Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kylaer posted:

Yeah, that's part of why I've been experimenting with brush priming too. And when I use cans I do it outdoors and wear a respirator. But it's cold and damp outdoors this time of year so that's why I was pondering an airbrush for indoor use.

There's a window in my project room and I usually have it open at least somewhat, although when I'm running the resin printer that can be an issue because it gets cold. I've got the air vent in the room taped off and I put weather stripping around the door so there's little to no detectable resin smell in the hallway.

You can purchase fermentation vat heater bands for the resin printer and run it around the vat and this can help with temperature issues. Airbrush priming with an acrylic primer, like Vallejo, I find gives the best results in the areas that matter. Coverage, which is important if you want to do a contrast paint or pre-shading, is easy to manage with an airbrush without compromising on layer thickness or blocking areas of detail. Also, if you are painting a model that is mostly a single color, such as Ultramarines, Imperial Fists, etc... the airbrush is a great tool for getting the base layer on and saves you a ton of effort and time on colors that are traditionally hard to paint, such as yellow. As long as you are using strictly acrylics that do not have additives that contain heavy metals, the concern is particulate inhalation causing irritation and damage to the lungs. You already have sufficient PPE to utilize the air brush. Any paint by GW, Army Painter, and some other lines will be perfectly safe. GSW and Vallejo have some paints that would require more intricate ventilation set-ups, and Tamiya and Testors have a bunch of enamels that you probably don't want to mess with. In fact, hobby wise, you are probably fine to just stick with acrylics for everything. It is also better to get started with an airbrush right away instead of waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bohemian Nights posted:

Can't just drop that into a post and not share your favorite and least favorite paint

The GW washes like Nuln/Agrax/etc. all kind of taste like sesame oil, it's a nice flavor. However, Contrast paints and especially Speedpaints are really bitter, not a fan. Most standard acrylics are pretty neutral.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kylaer posted:

Yeah, that's part of why I've been experimenting with brush priming too. And when I use cans I do it outdoors and wear a respirator. But it's cold and damp outdoors this time of year so that's why I was pondering an airbrush for indoor use.

If you have a door opening outside can just stand in the door and spray out. Of course if your door opens onto a five foot way it may be a problem but I've sprayed like this for years in all weather without a problem.

Temperature of the can is more important so keep those indoors.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

The GW washes like Nuln/Agrax/etc. all kind of taste like sesame oil, it's a nice flavor. However, Contrast paints and especially Speedpaints are really bitter, not a fan. Most standard acrylics are pretty neutral.

Have you tried any of their texture paints yet?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
please do not encourage goons to ingest paint

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Some people act like they're working with asbestos, some people just eat the paint, to each their own :hydrogen:

What's the current recommended airbrush if my main purpose is priming? The OP about airbrushes was last updated in 2016, is there a new go-to for a brush and compressor?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Kylaer posted:

What's the current recommended airbrush if my main purpose is priming? The OP about airbrushes was last updated in 2016, is there a new go-to for a brush and compressor?

I got a good, high quality Iwata .35mm airbrush and hated using it for priming. It handled black primers fine, but my preferred primer is white and it'd clog constantly. So I bought a cheap trash .5mm cake decorating airbrush for ~$25 on Amazon and it's been fantastic for white primers and spraying varnish.

I won't feel particularly bad when it eventually wears out, but it's still fine after six months.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Don't buy a cheap trash airbrush for your first one, because you'll hate the thing and by extension airbrushing.

You can reliably find an Iwata Neo for about 70 bucks. Get one of those, read the instructions, and don't drop anything in such a way that you bend the needle.

Don't get one of those handheld compressors either, they're garbage.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Iwata is a good brand, or an entry level Harder & Steenbeck like the ultra can be had for under $100US.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If your compressor looks like this

then you're good to go. Cause some factory in China is churning these things out by the truckload and various other Chinese companies are selling them under their own name on amazon and they're all the exact same thing. The first one I bought had a leak which made it impossible to maintain pressure so I returned it and got a second one and it's worked perfectly ever since. You don't need anything better than one of these for miniature painting.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
You know, I was just thinking about the line between this being a casual and serious hobby. I think if I ever had a full on compressor sitting next to my minis, I'll know I've made it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lighting isn’t great but good lighting at this time of year where I am is hard to come by. Finished my Screamer Killer, and this will be my last model of 2023.

There’s a couple of elements I feel could have turned out better but overall I’m very happy with the result, and it’s a great model.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

You know, I was just thinking about the line between this being a casual and serious hobby. I think if I ever had a full on compressor sitting next to my minis, I'll know I've made it.

I know it might seem that way, but it takes no effort. A "casual" with disposable income can just buy an airbrush+compressor through Amazon to try it after watching a YouTuber airbrushing models and making it look like easy-mode.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 20, 2023

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Lighting isn’t great but good lighting at this time of year where I am is hard to come by. Finished my Screamer Killer, and this will be my last model of 2023.

There’s a couple of elements I feel could have turned out better but overall I’m very happy with the result, and it’s a great model.

Cool as hell

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Lord Ludikrous posted:

That looks excellent!

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I washed the Predator on the right with Agrax Earthshade because it's brown, that's the right contrast isn't it? (it's also got some Vallejo mud textured paint on the front, which I cleverly applied after the shade).

:hmmno:

Then I washed the Sicaran with Seraphim Sepia as recommended and it looks pretty good!

More things:

The infantry are primer, Imperial Fist contrast paint, Armypainter Broadsword Silver on the guns and then the sepia wash. Working up my courage to try some finer details. Also working up my courage to try regular paints instead of relying on contrast. I did buy a wet palette but haven't tried it yet.

I want to figure out a better recipe for the plasma cannons, although Army Painter speedpaint Plasma Bolt (which is on this one) is okay-ish. I'd like something a little more blue rather than green.

Also I tried this Stirland Mud textured effect paint and...I don't think it's necessarily great for mud, but I think it'll look awesome as a rust effect (although maybe not at this scale unless I can figure out how to apply it in reallllly small quantities).

I love Army Painter Broadsword Silver and Enchanted Steel speed paints, they've been the absolute easiest thing for my fumbling novice self to get the hang of. I've been using the Broadsword for tracks, hatches, and exhaust pipes, and the Steel for weapons and I really like the way they both look, and they're super easy to apply.

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 20, 2023

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Eej posted:

then you're good to go. Cause some factory in China is churning these things out by the truckload and various other Chinese companies are selling them under their own name on amazon and they're all the exact same thing. The first one I bought had a leak which made it impossible to maintain pressure so I returned it and got a second one and it's worked perfectly ever since. You don't need anything better than one of these for miniature painting.

Have to agree that these compressors are just perfect for the hobby. You can get a combo with an airbrush that will work perfectly well for priming for less than an army box.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y64YQ3M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would also say that you want to get your airbrush as early as possible, not later in your painting journey. Having access to good tools is really helpful to growing your skills.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I think an airbrush is still the most or at least tied for the single most impactful hobby tool I’ve used in the last 20 years of hobbying.

There’s very much a (before airbrush) and (after airbrush) on the timeline.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Those are some mighty fine striations on that carapace.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

i've been using a Fengda Airbrush Hi-Flow FE-183 for about 6 months now and its my primary airbrush even over my fancy Mr Hobby and Badger 105

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW59aZCPqVg this is the review that convinced me to pick it up.

The cheap airbrushes right now really are good enough to work on and you have much less fear of loving them up.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Yeast posted:

I think an airbrush is still the most or at least tied for the single most impactful hobby tool I’ve used in the last 20 years of hobbying.

There’s very much a (before airbrush) and (after airbrush) on the timeline.

Airbrushing has turned my piles of unpainted grey plastic into piles of basecoated miniatures. :v:

I'm going to suggest if finances permit - get an Iwata Eclipse rather than a Neo (though thf Neo is still a very good entry brush). The Iwata Neo and all the other cheap airbrushes have a bit of a design issue in that the path from the reservoir to the tip is very difficult if not impossible to clean so after enough gunk builds up it performance degrades dramatically. The Eclipse has a different tip design and is much less painful to disassemble and clean.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
The speed at which I can print models is at least two orders of magnitude faster than the speed at which I can paint, so I'll order an airbrush, thanks all for the input!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Eej posted:

This is 100% correct and should be in the OP.

I have a Patriot I use for priming and basecoating, but I no longer reccomend badger airbrushes because the owner was a chud during covid, and their quality has gone down in the last few years.

Also don't think you need a fancy detail brush to get great results, with practice you can get amazing details and beautiful fades with a big standard .5 brush.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Bucnasti posted:

This is 100% correct and should be in the OP.

I have a Patriot I use for priming and basecoating, but I no longer reccomend badger airbrushes because the owner was a chud during covid, and their quality has gone down in the last few years.

Also don't think you need a fancy detail brush to get great results, with practice you can get amazing details and beautiful fades with a big standard .5 brush.

