Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Dreams In The Witch House is a pro play for ppl into cosmic horror / “dark academia” and SCUMM games. There are some interesting long-term RPG elements with what you want your guy to pursue, but unless you go with Easy mode it is firmly in the time / resource management space, a lot like The Pale Beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Len posted:

Still gonna lol at people acting like the epic store is some whole new system that they just can't access

Oh i'll use it for free games, but if i'm actually buying something, i'm buying it on one platform. Same with the xbox app, etc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
James McCaffery has died.
https://www.tmz.com/2023/12/18/max-payne-star-james-mccaffrey-dead-dies-cancer/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh no, I didn't even know he was dealing with health issues :(

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
God loving drat. The Max Payne games were a huge influence on me, and some of the first games I ever played just because I liked the story and acting so much. gently caress.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chillmatic posted:

God loving drat. The Max Payne games were a huge influence on me, and some of the first games I ever played just because I liked the story and acting so much. gently caress.

Yeah, I'm bummed. It was literally an offhand comment about him being in Control that got me into that and Remedy's games in general, after losing track of them since Max Payne 2. He was just such a distinctive presence.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

RIP trench/max you had a silky yet gravel-y voice.

Epic game store is shittier than Steam yeah but the free games make it worth downloading alone and the aversion to having two launchers is so weird to me but maybe just cause I’m an old and remember having to pull out the red, yellow and white wires from the back of my tv/vhs combo to swap between consoles.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I know lethal company is a hot new game but I read the less you know about it going in, the better. So having said that can someone give me an elevator pitch I can pass on to my friends to see if we want to try it

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I feel like I haven't seen much about Amnesia: The Bunker online for whatever reason, maybe just a product of the parts of the internet I actually pay attention to these days. I saw a couple of positive mentions in this thread when it came out, but I'd be curious to hear peoples' general impressions of it. I never finished Machine for Pigs because frankly I thought it was kind of boring, and watched part of an LP of the last Amnesia game but honestly nothing about it really made me want to rush out and try it myself. It sounds like maybe this one is closer in style/spirit to the original though?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I know lethal company is a hot new game but I read the less you know about it going in, the better. So having said that can someone give me an elevator pitch I can pass on to my friends to see if we want to try it

You've joined up with a strange salvage company to scavenge for items of value from abandoned moons. Do be careful because you'll run into [REDACTED]

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I feel like I haven't seen much about Amnesia: The Bunker online for whatever reason, maybe just a product of the parts of the internet I actually pay attention to these days. I saw a couple of positive mentions in this thread when it came out, but I'd be curious to hear peoples' general impressions of it. I never finished Machine for Pigs because frankly I thought it was kind of boring, and watched part of an LP of the last Amnesia game but honestly nothing about it really made me want to rush out and try it myself. It sounds like maybe this one is closer in style/spirit to the original though?

a machine for pigs was a bizarre folly and not representative of the series while amnesia 2 suffered from an expanded scope

bunker is just you, a small set of rooms and corridors, a gas-guzzling generator and a big scary hungry thing that really likes the dark. escape item 2 while supplying enough fuel in item 3 to keep item 4 from munching on you. much more focused and effective

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Much like PHASMOPHOBIA, it’s a scrappy indie that doesn’t reinvent the concept of a wheel but refreshes the ways by which existing wheels can provide players with panic and stress.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

a machine for pigs was a bizarre folly and not representative of the series while amnesia 2 suffered from an expanded scope

bunker is just you, a small set of rooms and corridors, a gas-guzzling generator and a big scary hungry thing that really likes the dark. escape item 2 while supplying enough fuel in item 3 to keep item 4 from munching on you. much more focused and effective

Okay yeah that sounds much more appealing than Amnesia 2 looked. Not that 2 looked like a bad game or anything, just not what I wanted from Frictional in particular.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

MockingQuantum posted:

Okay yeah that sounds much more appealing than Amnesia 2 looked. Not that 2 looked like a bad game or anything, just not what I wanted from Frictional in particular.

It was developed by The Chinese Room and not by Frictional, who was just the publisher.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It was developed by The Chinese Room and not by Frictional, who was just the publisher.

machine for pigs was TCR, frictional did all the other entries

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

sorry, by "2" I meant "Rebirth", I was just following on what Oxxidation called it and didn't realize it had a subtitle too. I pretty much knew Machine for Pigs wouldn't do it for me because basically nothing Chinese Room produces really does it for me.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

MockingQuantum posted:

The Bunker was my second favorite horror game I played during my October marathon. The gameplay loop is super satisfying as it combines Metroidvania and immersive sim elements together.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MockingQuantum posted:

The Bunker is, by a pretty large margin, the best horror game Frictional has made, with far greater consideration to its game elements and none of the defects of writing that were prominent in previous releases- including that the story's just less important this time around.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

parasyte posted:

You've joined up with a strange salvage company to scavenge for items of value from abandoned moons. Do be careful because you'll run into [REDACTED]

Basic Chunnel posted:

Much like PHASMOPHOBIA, it’s a scrappy indie that doesn’t reinvent the concept of a wheel but refreshes the ways by which existing wheels can provide players with panic and stress.

Thanks guys, this is vague enough to pique interest

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The Bunker rocks, even as a player who doesn’t usually enjoy horror games. The monster long boy isn’t anything to write home about, but the way the game director / noise mechanics interact is great fun. You get a real sense of progression as you learn tricks and get tools to survive.

Only real negative is that it’s a little short, but maybe that’s just me wanting more of a good thing.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Bunker is good but from reading other impressions I think some of that enjoyment relies on going through the game in the "correct" order, which for the record I do not know. A couple of the last areas I did were pretty short which was good because by that time I understood the rules enough that the monster was less scary and more of a problem to be solved, and those shorter areas really highlight the problem solving versus spooky horror. I still think SOMA is their best game but it would go SOMA > Bunker/OG Amnesia >> Penumbras > Rebirth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Machine for Pigs (yes I realize they didn't make it). Rebirth really needed some trimming and the psychological element was IMO too on the nose.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 20, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Love this tweet thread

https://twitter.com/_NoCode/status/1737932240741437748?t=ykFEhX9eLHpH94a2xQTXeQ&s=19

I love NoCode. If the person who knows the devs still browses here (my memory is poo poo, I'm sorry!), please tell them I cannot look forward to this game enough.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bunker is great, first game in a while that I've actually been afraid enough to be put off playing more of it. It's closer to Penumbra crossed with Alien Isolation than it is to any of the other Amnesia games, which are all a bit walking sim for me - well-done to varying degrees, but lacking in that mechanical depth that I need to really get a horror game's hooks into my brain. It's a really excellent budget title.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I liked bunker but I really didn't like the parts where I missed a small item and spent half an hour rummaging through the darkness for it.

The monster itself is cool, the rats can gently caress off

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
drat, who's Lila is really good

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Who's Lila lives rent free in my head. Considering some revelations within the game, this is perhaps an ominous situation.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

It slaps, op

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Got The Quarry for Christmas. Up to about Chapter 4. Really digging it so far.

I know these games (Until Dawn, House of Ashes. etc.) are basically just interactive movies but I've really liked all the ones I've played (Until Dawn, House of Ashes, and The Quarry).

Ryan should obviously be the sole main character but the others are also all pretty interesting.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I was too good at Amnesia: The Bunker and would do my scouting runs so well that I always had enough gas in the tank to get in and get out without getting mauled to death by the mole man in the dark

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Whirling posted:

I was too good at Amnesia: The Bunker and would do my scouting runs so well that I always had enough gas in the tank to get in and get out without getting mauled to death by the mole man in the dark

I think I didn't understand the mechanics because even with the generator going, the monster would come out and kill me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Strawberry Panda posted:

I think I didn't understand the mechanics because even with the generator going, the monster would come out and kill me.

if the lights are on then its aggression is significantly reduced, but it'll still pop out for a snack every so often and will almost always react to loud noises like a grenade going off

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

It’s really great and has stuck with me for a year since I played it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like how inarticulate and/or awkward everyone is in The Quarry while still trying very hard not to be. A good encapsulation of being young and dumb.

I also love how the creatures are seemingly werewolves but more of the Wolfman variety than of the Manwolf variety. My favoured type of Werewolf.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 26, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/KuuEater/status/1739808115397120300?t=JbnIqsW32MWSJVD22zWV7A&s=19

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 27, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Where are all the first-person indie horror protags looking at their hands saying "what have I done."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ubisoft stole them all

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Who's the hunk looking dude in that scale?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

the top left? thats the dude from soma

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Honest Thief posted:

Who's the hunk looking dude in that scale?

You mean Sebastian from Evil Within?

If not either specify a position or clarify your tastes in men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

No way Ethan's below the halfway point on the failboy scale. He's a good dad, and he's got the achievements to prove it!