Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
asking for more than 20FPS is greedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hatty posted:

asking for more than 20FPS is greedy

I'd take a stable twenty at this point.

Yeah I've considered Cemu, I've heard it's good but I'd prefer not having more software I'm using for one thing on my PC. 3DS is even worse because even when the emulation is good the game feel is pretty hosed off of a two screen handheld. Even games that work well when ported like Rune Factory can feel a bit ill accustomed to the format.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked Soul Hackers 2. :)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Gaius Marius posted:

I wish we'd get some MT news 😢
Yeah, it's about time the Majin Tensei games got an official North American release.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

SubG posted:

Yeah, it's about time the Majin Tensei games got an official North American release.

hell yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

maybe one day atlus will remember all their weird rear end 90s spin offs of megami tensei, which is like, 15 games

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does anyone think this "third pillar" proclamation is rather presumptuous of them? Like they think they're making the next big franchise full of mainline games and spin-offs. It sort of reminds me of the plans for Final Fantasy 13's expanded universe and we all know what happened there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Last time I heard third pillar it was Nintendo saying the GBA, DS. And GameCube were all systems that were supposed to be concurrent.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Does anyone think this "third pillar" proclamation is rather presumptuous of them? Like they think they're making the next big franchise full of mainline games and spin-offs. It sort of reminds me of the plans for Final Fantasy 13's expanded universe and we all know what happened there.

It's certainly ambitious but they are committing all they have towards it. Hashino has his glaring weaknesses but he is what helped make Persona their biggest franchise by far so I can see why they think he, Meguro, etc. can do the same for Metaphor. It remains to be seen if it will work but I personally hope it does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

No, it's pretty common for companies to suggest their next big budget game is intended to be a thing going forward.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
they need a new franchise to be randomly homophobic in

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's called the blue ocean strategy

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Terrible Opinions posted:

The argument over which Mario games count as Super Mario games.

Mario Bros is out, donkey Kong too. maybe anything taking place in the normal human world isn't super?

odyssey confuses this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hatty posted:

SMTVI when?

theyre waiting for me to finish smt 4 -_-

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Well hurry up

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

theyre waiting for me to finish smt 4 -_-

Then you gotta play IVA, too.

Also Anime Ages got me again because I was writing about my favorite Chaos reps in the series and I compared and contrasted Yamato and Chiaki, citing how they're both from privileged families but Yamato is a "mature man" and Chiaki is a "traumatized girl." Only...it then hit me, Yamato and Chiaki are probably the same age. The point was more that Yamato has a clear idea of what he wants all game while Chiaki is a victim responding to her situation, but it totally went over my head this leader of a military organization is only 17, bossing around the 26-year-old Makoto. Oh well. I need to replay DeSu 2, it's been so many years, and I have a good enough PC to record stuff now so I can keep track of the innumerable scenes in the game. The ones which interest me, anyway.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ImpAtom posted:

Actually the Japanese name was Doki-Doki Panic.

More like dookie dookie panic

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
This has been 'out' for a bit now but nobody shared it so I'm copying and pasting some plot/story info for Metaphor:

quote:

A world separate from our own, inhabited by eight tribes.

In this world is a land known as the United Kingdom of Euchronia.

The union, founded by the heroic first king and ruled by a strong royal family that inherited powerful magic, has gradually succumbed to corruption over the years, and is descending into a “virtueless nation” torn apart by inequality and discrimination.

In the vast realm, dangerous animals and mysterious monsters known as “Humans” run rampant, making the lands outside city walls seldom safe. And the assassinations of Euchronia’s prince and king have unleashed further chaos and unrest unto a kingdom now without a ruler.

The Eight Tribes

1. Clemar

A tribe characterized by the horns on each side of their heads. Their physique and physical capabilities are average. They occupy a number of important positions in the royal family and monarchy, and are often considered the central tribe of the kingdom. They themselves tend to subconsciously internalize the sense that this is true.

2. Roussainte

A tribe characterized by their long, protruding ears. With a remarkable physique and physical capabilities, many of them are soldiers or occupy important positions in the military. Many possess a combative nature, fixated on victory versus defeat and seeking to determine the inferiority or superiority of anything and everything.

