Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

fun hater posted:

no one sends you a pipe bomb for being straight and if you believe that youre dumb

lmfao he said he got "suspicious packages" and nothing else.

i do believe the internet is capabable of immense casual cruelty over people being cringe, and i do not think harassing some rando dude is a feminist issue that makes me feel protected on the internet as a gay woman

i think it's people dressing up their 4chan level glee at having a target in language that makes them feel righteous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

agreed, people on the internet have NEVER done insane poo poo for the pettiest of reasons

you think someone was willing to rack up terrorism charges over being heterosexual and that "man sent pipe bomb for being straight" wouldnt be headline news in our lovely nation??

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

agreed, people on the internet have NEVER done insane poo poo for the pettiest of reasons

also, people never lie on the internet

that's just rude

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Randalor posted:

Yeah, if nothing else, I'm hoping that either Jirard doesn't run any more Indielands, or that his credibility is shot enough that no one actually gives to it. One of the points he said repeatedly over the years is that subs, bits and merch sales would go directly to OHF, and that they wouldn't touch a cent of it, then when he did his apology video, he said that whoops, actually the money raised from subs, bits and merch sales instead went to offset part of the cost of Indieland (which I'm pretty sure would be a tax write-off for the Completionist's business anyways) and none of that money made it to the OHF.

TBH, I think his goose is absolutely cooked. Forget Indieland, I dunno if the guy can really come back from this at all video wise. I mean, this is a dreadful situation where at the very least we're looking at a quite staggering level of incompetence, or we're looking at something quite seriously malicious -- and...well, both of these things are catastrophic. His response video, filled with inconsistencies, irrelevant documents and topped off with freaking legal threats was just about the worst thing he could have done.

The thing that perhaps pisses me off the most is the whole "we wanted to make a big restricted donation" stuff, if that's even really true or not (we are kind of at a stage where just about anything out of Jirard's mouth can be questioned). It smacks to me of the whole purpose in the end just being a whole load of PR, if the donation was ever going to take place -- and pretty clearly it wouldn't have if it wasn't for Muta and Karl. All of this is other people's money donated in good faith, probably people with their own personal stories related to dementia, and that's how you treat it? As basicaly nothing but a way to increase your PR, or to put on a big show of making a huge donation at some point in the future, perhaps when your star's starting to wane a little? And that's a charitable reading of the whole deal. It just absolutely stinks. I mean, as pointed out in Karl Jobst's last video about this whole thing, a lot of the time you can specify where you want your donation to go to regardless of how much you're giving -- you certainly don't have to lay down anywhere near $600,000 for that.

There's quite a lot of other Retro Gaming creators who haven't exactly covered themselves in glory either, tbh. A lot of the kneejerk responses in defense of Jirard the second that he released his response or otherwise...yeah, those just look worse and worse. I do get it -- you really don't want to think of someone who's a colleague, or indeed a friend, as having done something terrible. I had a rather similar thing happen to me last year. But these guys just ended up coming in from a position of ignorance ('cause, y'know, Jirard is such a nice guy and that's how he always presented himself and all that bullshit) and now they've got their feet held over the coals too. Needless to say, it's not exactly being a good time for the whole retrogaming community -- a scandal like this seems to be the trigger for a lot of other people to highlight issues they have with a lot of the high-profile people in the community as a whole. It's almost like a one-two punch really, if you add in the section related to Cinemassacre in Hbomb's plagiarism video.

Even unrelated creators to the scene are having to deal with a bit of fallout from this, I noticed. When Defunctland did his own charity stream a few days ago (one where, as they often do, donations just go directly to the charity without any kind of middleman), he had to deal with the odd Jirard-related enquiry. It's a huge, terrible black mark. In short, seriously, gently caress the guy. I know that the last couple of times this topic got brought up here it kinda shifted more into how much of a dick Karl Jobst is (and...well, I can't say I'm particularly a fan or someone who's watched him beyond the videos covering this situation) but regardless of that...yeah, I don't see Jirard coming back from this at all, and I can't say I'm losing much sleep over that.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

mycatscrimes posted:

i do believe the internet is capabable of immense casual cruelty over people being cringe, and i do not think harassing some rando dude is a feminist issue that makes me feel protected on the internet as a gay woman

i think it's people dressing up their 4chan level glee at having a target in language that makes them feel righteous

casual cruelty=pipe bombing a family, not even the guy involved

fun hater
May 24, 2009

[five nights at freddy's-ishly] hes a bitch

e: first man in history successfully bullied for being straight. tbh "i was bullied offline by feminists and progressives who then tried to kill me over a youtube vid" sounds ummmm uhhh

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

mycot posted:

I mean he didn't say pipe bombs he just said he was sick of getting suspicious packages to his address and everybody phising for his private information to dox him. People are most joking about pipebombing one heterosexual guy I'm pretty sure.

Even of it wasn't anthrax I would still be creeped out by a random internet stranger sending me hatemail to my house tbh

i am happy to correct the record, guy was merely being harassed to the point people were doxing him and mailing poo poo to his home, a thing that is totally normal and nbd

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Libluini posted:

also, people never lie on the internet

that's just rude

No, one person on the Internet always lies, that's how you know which door doesn't have the tiger behind it

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

fun hater posted:

you think someone was willing to rack up terrorism charges over being heterosexual and that "man sent pipe bomb for being straight" wouldnt be headline news in our lovely nation??

Yes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The pipe bomb thing seems to have been telephone gamed. However *bravely* people shouldn't send pipe bombs through the mail, as that is a federal crime.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

fun hater posted:

casual cruelty=pipe bombing a family, not even the guy involved

yeah if you're merely being doxxed by freaks and having your family doxxed its nbd can't believe someone would call that being 'run off the internet'

fun hater
May 24, 2009

this isnt the first time youve taken an insane stance on something itt entirely bc im the one saying it so i guess its not surprising to admit to being a credulous moron out of a reactionary instinct lol

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

fun hater posted:

[five nights at freddy's-ishly] hes a bitch

e: first man in history successfully bullied for being straight. tbh "i was bullied offline by feminists and progressives who then tried to kill me over a youtube vid" sounds ummmm uhhh

Dude was harassed by chuds incels and puriteens and weird people who kept thinking the way he liked women meant he was trans because gender essentialism man just can't like woman this particular way. You don't habe to frame this was "I was cancelled by the left."

fun hater
May 24, 2009

mycatscrimes posted:

yeah if you're merely being doxxed by freaks and having your family doxxed its nbd can't believe someone would call that being 'run off the internet'

all of this information is already freely available legally online via voter registrations. no one has to work for it if they know your state and last name.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

fun hater posted:

this isnt the first time youve taken an insane stance on something itt entirely bc im the one saying it so i guess its not surprising to admit to being a credulous moron out of a reactionary instinct lol

I am out to get you, personally. Mm-hmm.

That's far more reasonable than chuddy types attacking a guy who enjoys doing gender nonconforming things.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Annointed posted:

Dude was harassed by chuds incels and puriteens and weird people who kept thinking the way he liked women meant he was trans because gender essentialism man just can't like woman this particular way.

lmfao at admitting getting successfully bullied by teens.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

fun hater posted:

all of this information is already freely available legally online via voter registrations. no one has to work for it if they know your state and last name.

That the same Rhetoric Kiwi farms uses to doxx trans people.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

fun hater posted:

how many packages did you send him

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Gas.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Annointed posted:

its literally describing how people get the information......did you think the unspoken part was "and therefore its good"???

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

wait did someone really call in a AC-130 kill streak on his family? that's hosed up.

e. lol this discourse is popping off lets goooo

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Annointed posted:

Yeah what the hell is with this "well it's PUBLIC" poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFGlA0XwK48

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Famethrowa posted:

wait did someone really call in a AC-130 kill streak on his family? that's hosed up.

Maybe he shouldn't have been such a scrub and let them spawn camp him enough to build up the streak in the first place.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

mycatscrimes posted:

how many packages did you send him

no one is allowed to try to lecture me about "being bullied off the Internet" when scott cawthon tried to say if his wife miscarried it would be my fault.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

fun hater posted:

lmfao at admitting getting successfully bullied by teens.

Adding with

fun hater posted:

its literally describing how people get the information......did you think the unspoken part was "and therefore its good"???

Your statement on harassment sure you care.

fun hater posted:

no one is allowed to try to lecture me about "being bullied off the Internet" when scott cawthon tried to say if his wife miscarried it would be my fault.

Being victimized by other harassers doesn't give you a pass to be a dick to others who got harassed.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
This is like the lamest thing to be an internet tough guy over.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

[person who has been aggressively anti advertising for 50000000 posts] gathering personal data is still bad, and the ease of accessing this data is and continues to be dangerous. the ease of access is a major problem

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

hey guys check out this video i made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42awuPx06e8

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The timeline of what happened because I only saw it briefly mentioned a couple pages ago is user Claire Penis posted the I Like Girls video saying she made it as an obvious joke, because JoCat's watermark is on the video the whole way through and the end of it has links to his socials and patreon. It was a "hey remember this lovely video lol" joke and her immediate reply to her own post about her partner going "wow this video sucks" is just even more proof she was not in any way shape or form trying to "steal" said video. It stayed pretty localized in her circle until JoCat RT'd it going "erm, actually I made this" which then blew it way the hell up and his fans didn't understand it was a joke and were accusing her of being an art thief (because theft is hot on everyones mind thanks to the recent good Hbomber vid). Claire started getting a lot of hate (if we are going off someone online saying they are getting death threats is proof they are getting death threats, she claimed she was getting them at this point) which caused her to private her account, and around the time JoCat released his im done blogpost she deactivated. Harassment is bad, weirdos that attacked JoCat offline are worse than any crime of being cringy he might have committed, and anyone that harassed Claire is just as bad. The new narrative I'm seeing being spun is if you dared to think his dumb video was annoying in any way you are basically the same as the person who sent a box of poo poo to his family, which is extremely not okay imo it's completely fine to think something sucks from a huge account without being lumped in with harassers.

Sorry if this didn't need a clarification post, I just thought an actual timeline of this particular instance of his video blowing up was maybe needed.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Annointed posted:

Adding with

Your statement on harassment sure you care.

Being victimized by other harassers doesn't give you a pass to be a dick to others who got harassed.

i dont think teens sent pipe bombs to a mans family for a song about liking women and i think its stupid to have willingly bought into such a stupid narrative

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Nazzadan posted:

Sorry if this didn't need a clarification post, I just thought an actual timeline of this particular instance of his video blowing up was maybe needed.

genuinely helpful. i literally forgot there was an actual women involved in this that was harrassed lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

drat.... don't let the haters get you down

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

fun hater posted:

I feel like the narrative you've constructed to be mad at RE:this whole JoCat situation and the narrative people are actually discussing are very different things...

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

fun hater posted:

i dont think teens sent pipe bombs to a mans family for a song about liking women and i think its stupid to have willingly bought into such a stupid narrative

sure but someone said a page ago that this was obviously a mischaracterization and this JoCat person never said they got a pipebomb, only weird packages from internet strangers

if your entire point here is "some people in this thread are kinda dumb for falling for a third hand lie" then...sure? it seems like you're awful hung up on this specific point which like nobody is really advocating anymore

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFNtJGNxr2A

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nazzadan posted:

yea this was a helpful breakdown

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Nazzadan posted:

The timeline of what happened because I only saw it briefly mentioned a couple pages ago is user Claire Penis posted the I Like Girls video saying she made it as an obvious joke, because JoCat's watermark is on the video the whole way through and the end of it has links to his socials and patreon. It was a "hey remember this lovely video lol" joke and her immediate reply to her own post about her partner going "wow this video sucks" is just even more proof she was not in any way shape or form trying to "steal" said video. It stayed pretty localized in her circle until JoCat RT'd it going "erm, actually I made this" which then blew it way the hell up and his fans didn't understand it was a joke and were accusing her of being an art thief (because theft is hot on everyones mind thanks to the recent good Hbomber vid). Claire started getting a lot of hate (if we are going off someone online saying they are getting death threats is proof they are getting death threats, she claimed she was getting them at this point) which caused her to private her account, and around the time JoCat released his im done blogpost she deactivated. Harassment is bad, weirdos that attacked JoCat offline are worse than any crime of being cringy he might have committed, and anyone that harassed Claire is just as bad. The new narrative I'm seeing being spun is if you dared to think his dumb video was annoying in any way you are basically the same as the person who sent a box of poo poo to his family, which is extremely not okay imo it's completely fine to think something sucks from a huge account without being lumped in with harassers.

no i think clarification was good, and necessary, thanks. that poor woman as well, wish it was in any way suprising no one is mentioning what happened to her when discussing this.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

fun hater posted:

People here are saying that was telephone, and Jocat's statement only said suspicious packages. Who are you are on about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I also kinda lost track of what Fun Hater is even mad at anymore.

Pipebombs may not happen over internet squabbles, but swatting does. So some extreme pettiness is definitely there.