Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

One of the nicer subversions BG3 does is completely change your perspective on certain characters once you really get to know them. Lae'zel and Astarion seem petty and/or cruel at first but end up being the most loyal ryde or die bitches on your squad, meanwhile Gale is just a total fuckboy no matter how hard you try.

Yeah 100%. Lae'zel and Astarion have a lot of heart when you get to know them. Gale has issues no matter what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm at the gauntlet of Shar and I promised the orthon I would find a loophole in his contract. I talked to a rat who taught me a spell to turn into a swarm of rats. This advanced the orthon's quest. But when I got back to him, I couldn't tell him about it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Spermando posted:

I'm at the gauntlet of Shar and I promised the orthon I would find a loophole in his contract. I talked to a rat who taught me a spell to turn into a swarm of rats. This advanced the orthon's quest. But when I got back to him, I couldn't tell him about it.

EXCUSE ME?!
How do you get that?!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Having Gale in my party early in my HM runs has been problematic as his necrotic aura keeps killing my people after he gets killed. Stays on after resurrecting too, not sure if it's a bug.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

EXCUSE ME?!
How do you get that?!

At the feet of the statue of Shar. But it's a document that describes a spell, not a magic scroll.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Spermando posted:

At the feet of the statue of Shar. But it's a document that describes a spell, not a magic scroll.

Oh...drat

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Having Gale in my party early in my HM runs has been problematic as his necrotic aura keeps killing my people after he gets killed. Stays on after resurrecting too, not sure if it's a bug.

working as intended, Gale is toxic af just ask his ex

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Spermando posted:

Get the rat mad so he (and his many, many fellow rats) attack you. The orthon is trapped because he is tasked with killing every Shar worshipper in the temple but could never find the last one. The scroll is the clue about why the last guy is so hard to find.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah 100%. Lae'zel and Astarion have a lot of heart when you get to know them. Gale has issues no matter what you do.

The scene after visiting Creche K'liir(or however the hell it's pronounced) when Kith'rak Voss visits your camp assuming you sided against Vlaakith (assuming you left him alive) remains one of my favorite moments in the whole game

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Spermando posted:

you gotta kill the rats. Go to the bottom of the big shar statue and murder a bunch of them. The swarm of rats will change back into a dude who you have to kill. Note that breaking the orthon’s contract I’m pretty sure will make Astarion leave you for good

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Toadsmash posted:

The scene after visiting Creche K'liir(or however the hell it's pronounced) when Kith'rak Voss visits your camp assuming you sided against Vlaakith (assuming you left him alive) remains one of my favorite moments in the whole game

That's a great one.

Re: Shar I actually had an interesting experience with that yesterday on my HM run. Instead of following the Displacer beast into the trap that Yurgir has laid for you I instead took a left and went around. There's a chest there which I guess belongs to Yurgir because I went and looted it and Yurgir went hostile without even talking to me like he normally would.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have no idea why people don't like Lae'zel, she's hilarious.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

you gotta kill the rats. Go to the bottom of the big shar statue and murder a bunch of them. The swarm of rats will change back into a dude who you have to kill. Note that breaking the orthon’s contract I’m pretty sure will make Astarion leave you for good
gently caress that then

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Devora Wilde's 13th BG3 stream: "What the hell is a spell slot?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=753a-91cy2U

This is definitely my favorite playthrough to watch and the only one I watch all the way through on youtube.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Astarion will not leave your party if you violate Raphael's deal in Act 2, even though he disapproves.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Wow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlK0vzcAUgY

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Lae'zel's dialogue and githyanki in general give me Klingon vibes

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Can’t wait to fight Gale in BG4 :allears:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Last night I was able to start my romance with Minthara and with the help of the mod I am rolling with a 9 person party which is honestly a bit much lol. And I still have two party members to go. So I probably won't be using this mod in other playthroughs. BUT it's really good at seeing who comments on what and where especially in the third act.

I'm also seemingly romancing Minthara and Shadowheart at the same time so we'll see what happens there. Also I was able to save nathaniel with Halsin with Minthara in the party. I don't know if there will be a me or her moment in act 3 I'll let yall know when I get there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I heard Minthara is the jealous type, so watch out.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Pellisworth posted:

I like when Proud Warrior Cultures produce stunted fuckwits because they obviously would

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

she's more-or-less the sexy bat lady version of TNG worf, right down to the "i can only enjoy sex if we're simultaneously fistfighting" bit

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Shard posted:

Last night I was able to start my romance with Minthara and with the help of the mod I am rolling with a 9 person party which is honestly a bit much lol. And I still have two party members to go. So I probably won't be using this mod in other playthroughs. BUT it's really good at seeing who comments on what and where especially in the third act.

I'm also seemingly romancing Minthara and Shadowheart at the same time so we'll see what happens there. Also I was able to save nathaniel with Halsin with Minthara in the party. I don't know if there will be a me or her moment in act 3 I'll let yall know when I get there.

Use the mod where they don’t join in combat so you aren’t rolling over the game. Unless that’s like what you’re into.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pellisworth posted:

They're extremely Fantasy Klingon, yes. A shame there's no gith Gowron to interact with.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Black Noise posted:

Can’t wait to fight Gale in BG4 :allears:

One of my favorite things in this game was PLOT SPOILERS the scheme to take something that was a level boss in the previous games and find a way to take it to its logical conclusion and make it a big problem. You also get the idea that it's not really a world ending problem because this is a place with planes and other realities and gods and if it becomes too bad AO would just smack it down. But it is a problem for this city and the people in and around it. I hope if there is another game they find a way to have the issue be something that uses the rules of the place in interesting ways like they did here. I love getting to Moonrise towers, seeing that big pit in the ground and saying oh I remember poo poo like that underneath Amn and in the Underdark I bet there's a loving brain around the bend!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

They're extremely Fantasy Klingon, yes. A shame there's no gith Gowron to interact with.

we're still a long time away from mocap tech that could accurately replicate robert o'reilly's eyes

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Black Noise posted:

Use the mod where they don’t join in combat so you aren’t rolling over the game. Unless that’s like what you’re into.

I'm a freak. Right now I'm playing on pc with mods and a wemod trainer while on PS5 I've been plucking away at tactician and when I do finish that I'll probably try an honor mode run on that.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I really do not like astarion, as a person, every convo i've had with him he's proven himself to be a perfect sociopath, I cannot imagine wanting to "romance" him, even if i ever do an "evil" playthrough

I would go so far as to argue that Astarion/resist Dark Uurge should be the canon romance. (act III durge) When Bhaal condemns you to slowly going insane he commiserates with you in a really emotional and heartfelt way, like he's finally dropping the snark persona. Alas, I'm already committed to Lae'zel.

Meanwhile, Shadowheart of all people is very victim-blamey about it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

all this shadowheart talk reminds me of the funniest accidental event i’ve triggered so far. in grymforge, my SH accidentally triggered initial dialogue with the npc who has the runepowder vial. instead of my tav doing the talking.

anyway there’s a special dialogue option for cleric of shar replying to that npc and lol welp naturally i tried it.

SH tells the gnome to just do it. the resulting explosion nearly wiped my party.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Can you still romance Minthara if you knock her out in act I? I rescued her in act II and she doesn't seem to do or say much yet, no approving or disapproving or anything?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Pellisworth posted:

tempest cleric, if you want to min-max you combo with sorceror but it's also strong as a pure class

What's the best way to use this? My wife is playing a pure Tempest Cleric in our co-op game, and while she does okay with it, it doesn't seem particularly special.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Gale sucks so much. When you find out his whole deal, not his background but his way to get supposed redemption from his background, he has this whole smug world weary protagonist syndrome about it all. It makes him both extremely believable and extremely annoying.

BG succeeds because it remembers that characters need genuine flaws to be compelling. So often RPG characters have a fraught background but no actual genuine flaws that make them interesting. I am not a fandom person cause I find it weird but people are gonna be arguing about these companions for a decade.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Network42 posted:

Can you still romance Minthara if you knock her out in act I? I rescued her in act II and she doesn't seem to do or say much yet, no approving or disapproving or anything?

Her romance is basically in Act 3 only.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

WhiteHowler posted:

What's the best way to use this? My wife is playing a pure Tempest Cleric in our co-op game, and while she does okay with it, it doesn't seem particularly special.

Tempest Cleric isn't really that strong on its own merits, despite the hype it gets here or elsewhere. The main weakness is you basically only have like three vectors for your gimmick (Shatter, Call Lightning, eventually Destructive Wave) and beyond it you're still just doing the normal Cleric things (i.e.: casting Spirit Guardians/Bless).

It usually needs specific gear - there's a bunch of stuff that rewards dealing Thunder damage, which is Tempest Cleric's bread and butter. The wiki has a bunch of gear that interacts with Reverberation, which specifically interacts with Thunder damage, you might want to check that and see if she's using any of it because that'll get more juice out of her gimmick. The Gloves of Belligerent Skies are in the Creche in Act 1 and are a Tempest Cleric staple if memory serves.

Alternatively, Tempest Clerics usually multiclass with Storm Sorcerer for extra Lightning/Thunder spells beyond Shatter/Call Lightning/Destructive Wave. Of the two, the Storm Sorc/Tempest Cleric multi is heavier on the Sorc than the Cleric part because the goal is to get Lightning Bolt (or Chain Lightning if you only want 1 level of Cleric) and abuse those with Metamagics + Channel Divinity.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 19, 2023

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

The essential combo is combining quickened spell to cast create water as a bonus action and then using the Channel Divinity to maximize your lightning damage on the targets that are wet (and therefore receive double lightning damage) to instantly delete foes.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Spermando posted:

gently caress that then

To be more specific - you need to kill the orthon for Raphael, so he will translate the runes on Astarion’s back. I assume you have this quest, since Raphael meets you outside the crypt. Once you’ve killed the orthon to satisfy Raphael’s request, then you can safely go back and kill the rat horde to get their loot - but you gotta do it in the right order.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
You know when you save the kid from the harpies and there’s a waterfall area close by with pillars you can jump on?

I used the super jump to get to the furthest one near the waterfall but you can’t jump in and there doesn’t seem to be anything.

Is it just an empty area? I know there’s a diggable chest but that seems to be all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

You know when you save the kid from the harpies and there’s a waterfall area close by with pillars you can jump on?

I used the super jump to get to the furthest one near the waterfall but you can’t jump in and there doesn’t seem to be anything.

Is it just an empty area? I know there’s a diggable chest but that seems to be all.

There's a harpy nets way off in the distance that way.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The waterfall is the one behind the merchant tiefling kid in the grove. There is a chest there iirc but you get to it from the grove side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Ohh i see,thanks guys.