Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Holy poo poo, Bjorn Nyland and his buddy are absolutely trashing on the new Model S build quality. So much water intrusion that the doors and windows don't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg06vzVxKRw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mysteryberto posted:

Sure I look very briefly at the temperature display after cranking my knob

How am I the first person to quote this

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Elviscat posted:

The car is flawless if you're the most insanely boring person in the entire world and never, ever interact with the non-driving-related features, I agree.

Also, no turns on your way to work, huh?

What do you do in your car other than drive it?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Work, sex, sleep, eat, cook, read, watch movies, play video games

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Cry, mostly.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Our next door neighbor is very obviously suffering from some sort of mental illness including, but not limited to, hoarding.

She goes at gets fast food and sits in the driveway of her house and eats. Literally feet from her house, she sits and eats in her car, very slowly.

It's baffling.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Holy poo poo, Bjorn Nyland and his buddy are absolutely trashing on the new Model S build quality. So much water intrusion that the doors and windows don't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg06vzVxKRw

Meanwhile Elon's talking about selling upgraded door seals on the cybertruk so it can be a boat. Does insurance cover deliberately driving your car into a lake?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Sit around and wait for dance practice to end.

One time I stayed all day in the parking lot of the library waiting for my wife to get out of school. We had to leave the VRBO at 11am and classes ended at 5pm, so me and the dog just hung out in the car writing code.

Well, the dog slept.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

morothar posted:

In contrast, and while y’all are getting your knickers in a twist here: our ID4’s cabin is warm, and the window has been defrosted when I get in a 6:50 in the morning. The heated seats and steering wheel are on as well, while my phone connects through CarPlay, and continues to play the podcast I was listening to while brushing my teeth and getting dressed.

The same thing repeats in the evening, and so, for 80% of the car’s use case, I never touch anything beyond the drive mode lever, the volume buttons, and the cruise control. Which work perfectly well, capacitive or not.

Yeah, that's how I feel about the Model 3's touch screen. I like the UI for setting things up while I'm stationary, and then I don't mess with it while I'm driving.

I think turn signals as buttons would drive me nuts, though.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

BAD AT STUFF posted:

I think turn signals as buttons would drive me nuts, though.

I thought this at first, and then I remembered life on the motorcycle, and that was okay, so whatever.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

cruft posted:

Sit around and wait for dance practice to end.

One time I stayed all day in the parking lot of the library waiting for my wife to get out of school. We had to leave the VRBO at 11am and classes ended at 5pm, so me and the dog just hung out in the car writing code.

Well, the dog slept.

I sit in my car for over an hour with A/C blasting writing code while I wait for my daughter to get off school. Beats the stop-and-go driving in traffic I'd have to do if I were to show up later.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What a clusterfuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3mFzh0KSk

Its worth a watch.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Kia in Canada is holding back cars from dealerships apparently because they think if their sales numbers are too strong this year the head office will cut their ad budget across the country next year

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kia-canada-car-sales-1.7063216

quote:

New Kia vehicles that have arrived from overseas are sitting on a storage lot in Wolverton, Ont., purposely locked up even though customers have been waiting months and months — some well over a year — to get their vehicles.

The new cars are being withheld from Kia's Ontario dealerships — and reportedly from many more across the country — as part of a controversial plan by Kia Canada to game the number of sales in the last six weeks of the year.

Go Public has obtained a video in which a Kia regional manager explains the scheme — passed down from top Kia executives — to more than 100 dealership reps in Ontario during a Nov. 17 video call.

"All of you are gonna be very unhappy with me today," said Kia's central region manager Vince Capicotto as he outlined the plan, which he said would roll out nationally.

Instead of shipping all the vehicles to dealerships, Capicotto told the dealers only some will be released — the rest will remain on various compounds until the new year.

The reason for this, he explained in the call, is to avoid appearing too successful in the eyes of headquarters in Korea.

"With the global slow down, Kia Canada wants to control wholesale and retail performance in 2023 to not show high over-achievement," he said.

"There's a high risk with over performance that Kia headquarters will not provide Kia Canada resources necessary in our budget for 2024 to have a successful year if we over perform for the balance of 2023 at too high a rate."

According to Capicotto, Kia Canada has hit its target of selling 84,000 vehicles for 2023. He said there was concern that if sales continued to go well, headquarters would decide Canada didn't need marketing support in the new year and would cut back on that.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

What about a huge knifeswitch like in a Frankenstein movie. Or little molly-guarded toggles like on a jet fighter.

It’s really just an electric switch, so it can be whatever rad stuff you want.

Mini knew the way to righteousness, but lost their way:

About sums it up for me.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Work, sex, sleep, eat, cook, read, watch movies, play video games

All of these, because I drive a campervan.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Squibbles posted:

Kia in Canada is holding back cars from dealerships apparently because they think if their sales numbers are too strong this year the head office will cut their ad budget across the country next year

Yeah this kind of bullshit is really driving the nail in my desire to potentially get an EV9. I was already annoyed with the dealership service dept fuckups and now this, cool cool cool.

They're trying for the whole toyota/honda approach of taking customers for granted speedrun without a couple decades of being actually good

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I see it's come up a little bit here, but I stumbled on a "used" 2022 Bolt EUV at a dealership nearby that has less than 10k miles for about $13k less than the equivalent new EUV would be. It says it has a branded title, and also says that it was an OEM buyback

quote:

***OEM BUYBACK***Original Battery has been inspected and fully compliant to all State and Federal Laws

Is this just something to stay away from at all costs, or this just like a weird gap in lemon laws and repair lead times that caused a bunch of these perfectly fine vehicles to end up dumped on the secondary market?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

FISHMANPET posted:

I see it's come up a little bit here, but I stumbled on a "used" 2022 Bolt EUV at a dealership nearby that has less than 10k miles for about $13k less than the equivalent new EUV would be. It says it has a branded title, and also says that it was an OEM buyback

Is this just something to stay away from at all costs, or this just like a weird gap in lemon laws and repair lead times that caused a bunch of these perfectly fine vehicles to end up dumped on the secondary market?

Its a strong "Buyer Beware" situation at a minimum. The car might be fine or it might be an unrepairable mess. Who knows.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
It means it was lemon lawed. There are a number of these floating around due to the long lead times on the battery recall, but you would have to do your homework on whether this specific one was the same. Also note that 2022 is too new for the used vehicle tax credit unless you wait 2 weeks.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

It means it was lemon lawed. There are a number of these floating around due to the long lead times on the battery recall, but you would have to do your homework on whether this specific one was the same. Also note that 2022 is too new for the used vehicle tax credit unless you wait 2 weeks.

They stopped doing the battery recall because it was expensive. Now you get a software kludge that reduces your effective range.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

slidebite posted:

What a clusterfuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3mFzh0KSk

Its worth a watch.
I skipped through this, but couldn’t really figure out what the issue was. Sounds like his car unexpectedly needed a new battery, his dealership tried to overcharge him and it blew up his insurance premiums? And Hyundai corporate then stepped in, hoping to make things right but not having committed to anything?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

cruft posted:

They stopped doing the battery recall because it was expensive. Now you get a software kludge that reduces your effective range.

Well there you go, apparently applies to MY20-22. Statement about tax stuff still applies

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Fuckit, it's this: https://mosaicchevrolet.com/sale/used-chevrolet-bolt-euv-premier-zumbrota-mn/2022-chevrolet-bolt-euv-premier-1g1fz6s00n4108370

What else would I want to investigate with that? According to the linked Experian title report, the manufacturer buyback is the only "issue" with the car. Does it lose the original GM warranty because its used?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Three Olives posted:

BMW iDrive preset buttons. They are not radio presets, I mean, they can be, or they can be presets for anything in the iDrive system, navigation destination, radio station, tire pressure, anything you could select in iDrive could be set to be accessed directly with a physical button.

loving genius and I can not believe BMW abandoned it.

New Peugeot 308, 408 and 3008 have programmable ”iToggle” touchgreen ”buttons” where user can set functions he would like access quickly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Vegetable posted:

I skipped through this, but couldn’t really figure out what the issue was. Sounds like his car unexpectedly needed a new battery, his dealership tried to overcharge him and it blew up his insurance premiums? And Hyundai corporate then stepped in, hoping to make things right but not having committed to anything?

Yeah it was a bit of a mess, the format of them sitting in a car talking to the windscreen also did them no favours. The guy is local and used to have a car show on one of the channels here but I guess that got axed and he’s gone freelance.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Vegetable posted:

Basically, guy hit some road debris during a highway trip. Seemed to be very minor and completed the road trip just fine. After he got back, he took it to the dealer who said that the battery protector tell-tale (my words) shows that the battery is a bomb waiting to go off and car must be taken off the road and voided any coverage with car.

Collision repair place makes estimate, takes photos, says battery protector looks basically fine so they have no idea with only slight scratches. No impact damage visible.

Insurer writes car off due to cost to repair and owner is now without a car, loses clean driving record.

Owner reaches out to Hyundai too late, car is already written off and gone.

Basically, sounds like:

Was the battery even actually damaged?
Why is a battery worth more than the entire new car? (This is likely due to mandatory public insurance IMHO, parts go universally full pop due to single payer)

IMHO the owner really needed to do some diligence on his part so isn't completely blameless, but between him being kinda clueless, a dealer likely taking advantage of the situation and the insurer not doing more than the bare minimum required, it was just a cluster all around.

If there is a silver lining it sounds like corporate is looking to get involved on all EV battery packs going forward, but sheesh.

priznat posted:

Yeah it was a bit of a mess, the format of them sitting in a car talking to the windscreen also did them no favours. The guy is local and used to have a car show on one of the channels here but I guess that got axed and he’s gone freelance.
Oh poo poo, yeah, now that you mention it didn't he do that driving show with.... Dagmar Midcap? I remember her, no him so much.

But yeah, the format is awkward and clunky. Trying so hard to be casual it seems forced.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 19, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

slidebite posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah, now that you mention it didn't he do that driving show with.... Dagmar Midcap? I remember her, no him so much.

But yeah, the format is awkward and clunky. Trying so hard to be casual it seems forced.

I don't recall that one, but he would always have little useless driving tips instead of ads on global tv iirc.. "Driving down the road? don't forget to have your hands at 10 and 2!" or some goofy poo poo lol

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Elviscat posted:

It really ruins the best aspect of electric cars, which is plugging them in overnight to charge, fast charging them before doing them off is stupid.

Yes, the rental companies really should build in-house charging infrastructure, it could make the return process even more convenient than it has been. A quartet of parking spots could be centered on a charger with 1 DCFC and 4 L2 outlets.

But as long as the infrastructure is lacking that is understandably. It makes sense a rental company will bill you if their staff has to drive out to fill it up. If instead they have to drive out and charge for half an hour the system won't work.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Saukkis posted:

It makes sense a rental company will bill you if their staff has to drive out to fill it up. If instead they have to drive out and charge for half an hour the system won't work.

You're not wrong, but I feel like you failed to consider how eager companies would be to pay fewer employees.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Having been through the rental car return line at Phoenix more times than I care to count, I get why they charge rates that high, and I don't think "put chargers at the location" is a workable solution at scale. If you get 100 returns an hour, let's assume 20 are EVs and 5 aren't fully charged, you either install and maintain 5 private DCFC stalls to recharge them in time or you have a few dozen EVs sitting idle overnight to slow-charge.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Cenodoxus posted:

Having been through the rental car return line at Phoenix more times than I care to count, I get why they charge rates that high, and I don't think "put chargers at the location" is a workable solution at scale. If you get 100 returns an hour, let's assume 20 are EVs and 5 aren't fully charged, you either install and maintain 5 private DCFC stalls to recharge them in time or you have a few dozen EVs sitting idle overnight to slow-charge.

At that scale it probably makes sense to have several DCFC stalls and they may even be able to operate at profit, but it's more difficult question for smaller facilities. Of course there is the option of giving a small discount if someone is willing to rent an EV at 20% charge and give them the coordinates to the nearest fast charger.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Saukkis posted:

Yes, the rental companies really should build in-house charging infrastructure, it could make the return process even more convenient than it has been. A quartet of parking spots could be centered on a charger with 1 DCFC and 4 L2 outlets.

But as long as the infrastructure is lacking that is understandably. It makes sense a rental company will bill you if their staff has to drive out to fill it up. If instead they have to drive out and charge for half an hour the system won't work.

All the EV rental areas at airports that I've seen have L2 chargers, they're just doing the normal money grubbing rental company bullshit.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DoLittle posted:

New Peugeot 308, 408 and 3008 have programmable ”iToggle” touchgreen ”buttons” where user can set functions he would like access quickly.

Which is a crying shame compared to the old 208/2008/3008 piano keys which made a very satisfying clunk every time you used them

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Nextgen CarPlay integration is still on apple's website, saying vehicle announcements coming in late 2023. I'll buy something new around next Summer and was going to possibly weigh this in my decision because it sounds cool to have my navigation info right behind the wheel and I'm fine without having a lot of physical controls, but it's looking less and less likely that we'll hear anything by the end of the year.
https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Basically Apple is dependent on Honda or Mercedes or someone to make this announcement themselves, but no one announces new model now, since their 2024 models have already rolled out and that's what they want people to buy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Have any Tesla owners here gotten the holiday update with this "High Fidelity Park Assist" that's been making headlines? If so, can anyone weigh in on whether it's accurate enough to be a worthy replacement for ultrasonic sensors?

slidebite posted:

Basically, sounds like:

Was the battery even actually damaged?
Why is a battery worth more than the entire new car? (This is likely due to mandatory public insurance IMHO, parts go universally full pop due to single payer)

IMHO the owner really needed to do some diligence on his part so isn't completely blameless, but between him being kinda clueless, a dealer likely taking advantage of the situation and the insurer not doing more than the bare minimum required, it was just a cluster all around.

Any competently designed EV will have some protective plating between the battery and the road, precisely so that road debris doesn't cause the whole thing to go up in flames. For there to be any damage to the battery, that would have to have either been punctured or horribly dented. As to be whether they're being overly cautious or just using that as an excuse to pad the bill, it's hard to say - for a dealership with limited experience with EVs, both are roughly equally plausible.

For what it's worth: Some years ago, I remember seeing an article about a Tesla owner who received an obscene repair bill for a minor fender-bender. The itemized bill included several hours of labor to disconnect the main battery cables, despite the fact that the repair in question shouldn't have required anyone to put their hands anywhere near any high-voltage circuits.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Cockmaster posted:

Have any Tesla owners here gotten the holiday update with this "High Fidelity Park Assist" that's been making headlines? If so, can anyone weigh in on whether it's accurate enough to be a worthy replacement for ultrasonic sensors?

https://twitter.com/EVBaymax/status/1735817849409868098

What if we did the 360 camera that other cars have but made it really lovely using a bunch of "technology"?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I just got the update but I'm not going to hop into my car just to try it out. I'll report on it tomorrow morning.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Saukkis posted:

They already have L2 infrastructure but they gonna charge you as though they don't

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Squibbles posted:

god i love the efficiency of capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It seems like pure hubris to think this story would not get out. People who are waiting on vehicles with deposits down should be PISSED.