Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

MetaJew posted:

Orphan Espresso is sold out/backordered on the Cafelat robot upper and lower paper filters. I'm kicking myself for not ordering several hundred of each the last time I bought a restock.

The Aeropress filter paper can sort of replace the upper filter, although they are slightly large. No lower filter option without trying to cut out papers by hand.

I'm guessing they've closed their storefront for the holidays, do any of y'all have an alternative for these filters?

https://cafune.ca/collections/cafelat-robot

That’s where I bought my robot from and they had pretty cheap shipping to the states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I bought a $10 craft circle cutter for my Flair Pro 2. I'm sure you can find the right diameter - probably someone on r*ddit already did.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Lance did a great video on the Gaggiuino project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4pTFCGVlmQ

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

HELP

I'm roasting this washed Nicaragua in my Gene Cafe and the roast is kind of stalling. I get about 12.8% loss at 13 minutes at 440-442F, and 13.2% at 15:00. I want to get it a little darker, but I'm concerned about going too much longer. The color matches City+ pretty well. I'm concerned about losing flavor, as everything else I've done with this roast profile really drops off in quality past 15:00. Do I just keep going till the color looks closer? I tried a couple batches with 2:00 on the cooling cycle because the chaff is tenacious, and a couple just immediately dumping it into a cold colander and then into a cold baking pan, but no real difference in results.

I did a bunch of a fairly similar Chiapas last week and with the same roast profile it lost weight super fast and that 13:00-14:00 time range was apparently a really critical threshold because 14:30-15:00 was not great and went to 16-17% loss in seconds. Pushing up to 450F and then dropping back down to 445ish for the remainder didn't produce great results.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I've never really done any roasting myself, but I was a barista for a long time and I loved to bother my roasters with questions.

I'd personally want to try roasting a batch a little longer until you get the colour you're looking for, because these may just be a higher density bean than other's you've done with this profile. You might lose some of the acidity, but the extra development time might just really highlight some nice chocolate or toffee notes?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Crystal Lake Witch posted:

Take this with a grain of salt, because I've never really done any roasting myself, but I was a barista for a long time and I loved to bother my roasters with questions.

I'd personally want to try roasting a batch a little longer until you get the colour you're looking for, because these may just be a higher density bean than other's you've done with this profile. You might lose some of the acidity, but the extra development time might just really highlight some nice chocolate or toffee notes?

I'm on my way to the garage right now to roast another 3-4 batches and had planned on just doing this. Thanks, will hopefully report back soon.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I have never failed at something so hugely as being able to make any kind of marking let alone art in a latte using the steam wand (e: not stab wound as it autocorrected to, I might work in ER too frequently) on my gcp. It just... Goes underneath the surface of the drink. I've looked at a thousand videos and read a thousand guides and I'm doing all the steps and with exactly the technique I see everyone else doing but I can't get it to work. The next step is to kidnap a barista and force them to do latte art with my machine to assess if it's even possible. I think I get more than enough steam pressure and I'm getting good microfoam but yeah I dunno. A mystery.

My actual shaping is poo poo so I can’t do “art” beyond a vaguely hearty blob, but I have figured out how to consistently get the ability to have white foam blobs on top. These are the things that unlocked it for me (assuming you can actually make a good microfoam)

#1 Milk type: the only alt milk I’ve got to work well is oatly. For moo milk, whole milk or it’ll be rough.

#2 Coffee bed: the better and still present your crema is, the better it’ll be for the art. If you can brew directly into the cup that’ll keep the crema around the best, but it should still be fine pouring in.

#3 Pour height & speed: This is most important. For the volume of the drink, you want to pour from at least a few inches above the cup, and pretty swiftly. This is so the milk “pierces” the crema.

Then, for your last like 20% of milk, swirl the milk real good so you recombine the foam and liquid milk. Then you want to angle the coffee mug so you can nearly touch the coffee with the spout, and pour nice and slow. The combo of super close to the coffee and slow pour should get the majority of the foam to sit on top.

This video in particular really got me to instantly understand what I was doing wrong and how to fix it.

https://youtu.be/ohzsOjkYf5M?si=zziCWd9PMwUfYSxp

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

nwin posted:

https://cafune.ca/collections/cafelat-robot

That’s where I bought my robot from and they had pretty cheap shipping to the states

Well, I went and emailed them about a restock, and apparently I was viewing their old website that they still have up-- and isn't redirecting to their new URL:
https://www.orphanespresso.com/cafelat-robot-parts--accessories

All of the filter papers are in stock there.

