Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

You mentioned work, so I thought it was a possibility. I haven't done this in a long time but if you have a Mac you may be able to connect to the computer and use Apple Configurator to manually install the latest tvOS. do so at your own peril of course.

I’ll maybe give that a shot eventually if it doesn’t pickup the update. The only app that won’t load is paramount + but everything else seems to work just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

My volume up button is not consistent. Reset remote same issue. Time for a trip to the fruit stand.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

This may sound ridiculous and is definitely a long shot, but I had this issue once and it turned out my TV's actual remote was stuck on. I actually thought my AppleTV or the tv itself were broken because I noticed the issue went away when I covered the IR receiver on the TV... but then I tried pulling the battery out of my TV remote and the issue went away.

Though looks like in your case the Apple volume is going down so maybe your Apple TV remote is wonky.

I did not try this but thank you for the suggestion anyway! My TV remote battery is actually low but I have just ignored it since I wasn’t using it.

Anyway I unscientifically reset my TV and Apple TV as well as updated it from 17.1 to 17.2 all at the same time. One of those things fixed it. :shrug:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

LPT: remove channels you don’t subscribe to anymore from the TV app.

You would think deleting that channel’s app would do this but nope. You have to go to Settings > Apps > TV > Connect to TV section and then set the channels to Off.

This should theoretically improve the suggestions to only include stuff you subscribe to, although practically it’s still 75% Apple TV+.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Anyone actually like the OS update?

Not sure it’s helped anything for me, the new lady hand bar contains some random poo poo like MLS soccer that I’ve never once watched.

Apart from anything else, it hasn’t fixed the recent problem for me of shows I’ve watched in full on the Apple TV (both appletv+ & 3rd party) remaining in my up next list, shown as partially watched.

I think there’s also an extra step to switch profiles.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Tell me more about the lady hand bar please.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I am curious as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The TV app was redesigned and the navigation menu moved from the top to the left side.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2023/12/redesigned-apple-tv-app-elevates-the-viewing-experience/

I like it a lot. I use the sports section to direct me to wherever the NFL games are, and if you have any streaming subs they pop up on the bar there as well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Was not expecting my new Apple tv 4k with Ethernet™ to display EVERYTHING in Dolby Vision...

Watching Dragon Ball on Crunchyroll and the picture mode says Dolby Vision [Bright], when I'm pretty sure neither the app nor the series masters anything in DV.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think I remember some default setting to "match content to the menus" where it'll convert it to fake HDR/DV so that when switching between menus and content your screen doesn't flicker while changing modes. You can turn it off if you want but I'm not sure it actually hurts anything unless you're a calibrated screen kinda guy.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

American McGay posted:

I think I remember some default setting to "match content to the menus" where it'll convert it to fake HDR/DV so that when switching between menus and content your screen doesn't flicker while changing modes. You can turn it off if you want but I'm not sure it actually hurts anything unless you're a calibrated screen kinda guy.
yep.

youtube's one of the apps that are displayed incorrectly if you don't do it

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Was not expecting my new Apple tv 4k with Ethernet™ to display EVERYTHING in Dolby Vision...

Watching Dragon Ball on Crunchyroll and the picture mode says Dolby Vision [Bright], when I'm pretty sure neither the app nor the series masters anything in DV.

Set the Apple TV to 4k sdr

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hate that if you use Dolby Vision any time you view any content, there's a 3-5 second delay before the content appears because, I guess, it's flipping on and off the "Dolby Vision" or the "HDR" or whatever the gently caress this nerd poo poo is doing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder if some TVs handle that switch better?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have an LG OLED C9, which should be pretty dang good!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
We literally just described a setting (that’s on by default) that fixes that issue regardless of what TV you have.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah but if you do that, you're disabling Dolby Vision/HDR-- I'm saying the implementation of those seems to cause a ruckus.

Saying not to use it is like saying "if you're having color issues simply disable color."

The problem is that the implementation, maybe it's sourced at the ATV or maybe at the TV level, doesn't use the same thing for menus, etc., as it does for content. You'd think when you enable Dolby Vision, it doesn't need to change the signal between the menu and the content but it does! At least for me!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I thought the solution forces the menus into HDR not the other way around but maybe I’m misremembering or it doesn’t play well with DV.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
4k sdr with content matching is the best way to do it, with the only caveat being that your screen will temporarily go black every time it switches content type. i don't remember whether the latest atv has qms or whatever the hdmi 2.1 feature that's supposed to do it instantaneously is

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have mine to output 4K SDR. Then you enable match dynamic range and it will switch to Dolby vision and HDR when the content supports it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use 4K Dolby Vision at all times and when it takes a couple seconds to switch... whatever.

