Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
MultiMC is a good choice for dealing with mods too, it's been very easy for me, but I don't know if I would recommend it for kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The basic answer is figure out what modpacks his YouTube channels are using and install one of those so he can play along. You can pick and choose individual mods, but there's a lot of basic quality stuff that isn't obvious, and as soon as you want two different mods to work together you start needing the integration work and testing that the modpacks have done for you, and the YouTubers almost certainly aren't playing with individual mods.

Minecraft modding tends to lag behind the vanilla release by a year or more. 1.19 mods & modspacks are very mature at this point, while 1.20 is just barely six months old -- 1.20 modpacks are still incomplete and under development and lots of familiar mods still haven't updated.

Modpacks tend to go in three different categories -- kitchen sink, curated, and directed challenges.

The line between kitchen sink packs and curated packs is blurry: kitchen sink packs try to include as much as possible and make everything work together with no real concern for balance; curated modpacks tend to select one good mod in each category, attempt to maintain overall game balance and are often built around themes like fantasy magic or Pokemon or gigantic absurdly complex factories.

Directed challenge modpacks are basically the descendants of vanilla challenge maps like Skyblocks. Some are literally Skyblocks but with mods, some are light narrative guided tours through a bunch of different mods (e.g. FTB Inferno has you damned to live on the Nether roof and makes you master a bunch of magic mods and MineColonies in order to return to the Overworld and kill the demon), some have entire story quests and so on, Vault Hunters gates all mods behind a rogue-like time-attack dungeon looting game. Difficulty in these kinds of modpacks varies wildly and is often configurable and they're generally for people who are very familiar with modded Minecraft and want a new challenge.

If you don't know what you want to do, you're better off starting with a kitchen sink modpack that'll let you fool around with anything that strikes your fancy. Unfortunately, the only real choice for that is All The Mods 8, which is problematic in a "we don't mind trans people but don't want them shoving it in our faces" behind-the-scenes modteam drama sort of way. This hasn't translated into the modpack itself, though; the drama went down in the ATM6 time frame, and they've kept adding the LGBTQ+-friendly mods to ATM7, 8 and 9. Don't contribute to their Patreon or use their server-hosting affiliate links. ATM8 is based on 1.19 and is basically in maintenance mode, ATM9 is based on 1.20 and is in feature-incomplete active development. One of the distinguishing features of ATM is a quest book that does a good job of walking you through a bunch of different mods in the modpack (as well as the base game), which is hugely useful since Minecraft and Minecraft mods generally aren't any good at doing that themselves.

On the more curated side is Valhelsia 5, which focuses on a limited set of mature, feature-complete machine and magic mods. Where ATM is happy to include mods that duplicate each other's functionality, mods that are half-baked and incomplete, mods that nobody cares about and so on as long as they don't impact stability or performance, Valhelsia leans towards only one good mod in any given category. I haven't touched Valhelsia since version 3, and I'm not likely to ever use it again as long as it chooses Applied Energistics 2 over Refined Storage. Momentum on the project seems to have slowed as its entire user-base was eaten alive by ATM.

Another choice is FTB Presents Direwolf20, which is basically "the mods that YouTuber Direwolf20 likes". If this is who your kid is watching right now, then FTB Presents Direwolf20 1.20 is the no-brainer choice. If your kid is watching Hermitcraft play Vault Hunters, then, well Vault Hunters is a hardcore pack for experienced players and I don't recommend it at all.

In order to play modded Minecraft, you need a launcher. The two major players are Curseforge and FTB. FTB basically exists for modpacks made by the FTB Team, although it can download and install Curseforge modpacks. Meanwhile Curseforge is the dominant Minecraft modding host used by everything else. Curseforge is a slimy capitalistic ad-infested endeavor which quite lot of Minecraft players and modders hate, which has lead to a proliferation of other mod launchers.

The power user's choice is Prism Launcher, which is a fork of MultiMC. MultiMC was the former launcher of choice, but its original creator vanished after giving a bunch of other people GitHub access and they kept the project going for years without him. He suddenly reappeared and revoked all their GitHub access when they made MultiMC woke by adding a Contributor Code of Conduct. So everybody who was actually doing the work on MultiMC forked the project into Prism Launcher and kept going. It can download and install mods and modpacks from Curseforge, from Modrinth (an up-and-coming Minecraft mod host created because everybody hates Curseforge), from several other older sources, and it can import modpacks from the locally installed FTB launcher (but not download because FTB asked them to remove that feature). It also can create and export your own custom modpacks.

The final issue is multiplayer -- Minecraft Realms doesn't support mods so it can't be used. The various different modpacks and proprietary mod launchers tend to have affiliate deals with various different hosting providers if you want to rent a turn-key server solution on a monthly basis, but that's overkill for two people in the same house. PC Minecraft has an "Open to LAN" button in the pause menu that will make the currently loaded game visible to other Minecraft clients on the local network, and this still works with mods. So for your scenario, you'd want the game world to be on your kids PC so he can play without you at any time, but when you want to join him, he can "Open to LAN" and you can connect from your PC. But multiplayer modded Minecraft chews up RAM and CPU like crazy, so your kids PC would have to be beefier than you'd expect than for unmodded single-player Minecraft.

Oh, and the defining characteristic of Minecraft modpacks is that all the keybindings are hosed up -- every single key on the keyboard will be bound to multiple different functions, and you'll often find yourself pressing a key to do something for one mod and it will either do several different things from several different mods simultaneously because all the mods are responding to the key event or it will do nothing at all because another mod is intercepting the key event before it gets to the mod you were trying to use. Whenever you start using something new in a new mod, there's a decent chance you'll find yourself searching the keybindings menu for conflicts and clearing or remapping things.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
GDlauncher is still extremely easy to use, and compatible with even the modpacks that try to exclude it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

Hey my 7 year-old has caught wind of some goofy (but age appropriate) youtube channels that have been using all kinds of minecraft mods, so now he wants to try out some minecraft mods for himself. Up to now we've only played together on the Bedrock edition on Switch, and after reading the OP I get the sense that we need to be using the Java edition on PC - that doesn't surprise me at all. Also, to play together I'm guessing we'd need 2 PCs with a copy of the game each. Tell me if that's wrong please. I wanted to get us set up with 1 copy working before buying a 2nd, treating it like a christmas present

Anyway, I'm looking for mod suggestions for a 7 year-old. What's the coolest-rear end kid-friendly poo poo you've played recently? We perused curseforge together and he identified an Epic Knights armor mod that looks spiffy, but it's literally just a weapons and armor pack. He's mostly interested in Creative Mode. More recommendations please, if you don't mind!

Oof okay. So yeah, seconding the suggestion of finding out what kind of stuff the channels he watches use. That said if he just wants to play with Creative mode that makes stuff a little more complicated because what does he want to do? The Direwolf20 modpack suggestion will give your kid a lot of things to make but they are survival mode oriented, there won't be any use for most of it in creative.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Just creative mode? Maybe All The Mods 8.
For learning modded Minecraft I'd normally say something like FTB Academy or FTB University.

Without direction or a quest book in the mod pack it's easy to get overwhelmed and frustrated as an adult, let alone at 7. Which makes Direwolf20 is either a great or a terrible suggestion. If they're already watching that guy and following along it could good, but it has no quest book and wouldn't be the best to just drop the two of you in.

For your case I suggest using Essential or Mine Together for multiplayer. IME this excludes GDLauncher. The other option is setting up or renting a server, which is complicated but maybe fun if you like setting up tech.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Anyway, I'm looking for mod suggestions for a 7 year-old. What's the coolest-rear end kid-friendly poo poo you've played recently? We perused curseforge together and he identified an Epic Knights armor mod that looks spiffy, but it's literally just a weapons and armor pack. He's mostly interested in Creative Mode. More recommendations please, if you don't mind!

start him on gregtech new horizons

also, just to flag that if you have gamepass on pc you have access to minecraft java, so you can grab a trial or a dollar month or something.

then you can muck about with launchers etc, check the process, and nail down whether it's 7-yr-old-friendly before shelling out for the licence keys

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
The children yearn for the mines.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Minecraft worlds are based on Arkansas.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Welp, I'm back up to MV in GTNH again. :q:

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
After having played Nomi I really want to try GTNH but I can't get past how any horrendous decisions they made to artificially make everything take away longer and be more frustrating.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I can't think of anything that's actively frustrating. The initial bronze age is pretty rough but it's mainly just a lot of busywork finding ore veins and processing enough ore to get off the ground and into more efficient tools.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I convinced 2 of my friends to play Minecraft with me and I set up a server on a little computer I have at home that I use to run bunch of other containers.

I'm running something called MCSManager which is like a web panel thing https://mcsmanager.com/

Is there something better?

My main question is: what are my options if I want to add small tweaks to the vanilla instead of a whole modpack? Is that even possible/something that people do? And if it is, how would I do it? I'm technically proficient but not sure where to start.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MCSManager seems to be largely undocumented and I'm not going to install it to poke around in the UI, but it looks like you can just upload and run Minecraft instance zip files?

So you may be able to create a local instance using Prism, install whatever mods you want there, and then export it as a CurseForge zip file and upload.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

pseudorandom name posted:

MCSManager seems to be largely undocumented and I'm not going to install it to poke around in the UI, but it looks like you can just upload and run Minecraft instance zip files?