Edit:

BrianBoitano posted:

I bought a $10 craft circle cutter for my Flair Pro 2. I'm sure you can find the right diameter - probably someone on r*ddit already did.

In one of the Orphan Espresso videos about his Robot accessories, he mentions that the upper filter paper is some standard size that they could cut with a craft circle cutter like you mentioned. However, apparently the bottom filter is a special size that required a custom die to be made.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I saw this and now want one:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I just printed something similar, just popped the needles in tonight so I'll report back tomorrow.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I've been watching Japanese pourover brewing videos for a bit, and they seem to use 1:15 and sometimes even 1:14 ratios. I am used to seeing 1:16, sometimes creeping up to 1:17 ratios over here. Is this an east-west thing or have smaller ratios become more popular in general recently?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Google Butt posted:

I just printed something similar, just popped the needles in tonight so I'll report back tomorrow.

I don't know much about 3D printing, but how much plastic is gonna end up in your grounds over time due to the movement of the gears?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

thotsky posted:

I've been watching Japanese pourover brewing videos for a bit, and they seem to use 1:15 and sometimes even 1:14 ratios. I am used to seeing 1:16, sometimes creeping up to 1:17 ratios over here. Is this an east-west thing or have smaller ratios become more popular in general recently?

AFAIK, Japan isn't on the light roast bandwagon as much as the west, so maybe that's the reason - lighter roasts are harder to extract and benefit from a bit more volume of water, while dark roasts don't need it so much. it's largely just taste though. I do 60g/L which works out to 1:16.67, but mostly I like that it's very easy to calculate in my head. If you like your coffee stronger, use a bigger ratio.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

HELP

I'm roasting this washed Nicaragua in my Gene Cafe and the roast is kind of stalling. I get about 12.8% loss at 13 minutes at 440-442F, and 13.2% at 15:00. I want to get it a little darker, but I'm concerned about going too much longer. The color matches City+ pretty well. I'm concerned about losing flavor, as everything else I've done with this roast profile really drops off in quality past 15:00. Do I just keep going till the color looks closer? I tried a couple batches with 2:00 on the cooling cycle because the chaff is tenacious, and a couple just immediately dumping it into a cold colander and then into a cold baking pan, but no real difference in results.

I did a bunch of a fairly similar Chiapas last week and with the same roast profile it lost weight super fast and that 13:00-14:00 time range was apparently a really critical threshold because 14:30-15:00 was not great and went to 16-17% loss in seconds. Pushing up to 450F and then dropping back down to 445ish for the remainder didn't produce great results.

You are definitely going much harder on the telemetry and technical data than I did with my Gene Cafe. The biggest strength of the machine (simplicity) is also is biggest weakness. Ultimately, I sorta gave up on trying to roast really technically with it and ended up essentially just roasting the same batch size every time to whatever roast point I wanted. Since you can't really control variables like temperature or air flow, you essentially are stuck with your one variable (assuming you roast at the same ambient temp every time) which is time. I always roasted at max temp (since it's already roasting more slowly than bigger roasters tend to) and let it go until it hit the roast level I wanted. There are mods that change the roast quality and that might be worth tinkering with if you have the desire, also. I never did because, as I said, I didn't mind too much that it was a nice and simple machine that did its job really well.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Google Butt posted:

It's nifty. I like the sensation of using it, but it picks up grounds and those ends up in the gears which put me off.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This guy iterated on the Moonraker-clone Umikot STL to include bearings for smoother action - it's a one finger spin now. Look at this lovely spin. LOOK AT IT!

https://www.reddit.com/r/espresso/s/5big0exHLG

Don't look too closely at his workflow, which is a bit questionable.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Weber’s first coffee brewer, the Bird:

https://youtu.be/NzYVPsX6G6M?si=s4xh0-ErdZH0m6AB

Can’t wait for it to cost $1000. Looks cool though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

FYI the Weber people are real assholes that messed with a reviewer’s account out of spite (edited his email address to say retard or some poo poo like that), their customer service is bad and their quality control has been iffy. All things perhaps okay if you weren’t spending a quadrillion bucks on something that just looks very nice.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Vegetable posted:

FYI the Weber people are real assholes that messed with a reviewer’s account out of spite (edited his email address to say retard or some poo poo like that), their customer service is bad and their quality control has been iffy. All things perhaps okay if you weren’t spending a quadrillion bucks on something that just looks very nice.

Yeah, I know all about that stuff. That was the reason I didn't buy the EG-1 when I was in the market for a high-end grinder last year.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Cannon_Fodder posted:

It's nifty. I like the sensation of using it, but it picks up grounds and those ends up in the gears which put me off.

