Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Drew Brees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Matt Hasselbeck and I guess Kirk Cousins.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm curious, are there any QBs who really make "The Leap" after their initial rookie deals? Brees/Favre come to mind but they had to change teams first, Steve Young started in the USFL.

Modern day, with all of the QB camps and such, it feels like if a guy hasn't figured it out in his first couple of seasons, at least year 3 barring Urban Meyer-like situations, it's not gonna happen.

Aaron Rodgers?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Geno Smith comes to mind

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Andy dalton

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
If Steve Young counts, Kurt Warner, but yea it’s rare

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

I remember Dalton being pretty good his first couple of seasons

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

I’ll never forget Jeffersonlives saying the panthers messed up drafting cam and should have gone AJ Green/Dalton instead.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

I’ll never forget Jeffersonlives saying the panthers messed up drafting cam and should have gone AJ Green/Dalton instead.

uhhh which one has more yards for the panthers this year?? i rest my case....

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

uhhh which one has more yards for the panthers this year?? i rest my case....

Andy threw for 360 yards in a spot start on the road.

Bryce has broken 200 yards four times, three times in blowouts with lots of garbage time, and has not yet cracked 250 in a game.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i think you missed my very good joke fiz

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

kidcoelacanth posted:

i think you missed my very good joke fiz

Much like Bryce misses receivers

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Does Bryce Young just not give a poo poo about football at this point? Perhaps he's the tiny version of Jamarcus Russell?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Shinji2015 posted:

Much like Bryce misses receivers

It's hard to crane your neck up that high.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Aspiring to the loftly heights of Andy Dalton

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Black Sunshine posted:

Does Bryce Young just not give a poo poo about football at this point? Perhaps he's the tiny version of Jamarcus Russell?

He is a pampered rich kid who’s spent his life in invitational qb camps, elite prep high schools, and Alabama. He’s always been surrounded by the best players and coaches. He’d lost like three games ever and and has never been challenged because of how good his teams were.

Dude looks loving miserable. Almost all athletes have that moment where they realize they don’t belong anymore. That their bodies just can’t keep up with everyone else.

Bryce is realizing he never had it.

Nov 6, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

He is a pampered rich kid who’s spent his life in invitational qb camps, elite prep high schools, and Alabama. He’s always been surrounded by the best players and coaches. He’d lost like three games ever and and has never been challenged because of how good his teams were/

lol this is like the majority of professional quarterbacks drafted high

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I respect both of you for not saying he was a spoiled little rich kid

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm curious, are there any QBs who really make "The Leap" after their initial rookie deals? Brees/Favre come to mind but they had to change teams first, Steve Young started in the USFL.

Modern day, with all of the QB camps and such, it feels like if a guy hasn't figured it out in his first couple of seasons, at least year 3 barring Urban Meyer-like situations, it's not gonna happen.

Cousins & Geno made the leap after like 6 years. Allen made the leap after two really bad years, so still on his rookie deal.

Possibly Fields or Love, although I guess Fields is still on his rookie deal and I guess it's still debatable if Love is NFL starting caliber.

I can't tell if Dak has finally made the leap this year or if it's just dunking on really bad opponents. He is so up and down.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

lol this is like the majority of professional quarterbacks drafted high

Yeah but they’re not 5’8.

MrLogan posted:

Dude, kettle.

5’10 thanks, King of the Manlets.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 19, 2023

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

He is a pampered rich kid who’s spent his life in invitational qb camps, elite prep high schools, and Alabama. He’s always been surrounded by the best players and coaches. He’d lost like three games ever and and has never been challenged because of how good his teams were.

Dude looks loving miserable. Almost all athletes have that moment where they realize they don’t belong anymore. That their bodies just can’t keep up with everyone else.

Bryce is realizing he never had it.

Dude, kettle.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

MrLogan posted:

Cousins & Geno made the leap after like 6 years. Allen made the leap after two really bad years, so still on his rookie deal.

Possibly Fields or Love, although I guess Fields is still on his rookie deal and I guess it's still debatable if Love is NFL starting caliber.

I can't tell if Dak has finally made the leap this year or if it's just dunking on really bad opponents. He is so up and down.

Love is starting caliber, just a question of what range he will fall into.

I think Fields could end up as starting caliber in the right situation, who knows if he will ever get there.

Dak is largely the same as most of his career except for lowering his turnovers significantly - so I guess that's a leap in a way.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

MrLogan posted:

Dak is just dunking on really bad opponents. He is so up and down.

It's this one.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Contextless stat comparisons are cool when they're extremely funny.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
now i want to see Daniel Jones get his eyebrows trimmed and grow his hair out

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

MrLogan posted:

Dude, kettle.

ive met Fiz, he would look less out of place on the football field than loving Bryce

Nov 6, 2002

Relentlessboredomm posted:

ive met Fiz, he would look less out of place on the football field than loving Bryce

Size wasn't the kettle he meant.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

zimbomonkey posted:

AJ green was very good, yes

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Vox Nihili posted:

After watching the Niners-Eagles game I do not think Hurts could replace Purdy, he just does too much stupid poo poo under pressure and the Niners o-line isn't good enough to give him time to operate. It's a below-average o-line! Nobody mentions that in the discussion of all the incredible weapons and tools Purdy has of course.

This is why I’m convinced that Steve Young is a top 3 all time QB. When Montana played for the 49ers he had a very good offensive line. Over time, the team began spending all of its money on skill players and big names, and neglected the offensive line. When Young took over the line was bad and he was dodging or even running for his life on almost every drop back. He still produced incredible results year after year.

Young never got the credit he was due because everyone was so emotionally invested in anointing Joe Montana as the goat, Mr Cool savior of the 49ers, but Young was actually better than Montana.

Nov 6, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

It's a below-average o-line!

Disagree there. Have you seen the state of oline play in the league?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

49ers o line might not quite be in the, like, top 10 on the pass rush (aside from future HOFer Trent Williams), but without checking the stats, they've gotta be top 5 when it comes to the run.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

biceps crimes posted:

49ers o line might not quite be in the, like, top 10 on the pass rush (aside from future HOFer Trent Williams), but without checking the stats, they've gotta be top 5 when it comes to the run.

I don't think Brandon Thorn rates them in the top 10, but I'm far from an o-line expert and couldn't tell you. What I can say is most of their run success comes from running left (behind Trent Williams), so whatever their success rate is, it's heavily skewed by that.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
PFF has them as the #20 o line in the league, with yes their run blocking being much better than their protection

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh PFF?

Nov 6, 2002

I don't care what PFF says, the eye test says that they are better than average.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The new QB School video has some nice Niner o-line samples, specifically these timestamps lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J_f-ixz720&t=744s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J_f-ixz720&t=1519s

That second one is such an "oh no"

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I don't think the Niners o-line is very good besides Trent but I think everyone hates their o-line nowadays so maybe "not very good but you have Trent Williams" is just what a good modern o-line is.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Papercut posted:

The new QB School video has some nice Niner o-line samples, specifically these timestamps lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J_f-ixz720&t=744s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J_f-ixz720&t=1519s

That second one is such an "oh no"

In that second clip, Garoppolo gets sacked for a 10 yard loss there 100% of the time. Purdy is good to react to instant pressure and keep his eyes downfield still.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

biceps crimes posted:

I don't know about top five but you are correct in that they're much better blocking for the run than on defending the pass rush. They're rated something like bottom 10 or 12 for pass rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

specifically runs to the left work because of Trent Williams, the rest of the O-linemen are middling to bad

the center got pancaked several times against the loving Cardinals