%, and depending on year is solid 96 to 98th percentile score. It may not be a brag number to you but it's more than good enough.

I think a lot of people ragging on the SAT are assuming it’s out of 2400 and not 1600 but I could be wrong.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
college admissions is stupid NEXT!!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wow it's crazy that that's all that happened. North Korea became communist and then everyone left them to themselves for 70 years.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

those are proto-boomers

gen x are boomers 2.0

millennials... who can say what the future holds
Boomers (Taylor's Version)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I thought the stupid part wasn't a kid whining in a video that they didn't get into their dream school because the standards are so high and their extracurriculars weren't good enough, it was that the other poster shared it as "kid upset that they didn't get into their dream school because they're white and the slot was taken by a POC for diversity" and their excuse for smearing this kid and lying was "it was a satire but maybe watch your words more carefully next time."

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

I mean if you want to just admit that capitalism is the handmaiden of fascism that's cool with me

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Baron von Eevl posted:

I thought the stupid part wasn't a kid whining in a video that they didn't get into their dream school because the standards are so high and their extracurriculars weren't good enough, it was that the other poster shared it as "kid upset that they didn't get into their dream school because they're white and the slot was taken by a POC for diversity" and their excuse for smearing this kid and lying was "it was a satire but maybe watch your words more carefully next time."

"You know, the words we put in your mouth. Watch those."

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Fister Roboto posted:

Wow it's crazy that that's all that happened. North Korea became communist and then everyone left them to themselves for 70 years.

Also South Korea was essentially a military dictatorship until the late 80s. It was definitely one until the early 60s.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also wasn't NK the economic powerhouse of the two until like the late 60s?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Because that is what is modelled as success and being cool in the media they consume. Were you never a teenager?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Also wasn't NK the economic powerhouse of the two until like the late 60s?

I wouldn't call either of them a powerhouse at the time but NK had a higher standard of living at least into the '70s.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

They don’t have to. There are plenty of kids who don’t but you don’t hear about them or see them. (I know, I teach teenagers.)

Don’t get me wrong, it’s hard to be a teenager in the 2020s- it has always been hard to be a teenager- but there are plenty of different ways to be a kid, even today.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The other thing is a lot of kids are rightfully credulous of the “everybody must go to a university or you’ll never have a good job!” Mantra that many of us grew up on. Tons of kids are wisening up because their parents are now young enough to be saddled with five or six figure debt from college and making the same money as people who got certifications or just started work at 18 or whatever.

My dad was a welder and my mom dropped out of college after a year and they told me from day 1 “you’re going to college because that’s what you need to do” and even with a Master’s I probably have roughly a similar quality of life as they did at my age. And I got lucky with my career, honestly.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I scored a single point higher than my friend on our GEDs 😎

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leon Sumbitches posted:

There's a sub forum for spam?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I mean everyone in both countries is miserable just for different reasons.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Standards are absurdly high in a lot of places these days, though. My cousin had an over 4.0 GPA, was a state level musician, multiple AP classes, a ton of extracurriculars including team sports, and she was lucky as gently caress to get into UGA. A state school. In 2016.

I can't even imagine what it's like now

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

saddled with five or six figure debt from college and making the same money as people who got certifications or just started work at 18 or whatever

It makes me quite sad that people think a university education is only as valuable as the job it gets you. Sometimes it’s just cool to really know a lot about a subject.

University should be free anyway, because an educated populous is good for society, but it definitely shouldn’t only be viewed as a way to get a high paying job.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Scientastic posted:

It makes me quite sad that people think a university education is only as valuable as the job it gets you. Sometimes it’s just cool to really know a lot about a subject.

University should be free anyway, because an educated populous is good for society, but it definitely shouldn’t only be viewed as a way to get a high paying job.

The problem os that since it is so ruinously expensive, you kinda have to choose something that will eventually makenyou money. If it were free I imagine a lot of people would be taking courses without planning to rake a job in that field

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

The problem os that since it is so ruinously expensive, you kinda have to choose something that will eventually makenyou money. If it were free I imagine a lot of people would be taking courses without planning to rake a job in that field

Also the fact that it's pressured on you at an early age means most kids are gonna make a wrong decision in regards to what to spend time and money on.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Standards are absurdly high in a lot of places these days, though. My cousin had an over 4.0 GPA, was a state level musician, multiple AP classes, a ton of extracurriculars including team sports, and she was lucky as gently caress to get into UGA. A state school. In 2016.

I can't even imagine what it's like now

Unless you're specifically trying for an ivy league, or a specific 4 year program that doesn't accept transfers, a decent community college is a much better path to getting into a competitive school.
Not every state has a good community college system unfortunately, but those that do will often also have transfer programs where fufilling the program guarantees access to the statr university system. Of course an HS guidance counselor will often steer kids away from that path because it doesn't pad their numbers like bragging about how many of their students go straight to a prestigious university. I was accepted at UC campuses on transfer I had no hope of getting into fresh out of HS, and I had a GPA that was barely 3.0 when I transfered.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Improbable Lobster posted:

I just want to interject that America isn't everywhere.
I did my undergraduate degree for free in Ireland back in the 90s, and my masters in classics cost about 2,000 euro.
America is a ridiculously broken country, which makes acquiring a higher education a thing which creates a literal lifelong debt.
This is not normal, this is not acceptable.