From what I can tell, the $200 thing I shared doesn't have any gears. It looks well made, it comes with plenty of spare needles, but gently caress spending $200 on a WDT.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Gunder posted:

Weber’s first coffee brewer, the Bird:

https://youtu.be/NzYVPsX6G6M?si=s4xh0-ErdZH0m6AB

Can’t wait for it to cost $1000. Looks cool though.

that thing looks unnecessarily over-engineered and complicated

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

From what I can tell, the $200 thing I shared doesn't have any gears. It looks well made, it comes with plenty of spare needles, but gently caress spending $200 on a WDT.

I quoted the 3d printed planetary gear wdt tool, bud

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Gunder posted:

I don't know much about 3D printing, but how much plastic is gonna end up in your grounds over time due to the movement of the gears?

I had that same thought, but the gears actually have a significant account of play between them, I can literally jiggle/shake them around. With that little friction I don't think I'll be upping my daily micro plastic dose. If I like the actual wdt results I might explore the bearing version

Edit: the grounds contacting and collecting in the 3d printed parts is probably not great though, I'm sure there's some leeching going on there. I'll probably skip it, mostly printed it for the novelty anyway.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 20, 2023

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

thotsky posted:

In the Blue Bottle book he talks about being inspired by the Japanese coffee culture. He said their ratios were very small. With a nel drip it would be like 1:10 and would result in almost a syrupy consistency. I think it's a Japanese thing.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

NanoFoamer Pro + WDT Flick + Shot Glass arrived. I'm not going to open the Shot Glass, probably flip it on eBay or something?

WDT Flick is nice, the needles are a little thick but I like that it's magnetized and can stick to my Bambino. It's heavy and made of nice material and flicking the needles back into it is pretty enjoyable in a fidget toy sort of way. I'll WDT when I make v60 and Chemex, so this will get a lot of use.

The NanoFoamer Pro - Decided to make 3 Cortados to try it out. Quickly learned if you don't put the silicone insert that goes inside against the very bottom, it won't properly create a whirlpool. Definitely leaves behind a thin layer of milk at the bottom that takes a Scrub Daddy to get clean, but not the worst thing in the world. It's a little loud, but it will definitely be getting used in our household for the foreseeable future.

The TimeMore Sculptor 064s has been great, definitely could use a few QoL improvements like better popcorn mitigation in the hopper, but this thing is way less messy than my Opus and I like that I can leave behind fines for pour over, so I guess I should just get rid of the Opus altogether and reclaim some counter space I guess? I've been making pourover + a couple shots of espresso every day this week and re-adjusting for espresso hasn't been a problem. If somebody released a magnetized portafilter stand, larger magnetized catch cup, and bellows hopper for the 064s, I'd pick them up, but I'm really just nitpicking at this point.

Edit: Apparently Timemore has already teased a hopper extension which would solve my hopper issues. The existing catch cup only holds around 50g of ground coffee, so hopefully the hopper extension comes with a bigger catch cup as well.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 21, 2023

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I find that with my 078 the retention in the chute is pretty bad. I get way more stuff than just fines out when I use the klicker thing. The air here is super dry and I am not doing RDT though.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 22, 2023

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

RDT* and new science says you can do 4 sprays for a 18g dose and it'll help reduce clumping in addition to reducing the mess

Worth picking up a spray bottle for insurance IMO

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

RDT* and new science says you can do 4 sprays for a 18g dose and it'll help reduce clumping in addition to reducing the mess

Worth picking up a spray bottle for insurance IMO

And increase extraction :science:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

RDTing will cause some beans to get stuck in the Sculptor hopper but not a big deal if you’re diligent about making sure it’s empty at the end of your grind. Hopefully a larger hopper with a steeper angle will solve that annoyance.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Jim Hoffmann has done Best Espresso Grinder Under £500:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VohJapkObs

Featuring:
Lagom Mini
Niche Zero
Timemore 064s
Eureka Oro
Mahlkönig x54
Baratza Sette 270
DF64 Gen 2

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

40 minutes is unhinged.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Does he have a recommendation or is it open for debate?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Please James, just tell me what to buy.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I watched this to justify my year+ old purchase of my Niche.

You'll be surprised to know he gave a mostly non-committal answer. He limited himself to only picking a flat 64mm burr grinder, waffled between the DF64 v2 and the Timemore Sculptor, then tentatively picked the Timemore. He also didn't even address the fact that the loving DF64 was somehow louder (95 to 99 db) than the Sette (90db), but still complained about the Sette being loud.

It was an interesting watch. If you're not dead set on flat over conical and not trying to do pour over on the same grinder, the Niche seemed to have way fewer nitpicks than anything else. Possible confirmation bias warning.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bandire posted:

I watched this to justify my year+ old purchase of my Niche.

You'll be surprised to know he gave a mostly non-committal answer. He limited himself to only picking a flat 64mm burr grinder, waffled between the DF64 v2 and the Timemore Sculptor, then tentatively picked the Timemore. He also didn't even address the fact that the loving DF64 was somehow louder (95 to 99 db) than the Sette (90db), but still complained about the Sette being loud.

It was an interesting watch. If you're not dead set on flat over conical and not trying to do pour over on the same grinder, the Niche seemed to have way fewer nitpicks than anything else. Possible confirmation bias warning.

Yeah I need to watch that later. I have a niche and I like it, but I expect he’ll talk about the difference of conical vs flat burrs…probably not show as much dislike towards the niche like lance Hedrick does.

Not surprised at being non-commital, though a bit surprised he didn’t recommend the niche since he used it all-the-loving-time in his previous videos.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

nwin posted:

Yeah I need to watch that later. I have a niche and I like it, but I expect he’ll talk about the difference of conical vs flat burrs…probably not show as much dislike towards the niche like lance Hedrick does.

Not surprised at being non-commital, though a bit surprised he didn’t recommend the niche since he used it all-the-loving-time in his previous videos.

He doesn't go in to the burr differences a ton regarding the coffee style they produce. There might be a better video than this one somewhere explaining that. I honestly don't have the palate to detect all the clarity/texture/brightness/made up bullshit they go on about. I'm very happy with my Niche.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bandire posted:

He doesn't go in to the burr differences a ton regarding the coffee style they produce. There might be a better video than this one somewhere explaining that. I honestly don't have the palate to detect all the clarity/texture/brightness/made up bullshit they go on about. I'm very happy with my Niche.

Yeah I just watched it. I’m still happy with my Niche. Like you, I can’t detect the differences nor do I really care to.

The niche just works for espresso and I don’t try to do filter out of it. I’ve done RDT before with it but don’t anymore. Reason is like he mentioned, the water keeps the beans from entering the hopper which is a pain and the grinds also make a mess and collect in the dosing cup.

I dunno why he’s so hard up about “hot starting” the grinders.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

nwin posted:

Yeah I just watched it. I’m still happy with my Niche. Like you, I can’t detect the differences nor do I really care to.

The niche just works for espresso and I don’t try to do filter out of it. I’ve done RDT before with it but don’t anymore. Reason is like he mentioned, the water keeps the beans from entering the hopper which is a pain and the grinds also make a mess and collect in the dosing cup.

I dunno why he’s so hard up about “hot starting” the grinders.

Yeah I don't have any static issues with the Niche using the included dosing cup without RDT, so its not worth making the beans stick to the feed ramp. I actually bought one of those 3d printed portafilter mounts that screws directly in to the Niche using the bolt that the cup plate seats on. Even with RDT and a tall dosing ring it was an absolute loving static charged mess. Huge waste of time.

I think the hot start thing is supposed better for grinder motor durability in theory, but who knows if it really matters on a practical time scale.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bandire posted:

Yeah I don't have any static issues with the Niche using the included dosing cup without RDT, so its not worth making the beans stick to the feed ramp. I actually bought one of those 3d printed portafilter mounts that screws directly in to the Niche using the bolt that the cup plate seats on. Even with RDT and a tall dosing ring it was an absolute loving static charged mess. Huge waste of time.

I think the hot start thing is supposed better for grinder motor durability in theory, but who knows if it really matters on a practical time scale.

Good to know on the portafilter mount. I upgrade from a robot to a profitec go and was thinking about getting the Decent portafilter mount for the grinder but it seems like static makes it a mess.

Also not worried about motor durability since I use dark roast beans anyways. Maybe if I was using light roast and making way more than my 2 drinks a day…

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005

Bandire posted:

I actually bought one of those 3d printed portafilter mounts that screws directly in to the Niche using the bolt that the cup plate seats on. Even with RDT and a tall dosing ring it was an absolute loving static charged mess. Huge waste of time.

Same. Huge mess without any perceptible differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
the thing to me about the niche is that espresso vivace, one of the best cafes in the world (certainly the best in seattle) and the first place in america to introduce things like PIDs, bottomless portafilters, and latte art, uses niches with extra large hoppers to grind all their beans. can't argue with the results