So you may be able to create a local instance using Prism, install whatever mods you want there, and then export it as a CurseForge zip file and upload.

Yeah, that should work. In Prism I've only see modpacks, is that correct or was I not looking well enough?

And I'll take any recs on web panel/management things, but I suppose people that want that just pay for third-party hosting?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Whoops, I started building my first setup for creating polyethylene in GTNH right after dinner, and when I looked up again it was 1:30AM :v: I forgot how satisfying managing to create things in this was.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Been playing with a fairly vanilla mod called one chunk at a time and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, it reminds me a lot of how minecraft felt originally, you're basically required to strip mine and explore and it's pretty fun.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Thumbtacks posted:

Been playing with a fairly vanilla mod called one chunk at a time and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, it reminds me a lot of how minecraft felt originally, you're basically required to strip mine and explore and it's pretty fun.

What are the requirements for beating the mod? If you have to kill the ender dragon that's a big ask... unless the abnormal chunk generation can spawn a stronghold closer to you than normal?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

McFrugal posted:

What are the requirements for beating the mod? If you have to kill the ender dragon that's a big ask... unless the abnormal chunk generation can spawn a stronghold closer to you than normal?

Honestly that's a good question, I'm not quite sure there's an end point. I think it's still in development? Smart thing to do is spawn an end portal chunk but make the spawner recipe something stupid or time consuming, but afaik that doesn't exist yet.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

It turns out if you make a zoo out of Alex's Mobs animals it does not run very well. Whales do NOT like to be in raised artificial aquariums.

We're probably saying goodbye to the mod. For every fantastic mob like seals and racoons there's something annoying like flies or birds caught on something invisible. We considered configuring it, but in the pursuit of performance and stability it makes more sense to cut it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Heran Bago posted:

It turns out if you make a zoo out of Alex's Mobs animals it does not run very well. Whales do NOT like to be in raised artificial aquariums.

We're probably saying goodbye to the mod. For every fantastic mob like seals and racoons there's something annoying like flies or birds caught on something invisible. We considered configuring it, but in the pursuit of performance and stability it makes more sense to cut it.

I havent tried it yet but theres another animal mod out that looks good.
Naturalist

https://modrinth.com/mod/naturalist
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/naturalist
Doesnt have near the amount of animals though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Yes5On3-M

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VegasGoat posted:

Yes you'll need two copies to play together on PC. It requires a Microsoft account, I'd recommend creating new accounts just for Minecraft for security reasons if you already have a Microsoft account you login to the PC with.

Security reasons?

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Security reasons?

I just don’t like the idea of my Minecraft password also giving access to my personal onedrive files and whatever else I have through Microsoft. I take more of a risk with my Minecraft login using it on different launchers, and mods sometimes have malicious code slip through.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mod launchers use Microsoft's OAuth workflow in your web browser.

The threat model would be mods and/or launchers looking around on your computer for credentials, and in that case they can just as easily steal both of your Microsoft accounts instead of just the one.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Minecraft accounts are also pretty hot targets in general so I get the logic. Personally I made a new Microsoft account when I was forced to migrate because at the time all the new TOS malarkey was getting me concerned that talking about pina coladas on private servers was going to get my account access universally revoked including my Outlook, or some poo poo.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

In the process of trying to figure out which of the 200+ mods in my custom pack is causing NBTs to change between crafted and dropped items.
Thought I could deal with it for awhile and progressed though Minecolonies fairly far but up to Refined Storage stage now and any autocrafting is broken because of 2 stacks of each item.
Also cant shift click a recipe in on half the items, only crafted ones work, not dropped unless hand placed.
Just cant figure out which mod is causing it.
Searching shows this problem has been around since at least 2014 and some threads show a fix and some dont.
None work in my case since those offending mods arent in this pack.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Minecraft accounts are also pretty hot targets in general so I get the logic. Personally I made a new Microsoft account when I was forced to migrate because at the time all the new TOS malarkey was getting me concerned that talking about pina coladas on private servers was going to get my account access universally revoked including my Outlook, or some poo poo.

Don't know if that could happen for Microsoft, but I know it will happen for google. But again, probably safe then sorry. There are trap servers that steal your login token or fake/impersonate your chat but unless you're joining servers at random it's highly unlikely for it to happen.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

OgNar posted:

In the process of trying to figure out which of the 200+ mods in my custom pack is causing NBTs to change between crafted and dropped items.
Thought I could deal with it for awhile and progressed though Minecolonies fairly far but up to Refined Storage stage now and any autocrafting is broken because of 2 stacks of each item.
Also cant shift click a recipe in on half the items, only crafted ones work, not dropped unless hand placed.
Searching shows this problem has been around since at least 2014 and some threads show a fix and some dont.

