Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I like Gale because if you help him be better he just becomes a dorky college professor and it suits him much better than turning into a god of magic or whatever.

Jack Trades posted:

Her romance is basically in Act 3 only.

Oh good I may still have a chance at love (gently caress off Halsin)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I got to (Act 3 spoilers) the iron throne and uh.. man that's kinda hard to save everyone. I successfully managed to get everyone untied, but it took me much too long to get Omeluum out and so I lost my second attempt.

I think I might go back and do Gortash's coronation as I don't think that's going to make me try and kill him? I used the big ol bomb to clear Shadowheart's Act 3 encounter, so I have to save the families in order to disable the steel watch. I was mildly spoiled that the Duke can end up there later, so hopefully with prebuffing haste and swiftness potions plus going in prepped for the 6 turns I can get everyone and get out.

Is there any tricks I should be aware of here? My biggest problem was getting Omeluum out, if I was going for only the families I think I'd end up clearing it pretty easily.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Omeluum: Has a teleport that works for you and one other member of the party, so you can take your time getting to him as long as it's only one character.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I got to (Act 3 spoilers) the iron throne and uh.. man that's kinda hard to save everyone. I successfully managed to get everyone untied, but it took me much too long to get Omeluum out and so I lost my second attempt.

I think I might go back and do Gortash's coronation as I don't think that's going to make me try and kill him? I used the big ol bomb to clear Shadowheart's Act 3 encounter, so I have to save the families in order to disable the steel watch. I was mildly spoiled that the Duke can end up there later, so hopefully with prebuffing haste and swiftness potions plus going in prepped for the 6 turns I can get everyone and get out.

Is there any tricks I should be aware of here? My biggest problem was getting Omeluum out, if I was going for only the families I think I'd end up clearing it pretty easily.

He has a special ability if you reach him

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Fought Bernard at level 4, and wow, first time honor mode absolutely kicked my rear end. Barely, barely escaped by running down floors of elevator (that didn't require movement or action) and getting one char to camp. Didn't expect him to be so tough.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Someone is going to say respec to monk and point out you can shoot levers. I have something more convoluted I'd like to try in a week or two when my group gets there.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Omeluum: Has a teleport that works for you and one other member of the party, so you can take your time getting to him as long as it's only one character.

:doh: oh geez, I got him untied but didn't see he had a teleport ability. I was pretty tired when I was doing it though, so I'll have to give it another try

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

trevorreznik posted:

Fought Bernard at level 4, and wow, first time honor mode absolutely kicked my rear end. Barely, barely escaped by running down floors of elevator (that didn't require movement or action) and getting one char to camp. Didn't expect him to be so tough.

Maybe you should have just accepted a hug

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

In addition to what the above posters said, I usually send someone with Fly (if you send someone who doesn't have Fly, scrolls should be easy to find at Sorcerous Sundries) down that way. I can't remember if that has Difficult Terrain in the area because the way I do it is had Shadowheart fly down that way and summon a Spiritual Weapon to keep the adds spawning in that room busy while I did my thing. Beyond that it's just a matter of making sure everyone has their movement speed juiced - don't be afraid to chug potions of speed, break out the ritual casts of Longstrider, use Dimension Door/Arcane Gate (Arcane Gate isn't amazing in any other circumstances but it rules here), pop off a twinned haste if you have a Sorcerer or get out the Boots of Speed for someone who's slow as molasses (I had them on Gale, f'ex).

Monathin fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 19, 2023

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
So I'm doing a Durge run now, and I want to know if what I'm trying to do works/makes sense. I want to RP a dumb, Dudley Do-right rear end paladin who always makes the moral upstanding choice when it's not Durge related, but always gives in to the dark urge suggestions (except involving recruiting companions, because I missed a ton my first playthrough and want to try them out). Without getting too spoilery about Durge-specific stuff, does this make any sense, or do you have to kind of follow a good character = resist urge model?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

What's the best way to use this? My wife is playing a pure Tempest Cleric in our co-op game, and while she does okay with it, it doesn't seem particularly special.

You're a cleric with heavy armor and martial weapons and then on top of that you get a bunch of thunder/lightning damage nukes for domain spells and a Channel Divinity that maximizes the damage on them. That's neat, but it really gets bonkers when you combine with the various items that grant buffs/debuffs from that damage (such as Reverberation).

Where Tempest shines is setting up wombo combos because Lightning (and Cold) damage is doubled against Wet targets. So you get an enemy Wet, then you drop a maximum damage Lightning damage spell for double damage. You can go sorceror and cast a quickened Create Water to do that, or you can use the trick with offhand crossbow and a bottle of water from your inventory.

What you do is have your Tempest cleric dual-wield hand crossbows. They run up to Big Bad and move a bottle of water (or barrel) from their inventory to the feet of Big Bad (costs no action to move things from your inventory) then shoot it with your offhand crossbow to break it (bonus action) and inflict Wet. Then you use your full action to cast Call Lightning with Channel Divinity and boom you've done 60 damage (30 on a save) in a small area and you can do this twice per short rest.

Starting from level 5 your tempest cleric can casually drop a couple 60 damage (30 on save) nukes each combat. It's very strong.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I’m really enjoying turning into a spider and wrecking poo poo,wish it wasn’t so big that it blocked doorways though.

And they deffo used Cate blanchett for kagha’s face right?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Larry Cum Free posted:

So I'm doing a Durge run now, and I want to know if what I'm trying to do works/makes sense. I want to RP a dumb, Dudley Do-right rear end paladin who always makes the moral upstanding choice when it's not Durge related, but always gives in to the dark urge suggestions (except involving recruiting companions, because I missed a ton my first playthrough and want to try them out). Without getting too spoilery about Durge-specific stuff, does this make any sense, or do you have to kind of follow a good character = resist urge model?

Without spoilers, if you always commit to the Dark Urge actions you will basically guaranteed break your Paladin Oath before you hit Level 3. You can Oathbreaker from there if you like but I suspect Oathbreaker Paladin might be going against the theme you're thinking of.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
At the risk of offending the anti min max crowd; the best way to do tempest cleric/sorc is:

1 level of wizard so you can scribe any scroll (in particular you need to scribe chain lightning and art of war). 2 levels of tempest cleric for the channel divinity ability. 9 levels of draconic sorc, picking an ancestry that is lightning based. (You’ll get bonus damage on lightning spells).

You want 17 cha, 16 Int, 14 dex, 10 con, 8 wis and str (early on you can use the headband to get 17 int and put points into con, then respec later when there are good caster hats available and you’ve got a bigger HP pool if you want - you can also just do pure sorc to start and respec later, but it’s important to your build that you take your wizard and cleric levels before you take your sorc levels)

Take 1 feat as an ASI for CHA - you’ll get the other 3 points from the mirror in act 3.

The other feat is for elemental adept: lightning.

Key endgame gear:

Markoheskir - gives you a free cast of chain lightning that works off your cha per short rest, and a use of arcane battery and +1 spell DC

Ketheric’s shield and robe of the weave are each another +1 DC and +2 AC. Another +1 DC from cloak of the weave.

Hood of the weave gives +2 DC

Amulet of the devout gives +2 spell save DC and an extra channel divinity (which is huge)

At this point you have 20 AC, and can arbitrarily have more from shield as needed, so you rarely get hit. You have items that heal you when you pass saving throws. You also have the ability to cast sanctuary as a bonus action from your one cleric spell slot in a pinch. You only have 62 HP but you can get 10 bonus HP from shield of thrall, or 20 if you do the whole necromancy book thing. There are all sorts of spells for increasing your HP more if you need it - aid, heroes feast etc.

You end up with 23 spell dc for spells cast as wizard and 26 for spells cast as sorc

Where this build is nutty is sheer combat damage when you decide to blow your load - say a big boss fight.

Round one - you use the free cast of chain lightning from Markoheskir, and you apply twin spell to it. 8 targets taking 80 damage each thanks to your channel divinity. Then you use quicken spell to cast a second chain lightning on your bonus action, this time using up your arcane battery charge - another 4 targets, another channel divinity, another 80 damage (or save second channel divinity for round 2 if you prefer)

Round two - you cast a third chain lightning, this time using your level 6 spell slot. You can twin it again so it hits 8 targets. For your bonus action you can cast art of war as a quickened spell.