3. Ichthyia (spelling to be confirmed)

A tribe characterized by the elegant wings on various parts of their bodies. They possess greater intellect than other tribes. Many hold high positions in intellectual labor, such as scholars and clergymen, and many are wealthy. Coupled with their appearance, they are a tribe that is sometimes admired, but as there are also those who tend to look down upon others, they are equally despised.

4. Rogue (spelling to be confirmed)

A tribe characterized by their long lifespan. Some live more than twice the average life expectancy of other tribes. Their aging is unique, with middle and old ages occupying the majority of their lifetime. In traditionally seniority-based positions, they consequently tend to hold higher positions. Their culture emphasizes great value in “passing down” knowledge and purpose.
5. Nydia (spelling to be confirmed)

A tribe characterized by their large eyes and eye color. Despite lacking any particularly extraordinary traits, many are said to be sociable and charismatic. However, their nature is often taken negatively by some, who consider them “untrustworthy smooth talkers” or “weirdos.”

6. Palipas (spelling to be confirmed)

A tribe characterized by their beast-like ears and tail. While physically very strong, their senses are also physical, and they are for better or worse pleasure seekers. While their love for feasting and liveliness, and their carefree cheerfulness can at times be a strength, it can also manifest as an impulsiveness that does not favor deep contemplation. They lack political dominance and are looked down upon by other tribes.

7. Eugief

A tribe characterized by their bat-like wings and ears. Due to their difference in appearance and abilities compared to the humanoid tribes, they are often seen as creepy and discriminated against. For that reason, the majority live life without wealth and are lower in rank among the other tribes. They are generally mild-mannered and cooperative. However, they are not good at making big decisions and tend to hesitate due to their constant concern for others.

8. Mutsutari (spelling to be confirmed)

A tribe characterized by the “third eye” on their foreheads. They are often viewed as strange due to their unique masks and traditional attire. Since they follow their own faith separate from the state religion, they are often persecuted as “heretics” in the mainland, and are somewhat mysterious.

The monstrocities known as "Humans'
Unidentifiable creatures with bizarre appearances unlike any other known animal. Each one harbors a substantial amount of rampant Magra in their systems, prompting them to indiscriminately attack everything around them. While generally unintelligent and aggressive, their biology is a mystery, such as their use of a magic far too advanced for people to easily handle. Their bodies are robust, and the larger ones are capable of annihilating even entire armies.

Gonna provide some interesting extra context on the "Human" thing. It utilizes 'glossing', where Japanese characters are read in an alternate way to provide a double meaning: the kanji are the word 'ningen' which means 'human', but it's glossed with the katakana for 'homo', as in 'homo sapiens'.

This, unfortunately, results in this seemingly early localization:

Fully expect either something to make it clearer that it's derived from 'homo sapiens' or to get changed entirely, or else the Hashino homophobia jokes are gonna start getting worse.

Anyway, also, some PC bios:

quote:

Protagonist:
A boy of the Elda tribe, a tribe branded as "Tainted", believed to have inherited dangerous and taboo magic. He has been friends with the prince since childhood.

Gallica:
Not only a trusted traveling companion, Gallica is also a guide who helps the protagonist carry out his mission. Because of her nature as a fairy, her knowledge of magic and ability to perceive the enemy's power is superior.

Strohl (Silver haired man, ram horns):
A young man of the Clemar tribe, he is a smart and likable youth who respects justice. Although he is from a noble family, he joins the commoners as a volunteer soldier.

Hulkenberg:
A knight of the Roussainte tribe. She is a skilled swordswoman and former member of the royal guard who served by the prince's side.

Heismay:
A former knight of the Eugief tribe. He has the ability to acutely detect anomalies that others cannot perceive.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Junpei posted:

Fully expect either something to make it clearer that it's derived from 'homo sapiens' or to get changed entirely, or else the Hashino homophobia jokes are gonna start getting worse.

please tell me you're joking because what?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think they're going to change that because some people online are dumb.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Well there are English screenshots where all the enemy names are the "Homo sapiens" type scientific names, but we don't actually know what the monsters are referred to collectively in the English localization.

Also I love how they just frontloaded "Man was the real monster all along...."

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Death Stranding kept Homo Demens without much outcry. It’ll be fine

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Genuinely, the type of person who would get mad at this or think its a dogwhistle or w/e is probably 15 and thus their opinion doesn't matter.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The premise revolving around a bunch of races that determine your core personality and behavior when D&D and the like just moved away from that is more bothersome to me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am certain the twist is going to be some Inside Out poo poo where the reveal is that everyone is the broken up pieces of humanity as a whole and mumble mumble.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The premise revolving around a bunch of races that determine your core personality and behavior when D&D and the like just moved away from that is more bothersome to me

It is disappointing and might point towards a fairly unremarkable plot overall

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I am certain the twist is going to be some Inside Out poo poo where the reveal is that everyone is the broken up pieces of humanity as a whole and mumble mumble.

Some sort of...allegory

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Genuinely, the type of person who would get mad at this or think its a dogwhistle or w/e is probably 15 and thus their opinion doesn't matter.

fair enough, i guess I just have a tendency to assume the worst

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Considering Hashino's gender essentialism, this letdown tracks.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Neeksy posted:

Considering Hashino's gender essentialism, this letdown tracks.

According to the latest interview, sounds like a lot of the party members and some other characters are people who don't fit into the common stereotypes of their race. So presumably some of the story is about how these established stereotypes don't really exist, or at least don't apply to everyone.

Hashino interview posted:

The interracial issues are quite deep-rooted, but the protagonist, driven by a vague sense of justice, simply wants to help everyone in need. That’s why individuals who might be considered odd within their own race due to various circumstances are influenced by the protagonist and end up joining the journey. Eventually, a party is formed with a mix of races. From the perspective of the people in this world, it might appear as quite a… peculiar group.

https://personacentral.com/metaphor-refantazio-interview-excerpt/

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's something, at least

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It's not something that's the idea behind most of the persona 4 and 5 casts and they still ended up...well like the character writing in persona 4 and 5.

Do not let this man trick you again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
don't believe his lies

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Not saying how it will actually turn out in the game, just that it at least seems to be part of the idea.

Although given that we know the game has a modern Persona-style calendar I guess we can probably just say the structure of the plot will just be an episodic "visit the lands of one of the 8 races each month to solve some crisis/rally them to your cause, then some extra thing for the ending". And yeah given what else we know I guess it's likely that after opposing or being wary of them initially, at the end of the month each tribe will unanimously agree to support the protagonists after they solve some crisis tied in with the dungeon/boss of the month. Just whatever they do, please no finishing the dungeon for the month in a couple days and for 2 weeks having your party members say every day "Will the [x] tribe support us in the election? I don't know!! All we can do is wait until the end of the month"

For me really a bigger letdown would be if the game ends up rigidly adhering to this monthly episodic/formulaic structure like Persona 3-5 did, which seems pretty likely.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Item Getter posted:

According to the latest interview, sounds like a lot of the party members and some other characters are people who don't fit into the common stereotypes of their race. So presumably some of the story is about how these established stereotypes don't really exist, or at least don't apply to everyone.

https://personacentral.com/metaphor-refantazio-interview-excerpt/

Thank you for linking this. It was interesting.

quote:

Hashino: In the synopsis that’s been introduced, it hints at the entity that assassinated the king and prince, becoming the main character’s antagonist. However, it’s possible that one might feel that there is some truth in what the enemy is saying. I’ve always wanted to create a story where, unlike the clear-cut dynamics of “children versus adults” or “good versus evil” depicted in the Persona series, one can understand the other side’s ideology.

The protagonists also have their own sense of justice, but in a sense, it leans towards an “ideal,” while on the other hand, the thoughts of the opposing enemy seem more “realistic.” The struggle between these two, in a way, becomes a central theme.

I remember so vividly when P5 came out and I was always rolling my eyes at "those rotten adults." Now the director just flatly said, yes, Persona is all about Children vs. Adults and he wants to have a more complex conflict. Cool in my book.

In any event, Brutal Realism vs. High-Minded Idealism is hardly untrodden ground. That doesn't mean it's a lovely way to frame your moral conflict of course. I can't wait to read the full interview but the total lack of mentioning choice so far makes me think it will be a linear game. Which is fine, most JRPGs I love are linear with no branching routes. Just, being an Atlus game with such a premise, I was really wondering.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think I'm being tricked, I'm just saying that it'll be a good thing if that answer is actually representative of the game... which it very easily may not be, and I don't exactly have a lot of faith in it either way.