Getting a degree does not actually cost half a million dollars, that is laughably stupid.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Flesh Forge posted:

There is just so much going on here :allears:

I got the No Pussy Blues

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pookah posted:

I did my undergraduate degree for free in Ireland back in the 90s, and my masters in classics cost about 2,000 euro.
America is a ridiculously broken country, which makes acquiring a higher education a thing which creates a literal lifelong debt.

Getting a degree does not actually cost half a million dollars, that is laughably stupid.

I'm Canadian

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

The other thing is a lot of kids are rightfully credulous of the “everybody must go to a university or you’ll never have a good job!” Mantra that many of us grew up on. Tons of kids are wisening up because their parents are now young enough to be saddled with five or six figure debt from college and making the same money as people who got certifications or just started work at 18 or whatever.

My dad was a welder and my mom dropped out of college after a year and they told me from day 1 “you’re going to college because that’s what you need to do” and even with a Master’s I probably have roughly a similar quality of life as they did at my age. And I got lucky with my career, honestly.

The thing that gets glossed over with a lot of “learn a trade” advice is that those often have their own long term costs, just in terms of physical health instead of money. Especially in construction. I did construction safety for a while and a lot of the longtimers bodies were just destroyed by the demands of their jobs after a while.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The thing that gets glossed over with a lot of “learn a trade” advice is that those often have their own long term costs, just in terms of physical health instead of money. Especially in construction. I did construction safety for a while and a lot of the longtimers bodies were just destroyed by the demands of their jobs after a while.

Also most longterm trades that pay well require training and certification that employers won't provide or if you're apprenticing are often incredibly competitive and have limited spots. Heck most student loan debt in the US is from people getting occupational training from private career colleges not liberal arts phds.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's funny (not ha-ha funny) that we've frogboiled ourselves from "get a college degree to get a head start on a career, you don't need one to survive or raise a family but it will guarantee you respect and prestigious employability right out the gate" to "get used to the idea of spending hundreds of $K on credit just to get to running-in-place parity with everyone else in your age group; if you can't afford it or aren't on board with taking on that debt and living in grinding poverty for decades to pay it off, make your peace with the regular kind of grinding poverty, pleb"

in this, the country that has solved all of humanity's ancient problems through FREEDOM

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Coolness Averted posted:

Unless you're specifically trying for an ivy league, or a specific 4 year program that doesn't accept transfers, a decent community college is a much better path to getting into a competitive school.
Not every state has a good community college system unfortunately, but those that do will often also have transfer programs where fufilling the program guarantees access to the statr university system. Of course an HS guidance counselor will often steer kids away from that path because it doesn't pad their numbers like bragging about how many of their students go straight to a prestigious university. I was accepted at UC campuses on transfer I had no hope of getting into fresh out of HS, and I had a GPA that was barely 3.0 when I transfered.

A bachelor's program at a loving state school like UGA should not require Harvard level entry requirements. It's incredibly loving broken and UGA is yet another example of the whole "fake prestige" because the people in charge make hundreds of millions of dollars. UGA was a mid range safety school for people my age.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A bachelor's program at a loving state school like UGA should not require Harvard level entry requirements. It's incredibly loving broken and UGA is yet another example of the whole "fake prestige" because the people in charge make hundreds of millions of dollars. UGA was a mid range safety school for people my age.
The UC system is admitting lots of out-of-state and foreign students because they pay higher fees. This of course squeezes out California-raised students, whom the system is supposed to be for.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

What they're saying though is that transfer programs are to blame, and they're correct from what I've seen. A 2x2 transfer program means you get to increase your graduation rate for half the population increase you'd get from a traditional student, as well as offloading the first 2 years of a potential student's education (in which they are most likely to fail) onto a school where those numbers do not matter at all. On top of that, you can artificially inflate your intake standards which will make dumb people think you're a good school.

UGA is still accepting kids with GEDs and a 2.1 GPA, they just "wash" them through one of a dozen feeder colleges first.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The UC system is admitting lots of out-of-state and foreign students because they pay higher fees. This of course squeezes out California-raised students, whom the system is supposed to be for.

Every institution preferentially accepts out of state students for exactly this reason

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pookah posted:

But how else would they attract top talent for administration???

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
All the safety schools got a bump in credibility, and can therefore charge higher prices, once the education landscape started to fill up with "University of Cornholeville - Online" type places.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

What they're saying though is that transfer programs are to blame, and they're correct from what I've seen. A 2x2 transfer program means you get to increase your graduation rate for half the population increase you'd get from a traditional student, as well as offloading the first 2 years of a potential student's education (in which they are most likely to fail) onto a school where those numbers do not matter at all. On top of that, you can artificially inflate your intake standards which will make dumb people think you're a good school.

UGA is still accepting kids with GEDs and a 2.1 GPA, they just "wash" them through one of a dozen feeder colleges first.

Every institution preferentially accepts out of state students for exactly this reason

Ah, I see. I misunderstood. That's incredibly garbage and doesn't surprise me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

College should be for doctors, lawyers and egyptologists. Everything else can be achieved through trade schools or on the job learning. Everyone I know says college didn’t get them ready for poo poo. It was on the job.