But I now use an HD Fury Arcana (I need an eARC port for my Sonos Arc to output Atmos) that outputs Dolby Vision all the time regardless of whether the content is or isn't DV/HDR, so my TV never switches.
But let me tell you, that setup causes CEC to crash and loving burn. It's SO goddamn annoying.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I thought HDFury stuff played nice with CEC, it should, given the pricing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use homepods as audio and I'm going to set up my ATV as an eARC setup today. Supposedly I can use the ATV/homepod this way but I have a feeling it's going to be ever so slightly hosed

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Honestly I have a very simple system, just a Sony TV, an Apple TV, and a Sonos sound bar. Feel like it should “just work” a bit more.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

jokes posted:

Yeah but if you do that, you're disabling Dolby Vision/HDR-- I'm saying the implementation of those seems to cause a ruckus.

Saying not to use it is like saying "if you're having color issues simply disable color."

The problem is that the implementation, maybe it's sourced at the ATV or maybe at the TV level, doesn't use the same thing for menus, etc., as it does for content. You'd think when you enable Dolby Vision, it doesn't need to change the signal between the menu and the content but it does! At least for me!

nope

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

qirex posted:

I thought HDFury stuff played nice with CEC, it should, given the pricing.

Yeah, it should. I think it's also a function of my Bravia X900F TV. The CEC on that is loving weird. There's a specific section in the Arcana manual for Bravia TVs, but it can be kind of hard to follow since it definitely looks like it got ran through google translate. Also, the steps don't solve the issues :(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

kri kri posted:

Why?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

so it doesnt play hdr for all videos

set to 4k sdr and enable match content and match refresh or whatever

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

kri kri posted:

so it doesnt play hdr for all videos

What's wrong with that though

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Really wish Apple could do a better job realizing that Paramount+ as an Apple TV channel and Paramount+ as a service are the same thing. Instead of constantly trying to sell me a service I already have.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

smackfu posted:

Really wish Apple could do a better job realizing that Paramount+ as an Apple TV channel and Paramount+ as a service are the same thing. Instead of constantly trying to sell me a service I already have.

It’s not the same to Apple, they’re not getting a cut if you subscribe separately. But yes, that and the whole “constantly shilling Apple TV+ shows I will never watch” thing are why it will never be the true hub app it was supposed to be.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

It will never be a true hub app since Netflix and plex aren’t there. Apple TV plus is fine because I’m properly subbed to Apple one family plan.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

Watch your TV however makes you happy, but it's "wrong" because the filmmakers didn't intend for or grade the content to be in HDR. They graded it for SDR and the AppleTV is taking a best guess as to how to convert it to HDR. You may as well just set your TV to "Vivid" mode

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mister Facetious posted:

If your TV had a setting to always play content in color, even if it was being broadcast in B&W, you’d probably turn that off. Forcing everything into HDR is just a more extreme version of that.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone have issues with their ATV Remotes re: CEC use? My ATV 4K (2nd Gen) remotes sometime stop working for volume on both my C1 and C9. Googling has shown me that home button and up button being held sometimes resets it but its been 50/50 for me.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Happens to me occasionally. Unpair and re-pair the remote to fix it.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Thanks, been doing the same so far. It seems to be happening a lot more frequently as of late, so I'm going to blame an iOS 17.xx delta of sorts.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EconOutlines posted:

Thanks, been doing the same so far. It seems to be happening a lot more frequently as of late, so I'm going to blame an iOS 17.xx delta of sorts.

Yep I’ve had more volume issues on 17 so yeah I blame that too.

Thanks Tim Apple

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

kri kri posted:

I did this and it made YouTube a zillion times more watchable. Still get DV and HDR when it’s available but no more black screens for two seconds at the beginning of every video. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EconOutlines posted:

Anyone have issues with their ATV Remotes re: CEC use? My ATV 4K (2nd Gen) remotes sometime stop working for volume on both my C1 and C9. Googling has shown me that home button and up button being held sometimes resets it but its been 50/50 for me.

This sounds dumb but recharge it, works sometimes.