I dunno about Metaphor, honestly. I know they haven't really started fully promoting it yet, but what I'm seeing isn't doing much for me.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

In any event, Brutal Realism vs. High-Minded Idealism is hardly untrodden ground. That doesn't mean it's a lovely way to frame your moral conflict of course. I can't wait to read the full interview but the total lack of mentioning choice so far makes me think it will be a linear game. Which is fine, most JRPGs I love are linear with no branching routes. Just, being an Atlus game with such a premise, I was really wondering.

We know it has the same calendar where each month has some looming deadline like P5, so seems likely that it's linear fitting that structure. They have mentioned that choosing where to travel in a limited time is an important part of the game, though likely that's the equivalent of choosing which social link characters to visit each day in the month.

Arist posted:

I dunno about Metaphor, honestly. I know they haven't really started fully promoting it yet, but what I'm seeing isn't doing much for me.

Yeah to me the most disappointing thing to me would be if it's basically just a fantasy themed reskin of Persona 3-5 like the opening hours of SMT4 were a fantasy reskin of SMT.... which seems increasingly likely given the information revealed and what it might mean for the actual game. Which is sort of funny since in that case it would have arguably less of a distinct identity than a lot of the SMT spinoffs did since you at least had stuff like Raidou and Devil Survivor that had pretty radically different styles of gameplay compared to each other. Though in my mind it's basically already become "Persona 6" rather than an entirely new game concept like they were hyping up years ago when they had no idea what the game would be. I'll still likely buy it which is more than I can say for the Persona 3 remake.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 20, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
This is more info, though less outright statements and more analysis.

I listed the four starting playable characters-Hero, Strohl, Hulkenberg, Heismay.

If you pause at a right moment in the trailer, you can see Junah (blonde girl with a forehead that puts Haru to shame) saying a line that ends with "but it's thanks to you that I awakened my Archetyp(e)". (it cuts off before the e arrives but that's clearly what it's called.)

In a JP stream, we have this image:

Strohl, Hulkenberg, Heismay, Junah (who's big eyes seem to mark her as a Nydia tribe member). Then there's the girl in the center, who's third eye on her forehead clearly marks her as the Mutsutari member, and the person in the suit at the far right back.

We also have this bit from the trailer:

The fact that this party member is elderly would probably put him in the Rogue tribe. We have Maria, a girl with wings, obviously Ichthyia, which leaves just Palipas as unrepresented so far. (Maria's not hard confirmed to be a party member, she might be a friendly NPC-confidant, possibly a shopkeeper of some sort, but she could be.)

There's also these Archetypes themselves. We've seen them next to the party member's HP and MP bars, and they seem to have classic fantasy class names: So far I've counted "Seeker", "Brawler", "Healer", "Warrior", "Knight", and "Mage" in the newest trailer. The previous one had "Thief" as well, and this screenshot from another source has "Soulhacker", "Trickster", "Paladin" and "Ninja".

Here's the thing that gets me: In a lot of RPGs with class systems, like the FF1, 3 and 5 'trilogy', the Bravely games, Crystal Project etc. you have a starting party that never changes (yes I know Galuf but mechanically) so you can customize them to your heart's content. Why have more than 4 party members in this case?

There's the obvious answer of 'Protag is free to use any, all the others are locked to 1, with an upgrade' ala Persona but if you peruse everything, Hulkenberg uses Knight, Healer and Paladin. So it's not just that.

My guess? Everyone has a smaller subset of personal classes that can be customized, and there is overlap between characters but nobody's ever 1-to-1. Feel free to share a dissenting opinion/analysis, however, this is pure speculation on my part.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
honestly some really intrepid mining of the content released so far i'm impressed

but i don't think i care about this game, i will probably play it and forget it

claw game handjob posted:

I feel like, especially with polishing up P3 in a new fancier edition, and just the blatant artwork similarity in character designs, I'm gonna shoot my shot early. This new game is going to have a twist halfway in that it's all in the head of a statuefied P3 protag.

ImpAtom posted:

We still haven't gotten the required SMTV with a new lady character yet.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I liked Soul Hackers 2. :)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i think i'm going to play smt 2 again, is there a better translation available than the one from a decade ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

hubris.height posted:

i think i'm going to play smt 2 again, is there a better translation available than the one from a decade ago?

theres a recent qol patch for that ver that standardizes some names and stuff but otherwise no https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6712/