Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Archer666 posted:

Out of all the ideas you could throw a copyright infringement shitfit about, sun powers has to be the stupidest lol

December is a big month for writers this year because someone wrote a fanfic sequel to LOTR then sued amazon claiming they had been using his material in their bad show and to everyone's surprise he lost
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1736792439128551765?t=0G30sz5fbTup9Psm8ZsubA&s=19

Also another potential new thing going down is this (Kiki is a literary agent) https://twitter.com/kianangu/status/1736960309645230213?t=M-5OoHatsHn6CzxOhZmcsQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

author Demetrious Polychron

oh word?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

If I write a hundred novels over the rest of my time on Earth I'll never come up with a more scifi name than "Demetrious Polychron"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdBxqMPbMho

This is a Demetrious Polychron

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Libluini posted:

There's a German author who wrote about night powers and it amuses me to no end that we live in a world where it is possible a dipshit could try to claim they copyrighted the Night and attempt to sue him

Nolan Batman: “I. COPYRIGHTED. THE. NIGHT.” And then Wayne Enterprises sues the gently caress out of this guy.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcAVh8hN-j4

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

It's really quite the challenge to keep up with all these different dramas. It's like there's a couple of new ones every day to go along with all the others unfolding.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Kim Justice posted:

It's really quite the challenge to keep up with all these different dramas. It's like there's a couple of new ones every day to go along with all the others unfolding.

It’s Dramacember

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think Sluggy Freelance is still running.

I have a measure of respect for Sluggy Freelance and Pete Abrams. He never went on to bigger things like Penny Arcade, or fell into the void like Megatokyo, or went bug-gently caress crazy like... so many others.

The comic isn't good, but he's been at it for twenty-six years, patiently churning out stories for his audience. That's an admirable degree of quiet dedication to a craft.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

sluggy occupies the same space as hagar the horrible or blondie. you're not really sure why they still exist but they do and they're still the same thing as ever. it's a much more "traditional comics" path than most webcomic artists manage to go down

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

J Sawyer of Fallout, Pentiment and etc uploads his game developers session to a general audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhZcNA16m8A

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I catch up on Sluggy Freelance every two or so years and plot threads have been getting resolved and things have been (seemingly) escalating towards a conclusion the last few times so it's been very odd.

A lot of that first generation of webcomics artists really, really wanted to make a newspaper comic.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

that’s a hell of a wig

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Arivia posted:

Mitten Squad, who did fallout challenge runs on youtube, has died: https://www.reddit.com/r/MittenSquad/comments/18lctpc/rip_mitten_squad_aka_paul/

RIP to a funny video games Youtube guy.

drat, RIP. This is extra depressing because he put his channel on hold for a significant time and was pretty candid on Twitter and community posts about his serious struggles with alcohol addiction. He would occasionally chime back in with sobriety milestones or admissions of relapses and updates on his health. Then he made a comeback after being sober for I think over a year, put out a few more videos, then disappeared again. Less than a month ago he posted another update saying he was still struggling but that he was still trying to get better and that he hoped to return soon. :smith:

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 19, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If only once, it would be nice if Donkey Kong said, “trans rights.”

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laYu-KJ-GYk&t=2717s

It's worth remembering that the song was originally in the context of BG3 character creation (45:37). He was talking about how he likes having different body types available for female characters, not just being horny out of nowhere.

I didn't realize he had music keyed up for that and everything in the stream. I figured it was added after the fact.

Jocat mostly seems like an alright guy. I think he was tired up in D&D actual play drama wasn't he?

Mostly I remember him for the crap guide to monster hunter. It got brought up in that thread so much that I always figured he was a goon or goon adjacent. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDnRMnDDjAzK3uOpcNSowUGVx4OBpsgya&si=7EMvcOdQtAVXGyeN

I thought I remember a thing where the DM for their stream was outed as a abusive shithead and everyone in the group scattered on the winds.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
quote not edit

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

After being the target of legal threats, Muta dropped the whole audio call with Jirard.
In case anyone wants to hear the whole conversation.
https://youtu.be/uVr883oXApc?si=tAktJXVfX0EWB3mR

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

Jocat mostly seems like an alright guy. I think he was tired up in D&D actual play drama wasn't he?

Jocat wasn't really involved in that drama. He played in one of that DM's games and didn't have a good time.

The DM in question was doing way worse stuff outside of Jocat's game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

After being the target of legal threats, Muta dropped the whole audio call with Jirard.
In case anyone wants to hear the whole conversation.
https://youtu.be/uVr883oXApc?si=tAktJXVfX0EWB3mR

the completionist comes off terribly in this lol. hes going 'so you guys arent going to make videos about this haha' constantly and barely mentioning actually donating the money until prompted

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

SimonChris posted:

It's worth remembering that the song was originally in the context of BG3 character creation (45:17). He was talking about how he likes having different body types available for female characters, not just being horny out of nowhere.

uh sure lol

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

it's horny but respectfully horny idk what traction you could really make out of it

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Endorph posted:

the completionist comes off terribly in this lol. hes going 'so you guys arent going to make videos about this haha' constantly and barely mentioning actually donating the money until prompted

Yeah, if he was upfront about waiting to have enough money to give a meaningful donation, there probably wouldn't be a story, but the fact that he acted like the money was actually going to someone is a major problem that he can't explain away. He was still actively searching who to give to the money to, but also claimed he partnered with specific organizations and that the charity was a major source of funding for one of them.

Also, I'm not an accountant so I'm not sure if its normal or not, but if Indieland had expenses, I'd assume a normal charity would take the money, and then pay it back to indieland so there is a public record of funds received/what was spent. It seems shady to say the money is going to the Open Hand Foundation, but some of it never reaches the charity. Maybe that is common practice though to cut down on transaction fees.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 19, 2023

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

There are also a ton of other events like golf tournaments and donations from Jamie Lee Curtis's foundation that aren't accounted for in that 600k too if I understand everything correctly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SimonChris posted:

It's worth remembering that the song was originally in the context of BG3 character creation (45:17). He was talking about how he likes having different body types available for female characters, not just being horny out of nowhere.
to be clear dude was absolutely just being insanely horny and the 'sex positivity' angle is lame. however, he is free to be horny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if anything, and this is not to justify the people who sent him pipebombs in the mail (dark lol), but i think what bothered people about it is that people were trying to spin that angle instead of just saying he wants to gently caress 2b. people saw through that. ergo, there was a temptation to tear him down and 'expose' him for what he was obviously doing. however those people are still insane because it doesnt matter at all and it has no bearing on reality.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Endorph posted:

to be clear dude was absolutely just being insanely horny and the 'sex positivity' angle is lame. however, he is free to be horny

i dont think he needs to be "run off the internet" (aka voluntarily leaving when put under pressure lol) but i find it genuinely grotesque to be subject to this cloying poo poo as a woman where we all celebrate how fuckable we are....but feministly!!!!

e: like the appropriate response is a single "ugh" or a gagging sound. i dont think he should be killed...........yet

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
*screaming to the heavens voice* he just likes video game boobs

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, I'm not an accountant so I'm not sure if its normal or not, but if Indieland had expenses, I'd assume a normal charity would take the money, and then pay it back to indieland so there is a public record of funds received/what was spent. It seems shady to say the money is going to the Open Hand Foundation, but some of it never reaches the charity. Maybe that is common practice though to cut down on transaction fees.

Yeah, if nothing else, I'm hoping that either Jirard doesn't run any more Indielands, or that his credibility is shot enough that no one actually gives to it. One of the points he said repeatedly over the years is that subs, bits and merch sales would go directly to OHF, and that they wouldn't touch a cent of it, then when he did his apology video, he said that whoops, actually the money raised from subs, bits and merch sales instead went to offset part of the cost of Indieland (which I'm pretty sure would be a tax write-off for the Completionist's business anyways) and none of that money made it to the OHF.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's important to keep in mind that DJ Assault's "rear end N Titties" is written in the context of celebrating the inherent beauty in all body types of women of color.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Are we still talking about the dorky Lizzo rap cover about thicc butts?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Are we still talking about the dorky Lizzo rap cover about thicc butts?

nevermind we should kill him now

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i love women in all of their forms: 2b, chun li, miss pacman, baiken guilty gear, dragons crown, and skyrim cbbe mod

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Endorph posted:

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

fun hater posted:

i dont think he needs to be "run off the internet" (aka voluntarily leaving when put under pressure lol) but i find it genuinely grotesque to be subject to this cloying poo poo as a woman where we all celebrate how fuckable we are....but feministly!!!!

e: like the appropriate response is a single "ugh" or a gagging sound. i dont think he should be killed...........yet

i think once people are sending you pipe bombs it's a bit hard to call it 'voluntarily' but thats just me

fun hater
May 24, 2009

mycatscrimes posted:

i think once people are sending you pipe bombs it's a bit hard to call it 'voluntarily' but thats just me

im going to call that a lie. i think hes lying

fun hater
May 24, 2009

no one sends you a pipe bomb for being straight and if you believe that youre dumb

lmfao he said he got "suspicious packages" and nothing else.

e: [as deliberately mysteriously as possible about goatse] an email containing an image of a man being tortured was sent to me

fun hater fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 19, 2023

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

fun hater posted:

im going to call that a lie. i think hes lying

agreed, people on the internet have NEVER done insane poo poo for the pettiest of reasons

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I mean he didn't say pipe bombs he just said he was sick of getting suspicious packages to his address and everybody phising for his private information to dox him. People are most joking about pipebombing one heterosexual guy I'm pretty sure.

fun hater posted:

e: [as deliberately mysteriously as possible about goatse] an email containing an image of a man being tortured was sent to me
Even of it wasn't literally anthrax I would still be creeped out by a random internet stranger sending me hatemail to my house tbh

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
His internet post just said strange packages were being sent to him and his relatives. Sucks that the guy who made amusing Monster Hunter meme videos got hassled because Twitter needed someone to be mad at and didn't notice the book drama.