Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cassia blinding the Space Marine is an excellent use of part of her first turn, as is making him walk four squares back from where he starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

At risk of asking an extremely easy question that shows I'm UI illiterate: If you build Pascal as an assassin how do you use assassin techniques to make ranged attacks? For some reason every time I try to use Death Whisper or Killing Edge it only lets me use them with his melee weapon.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

JamMasterJim posted:

Your MC build and general party composition helps a bit for specific advice. For example , any officer with seize the initiative can force someone to walk up and hit him to change hate , like Abelard, or get Idira to throw a debuff like blind or Cassia to start her bullshit. Positioning your two sturdier/dodgier characters up front a spreading the rest so not everyone gets bolted and the ones who do survive generally works. After his turn, you can pile so many debuffs, he stops being a threat (Any of Cassia's debuffs, pascal's possibly heinrix with enfeeble, Abelard using Sworn Enemy etcall depends on your choices) As for the sniper, separating someone with a sniper or longlas and gunning for him can work. Argenta can mow cultists on the way and then switch to long range and she covers a lot of distance with Run and Gun for example.

I have a noble officer MC, argenta, idira, Pasqual, abelard and the Inquisitor guy. My dude also snipes but doesn't have much spare ap and isn't great at it. I do try to stack debuffs but my killing power against the big guy is awful with anyone but Idira.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

At risk of asking an extremely easy question that shows I'm UI illiterate: If you build Pascal as an assassin how do you use assassin techniques to make ranged attacks? For some reason every time I try to use Death Whisper or Killing Edge it only lets me use them with his melee weapon.

I haven't played with a ranged assassin but I'm assuming they use the weapon in your primary hand, which for Pasqal is always his melee axe. You might be able to use them with your gun if you remove his melee weapon altogether? But I'm not sure about that.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah Pasqal is kind of hosed there sadly, I had the same problem

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

hes probably hosed by his unique layout but with other guys usually you have two skill buttons for it (like the bounty hunter's collect skill or w/e its called), one that's for primary hand, other for offhand. check if you have two icons for it. i would assume its an oversight with that skill and him if not since some BH skills compensate

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Help I'm stuck in act 5, I think it's a bug. I'm at Sanctum of Taaphetu and I inspected everything in the system I think, including the sun, and I beat the xeno fleet around the cluster of stars and now I have nowhere to go. I scanned the tomb world and nothing came up lol. Is something supposed to happen or did I miss something from a previous system?

Please just tell me what is supposed to happen and I'll try to jank my way there with Toybox

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

But if you only have one archmilitant (one ranged and one melee) your buffs get concentrated on them and their grim reaper status comes earlier.

The AM's reaper status comes from their own buffs, and if you've pulled Officer out of the equation, this is even more true because the key buff to spooling up the free turns engine is Resolve. The only thing taking that out is make it take more rounds for the AM to come online.

They still benefit from Bounty Hunter and Operative effects globally though, so the likes of -Armor honestly get better the more attackers you have to take advantage of it. No, they won't get Master Tactician's inspiration, I guess. But with Versatility swinging between various states of broken and currently broken in favor of the player... the damage from external single-target buffs is piss in the wind compared to what the AM is giving itself.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Please just tell me what is supposed to happen and I'll try to jank my way there with Toybox

Is this the one with the mines? There should have been mine codes found in one of the other systems that let you deactivate the mines and land on the Tomb World.

If you've explored all the locations and still can't progress, you've probably hit a bug.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Aramoro posted:

I didnt 'do' anything to Jae, she vanished and reappeared without any intervention from me

Your choices in the vision you get from the Darkness determine which of your companions vanishes and re-appears. Specifically the last one where you're asked to sacrifice someone.

Clarste posted:

Yrliet can do the same thing as an Assassin (well, any Assassin, I suppose, but it's easier for her before she has more base dodge for Lethality), and it's probably better with a sniper rifle than a plasma gun anyway.

With Yrliet it's not about dodge, it's about dodge reduction scaling from her Perception. She can easily hit like 100 PER on her own by level 25 or so between gear, characteristics advances and Perfect Spot. And yeah, she basically doesn't run low on AP ever, unless you give her unlimited attacks through an officer.

Also, holy poo poo, I just did the Administratum quest all the way for the achievement. What a ride. :haw:

Magni fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 19, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Anyone know how to perform the ritual in Cassia's Act 4 quest? I'm in the correct system and scanned all the planets and talked to her on the bridge but nada so far

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gotta land at the planet and go to the altar. Hard (but optional) fight follows

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

Anyone know how to perform the ritual in Cassia's Act 4 quest? I'm in the correct system and scanned all the planets and talked to her on the bridge but nada so far

Are you in Orsellio Prophesy, or the system that was revealed and connected to Orsellio Prophesy by a red warp path? IIRC the quest log says Bridge and Cassia talks about Orsellio Prophecy, but the system you're looking for is actually connected to Orsellio and revealed by the quest.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dang that reminds me I'm stuck on the throne room fight on Dargonus stun grenades derail combat so hard drat

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
I'm stuck on incongruous defiler. I can barely kill all the pillars before half my party dies. I don't know what talents people are picking to one shot bosses. I've killed all the pillars. It has 0 armor. Yrliet has all the all the buffs I can put on her. She's at 125 PER 85 AGI. Using all my assassin and operator debuffs. I got 60 stacks of exploit (that should be +600% damage according to tool tip no way that's right). I'm behind the target for +50% damage buff. I hit for 400 and he instantly healed to full next turn. What am I missing?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I just convinced (huge act 3 spoilers) ---Marazhai--- to join my team because I'm pretty much playing my Rogue Trader like he's the FF14 Warrior of Light. I foresee absolutely no negative repercussions of this decision

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FacelessVoid posted:

I'm stuck on incongruous defiler. I can barely kill all the pillars before half my party dies. I don't know what talents people are picking to one shot bosses. I've killed all the pillars. It has 0 armor. Yrliet has all the all the buffs I can put on her. She's at 125 PER 85 AGI. Using all my assassin and operator debuffs. I got 60 stacks of exploit (that should be +600% damage according to tool tip no way that's right). I'm behind the target for +50% damage buff. I hit for 400 and he instantly healed to full next turn. What am I missing?

If he's healing, there's either another mob healing him or he's got an ability that heals him. Mechanically, you also need to be mindful of where he's placing his AOEs. But Yrliet isn't going to kill a boss in one shot ever. Multiple shots on the same turn? Maybe. But it sounds like the bigger problem is that something is healing the boss and you're taking too much damage yourself.

To pick the nit, most of us aren't truely "one shotting" the boss. We're building up +Damage buffs on an Arch Militant with a burst fire weapon, and then ripping off 2-3 bursts from that weapon per turn the character gets at minimum. A 9 damage max Heavy Bolter shot becomes a 100 damage shot, and you get 8 of those in a burst for 800 damage, and you do three bursts for 2400 damage.

I don't remember his mechanics super well, but I remember thinking that I'd spread out since I knew it was going to do two big AOE attacks every so often that my guys would need to move out of, and thus I didn't want to clump up. I was using Ulfar for my bait target. I think I could have chipped him down from there if I wasn't using an Arch Militant build. In order, I think I'd clear the trash mobs, then the pillars, then the boss.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I just convinced (huge act 3 spoilers) ---Marazhai--- to join my team because I'm pretty much playing my Rogue Trader like he's the FF14 Warrior of Light. I foresee absolutely no negative repercussions of this decision

Yrlet one shot him before he could even take a turn

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I only just finished the prologue and am struggling a lot with the first two fights on the first place I landed, Rykad Minoris. Should I have gone elsewhere to start, possibly? I'm broadly unfamiliar with CRPG gameplay and am overwhelmed by all the stats and skills and whatnot; if anyone has any tips to ease the mental load I'd sure appreciate it!

(e) I'm on Normal fwiw; I know I could lower it to Story or whatever but I'd rather learn how to engage with the game, y'know?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chillgamesh posted:

I foresee absolutely no negative repercussions of this decision

He's a bisexual romance option by the way.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ciaphas posted:

I only just finished the prologue and am struggling a lot with the first two fights on the first place I landed, Rykad Minoris. Should I have gone elsewhere to start, possibly? I'm broadly unfamiliar with CRPG gameplay and am overwhelmed by all the stats and skills and whatnot; if anyone has any tips to ease the mental load I'd sure appreciate it!

(e) I'm on Normal fwiw; I know I could lower it to Story or whatever but I'd rather learn how to engage with the game, y'know?

I strongly suggest landing at Eurac V first- the party member you recruit there is one of the most powerful in the game and key to many strategies.

Cythereal posted:

Bisexual, not gay? Huh, I heard he was the latter.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

It helps to do the other two adventures in the system first--the Navigator for an additional party member (I think you have your MC, Idira, Abelard, and Argenta right now) and the prison for more XP. The party member is important because action economy is king, and more characters in the initiative order means more actions for the action economy.

This is without even factoring in how bonkers the Navigator can be built.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

That's the hardest place to start. If you can find the AA cannon in the second map and destroy it, you can run back to your voidship and go somewhere else.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Rykad Minoris starport is a great lesson in how offense is the best defense. Don't position yourself far away from enemies - send Argenta straight at them to line up burst fire zones and aim for killing as many enemies as possible on every turn as opposed to hiding behind cover or playing defensively (e.g. run up to melee someone with Abelard then Charge another target after the attack). Use Heroic Actions as soon as you have enough momentum to use them. Just go all-out offensive in general.

You'll get a 5th party member after 2 or 3 fights and he's very strong in melee at the point where you get him, which should help a lot.

Like others have said it's easier to do other locations first, but if you play aggressively the Starport is a cakewalk even if you do it first.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 19, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Guess I ought to have realized the Navigator would be a party member - I figured I'd give it a pass because it's not like I needed to warp out of the system yet and navigators just do their own thing on the ship in the lore, I'd thought :eng99:

Speaking of Argenta, is it normal for the hit percents on burst fire to just be total rear end? The first time I tried the first fight I positioned her to have 4 enemies in the line of fire; none were higher than 35%, every shot missed, and she got her rear end knocked flat out before any of the rest of my party got a turn at all. (Ditto the next go-round when Adelbard had the first turn; attacking one then charging another got him pulped right through Endure and everything else)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 19, 2023

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

It will always be hilarious to me that Cassia is better at being a "Psyker" than Idira with absolutely zero risk. Cass just poops out multiple Navigator powers per round, hitting half of the mooks on the map (weakening them, immobilizing them, and sometimes even just gibbing them) while still being able to immobilize big targets. Oh, and she has a shitload of wounds and a neverending source of healing for said wounds.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ciaphas posted:

Guess I ought to have realized the Navigator would be a party member - I figured I'd give it a pass because it's not like I needed to warp out of the system yet and navigators just do their own thing on the ship in the lore, I'd thought :eng99:

Speaking of Argenta, is it normal for the hit percents on burst fire to just be total rear end? The first time I tried the first fight I positioned her to have 4 enemies in the line of fire; none were higher than 35%, every shot missed, and she got her rear end knocked flat out before any of the rest of my party got a turn at all. (Ditto the next go-round when Adelbard had the first turn; attacking one then charging another got him pulped right through Endure and everything else)

Her initial gun is like the single worst in the game for burst fire, recoil as a stat is just flatly subtracted from your hit rate and it has 40. Just give her a Longlas or Sniper Rifle for now and a better bolter/heavy bolter when you get them later, by level 15 or so she will be death incarnate with rapid fire.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The hit percentage shown on burst fire isn't exactly correct, because a "missed" shot can still hit a different target in the firing zone, and you can still hit targets that show 0% hit chance when your shot misses. I don't know exactly how all the rolls work but in my experience shots will hit more often than not even when the percentages are very low, as long as you have multiple targets in the firing zone.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 19, 2023

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ciaphas posted:

Argenta takes a while to get going, imo. She's finally starting to come into her own with a few Arch-Militant levels under her belt (or any weapon that actually has a credible burst like a Hotshot Las), especially now that she has the ability to inflict knockdown on anything she hits with a bolter. And yes, as others have noted her starting bolter is an absolute POS and the game does a poor job communicating this to you because you think bolter = good because in 40k, bolters are indeed quite good. Except hers is actively working against her being a remotely functional member of the party in the early game.

Never had issues with Abelard, though. Noble/Officer MC can just pump him up with buffs and then give him a free Charge with the 2 AP extra turn ability to get him in range/chunk things in melee and you can do this from pretty much the start of the game.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 19, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
once Argenta does get going she basically never leaves the party. with my Grand Strategist RT she routinely kills kills like 20 enemies in turn one

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Haha, I figured that when I saw I had the option to say I found him ~intriguing~

I'm a sucker for fairy tale storybook romance so I'm already committed to Cassia but drat if every character I've had an opportunity to romance so far hasn't been really interesting. I love the cast in this game so far.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Heinrix is quickly becoming the Lann of the game, given how stupid easy it is to start his romance by accident and how annoying he's starting to get about it. I just wish that Cassia would be gay with my MC, but it looks like I'll just have to get friendly with Yrliet instead via mutual respect.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LuiCypher posted:

Heinrix is quickly becoming the Lann of the game, given how stupid easy it is to start his romance by accident and how annoying he's starting to get about it. I just wish that Cassia would be gay with my MC, but it looks like I'll just have to get friendly with Yrliet instead via mutual respect.

Don't date the cop.
Download ToyBox to activate the gay.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Jack Trades posted:

Don't date the cop.
Download ToyBox to activate the gay.

Sadly, I am console player so I cannot activate the gay. But I can totally avoid dating the cop, mostly because I think he's an annoying snitch when I embrace my inner 40k-weeb by doing things like buddying up to the Aeldari and using their sweet-rear end guns, so I become less likely to put him in the party anyways.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
How should I be equipping Argenta anyway? She’s like one of my worst combatants and I have to be doing something wrong here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's worth it to keep him in your party and then exclusively make choices that he absolutely hates.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

emSparkly posted:

How should I be equipping Argenta anyway? She’s like one of my worst combatants and I have to be doing something wrong here.

Seems like Burst Fire / high ROF weapons + Archmilitant class is what everyone likes ITT.

I made her a Bounty Hunter and have been using a Sniper Rifle for a while to minimal effect. It felt good early on, could just constantly Bring It Down and she'd 1-shot a lot of things, but has not scaled well at all. Now it's just like a 70% Chance to do like 20 damage or Crit for like 50 damage. Run and Gun lets me make 2 whole attacks. I feel like I could just remove her and Yrliet from my party entirely and hardly notice, except Yr can occasionally delete things with one of her Assassin shooty abilities.

Or I can just use Abe to loving SLAM a huge AoE around me for 70+ Damage and take zero damage from anything :shrug:

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Did the quest bug out for anyone else trying to enter quarantine zone? I think it picked the wrong choice for me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LuiCypher posted:

It will always be hilarious to me that Cassia is better at being a "Psyker" than Idira with absolutely zero risk. Cass just poops out multiple Navigator powers per round, hitting half of the mooks on the map (weakening them, immobilizing them, and sometimes even just gibbing them) while still being able to immobilize big targets. Oh, and she has a shitload of wounds and a neverending source of healing for said wounds.
Navigators are in general just plain better than psykers for most purposes, but they have a union and the psykers don't, so who gets fed to the Corpse-God? That's right.

e: That said how should I be building Cassia for comedy murder wife, she's definitely been a credit to team but I hadn't noticed death snowball yet. But I just finished Act 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah how do I build maximum castigating cassia?