It’s unlikely there will be a round 3.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Monathin posted:

Without spoilers, if you always commit to the Dark Urge actions you will basically guaranteed break your Paladin Oath before you hit Level 3. You can Oathbreaker from there if you like but I suspect Oathbreaker Paladin might be going against the theme you're thinking of.

I'm vengeance paladin and don't super mind going oathbreaker. I'll still try my best to abide by the broken oath when I'm not in murder fugue. Vengeance seems hard to break anyway, like you need to side with evil out of convenience or personal gain.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Vengeance makes the most sense for a non-oathbreaking Durge Paladin, there aren't actually too many events that openly conflict with it. Not getting in the way of vengeance and murdering the impure is hardly a problem for Durge. Wanton slaughter for me, not for thee!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Oh yeah, I assumed by Dudley Do-Right you were going Devotion Paladin which is a way harder circle to square.

I don't know of any common pitfalls with Vengeance Pally that Durge would trip but if you're fine with going Oathbreaker then you should be set, that said you might find later on you end up going full Resist Durge anyway because Murder Durge inevitably conflicts with doing the 'right' thing. But that's a fun problem for future you!

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Appreciate the advice! I look forward to being a Land of Contrasts.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My co-op experience has been kinda weird and lots of fun, like it's so contrary to my usual style of play but the game supports it very well. My friend is full YOLO and we (mostly he) constantly pick fights, sometimes deliberately, like when we quickly agree to murder an NPC who's being a dick, but usually by "accident", i.e. by trespassing and ignoring warnings

Anyway what feels particularly strange is how we've been transitioning through the areas. Best example is, we went to speak to Karlach for my personal quest (we ended up killing her because my buddy carelessly pickpocketed her (he's a wizard)), after which we wandered around the wilderness a little until we got to an inn. From the inn we found a smuggler hideout in some caves, from the hideout we found an elevator going DOWN, from there we kept heading down towards an underground lake, we crossed the lake and we arrived at a huge, ancient forge and made some mithral heavy armour neither of us can use. And I'm just like, man what the gently caress are we doing, remember our tadpole problem? The goblin camp we were meant to explore and the kidnapped druid we said we were gonna rescue? Quests that would probably add some context as to why there's a huge, ancient forge here? Why are we getting involved with Underdark faction conflicts? But the map just keeps going and going

This is with the Lone Wolf mod that doubles actions, double actions and spell slots, which is really fun, again in this context of just loving around.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm not tryin' to pick a fight or argument or anything but I think it's worth keeping in mind with build discussion that you'll spend most of the game not at level 12 with blinged out end-game gear setups. So, minmax end-game builds are one thing but you might also think about what you want to do for a build in Acts 1 and 2 etc.

Which is why I recommend stuff like pure battlemaster fighter, swords bard, tempest or light cleric, divination or evocation wizard, open hand monk, throwbarb, paladin, and so on. They're strong throughout the game and straightforward to play. Slightly suboptimal for level 12 endgame play but oh well.

Honestly you can't go wrong with just about any class/subclass, the game is really not that hard. Imo the only class that's kind of underwhelming is ranger, everything else will be quite powerful as a pure class.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Pellisworth posted:

I'm not tryin' to pick a fight or argument or anything but I think it's worth keeping in mind with build discussion that you'll spend most of the game not at level 12 with blinged out end-game gear setups. So, minmax end-game builds are one thing but you might also think about what you want to do for a build in Acts 1 and 2 etc.

Which is why I recommend stuff like pure battlemaster fighter, swords bard, tempest or light cleric, divination or evocation wizard, open hand monk, throwbarb, paladin, and so on. They're strong throughout the game and straightforward to play. Slightly suboptimal for level 12 endgame play but oh well.

Yeah this is another reason why I think trying to relentlessly min-max optimize for greatest DPR possible is going overboard. The game really doesn't need you to do it to that degree and it requires a fair amount of finagling, whereas monoclassing or simpler multiclasses tend to be easier to plot out.

"You take this and that at points XYZ, use this gear in this specific way, and do things this ABC way so you get all the free stats". There is a level of strength to something just working and not needing additional system mastery for basic operation.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
like if the question was "what do I do for a PC and companion builds that will be a strong party throughout the game" I would say something like:

PC - Swords bard or paladin (whatever oath) for your player character, take Persuasion as it's the most important dialogue skill.
Shadowheart - respec to Light or Tempest domain which are not thematic for her but oh well. Also fix her stats.
Astarion - make him an open hand monk and get a total of 3 thief levels at some point.
Wyll - basically fine as-is.
Karlach - ditto. Make her a berserker and throw poo poo, throwbarb build.
Gale - go Divination or Evocation

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Monathin posted:

Yeah this is another reason why I think trying to relentlessly min-max optimize for greatest DPR possible is going overboard. The game really doesn't need you to do it to that degree and it requires a fair amount of finagling, whereas monoclassing or simpler multiclasses tend to be easier to plot out.

"You take this and that at points XYZ, use this gear in this specific way, and do things this ABC way so you get all the free stats". There is a level of strength to something just working and not needing additional system mastery for basic operation.

I feel like the PF owlcat games require a level of optimizing that's actually pretty tough, but I may also be comically bad at CRPGs

BG3 has been mostly pretty easy and breezy aside from the couple points I've asked questions about in the thread. Really the big setpiece stuff in Act 3 seems like a huge step up from the rest of the game, but still totally doable

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I feel like the PF owlcat games require a level of optimizing that's actually pretty tough, but I may also be comically bad at CRPGs

Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous are also iirc both working off Pathfinder 1st Edition, which was basically "we have 3.5e at home". I don't know to what extents that game tries to mess with the existing PF1e ruleset (I never got around to playing them), but PF 1e is just a much, much crunchier game at baseline than D&D 5e and often to its detriment in some places.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

My preferred build is I spawn 53 rune powder barrels on my enemies.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Monathin posted:

Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous are also iirc both working off Pathfinder 1st Edition, which was basically "we have 3.5e at home". I don't know to what extents that game tries to mess with the existing PF1e ruleset (I never got around to playing them), but PF 1e is just a much, much crunchier game at baseline than D&D 5e and often to its detriment in some places.

I never finished Kingmaker but there are just so many options and when I was looking up info on it lots of places said that it's absurdly easy to take something suboptimal at level 4 and basically cripple yourself as to make the endgame unbeatable.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Professor Beetus posted:

Maybe you should have just accepted a hug

Yeah no kidding. He wiped the floor with me yet again at level 5 and this time I don't have the gold to bring my PC back with Withers, and Bernard's camping my corpse. I stupidly assumed Sussur would immobilize him and that I could hit him with attacks without him getting to do a reaction AOE on everyone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The sussur flowers will shut down the guards but not Bernard himself. I beat him by just repeatedly knocking him off the platform and forcing him to waste turns taking the elevator back up.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm never going to beat this game. Mostly because, in typical me fashion, I keep making new characters.

That being said, what do people like for Warlock subclass, Fiend or Great Old One?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

10 Beers posted:

I'm never going to beat this game. Mostly because, in typical me fashion, I keep making new characters.

That being said, what do people like for Warlock subclass, Fiend or Great Old One?

fiend gets a broadly better spell selection, especially fireball, and i found its subclass features more consistently helpful in terms of survival and utility

i'd say that great old one's biggest flaw is that its spell list is, like, 90% concentration options, but those are all butting heads with what's arguably the best AoE control zone in the whole game (hunger of hadar), so it's hard to justify taking it aside from flavor

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

e: wrong thread!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Depends on what you're doing. GOO does not more typical mezzer/crowd-control with damage, which aligns more with classic Warlock than Fiend, but Fiend gets meaty damage options as bonus spells (eg Fireball) and also gets you a consistent pool of refreshing Temp HP for bladelocks (though said refreshing pool does lock you out of getting much use of Armor of Agathys, because of how Temp HP currently works, iirc)

e:

Vermain posted:

fiend gets a broadly better spell selection, especially fireball, and i found its subclass features more consistently helpful in terms of survival and utility

i'd say that great old one's biggest flaw is that its spell list is, like, 90% concentration options, but those are all butting heads with what's arguably the best AoE control zone in the whole game (hunger of hadar), so it's hard to justify taking it aside from flavor

GOO does get Hunger of Hadar's big brother in Evard's Black Tentacles, which is a mmreal motherfucker of a spell all on its own.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Monathin posted:

GOO does get Hunger of Hadar's big brother in Evard's Black Tentacles, which is a mmreal motherfucker of a spell all on its own.

i tend to put hadar higher because LoS blocking is ridiculously strong whenever you have an opportunity to bottleneck groups. the one really hard fight i had in act 3 (the githyanki group in the emperor's old office) became a thousand times easier once i positioned everyone out of LoS and laid down hunger on the stairwell, which forced everyone to funnel into the crippling blind zone one by one. probably works a treat during shadowheart's quest, too

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

also a total aside but it's such a good goddamn feeling to see BG3wiki finally topping fextralife's dogshit garbage pile on google's results, good riddance

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Being bad at the game is optimal cos it means more long rests.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The downside of choosing Murder a lot on a Durge run is you run out of long rest scenes pretty quickly.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Lord Bude posted:

To be more specific - you need to kill the orthon for Raphael, so he will translate the runes on Astarion’s back. I assume you have this quest, since Raphael meets you outside the crypt. Once you’ve killed the orthon to satisfy Raphael’s request, then you can safely go back and kill the rat horde to get their loot - but you gotta do it in the right order.

Not sure about this. I never got that quest from Raphael, either because I didn’t have Asterion in the party at that moment or because I always told Raphael to get lost as quickly as possible. So if you manage that you could help the Orthon without issue.

I also never spoke to Yurgir because I managed a weird approach where Karlach alerted to the ambush and I tried to use Mage Hand to swipe the gem, so he immediately turned hostile before I could trigger a dialogue.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

Not sure about this. I never got that quest from Raphael, either because I didn’t have Asterion in the party at that moment or because I always told Raphael to get lost as quickly as possible. So if you manage that you could help the Orthon without issue.

I also never spoke to Yurgir because I managed a weird approach where Karlach alerted to the ambush and I tried to use Mage Hand to swipe the gem, so he immediately turned hostile before I could trigger a dialogue.

I had him turn hostile in my current run too before I ever could talk to him. I think it's because I looted a chest that was flagged as his. And I went around his little area instead of walking straight into the ambush spot.

Vermain posted:

i tend to put hadar higher because LoS blocking is ridiculously strong whenever you have an opportunity to bottleneck groups. the one really hard fight i had in act 3 (the githyanki group in the emperor's old office) became a thousand times easier once i positioned everyone out of LoS and laid down hunger on the stairwell, which forced everyone to funnel into the crippling blind zone one by one. probably works a treat during shadowheart's quest, too

Hadar is my favorite spell in the game and is why I love playing Warlocks so much. It really does dominate when you place it in a good spot. Just wins fights all on its own.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Okay so I bought BG3 months ago, and I have yet to play it. It's a combination of being nervous trying a new genre, being distracted by other games, and various other daily poo poo. Gonna pull the band-aid and get this going.

So I want to start with a custom character, but I have no clue on what to choose, and I want you all to pick.

Note that I never played an RPG like Baldur's Gate before, I know nothing about the previous games, and have incredibly little knowledge of D&D.

So to a new and somewhat lost idiot like myself, what combination of race and class should I choose? You can also suggest what attributes I should look into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

Okay so I bought BG3 months ago, and I have yet to play it. It's a combination of being nervous trying a new genre, being distracted by other games, and various other daily poo poo. Gonna pull the band-aid and get this going.

So I want to start with a custom character, but I have no clue on what to choose, and I want you all to pick.

Note that I never played an RPG like Baldur's Gate before, I know nothing about the previous games, and have incredibly little knowledge of D&D.

So to a new and somewhat lost idiot like myself, what combination of race and class should I choose? You can also suggest what attributes I should look into.

Play sword bard (or lore bard), put charisma at 17 and like constitution at 15 or something and pick whatever race you think is coolest/cutest op

bard gets great dialogue options, you get to become a whirling dervish of death, you get to do all the charisma checks