Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

What texts are you reading that say it's good to kill 15,000,000 people? I didn't even know Henry Kissinger wrote any comics!

Rorschach doesn't kill 15,000,000 people. Rorschach does not want to kill 15,000,000 people. Rorschach breaks down in tears about while talking about how he might as well be one more corpse in the foundation of Veidt's new "utopia".

What are either you or Fangz even talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At first, I thought I misunderstood you, because "That take" seemed to refer to the idea that Veidt was right. Then I realized that I typed "Rorschach was right" and not "Ozymandias was right" in the first place. Sorry!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lmao all good

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, apropos of Kissinger being brought up, it's good to reminded everyone that he is dead. Happy holidays!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just feel bad about it. I came up with some really good cocktails on the spur of the moment with Scalia and McCain died, but for Kissinger I was really tired and still getting over COVID so I just popped the Glenmorangie.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

I just feel bad about it. I came up with some really good cocktails on the spur of the moment with Scalia and McCain died, but for Kissinger I was really tired and still getting over COVID so I just popped the Glenmorangie.

Which reminds me I have some lavagulin I could pop for a delayed celebration...

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Halloween Jack posted:

At first, I thought I misunderstood you, because "That take" seemed to refer to the idea that Veidt was right. Then I realized that I typed "Rorschach was right" and not "Ozymandias was right" in the first place. Sorry!

What machine are you on that didn't auto-correct to "Magneto was right" ?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Mr. Sinister certainly isn't right.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Fangz posted:

The other way round. Rorschach wants nuclear Armageddon to be back on the table. Even Manhattan refuses to accept the atrocity that would ensue if Rorschach would be allowed to live. That's why he kills him.

The entire story is really about the value of humans as compromised, flawed, unexpected individuals. As the one that ultimately rejects that part of himself, Rorschach is the villain of the story. Even Veidt is humanised by his doubts at the end. Rorschach is turned into a bloody smear once he makes the Never Compromise speech because to Manhattan, the objective observer, he's just not that interesting any more.

:wtf:

Flying Zamboni posted:

You're right I forgot about this scene:

:perfect:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I loving love that his dilz is the sun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just a tweak but it's actually significant that Rorschach goes to investigate the killing of the Comedian not just because it's a murder but because it's the murder of a superhero, notable in itself, who despite his age was clearly fighting back and lost against a superior opponent- and his first thought, reinforced by Dr Manhattan's breakdown later, is someone is going around targeting superheroes- and he's also a superhero. (Pretty much the last active one, at that) It's pretty rational self-interest from that perspective.

He also happens to have the bad luck to be completely wrong in this assumption, and to tell it to the actual killer, who goes on to orchestrate more faked evidence to throw him further off the trail.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Flying Zamboni posted:

lol

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Oh yeah that is a good point, thank you for pointing that out

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He also happens to have the bad luck to be completely wrong in this assumption, and to tell it to the actual killer, who goes on to orchestrate more faked evidence to throw him further off the trail.
I love that he investigates the death of a man who made more enemies than Richard Nixon and immediately jumps to the conclusion that it's a conspiracy to assassinate what are basically a bunch of retired celebrities. Veidt and Dreiberg both point out that it makes no sense and then they're off to the races.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I think it's worth pondering how much of Ozy's actions come from a "rational" assessment of the cold war and trying to avoid Armageddon and how much is him trying to soothe his bruised ego after the Comedians "smartest man on the cinder" crack.

Ozy did a lot through proxies and staff, but for some reason beating Comedian to death with his bare hands was the optimal strategy to close that leak.

Rorschach has massive personal problems but Ozy's tend to get overlooked. Probably due to being rich and respected not a smelly hobo.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Fangz posted:

The other way round. Rorschach wants nuclear Armageddon to be back on the table. Even Manhattan refuses to accept the atrocity that would ensue if Rorschach would be allowed to live. That's why he kills him.

The entire story is really about the value of humans as compromised, flawed, unexpected individuals. As the one that ultimately rejects that part of himself, Rorschach is the villain of the story. Even Veidt is humanised by his doubts at the end. Rorschach is turned into a bloody smear once he makes the Never Compromise speech because to Manhattan, the objective observer, he's just not that interesting any more.

For as weird as this take is, I like how it speculates on how Doctor Manhattan might view Rorschach. I think the assessment is wrong because Rorschach is as complex and the circumstances of his origin and existence are as inexplicable as Laurie's, so Manhattan would totally get off on that. But I like the thought that Rorschach's rigidness affects Manhattan's view of him and wish the comics or movie had gone into that more. From memory, the only other interaction they have is when Rorschach tells him about his mask-killer theory and Manhattan tells him to gently caress off.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

garycoleisgod posted:

I think it's worth pondering how much of Ozy's actions come from a "rational" assessment of the cold war and trying to avoid Armageddon and how much is him trying to soothe his bruised ego after the Comedians "smartest man on the cinder" crack.

Ozy did a lot through proxies and staff, but for some reason beating Comedian to death with his bare hands was the optimal strategy to close that leak.
I've always assumed that he also wanted revenge for the Comedian beating him the first time they fought (which is not clearly stated but implied, I think).

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I need to reread this comic now that I don't smoke weed twice a day and have nominally better retention

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I've always assumed that he also wanted revenge for the Comedian beating him the first time they fought (which is not clearly stated but implied, I think).

I haven't ever noticed this implication, where's it from?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

well idk about physical confrontations but wasn't the Comedian the one who totally embarrassed young Ozymandias in a flashback by going on a rant about how bullshit they all were?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Martman posted:

well idk about physical confrontations but wasn't the Comedian the one who totally embarrassed young Ozymandias in a flashback by going on a rant about how bullshit they all were?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the idea of the world's smartest man getting feinted into the same uppercut again and again is v funny

ozy: no you can't just give me the ol' one-two again and again
comedian: lol, lmao

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

[getting the old razzledazzle eight times consecutively] I am studying his limitations

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Alan Moore's Punch-Out!! (featuring Mr. Comedian)
*Pixel art by Dave Gibbons & John Higgins

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

well why not posted:

[getting the old razzledazzle eight times consecutively] I am studying his limitations

Hahaha

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

well why not posted:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I forgot how the Comedian looks like rough trade in that panel. I've got your Hooded Justice right here

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

well why not posted:

[lying face down in a puddle of my own blood and spit] download complete

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I didn't remember this until someone pointed it out, but Ozy getting his rear end kicked by the Comedian also comes up in the magazine interview with him in a later issue. He kinda/sorta dodges the question.

In retrospect, it's also funny to me that Rorschach and Nite Owl could have easily subdued Ozymandias and his mutant tiger if they had brought, like, a couple of submachine guns instead of a stupid laser pen.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah but Batman doesn’t use guns. But cool laser gadgets are ok.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Halloween Jack posted:

That was always my assumption.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

[lying face down in a puddle of my own blood and spit] download complete

analysed optimum duelling combat strategy gambit [wait until he’s old and throwing him off a balcony]

well why not fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 20, 2023

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

well why not posted:

analysed optimum duelling combat strategy gambit [wait until he’s old and throwing him off a balcony]

Dammit Ozy, you've done it again! Time to relax for five hours in my pleasure pyramid.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

smartest man on earth [just goes to a haters apartment to gently caress them up]

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
C:\Users\Ἀλέξανδρος\Documents\BOYS

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

josh04 posted:

Dammit Ozy, you've done it again! Time to relax for five hours in my pleasure pyramid.

"he may have won in the short term but pride goes before a... fall." :smug:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Horizon Burning posted:

"he may have won in the short term but pride goes before a... fall." :smug:

"Better write that down."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Zack’s top 4 letterbox’d list is pretty obvious but it’s still cool to hear ‘em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I like that he chose apocalypse now: a visual spectacle with various cuts. I still need to watch the ones beyond the theatrical though.