Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

DildenAnders posted:

I just set up Emudeck (which is absolutely insane, I higgly recommend doing it if you want to emulate even a single game) but thr control schemes are a bit janky. What's the tool that allows me to configure all of the controls well?

Hit the Steam button when playing the game, then A to see the options for that game. Second item on the list should be your controls settings for that game.

Emudeck sets up custom bindings that handle the common problems for most emulators, so you'll almost certainly be looking at a binding set up by Emudeck. Customize to your taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Judgment gave me a little bit of trouble halfway through when it just started freezing for no reason, but switching to an older version of Proton fixed it.

I also beat Control on Deck and it was generally fine, but I found the game would start chugging during firefights, especially if I played on battery power.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Risutora posted:

oled upgrade totally justified

How is BG3 running nowadays? Going to my inlaws for a week and would be lovely to pick it up again while im off work

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm only in Act 1 and I understand that it chugs the further you go, but so far it runs smoothly enough. What I have noticed is a significant lag between you selecting an action like initiating dialogue and the game actually responding, such that I had to learn to be patient and not reflexively press A again as this then skips the first line of dialogue when it loads. I upgraded my 64GB SSD to a decently fast one a while back so I don't think that's the issue, it's fine to play but it's a consistent gripe I've had to adjust to.

Also the UI is friggin tiny, I don't know if it's possible to resize it but I have to wear glasses to avoid eye strain.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Since people are talking about emulation, does Deck do original x-box at all? I can't imagine as it takes a drat decent gaming PC to use xemu, but I wanted to ask.

Commander Keene posted:

If you still have your Wii U but your Gamepad's battery is shot like mine, there's even a way to have the Deck emulate a Gamepad on a real Wii U.

I bought a new pad and a new, first-party battery (much better battery life) a few years ago for my Wii U, which still works quite well. Nevertheless, the above is jolly impressive.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

JustJeff88 posted:

Since people are talking about emulation, does Deck do original x-box at all? I can't imagine as it takes a drat decent gaming PC to use xemu, but I wanted to ask.

Depends on the game, I’ve been playing Timesplitters 2 through Xemu and it’s fine, though a lot of other games are unplayably slow.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

JustJeff88 posted:

It really does depend on the game. Stuff like DOA3, JSRF, Mechassault, Tao Feng, THPS 2X, and SSX Tricky all run fine-to-playable at native, but Otogi swiftly becomes unplayable when any major destruction happens. Crimson Skies is almost smooth enough to be enjoyable.

If it's a multiplatform game, it's probably better to grab the PS2 version or so, since that one can be easily upscaled and set to run in widescreen at a locked smooth frame rate.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

Since people are talking about emulation, does Deck do original x-box at all?

I had no problems with Metal Wolf Chaos :whatup:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I played some Ninja Gaiden Black on xemu and it ran mostly perfect. Only issue is the cg cutscenes don't work (you only get the audio) but apparently that's an emulation issue and not deck specific.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

beep by grandpa posted:

I had no problems with Metal Wolf Chaos :whatup:

Yes but what about the ones that aren't on Steam?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

Yes but what about the ones that aren't on Steam?

I used the xbox jpn ISO i've had since I was in high school lol

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

pc gaming modding community remains the greatest community on earth

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

pc gaming modding community remains the greatest community on earth

What’s the story with my house on deck? Can you do the full thing without any issues???

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coffee Jones posted:

SteamDeck: Just biting the bullet and no longer dicking with Cemu or MelonDS and Buying A Third, But Also twelve years old, $250 hand held to play Pokerman rom hacks ITT

:raise: I'm beginning to question your dedication to handheld gaming

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
There are basically two original X-Box games that are exclusive to that platform that I'm very attached to: D&D Heroes and ToeJam & Earl 3. Neither of these has ever been ported anywhere else. Someone sold me my first original XBox for £50 shortly after they came out, and my first act was to buy TJ&E3.

That's also my favourite version of Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, but the GC version is almost as good and runs on my Odin just fine. If it will run on Odin, it's a doddle for a deck.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Coffee Jones posted:

SteamDeck: Just biting the bullet and no longer dicking with Cemu or MelonDS and Buying A Third, But Also twelve years old, $250 hand held to play Pokerman rom hacks ITT

But yeah I regret selling my 2DSXL despite knowing my DS/3DS backlog is more or less at bankruptcy

I mean buying the second means you have two nice screens and they are touch screen...

Also for some reason your offline gameplay doesn't count for the year thing, so idk how accurate mine is since I do a good bit of offline play. I'll upload later.

minusX fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 19, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

networking two decks together, to act as each screen of a 3DS

Weedle
May 31, 2006

when two people touch their decks together it's called "protting"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the Zune called it squirting

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

njsykora posted:

My top game was Final Fantasy 13.

same, somehow

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Final Fantasy 12 is a perfect Deck game because it's also a perfect game (except for the lack of intermittent dialogue outside of cutscenes). FF13 is also perfect for the deck, but it has a Lot Of Problems as a game-- most of which were fixed in FF13-2.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The FFXIII trilogy has some technical problems on PC right?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Risutora posted:

oled upgrade totally justified

How is BG3 on the deck?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Rolo posted:

How is BG3 on the deck?

It runs fine for me, and there are lots of options to mess around with - but - I prefer to just stream it from my PC via Moonlight. Better visuals and no fan noise!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok so all this talk about streaming has me wondering something.

I used to have my desk in my living room next to my TV, made it easy to play PC games on my 65" TV but now my desk is in another room and I miss big screen PC gamin'. Plus my deck syncs with the cloud now and I love the idea of bopping between the two on the same save files.

So here's my question: I have a TV, a Deck, a gaming PC in the other room and a hard network connection between rooms. Is there some combo of things I can use (without buying and running a 100 ft powered HDMI cable) to get low latency, 1440p120 from my PC to my TV?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I keep meaning to start Final Fantasy 12. I intended to play through all of the mainline Final Fantasy games this year but only managed to beat 1-6. I stalled out partway through FF7, primarily because I played through it a couple years ago, and then FF16 came out and that goal died.

Maybe I’ll continue on in the new year?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Ok so all this talk about streaming has me wondering something.

I used to have my desk in my living room next to my TV, made it easy to play PC games on my 65" TV but now my desk is in another room and I miss big screen PC gamin'. Plus my deck syncs with the cloud now and I love the idea of bopping between the two on the same save files.

So here's my question: I have a TV, a Deck, a gaming PC in the other room and a hard network connection between rooms. Is there some combo of things I can use (without buying and running a 100 ft powered HDMI cable) to get low latency, 1440p120 from my PC to my TV?

Parsec or moonlight with your deck connected to the tv via any dock / usb c to hdmi connection.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

Parsec or moonlight with your deck connected to the tv via any dock / usb c to hdmi connection.

I would be open to buying a Dock for this. So are you saying I'd be able to have:

-Super low latency (I'm talking games like Sekiro)
-Higher resolution and frames than natively supported by the deck on its own
-Bluetooth controller support in my living room

Again, I could make this work over a Cat6 cable, there would be no wifi involved. I figured it would lock me at 800p90 though?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rolo posted:

I would be open to buying a Dock for this. So are you saying I'd be able to have:

Again, I could make this work over a Cat6 cable, there would be no wifi involved. I figured it would lock me at 800p90 though?

You will get all those things if you hardwire the Deck and PC, IMO.

No, the Deck can drive 4K screens if docked, and that’s mostly up to your network if you’re streaming.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Rolo posted:

That's just for the Deck screen. If you're using it docked, it can output whatever the TV and cables can support.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deck and Moonlight is super good. Playing games at maxed out quality with 5+ hour battery life? Yeah sure let’s go.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Shoot I’m buying a dock then! I’ve missed having games on my TV that can be driven by my 3080.

Also moonlight over WiFi 6E while portable sounds dope.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rolo posted:

Shoot I’m buying a dock then! I’ve missed having games on my TV that can be driven by my 3080.

Also moonlight over WiFi 6E while portable sounds dope.

Add tailscale or zerotier to the mix and you can remote in and play from anywhere. I run moonlight at home entirely over WiFi 6 and it’s more than enough (we’re selling the house soon-ish so I don’t want to run ethernet all over)

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Anyone deal with the RMA process if it's been more than a year since shipment? My power button is completely unresponsive, but I've had my deck since summer 2022 so it's out of warranty.

It doesn't look very difficult to open it and fix it myself.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Xinlum posted:

Anyone deal with the RMA process if it's been more than a year since shipment? My power button is completely unresponsive, but I've had my deck since summer 2022 so it's out of warranty.

It doesn't look very difficult to open it and fix it myself.

Yep, I got an RMA for a failed bumper button a month or two after my 1 year anniversary. They mentioned it was after a year, but that as a customer service courtesy they'd offer it to me. Go for it, see what you can get.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Add tailscale or zerotier to the mix and you can remote in and play from anywhere. I run moonlight at home entirely over WiFi 6 and it’s more than enough (we’re selling the house soon-ish so I don’t want to run ethernet all over)

That's nuts, I had no idea this kind of stuff was capable with a decent network, PC and DockDeck.

I'm going to have 4K gaming on my TV that cloud saves to a handheld gaming PC that can also stream off my 3080 wirelessly. If this does work that well my Switch is going bye-bye.

And yes I realize this setup costs like 3 grand more than just buying a Switch but still, this is gonna be a dope setup.

Edit: I may sell all my consoles.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 19, 2023

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Rinkles posted:

The FFXIII trilogy has some technical problems on PC right?

it sure does. ff13fix works on pc and deck to work around some of the worst bits of xiii and xiii-2 at least. it was kind of fragile but I got through them alright. hard to tell how much of that was my deck's half-updated set of decky plugins and other manual tweaks though

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I keep meaning to start Final Fantasy 12. I intended to play through all of the mainline Final Fantasy games this year but only managed to beat 1-6. I stalled out partway through FF7, primarily because I played through it a couple years ago, and then FF16 came out and that goal died.

Maybe I’ll continue on in the new year?

It runs extremely well on the Deck. I personally feel like the vanilla game is WAY too easy, so I use the SFF difficulty mod but vanilla is just really excellent-- even if some of the mechanics and choices are a bit bone-headed.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got moonlight working easily enough wirelessly since no dock yet. Used Decky to scrape some pretty artwork for the icons.

This thing is a tinkerers dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I was looking at the tailscale / nix guide earlier but I realized that I don't leave the house often enough do this :sweatdrop: