Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

BaconCopter posted:

Never mind, it took me like 50 refreshes but it's up to 150 now.

E: ok, it looks like availability of the deal is based around your location. I was trying to ship it to a friend and it was $150, still $48.5 at my own address. so there is A CHANCE it's available for people.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Ico...00&from=/search

EE: yup just ordered it, arriving tomorrow so def 100% location based.

can confirm. i was disappointed that it wasn't available, and then realized it was using my old address up in PA. it was available for in-store pickup at my local one down here in MD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

BaconCopter posted:

E: ok, it looks like availability of the deal is based around your location. I was trying to ship it to a friend and it was $150, still $48.5 at my own address. so there is A CHANCE it's available for people.

Yeah, all the stores around me were 150, switched to the tiny town 25 minutes away and was 50.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

BaconCopter posted:

The same thing happened a day or so ago with an Xbox S deal for ~$180. As far as anyone could tell, only those in the western half of the country were getting the $180 price.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Cojawfee posted:

That was my big issue when looking at lighting kits. So many of these have waaaay too many lights in them. Like the lunar lander set, you don't need to put lights all over the place, just put them where they make sense. I got the BTTF one because it makes sense for there to be lights all over the place on that thing, but some of these are just nuts.

I just have the R2 one, because it’s actually pretty cool, the yoda one for his lightsaber which is quite simple, and the infinity gauntlet one.

My ma got me one for the ghostbusters firehouse and I kinda started to install it before having similar issues as described above and deciding not to proceed. It’s fiddly and on a set you might really play with it’s limiting.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 16, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I kind of want to get the kit for R2 and the Galaxy Explorer.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Those higher prices are not walmart. They are resellers using the Walmart platform.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

Those higher prices are not walmart. They are resellers using the Walmart platform.

yeah I had to double check the lego store cause I thought they were more like 100. which they are - but it turns out its sold out on the lego store so time for problems

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the lighting feedback and I agree. Fiddly and fragile has been my experience, even on the smaller sets, Dr Who, Tron & the first Ecto.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I got my friend a kit that was basically just a big light brick thing for the center of the dr who set (idk what that part of the set is come at me nerds) and that was actually a cool addition to that set, but again only one big light basically

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

hellotoothpaste posted:

A question: What’s a good way to display these things when there’s a toddler in play? My assumption is deep shelves at least 6 feet off of the floor, but does anyone have a cool setup they’d want to share? I want to get Sesame Street rebuilt, the lunar lander, Home Alone and then I have some art ones which appear ready to just mount on the wall (history of space & The Big Wave)

You can buy these play pens to put toddlers in

https://www.boulderbarks.com/produc...DyABEgJoOfD_BwE

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Just finished the Avengers Tower. It's a very big, very impressive build that looks awesome in person. But that's now that I want to talk about. I want to talk about this... the worst thing I've ever seen in one of Lego's 'premium-level' sets.

This is the giant Chitauri alien from the first Avengers movie. It's the first thing you build, and it loving sucks.

Quick question: do you have the hands of a tiny fey prince, with nimble fingers like little needles dancing to and fro? Do you have the delicate touch of an ethereal cloud, gently touching your bricks so finely that there's scarcely no pressure at all?

No?

Then this thing is going to loving EXPLODE in your hands if you look at it, or breathe near it, or someone a block away coughs slightly too loud.

Most of this motherfucker is held by the clutch power of one, maybe two tiles. Pick it up from a weird angle? Whoops, it broke. Tried to gently push a tile down to get it to stay better? Whoops, it broke. Tried to delicately pick it up and move it to a shelf to sit there ignored forever? You bet your rear end something just broke off of it.

The thought process was cool. It's a good idea. But holy poo poo, I hope you don't have kids, or curious friends who try to poke at it, or a shelf that's not as solid as God's good earth. Because otherwise, whoops, it's broke again, go back to book one.

I'm not triggered, why do you ask

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That looks like Bowser from a Wonder level where he turned into a turtle fish

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was gonna wait to see if they went on sale, but then decided #fuckit and got that new Lego Space book and the minifig one with the orange Space fig.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It took me a long time of staring at that Chitauri photo before I could figure out where the front is.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's in the front.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

BaconCopter posted:

Ordered mine this morning, picked it up this afternoon. $150 at my local Wal-Marts, $50 at the ones on the other side of the county by my in-laws' house where we were going anyway. :dukedog:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

mutata posted:

It's in the front.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the front might fall off.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Jingle Bells,

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I am glad that even in this degenerate age of Mariah Carey and lovely Wham covers someone out there still respects the ancient carols.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Viking Village down to only £100 on John Lewis website, if I hadn't already bought it then that would certainly clinch it (although I did get 3 free gifts on Lego's site at full price so it balances out).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Looks more like a cardinal tbh but good effort.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

That looks right out of Thunderbirds. :allears:

Not really, but there’s some sea planes. 5935, 5888, 60164, 31064

I would love it if Cobi went and made a Sunderland.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I saw the potted plants in person.

What an adorable set.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

gschmidl posted:

Starship.

We Built This City

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just built the ornaments gift-with-purchase set.

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/christmas-decor-set-40604?CMP=AFC-AffiliateUS-LNtsWdwRzsQ-2513819-1182088-1

Very repetitive — you build one assembly 12 times in different colors and its most of the parts — but nice end result. Another case of Chris McVeigh getting Lego to produce his designs from before he was hired which is pretty neat.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Borsche69 posted:

lol. got owned by a missing part. they gave me an extra 1x16 brown brick in lieu of what should be a second tan 6x8 plate. awesome

Found another weird part mixup. I'm supposed to have a 1x12 black plate for one of the gates you construct in bag 21, but I instead of a spare 1x6 dark grey brick. I can only assume between this and the mixup I mentioned above, this weight must have been equivalent allowing it to sneak through whatever QC system they have. It's the only explanation I can think of, since I've never seen a mixup like this before in any lego set.

At first I thought I was just missing the 1x12 black plate, but I get to the end of bag 21 and still have this 1x6 dark grey brick that never gets used in either this or bag 20 (started checking earlier instructions in case I just missed it prior, but nope, its a weird spare).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Prepare to be utterly baffled when you see the winning Ideas sets;

https://brickset.com/article/103367/ideas-review-results-revealed!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

PriorMarcus posted:

Prepare to be utterly baffled when you see the winning Ideas sets;

https://brickset.com/article/103367/ideas-review-results-revealed!

Money saved!

Hmm, the knockoff Titanic is down to $200...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I hereby thank Lego for selecting these boring Ideas to make into real sets, thus saving me money.

(Still have to pick up the Viking Village... I guess that's the only thing I've got left on my wishlist now, until the medieval market comes out)

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

gschmidl posted:

Money saved!

Hmm, the knockoff Titanic is down to $200...

The friends garden is better and twilight left the cultural zeitgeist what, a decade ago? Guessing Swift wouldn't agree to the lover house because if they made that it would sell out every set even if they dedicated every brick they make for the next 5 years to that set.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Scipiotik posted:

The friends garden is better and twilight left the cultural zeitgeist what, a decade ago?

I have some bad news

https://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/television/2023/04/19/twilight-tv-show-plans-lionsgate/70130863007/

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I always liked that house so if it turns out to be an interesting set I’ll probably get it and then my wife can play with the minifigures

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah I don’t get the botanical garden.

Like this video shows that the Friends one is up to modular standards is terms of cleverness. Just not an enclosed building.

https://youtu.be/dvxV_-ZlsuE?si=rkiiSWvqW9CGDXpc

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m interested in the garden, I’ve actually wanted more modular gardens or parks for a long time now.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah I think I'd get the garden but it's probably like the museum and just too expensive for me

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Weird picks. Twilight makes sense if they're doing something new with the franchise I guess, but the botanical garden is just a larger but less interesting version of the Friends one. Easy pass unless they blow me away with the redesigns.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Carbohydrates posted:

Weird picks. Twilight makes sense if they're doing something new with the franchise I guess, but the botanical garden is just a larger but less interesting version of the Friends one. Easy pass unless they blow me away with the redesigns.

They are doing a new TV Show but what are the chances they use the same real world house? It's not exactly iconic to the franchise like some houses are to their films/TV shows. Yes, weird pick.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Scipiotik posted:

The friends garden is better and twilight left the cultural zeitgeist what, a decade ago? Guessing Swift wouldn't agree to the lover house because if they made that it would sell out every set even if they dedicated every brick they make for the next 5 years to that set.

that's the next review, i believe. Although with how terrible Taylor's merch is, she might bounce off Lego's narrower margins.

Twilight was in a recent nostalgia wave. I think The Hunger Games is the main thing right now so wouldn't be surprised to see that pop up on the next batch of ideas.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

man don't tell me that twilight and hunger games are nostalgia bait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

those IPs are brand new. the year is 2008. im getting ready to play highlander on tf2