I dropped them because of the chud my freedoms poo poo but would have anyway dealing with their god awful support.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Looks like Vallejo just had a private equity firm purchase majority ownership.

https://www.webcapitalriesgo.com/proa-capital-acuerda-la-compra-del-fabricante-de-pintura-acrylicos-vallejo/

Buy some paints now before they get hosed, I suppose.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
My compressor I got for like 40 bucks in LIDL as a special sale item and it looks exactly like that one without the tank, probably same factory as well. This also seems to be same as mine except comes with a slightly nicer brush for 80 on amazon

I know a tank is recommended to give consistent flow but tbh that LIDL version of the compressor even without the tank has done me fine for a good few years now, though not using it consistently. I think for just starting out if the tankless version is all you can find, it can be worth it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sojenus posted:

https://www.webcapitalriesgo.com/proa-capital-acuerda-la-compra-del-fabricante-de-pintura-acrylicos-vallejo/

gently caress, RIP Vallejo

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

My compressor I got for like 40 bucks in LIDL as a special sale item and it looks exactly like that one without the tank, probably same factory as well. This also seems to be same as mine except comes with a slightly nicer brush for 80 on amazon

I know a tank is recommended to give consistent flow but tbh that LIDL version of the compressor even without the tank has done me fine for a good few years now, though not using it consistently. I think for just starting out if the tankless version is all you can find, it can be worth it.

I also bought a rebranded version of this exact compressor without a tank, and I jury rigged up a tank using a air tank I found in a auto parts store for like 20$:

(I know the regulator is in the wrong place, I moved it after the tank after taking this photo)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Sojenus posted:

Well poo poo. Hopefully they don't get gutted, but that's just more reason for me to continue switching over to Monument Hobbies/Duncan Rhodes in preparation for the inevitable, I guess.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Sojenus posted:

I had hope until the link said that most of their portfolio is avation parts and services.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well, planes do need a good coat of paint.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Painted up a Henry Tudor for my Wars of the Roses project. Is he basically wearing Henry VIII's armor? Yes but who cares knights are cool.

Also lol I'm bad at freehanding flags but it looks fine enough from 3 feet away

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sojenus posted:

Here's the full original story.

It's not a serious cause for worry in the medium term. The current CEO and management are staying on, it was a friendly purchase, and they have a specific goal for the influx of money: expanding international distribution.

Twincityhacker posted:

I had hope until the link said that most of their portfolio is avation parts and services.

yeah it makes sense that they're buying in to expand internationally then

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Vallejo’s biggest problem, by far, is distribution so if they can do anything to help that it’ll work wonders.

Every single flgs I go to that stocks Vallejo has the same problem. Big range, always missing white, black, and popular colours.

Ask the owner, ‘yeah we’ve had an order for them for over 4 months’

Insane stuff.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Late to Airbrush chat but I've been using the Paasche TG Talon and it's really good and I don't know why more people don't talk about them.

Great beginner airbrush because the hole from the paint pot to the tip is larger (because of stepped needle) and easier to clean.

edit: The kit I bought has a .25, .38 and .66mm needles that interchange really smartly (because of stepped needles)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

For hobby purposes on these modern compressors, a tank isn't necessary to maintain constant air pressure, but it's very useful as a second moisture trap.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

That's a good reminder for folks starting out - a compressor with a tank accumulates water. There's usually a screw on the bottom. You should do what I didn't and let that drain into your sink more than once a year.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

That's a good reminder for folks starting out - a compressor with a tank accumulates water. There's usually a screw on the bottom. You should do what I didn't and let that drain into your sink more than once a year.

I've unscrewed mine several times and no water has ever come out. Don't know if that means I'm in a bone-dry area, or that I don't use my airbrush enough.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yeast posted:

Vallejo’s biggest problem, by far, is distribution so if they can do anything to help that it’ll work wonders.

Every single flgs I go to that stocks Vallejo has the same problem. Big range, always missing white, black, and popular colours.

Ask the owner, ‘yeah we’ve had an order for them for over 4 months’

Insane stuff.
this imo is the one big advantage citadel has, ive never really seen their paints out of stock. maybe on the day of a new box set release the local GW shop runs out of a colour or two but apart from that they’re super reliable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kylaer posted:

(although maybe not at this scale unless I can figure out how to apply it in reallllly small quantities).

Drybrush. Get some nicely textured paper towels, knock off most of the pigment and all of the moisture and then hit the areas you want rusty very gently with the brush.