Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

So sorry Leper, that’s never an easy thing to deal with and that goes double around the holidays. I hope you and your family can offer each other support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
My condolences Leper, you are an awesome person and sorry this happened the way it did.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

gently caress, sorry Leper. I know she had been going through a lot for a long time.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Condolences Leper.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Sorry leper.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

That really sucks Leper, that’s gotta be incredibly difficult right before the holidays. I’m sorry :(

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'm so sorry Leper my deepest condolences to you and yours

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
ah gently caress that sucks leper, i'm sorry. i had to go out to california earlier this month for parental health reasons and i'm dreading that day.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Bird in a Blender posted:

COVID finally hit my house, my wife just tested positive. Kid and I are negative for now, but looks like we'll mostly be holing up for a while. Still holding out some hope that we'll all be in the clear by Christmas, but it's cutting it close. Wife and I both got boosters recently, so I'm hoping we can fend this off.

My wife & I just tested positive today (first time ever getting it for me). What a bummer. I'm gonna hop on paxlovid (since I'm not recently boosted and she is) and likely will rebound as positive on christmas day.

And my sister is freaking out because she's been at the hospital for a week with our dying parent, and thinks she can't visit if she caught COVID from us when we visited two days ago, let alone how this might impact funeral planning.

Leperflesh posted:

thanks, everyone. No, she wasn't in any pain at the end. My stepdad played her favorite music and she vaguely responded to it, although she wasn't mouthing the lyrics any more and she hadn't been responsive to simple instructions (like "move your hand") for a week+. She was totally at peace.

Kalli I'm wishing your mom good luck. Cancer treatments right now are amazing. It's no guarantee but survivability is so much higher now than it was even ten years ago.

Sorry to hear that. It's awful to go through this. My mom's going through something different than yours (pancreatic cancer) but losing a mom is terrible no matter the cause

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 19, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I had COVID end of last week, but it was the peeing-from-your-butt kind so I thought I’d just gotten food poisoning until my SO popped a positive test the next day. She just had the regular upper respiratory stuff; I think I would prefer her symptoms to mine.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Condolences, friend. It sucks to lose a loved one or to watch them struggle.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Sorry to hear about your mom, Leper.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Sorry Leper :(

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Sorry for your loss leper. I hope you and your family find peace and comfort in the coming days and weeks.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
That's awful, Leper. I'm terribly sorry.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

my mom died yesterday
long story short tl;dr the parkinsons made her too weak to fight off an infection probably caused by aspiration, and made worse by gross medical incompetence. friday night stepdad had to make the decision to stop suctioning out her lungs every two hours as she was into tachycardia and wbc going back up again and rbc bad and so on, just let her go, she was very calm and relaxed on the morphine the last two days before she slipped away peacefully

hug your moms this xmas, if you can and want to I mean, some moms are bad but my mom was good and if you have a good mom, please hug her

Really sorry to hear that, especially since my mom has parkinsons too. Horrible but glad to know it was peaceful. We all should go out on heavy morphine

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Sorry, Leper

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm so sorry Leper. That's awful.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Condolences, Leper; it’s not a fun situation to be in at all.

gently caress cancer, and if you see your mom soon give her an extra hug.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I've got about 15 hours of work left for the year and I am hating every single one of them.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol the owner of a barber just hit me up on LinkedIn for me to come get a haircut there. That’s a first

There's a food court that opened up one block behind my office about two years ago. It's a 45 second walk. It calls itself a "collective eatery", which :jerkbag: , but it's pretty good. Burger place, chicken place, taco place, pizza place, poke place.

I end up getting chicken more often than not. Every now and then, someone would throw in and I'd get them something. One Wednesday, I decided to just randomly ask everyone in the office if they wanted anything, and pretty soon I was getting a dozen lunch orders. They'd cashapp me or I'd just take their debit card to use. I didn't mind, bosses didn't stress me on the 30 minute time because I was doing something nice for the office, we're supporting a local business, etc. It kinda wound down and I quit doing it six months ago, but I still eat there 1-2 times a week.

One morning I get a call from an unknown number. They call me by name, and say hey this is the guy down at Chicken District, we just wanted to give you a heads-up that with Mardi Gras coming, we're going to a limited menu due to all the traffic we're getting. We're just letting you know ahead of time because we know you come in with big orders. It was a nice little thoughtful thing to do for a repeat customer. (They had my number because I used it for all the rewards, another perk of spending 120 bucks of other peoples' money a week there is I ate for free about every other meal.)

My wife hears my half of the conversation, asks about it, and I said oh that was they guy down at Chicken District just calling to warn me they're not gonna have some items over the next few weeks. No big deal.

She says "Let me get this straight. You go to a chicken joint so much, that when they made a change to the menu, they literally said we gotta call Bob and warn him?"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

aw poo poo Leper, between replying and submitting I missed that. That's terrible man, I am so sorry

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sorry to hear that Leper. Honestly the worst part about getting old is it affects everyone else too, and at the age many of us here are at/are now reaching, it's tough realizing that parents, family friends, and favorite teachers are getting into the later/final stages in life.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

GD_American posted:

aw poo poo Leper, between replying and submitting I missed that. That's terrible man, I am so sorry

You should buy Leperflesh some funeral chicken from that food court.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Android Apocalypse posted:

You should buy Leperflesh some funeral chicken from that food court.

Is that a thing in other states too? Usually at a funeral here, someone buys a big box of fried chicken and brings it for the family (among other people bringing other stuff). Never really thought about it until you mentioned it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I figured bringing food to a funeral/wake was common enough to gamble on that lame joke.

Never forget that the most popular dish of Utah is funeral potatoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmeoaRfZp8E

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Is that a thing in other states too?

In California, it was not.

We found out the first time a family friend died after we moved there from Louisiana. Or if you would, from LA to L.A.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
When my dad died in Maine folks brought food for the family.

Same thing happened when my mom died in Florida.

I figured that just happened. People having to deal with death in the family have so many things to deal with that feeding themselves is almost always put on the back burner.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

I figured bringing food to a funeral/wake was common enough to gamble on that lame joke.

Never forget that the most popular dish of Utah is funeral potatoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmeoaRfZp8E

did nobody else think of the phrase 'wake potatoes'

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Silly Burrito posted:

Is that a thing in other states too? Usually at a funeral here, someone buys a big box of fried chicken and brings it for the family (among other people bringing other stuff). Never really thought about it until you mentioned it.

In Florida in my experience, it's a shrimp tray, which I would also think would apply to Louisiana as well.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

swickles posted:

In Florida in my experience, it's a shrimp tray, which I would also think would apply to Louisiana as well.

Maybe in some areas. Around central Louisiana it’s like a box of 50-100 pieces of fried chicken.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

harperdc posted:

did nobody else think of the phrase 'wake potatoes'

Way too easy to have it morph into "woke potatoes."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Doing some last minute shopping. Does anyone else ever feel like they are actively going crazy when around those clicking anti-theft tags in a store? Like all of them going off randomly and out of sync.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

One of my facilities “hired” Addie.

https://x.com/formerlyfiz/status/1737517057674023294?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm sorry to hear about your good mom, leper. I'm glad she wasn't in any pain.

Also, my mom died and nobody brought me poo poo. I fed everyone else. That was fun.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I do kind of miss this era.

https://twitter.com/cal50/status/1737321275574419888?s=20

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I don’t miss my mom kicking off Age of Empires or Fighters Anthology binges.

Glad we were early broadband adopters.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Braksgirl posted:

Also, my mom died and nobody brought me poo poo. I fed everyone else. That was fun.

:chloe: I'm sorry you are part of an uncaring community that couldn't even do something you could've used.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I can hear the modem dialing in this picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I got to work today and every member of my team got me a christmas gift. wtf you classy assholes when did we start giving each other gifts? looks like i'm shopping tonight