If you open your playerdata NBT file in NBTStudio while two of the offending items are in your inventory, you can check the exact data being added which might help you narrow down the culprit.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
GTNH updated again. They changed the distillery sound effect and I hate it quite a lot. Anyone know of any resource packs that replace GTNH machine sounds?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

GTNH updated again. They changed the distillery sound effect and I hate it quite a lot. Anyone know of any resource packs that replace GTNH machine sounds?

Not what you asked, but you can use muffler upgrades to kill the sounds from a machine.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

OgNar posted:

For me this was epicweaponstats.toml. At the very top I changed "Weapon Attributes" to false. This fixed it for all items moving forward. For the ones that already had the issue, any inventory entries with "tag: 0 entries" had to have that line deleted.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

dragonshardz posted:

If you open your playerdata NBT file in NBTStudio while two of the offending items are in your inventory, you can check the exact data being added which might help you narrow down the culprit.

Heran Bago posted:

For me this was epicweaponstats.toml. At the very top I changed "Weapon Attributes" to false. This fixed it for all items moving forward. For the ones that already had the issue, any inventory entries with "tag: 0 entries" had to have that line deleted.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Though I had been running through all of my mods and disabling them in chunks.
Turned out to be this mod.
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/laendli-transport
Though I dont see anything weird in its config or anything.
But disabling it makes the weirdness go away.

e: hmm, dont get the double stacks any more. And in Refined Storage I can take both stacks of items out and put them back in to make one.
But, still cant click the plus to add a recipe into the grid for something like diamond armor.
e2: spawned in some diamond blocks and tried with fresh dropped items and it works, old stuff still tainted somehow, but can work with this.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 19, 2023

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Hey all - I'm on the hunt for a new modpack for a small friend-server and could do with some recommendations.

We were using the "Abepack" on FTB, mostly because it had a good mix of exploration (new dungeons, new bosses, heavily weighted towards new biomes), tech and a lot of nice decoration mods. Wasn't perfect but it had a fairly good mix of new stuff that wasn't all just feeding into the normal modded-minecraft-tech-loop, which can usually turn people not into Minecraft-as-a-factory-game away.

Unfortunately it seems like a lot of the kitchen sink packs I've been looking at kinda just, slap a lot of tech/magic mods in and call it a day, which is a shame. So any suggestions would be appreciated!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The neat thing about kitchen sink modpacks is that you don't actually have to use any of the parts of it you're not interested in.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Jetamo posted:

Hey all - I'm on the hunt for a new modpack for a small friend-server and could do with some recommendations.

We were using the "Abepack" on FTB, mostly because it had a good mix of exploration (new dungeons, new bosses, heavily weighted towards new biomes), tech and a lot of nice decoration mods. Wasn't perfect but it had a fairly good mix of new stuff that wasn't all just feeding into the normal modded-minecraft-tech-loop, which can usually turn people not into Minecraft-as-a-factory-game away.

Unfortunately it seems like a lot of the kitchen sink packs I've been looking at kinda just, slap a lot of tech/magic mods in and call it a day, which is a shame. So any suggestions would be appreciated!

Have a look at Vault Hunters, it's incredibly well done and very much not your factorio in minecraft standard pack.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It's not Factorio because all the machine mods that you'll need to supply the vast quantities of resources for the grotesquely inflated prices are all arbitrarily gated behind an unlockable skill tree.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I had always wondered what a revival of Keepcraft would look like if you restricted the three teams to archetypes like magic/tech/primitive using lockouts like that, makem steal poo poo on raids to cross the type barrier. Then I realized it'd either be boring or zonkbusted with no inbetweens depending.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing through that pack I was making back a while ago and I think it still holds up, and playing through Regrowth and The Aftermath and now this is giving me inspiration to pick up development on it again. I still don't know what I want to do for the next phase of progression yet but I think it would be better if I went in a direction a lot less grand than I originally planned.

I just hope people can stand to play a 1.12 pack heh.

I'm also still waffling on the 'give people goals to figure out themselves' vs 'tell people the steps to take' angle. I personally like former but feel like I still need to signpost stuff the player should know better.

Annoyingly I accidentally deleted my dev environment ages ago, so I have to redo a bunch of work though heh.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 22, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hey how would I check what liquids are allowed for the Create hose pulley in a modpack if it's set "allow by tag"? I want a general answer for where to check what liquids are tagged with the right tag so I can check in other modpacks in the future, not just what the one modpack I'm using at the moment has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Black Pants posted:

I just hope people can stand to play a 1.12 pack heh.

How many of us are playing GT:NH (1.7.10), Nomifactory (1.12) and/or E2:E (1.12) again? :v: