Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Some time ago I changed a setting in Gmail so that it goes to the All Mail section/label by default. How do I switch back to Inbox instead? I've gone through all the settings I could find, but nothing seems relevant.

Edit: resetting Gmail by "uninstalling" it and re-updating it fixed this.

hooah fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Any recommendations for a good MySQL client app?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nova Launcher just got its first update since they were acquired by the spyware company two years ago :ohdear:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Tamba posted:

Nova Launcher just got its first update since they were acquired by the spyware company two years ago :ohdear:

Oh, hey, I got an update for an app that I forgot that I still have installed...

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Tamba posted:

Did they gently caress it up? How did they gently caress it up?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

great, android now allows apps to insert their own hooks into the text-selection popup and of course its immediately being abused and google didn't have the foresight to let you customize the behaviour

the "web search" shortcut is now pushed into the second level menu because the amazon app puts it's own search shortcut at the top, and the only workaround is to uninstall amazon and any other app that does that

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

repiv posted:

great, android now allows apps to insert their own hooks into the text-selection popup and of course its immediately being abused and google didn't have the foresight to let you customize the behaviour

the "web search" shortcut is now pushed into the second level menu because the amazon app puts it's own search shortcut at the top, and the only workaround is to uninstall amazon and any other app that does that

lol is this universal behavior, or just if you're trying to select text in the Amazon app? I'm assuming the former.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the API might allow apps to only show their shortcuts in certain contexts, i don't know, but amazon at least seems to have set it up as a wildcard that shows up in any context in any app

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

repiv posted:

the API might allow apps to only show their shortcuts in certain contexts, i don't know, but amazon at least seems to have set it up as a wildcard that shows up in any context in any app

lmfao, amazing, bravo :allears:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

repiv posted:

uninstall amazon and any other app that does that

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i will for now but lol if this catches on and you have to wade through 10 different app specific search shortcuts to find "select all" buried at the bottom

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's not new to Android, it's new to the Amazon app. Outlook had infected the menu with bing search for years.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if the API isn't new then it's all the more stupid that you can't force-disable shortcuts, nor does it learn which ones you never use and push them down the list

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Welp.

At least it's on the second screen for me. With the bing search.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

That's so weird, I definitely have the Amazon app on my phone but I'm not getting that on my end at all. I even went through and made sure all my apps were up to date, and still nothing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Based on bing search always having been in the overflow of that menu and amazon being front and center now, I think money's involved. If just any app could do it since Android 8 or whatever, we'd have seen more of it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Soysaucebeast posted:

That's so weird, I definitely have the Amazon app on my phone but I'm not getting that on my end at all. I even went through and made sure all my apps were up to date, and still nothing.

Maybe it's just the keyboard they have? I also have Amazon on my phone, but use Openboard as my keyboard and don't see any of that poo poo.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The keyboard isn't what generate these menus. Bing also definitely shows up while using openboard. I'm not installing the Amazon app to check.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So far I don't have them and I have Amazon installed. Not sure if it's a thing that hasn't been pushed my side, if it's an OS thing (Sony Xperia), a keyboard thing (Fleksy) or what.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't have Amazon installed and am not seeing any behavior like that. The pop-up is normal here, Pixel 6 running Android 14.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Just uninstalled the Amazon app and it got rid of that search option. Fine with me since I use the browser on mobile just as easily as the app.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I definitely had the amazon search yesterday but it's apparently dissappeared for me now

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gone for me too, they were getting hammered with 1 star reviews over it so i guess they decided it wasn't worth it

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

repiv posted:

gone for me too, they were getting hammered with 1 star reviews over it so i guess they decided it wasn't worth it

It's like they learned nothing from the Fire Phone. People, generally, don't want to have everything present them with the option to buy something. Good to hear they seem to have backed off on it for now. Wouldn't be surprised if they try again though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If that issue happens again, and you don't want to uninstall the offending app, consider sticking it into the work profile. The text select injection can't cross that barrier.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
What's better, TheoTown or Pocket City 2?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have a high school reunion coming up and I'm considering scanning my yearbooks to give digital copies out to people. I see there's dedicated book scanners you can buy, but wondering if anyone has ever used an app to scan books? Obviously I can just take a picture of each page and combine them manually but wondering if there's anything out there that handles all that itself.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

google drive has a pretty good free scanner built in which does cropping/alignment automatically and spits out a PDF

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

I have a high school reunion coming up and I'm considering scanning my yearbooks to give digital copies out to people. I see there's dedicated book scanners you can buy, but wondering if anyone has ever used an app to scan books? Obviously I can just take a picture of each page and combine them manually but wondering if there's anything out there that handles all that itself.

A utility scanning app like Adobe Scan will allow you to quickly fix keystoning/distortion (to a degree, it's really meant to correct scanning a flat piece of paper off-angle), apply a basic brightness/contrast filter, and will output a PDF with everything in order. If you're wanting it simply as a reference this would probably do the job. If you want a high quality digitization of the book then a dedicated scanner will be much better. Having the pages as flat as possible will be key either way.

Here's a book page scanned with the book laying on the table (so the page is curved), and then with me deliberately holding the page flat

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I used Adobe scan the last time. Free, but needs an account. It also applies some kind of really ugly post processing by default, but it gives you much more control then drive. At least att.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Microsoft Lens also has this functionality.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a SMS app with filters akin to Gmail? The political campaign texts are becoming too much. I just wanna hide any text that includes "stop to end"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google messages catches all campaign junk for me and plunks it in spam.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Man, Google likes you more than me I guess.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Heh Nova Prime on sale for $0.50. I really need to stop using it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm not sure why, but using a 3rd party launcher introduces a tiny bit of touch lag. Enough to annoy the hell out of me :mad:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The amazon search thing has reappeared, a Christmas gift from Jeff

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

The amazon search thing has reappeared, a Christmas gift from Jeff

I still haven't seen this show up on my Xperia. I'm not sure if that's due to Sony's updates being semi-old and lacking whatever api Amazon is exploiting or something else though. I do have a bing search option in the three-dot menu when I select stuff, presumably because I have Outlook installed though, so :shrug:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have bing too cos of edge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I already posted about this in another thread but this is more app related:

I am having problems with getting through to my sister when I need to because she has her WhatsApp messages notifications off or else she gets swamped she says. And calling is really expensive as we're on different continents.

Someone recommended Signal. But you can't add just one or two people. You'd have to block everyone else in your contacts list and that might be awkward.

Is there any IM app (ideally with voice calls but not necessarily) that you can add people without automatically showing up to every contact who also has your number? There were a few like AIM but they're not around anymore and I can't find anything on Google.